WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Cory 17 – Hi everyone! 57 in southern Calif, kids are grown & gone, my wts been creeping up and up, though have gotten to where feel good a couple times. The last 2 years have had significant health issues (breast ca and hip replacement) and have to make it happen. I want to make it to retirement and actually be able to enjoy it.
    During Jan I was working on consistency, went back to work and getting back to the gym and swimming. So Feb goal is exercise 5x wk, at least 1 hr daily. If I leave home too late to get a full hour in, will make it up at lunch or after work walking.
    I’m new to this challenge site, your guidance is appreciated!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,411 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    jugar wrote: »
    Try to make your goal a bit more specific, and maybe add some consequences.

Your Personal Challenge: Exercise at least 4x a week

I'm not sure what a consequence would be if I don't achieve that though other than just feeling guilty and having to come back here to confess it lol.

Another alternative is to quantify your personal challenge to something measurable ... like (depending on the type of exercise you do) being able to point to ongoing increases
    • in weight lifted or
    • # reps/sets done or
    • endurance (able to do cardio-of-choice longer or at higher resistance) or
    • increase # of steps in your day by 5 per day
    • etc.
    as the month progresses

And you will Achieve this by ...... [specify what TYPE of exercising] at least 4 x a week.

It's called a S.M.A.R.T. goal
    • Specific,
    • Measurable,
    • Achievable,
    • Realistic [marches with a whole-life Reality Check, even if it is a stretch and something else comfortable yet counterproductive has to give in order to make room], and
    • Time-Bound [by/till the end of this month]

If you are just stepping away from being a die-hard couch potato, having a goal of "winning the local 15 km fun-run in March (6 weeks from now)" is Specific, Measurable and Time-Bound, but NOT likely going to be attainable.

"Finishing the local 5 km walk-a-thon in March" MIGHT be depending on your current general fitness baseline ....

If you have to juggle getting kids to various sports events or other personal standing weekly commitments / classes, then "working out for an hour at the gym everyday on the way home" is just not going to be realistic right now.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been my thorn. I know what to do as far as eating and logging, but exercise has never become a habit/daily activity for me. I usually enjoy it when I do it, but always have excuses or something for not doing it. Long, long ago in high school, I played sports. I used to hike almost every weekend with my family. I taught elementary school for over 20 years, so I was moving during the day. Lots of squatting down, steps, etc. But I am no longer teaching and now I watch my 9 month old granddaughter every day from 7:30 to after 5. I certainly move and crawl and burn calories caring for her, but with the uncooperative January weather, we only took a few walks. Boy, that was long winded. I’m looking for suggestions to fitting in exercise. Many times my daughter and SIL stay for dinner when picking her up. She is a super light and infrequent sleeper.

So, I’m looking for suggestions on the best time. I am not a morning person, so getting up at 5 and going to the gym probably isn’t for me. I do have a gym a couple miles from my house that I belong to and have an online Pilates membership that I never use.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Name: @evangsimmons170
    Your Personal Challenge: walking 7 miles a day
    2/1 – I'll post today's progress later tonight
    Comment: I started Run the Year 2019 last month as a way to keep myself motivated and exercising consistently. The ultimate goal is to walk 2,019 miles by 12/31/19.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Is this where I post my starting weight for February?

User = evangsimmons170
    Week = starting weight for February challenge
    Weigh-in Day = Monday (as of 1/28/19)
    Previous Weight = 347.2 (as of 1/28/19)
    Current Weight = see note below

Technically, my first weigh-in for February is 2/4/19. But I think I read the directions that said our starting weights had to be posted from our official weigh-in day 1/27 - 2/2. So I hope I did this right.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @micki48 is there something that you really enjoy doing that involves moving? (Waljing, dancing, pilates, ???) My suggestion would be to start with that. It is much easier to get started if it is something you can look forward to. Then, set small goals to build consistency and feel successful. Often, getting started is the hardest part.

You can do this!
  • micki48
    Options
    I enjoy walking, gardening, tennis, Pilates. But figuring out the best time to exercise is the hard part. I can walk with my granddaughter if the weather cooperates, but other than that it’s hard. Hubby doesn’t like to eat late, then I don’t want to exercise right after I eat. I just need to make time and do it Even 10 minutes here. Ten minutes there.
  • jan110144
    edited February 2019
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    I enjoy walking, gardening, tennis, Pilates. But figuring out the best time to exercise is the hard part. I can walk with my granddaughter if the weather cooperates, but other than that it’s hard. Hubby doesn’t like to eat late, then I don’t want to exercise right after I eat. I just need to make time and do it Even 10 minutes here. Ten minutes there.

Got it! Any chance you could do a quuck 20 minutes before your granddaughter arrives? Then perhaps you could add another with her later, weather permitting?

What about some sort of You Tube exercise while she naps? I'd bet there are s ed veal that team members here could recommend.

Of course, it won't be long before that 9 month old starts giving you a LOT more exercise! :smile:
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Last year was a very tough year for me and my family. I battled with a spur of the moment brain tumour. I went on a Monday in March down to the hospital and by Thursday I had surgery. The surgeon removed a 5 cm tumour. I had plans to go to California but had to cancel and spent the summer with Radiation Treatments (the tumour was called hemangiopericytoma).
    For several months, It affected me that I could not bend down, cough and my taste for foods. The hard part was the steroids. My sleep and eating patterns were very much affected, yet I continued to log my food. At my appointment in November I was told to indulge over the holidays and go for a vacation as there is only a 5 -10% chance the tumour will ever come back.
    I have to go every six months for an MRI for 3X and then once a year. I was lucky I was eating healthy, and down to my goal weight prior to this happening.. My goal is to get back to healthy eating and exercise. ( to fit back into my old clothes) I was very fortunate.
  • jan110144
    Options
    @sue_01 What a scarey and difficult thing to go through. So happy it has turned out well and the prognosis is so good. Welcome!
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a 59 year old mother of a 30 yr old son and a 26 year old daughter. I'm 5'2" and have struggled with my weight since I had my son. I traveled quite a bit for work and that proves to be a challenge when you are trying to eat healthier and exercise more. I love food and eating out everyday takes it told. To the tune of 50 lbs overweight. Like @evansgsimmons, I'm not sure if I post my weight here or not but since my weigh day is Friday, here goes.

Starting weight - 166.8
  • GettingFitTash
    GettingFitTash Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    GettingFitTash
    Personal Challenge - purposely exercising every day!
    2/1 - yes! Walked 1.5 miles, swiftly 😁
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,411 Member
    Options
    My daily fitness commitment for February (and have been consistent with achieving for the past less than two weeks) is to do 10 minutes of HIIT on my exercise bike before work. This gives me an extra ~120 calories I can eat through the day.

Thanks to this .... I met all three Daily Goals in my other reporting challenge. DIdn't have to use one of my 3 Intentional Passes on Day 1!!! (Discipline and Commitment really DOES lead from Goal to Accomplishment!

===============
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. 10 minutes HIIT on my bike before work, plus 17 minutes of jogging on my mini-trampoline / exergame after the theatre outing to make up the rest of the needed minutes.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes - DESPITE dinner (and dessert) after a workday, I managed to stay In the Green thanks to the 120 calories burned before work .... could have answered "yes" even without the extra 58 calories of the exergame if i hadn't needed to put in the time!
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes - including the 330 calorie ice cream cake for dessert.

I have been looking forward to this dinner + theatre night since NOVEMBER. Would have been willing to take an intentional pass on Day 1if I had to, because working around restaurant calories on a workday (when you can't get extra exercise calories "into the bank" ahead of time). But I didn't need to. YAY!!
  • micki48
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »

Got it! Any chance you could do a quuck 20 minutes before your granddaughter arrives? Then perhaps you could add another with her later, weather permitting?

What about some sort of You Tube exercise while she naps? I'd bet there are s ed veal that team members here could recommend.

Of course, it won't be long before that 9 month old starts giving you a LOT more exercise! :smile:

I will definitely try the 10 minutes before she gets here. I just need to give up that time on my phone. Or actually getting up when my alarm goes off will give me 15 minutes.

Thanks!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,141 Member
    Options
    A busy beginning of the month! I'll put all my answers and comments together in one message instead of creating a pileup.

@cory17 - welcome! It sounds like you know the drill - an hour a day is a good goal, and hopefully along with tracking your food to make sure everything stays within whatever your plan is. The main thing to know for this challenge is to post your weight here on your official weigh-in day (Thursday for you), and try to be an active team member. If you want to track steps, there is room on our stepping team competing against the other F2F teams :) There are always internal and inter-team challenges that you can do or not as you like, but they're often fun and always useful.

@evangsimmons170 - you are doing it all right! Your previous weigh-in is now your starting one for February, and you just post the next one on Monday as usual. I am impressed with your walking schedule! Those programs for reaching a specific walking/running goal can be great motivators. Keep us posted with your results!

@leni1us - Welcome to you as well! Your starting weight is posted and you just update it here next Friday. I'm also really short (5'1") and it is certainly a struggle getting down to the weight we should be at. But the advantage is that every pound gone really shows!! We look taller when we shrink in circumference as well :blush: Stick with it and you'll get there!

@GettingFitTash - well done! I like hearing what everyone is doing for the fitness part of their routine.

@micki48 - this conversation is really interesting. Finding the "right" time is tricky. Fitting in 10 minutes here and there can work, but if mornings aren't your thing, aim for nap time or use the granddaughter as a weight! just kidding... but they do kind of look like unwieldy kettlebells. with extra parts. and they wiggle, which is apparently an important part of core training. :smiley:

For myself, I had a disappointing first day of February. My planned workout got displaced by having to help out mother-in-law and then daughter at the last minute. I didn't reach my stepping goal either, and then I ate pizza and drank beer with said daughter while we cleaned her house prior to her flying off to Edmonton today. Oh well. TODAY I will do my full strength workout AND go snowshoeing with a friend. And no more beer all week. I will feel much better tomorrow morning than I did this morning!
  • micki48
    Options
    @jugar LOL I actually do use her as a weight. She’s 19.6 pounds and I do use her for curls! She loves it. I also press her up and down over my head. I know it’s burning calories, but not sure it’s quite enough. Although, I am tired after 10 hours, especially on days that she is Miss No Nap. Thanks again. I got in a 20 minute Pilates workout this am and I am aiming to beat my steps from yesterday.

Steps (We are to record them here now, right?)
    2/1 - 5,717

Not sure if I put my weight here for week 1 (since it’s only been one day) or wait til next Saturday?
  • jan110144
    Options
    I know it’s burning calories, but not sure it’s quite enough. Although, I am tired after 10 hours, especially on days that she is Miss No Nap. Thanks again. I got in a 20 minute Pilates workout this am

Great!!! I suspect that you are doing a lot more than you think!! If you can squeeze in those 20 minutes of intentional exercise, I think you will be off to a wonderful start!
  • willrunformartinis
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Vanessa and yes, I will run after a martini. I’ve never had a problem with my weight until I got into my 30’s and suffered some blows one after another. I had a pace maker put in at 34, then taken out because it went septic and it almost killed me. It was a miss diagnosis the entire time. I lost my mother unexpectedly while I was visiting her. Most recently I miscarried and didn’t even know I had. Im usually a very positive person but since these things have happened I am dealing with depression for the first time in my life. I’m 36 yrs old now and I work in retail and you would think I would get some good step counts in but as soon as I get home I just drop on the couch and don’t want to move. I give myself a super hard time with being lazy and using food as a reward. I’m hoping that being part of this challenge will help keep me motivated and in a healthy mind space. It’s already bringing out my competitive spirit!
  • willrunformartinis
    Options
    Challenge : 8k steps a day/ 224k for the month of February

I think this will keep me moving and not stuck on the coach.

2/1- 8196 steps. Went great yesterday! I was under 7k at 6pm and I got up and danced around my house until I got to 8k 💃🏾
  • jan110144
    Options
    @willlrunformartinis Great goal for February. You have been through a lot. Fortunately, good dietary habits and exercise are also helpful for battling depression. Also, keep posting and share how you are doing so we can help you move forward.
This discussion has been closed.