Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @shanaber she was pleased with progress, all my contractures have just about gone now and she's happy with and approves of me building back up following c25k then keep slowly building from there. She even approved my 'only 5 or 10k races until the autumn and a possible HM in November' comment :-)
    I have to go back every 4-6 weeks for her to 'sort my muscles out', but she's on holiday in March so it will actually only be 3 weeks this time. Expensive but worth it so far. Still managed to find sore spots and leave bruises on them even though the muscles are supposedly better though, evil indeed!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    That is great news!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @shanaber Yeah, I was so happy (and frustrated the weather was so horrific on Friday I had to stick to the dreadmill) to get out and run a bit this morning that even though it was bloody cold (for our standards) and blowing a gale I was jogging along singing my head off with a Cheshire cat grin plastered across my face. Got a few very funny looks from the bikers and drivers lol. It's frustrating holding myself back and forcing myself to respect the C25k intervals, but I realise I need to be sensible and not overdo it again. So looking forward to that much-dreaded 20 minute non-stop run on Saturday!
    How are you getting on, has the pool heated up yet?
  • shanaber
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins - we haven't turned the heater back on yet. It has been storming here with significant rain and cold (not cold like the middle of the US though) so we are just waiting to even try again. Maybe later this week.

I am pretty sure I know that smile and have gotten similar reactions here! Glad you were able to get out for a run! I am hoping to get out for a walk with Hobbes between/before the rain this next week.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @shanaber oh God I always do that with medical types, get stressed out and just go blank. I used to scoff at the 'write your questions down and take them with you' suggestions but now I see the point of that!
    Sounds like good stuff all in all though, glad for you! I hear you on the out of breath thing too, everyone says not to worry so much and you don't lose your condition as quickly as you think but in my case I lost a lot VERY quickly. I went from running a HM to stuggling 2 months later to run for 10 minutes.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins - it has been almost 4 months for me but I had hoped the cycling I was doing was helping at least a little bit but I guess not.
    I am going to start with some very short run intervals - 5 min walk 1 min run and see how that goes.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins - it has been almost 4 months for me but I had hoped the cycling I was doing was helping at least a little bit but I guess not.
    I am going to start with some very short run intervals - 5 min walk 1 min run and see how that goes.

Sounds good... as I was under strict orders to take it really gently I started over with C25k. Frustrating as heck at first but now I'm onto the last weeks of it it's better.
    I think probably part of the problem, for me at least, is mental rather than really physical. At least I hope so!
  • shanaber
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Wow @elise4270 - not at all the news you were hoping to hear! I hope he is wrong and like you said just not letting you get your hopes up and then be disappointed that you can't run for a while. We will just plan to meet and run in Hawaii in 2021 instead of 2020!

I hope the other kitties accept your beary (boo beary) soon so you can all snuggle on the couch!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Wow @elise4270 - not at all the news you were hoping to hear! I hope he is wrong and like you said just not letting you get your hopes up and then be disappointed that you can't run for a while. We will just plan to meet and run in Hawaii in 2021 instead of 2020!

I hope the other kitties accept your beary (boo beary) soon so you can all snuggle on the couch!

Nah Eric's already finding me bike rides in Hawaii. Yay!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I managed back-to-back runs this weekend. Even though I'm not advised to do that by my PT, I wanted to test the waters. I figured my hips would get really tight, but in actuality it was not problematic at all and this has been my most painless week since my injury. Very happy about that!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Evil physio just introduced me to dry needling. Ouch.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Evil physio just introduced me to dry needling. Ouch.

Yes, but did it help?

I did my intervals again today... My legs are still so sore from Strength Training on Tuesday with lots of squats and core work that I wasn't sure that I would finish my run. I also had a little niggling in my foot again when I was walking. I don't know if it was real or if I am just hyper sensitive that I might hurt it again. Once I got up to the actual paved trail though my foot felt fine and I was able to finish with a bit over 3 miles. I did take it much slower overall so that may have helped my foot too. My legs were just too sore to go any faster.

I see the PT and the Ortho doc again next week so maybe I will be able to increase my running a bit more.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @shanaber last night I would have said no, this morning I think possibly yes! Trouble was I had walked there, then had to walk home fast (husband was supposed to be picking our daughter up from class but got distracted by a flat tyre *sigh*) and walking on the 'bad leg' after she dug around in there with a needle made me entire calf seize up. Felt sick by the time I got home, I guess it was the wimp's equivalent of running with a cramp.
    Then I had to stand and do the ironing for an hour, so by the time I got to go to bed it was pretty painful. Stuck a heated pad on it and this morning it doesn't seem to hurt anywhere near as much, and the sore spot underneath seems to have gone. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to run on it.

Fingers crossed they give you the green light for more running. Slow definitely seems to be the way to go!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I have flashbacks to dry needling.

I will say by the third session the cramping was not as bad and resolved faster.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Oh gosh I have flashbacks to dry needling.

I will say by the third session the cramping was not as bad and resolved faster.

All I could think as I read third session was UGH lol. My calves actually feel like brand new now, but my knees feel very tired today and legs feel like they weigh a ton and a half or so. Guess that's what they mean by leaden legs...
  • shanaber
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins and @sarahthes - wow that sounds intense! Not sure I could do it...
    Maybe your legs are tired and leaden from trying to walk home fast after she worked on them so much. Especially if your gait was a bit different to compensate?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I could barely move after my first 2 sessions! When the needle hit the spot it made my entire leg contract from ankle to butt.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @shanaber yes I think that's part of the problem, plus Thursdays are heavy duty days for me as it is because I run and strength train AND stretch so they are allowed to be grumpy with me today. Only today though cause tomorrow they have to run, and Sunday they have to hike!

I was phobic about needles when I was young, then when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes so there was a LOT of drawing blood and pricking my fingers to check my sugar levels. THEN I was given a lot of nasty psoriasis treatments that I had to learn to inject myself with, so let's just say I'm not bothered by needles any more. I really didn't notice them apart from a little sting on the way in, until she started digging about with the ones where the muscles weren't relaxing on their own. It was... interesting...

@sarahthes I actually asked her if she's ever been kicked doing that, cause I was sure at any moment the spasms were going to make my leg jerk up and smack her in the mouth!