Options

Replies

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Step Check-In

6th - 2423
    7th - 7455

I work nights and woke up Wednesday feeling like crud. I'm back to work this weekend so I'll get lost of steps in
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Friday Check In
    Calories: under
    Exercise: walk this morning then a trip to the gym tonight. After my workout, which did include those Mountain Climbers, I discovered the hydro massage chair! Oh my goodness! I may be going to the gym more often just to earn 10 min in that!!!
    Tomorrow: more rain, so figure out ways to be active.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Friday check in
    Calories; over
    Water; over
    Exercise; 30 mins B:Strong, 69 mins Spin, skillmill
    Tomorrow; hard cardio day

Steps; 8229
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    Appalachian Trail Mission Slimpossibles Thru Hike Step Challenge

Wake up and Smell the Coffee!

Distance so far: 237 miles

Over the last hundred miles, we have made our way into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The trail runs along the ridgeline that separates North Carolina and Tennessee, so we literally walk in North Carolina for a while and Tennessee for a while, then back and forth over and over again. The Smokies offer us some of the best vistas in the southern half of the trail, and we cross the highest point on the entire AT when we climb up Clingman’s Dome (6643 ft above sea level) at the halfway point of the trail through the Smokies.

lqmhqxp9aco4.jpg

hyu45xwu175k.jpg

Even if you have heard of the University of Tennessee Volunteer’s fight song, Rocky Top, you might not know that the real Rocky Top is an actual place--the summit of one of the many peaks we will cross here in the Smokies--Thunderhead Mountain. It is aptly named for the rocky outcroppings along the peak, through which we do our stepping.

z2hbrb3ceccq.jpg

There is a pair of Timber Rattlers that hang out on Rocky Top; they love the warmth of the rocks on a sunny day, where at this elevation, it is always a bit chilly. They’re pretty used to people, but if you’re smart, you’ll leave them alone. You’re a LONG way from rescue if you make one mad enough to strike at you!

gzfe90rzx0ew.jpg

Since the Smokies receive over 10 million visitors each year and is a fragile habitat for so many protected creatures, hikers must stay in shelters while along the AT in the Park. We are not allowed to pitch our tents unless the shelters are full. This is part of the Leave No Trace wilderness code of ethics for trips in the Smokies. These 3-sided structures give some protection from the elements, but it can still get very cold up on this ridgeline even in the summer time.

2hyj8s2hzjma.jpg

Protected in the Park are some 65 species of mammals, over 200 varieties of birds, 67 native fish species, and more than 80 types of reptiles and amphibians. It is estimated that over 1500 black bears call the park home, and it is highly likely we will have seen one before we leave. They are such majestic creatures, you're heart will beat harder in your chest and you will find yourself holding your breath if you are lucky enough to encounter one. They are awesome!

t5wyu2yf4smt.png

The shelters do offer us a place to actually sit at a “table” and cook and eat our meals, and it's a nice change from always sitting on the ground or fallen logs. And yes, @19shmoo69, you CAN have coffee on an AT hike. You just have to be, shall we say, creative! Some options for brewing coffee on our backpacking trip include Starbucks instant coffee, filtering the old-fashioned way, and even some pretty cool French Press gadgets made specifically for backpacking stoves. Going without coffee for many hikers, though, is unconscionable, myself included. So come on over and let's share some brew!

jb92gleb9h12.png

Many AT hikers get off the trail in the middle of the Smokies to take a day or two break in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Since there is only one road which crosses the AT in GSMNP, most hikers take advantage of that road and go to Gatlinburg to resupply, purchasing food, doing laundry, sleeping in a real bed, etc. while in town. Many hitchhike down even if they don’t spend the night there. Much like Helen, GA, this tourist town provides a sensory overload for hikers, but offers lots of things to do if you need a break from putting one foot in front of the other, or if your poor old joints are just tired. If you venture down the road to Pigeon Forge, you might even get a glimpse of Dolly Parton, this area’s favorite hometown girl and famous country music icon. The one thing Tennesseans agree on, even in this time of political arguing wherever you go, is that they will fight you if you say anything bad about our Dolly! ;)

43wwqh3xpbch.png

Exercise Challenge: Mountain Climbers
    Since we have climbed some of the highest mountains on the AT during this part of our trip, let’s add some mountain climbers to our exercise routine. These can be done just a few at a time any time of day. I've already done some this morning! If you’ve never done this exercise before, here’s a video or two to help us learn to do them correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBZHkGT0W5Y

They can also be done on a step, which may be a little easier for us beginners. I just use the bottom step on the stairs that go to the second story of my home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o3PvdKoEgM

Well you almost got me teared up. Thanks this is a wonderful walk.
  • 19shmoo69
    Options
    12975 steps
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    @UTMom81 that is fantastic, will do the mountain climbers tomorrow!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Steps for the 8th - 10104
  • angielove88
    angielove88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @UTMom81 omg. Mountain climbers are the death of me...and maybe some other ones at the moment. They've gotten a bit easier to to as I've lost a few pounds.
  • angielove88
    angielove88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Friday check in:

Calories: under
    Water: on target
    Exercise: 30 min Pilates and 10 min abs

Steps 3/8: 8,584: Fitbit was running really low on battery today so wasn't able to track more.

Tmrw is a travel day so will be in car for about 6 hours 🙄. If we have to stop I'm gonna try and get out of the car and walk a bit.

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Friday check in:

Calories: on target
    Water: on target, shooting for more before bed
    Exercise: 60 min walk

Steps for 03/08 - 10,853
  • 19shmoo69
    Options
    19shmoo69
    Week-1
    Weigh in day-to-day Saturday
    Previous weight 249
    Current weight- 243

• broncobuddee
    broncobuddee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    5jspd9nvxmdy.jpg

Just a few weigh ins missing to close out week one. If I missed yours - sorry!

@samuel1860
    @girlfacedolly
    @deconstructeddancer
    @dee_toronto
    @digger61
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wow nice loss @19shmoo69. I might have to start drinking coffee
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,795 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Friday 3/8
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    Water: over
    Exercise: 80 mins swimming
    goals today: walking snow shoveling
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,795 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    19shmoo69 wrote: »
    19shmoo69
    Week-1
    Weigh in day-to-day Saturday
    Previous weight 249
    Current weight- 243

great loss Coffee helps
  • deconstructeddancer
    deconstructeddancer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Username: deconstructeddancer
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 286.6
    Todays Weight: 286.2
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @UTMom81 omg. Mountain climbers are the death of me...and maybe some other ones at the moment. They've gotten a bit easier to to as I've lost a few pounds.

I just do them slow and steady. And not too many at a time. I don’t do the jumps between like some folks can. But I too am getting stronger! Feels good, doesn’t it?
  • dee_toronto
    dee_toronto Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Username: dee_toronto
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 177
    Todays Weight: 177.5
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 692 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options