Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

Options

Replies

• lorilrob
    lorilrob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Lori and I would like to lose 10 pounds. I’ve just turned 60 and am concerned how a couple of pounds every year could affect my health. I walk 5km to work and back every day plus swimming a couple days a week and some strength training. I do really well logging and eating during the week than the weekend hits and the wine flows and I don’t log what I eat. I hope posting my weight every week will help me be accountable.
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Rebecca. I am 27, from the UK and looking to lose 134lbs.

My heaviest was 304lbs
    My current is 278.2 lbs
    My goal is 170lbs

I have PCOS and the BRCA1 gene.
    I do strength training twice a week and have done since November 2018. I also have a horse and dog which keep me quite active.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca. You’re a similar weight to what I was. I have lost over 50lbs and aim to lose 150 if not more. I’ll see how it goes haha. And one of my goals is to get a horse as well :)
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Quite a few ‘Rebeccas’ here haha. Welcome to you all. :)
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    wobblemcwobbleface Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - a bit new to social media (Newbe I believe) , hence the name and the photo of my lovely dog

I am at last seriously seeking to change my life health wise. I am a 54 yr. old office worker and lead a rather stressful and sedentary life (no risk there then...) so thought this is it, time to take this in hand once and for all. I have a few challenges this year - a 6k swim , a 10k swim , a 60 mile walk ( over 2 days ) and a bike ride from London to Paris, so no pressure there then....

My journey starts at 15.11 (I was over 16.2 over Christmas - yikes!) and am aiming - long term for 13.7 which I think is a realistic weight for me. Hopefully I can achieve this - certainly the app says I will, but as I have actually been a member since 2013 (apparently) so far I had to increase the weight setting...

Well week one and 4 lbs down, I know that is week one and the first weeks are the easiest so I am under no illusions here. Doing this has really made me realise that really it is more about good food choices and bad food choices - we all know that , it is not hard to understand but when it seems the whole of our consumer society is geared up to help you fail in that task boy is it hard- chocolate being a bit of a downfall for me - the popular peanut chocolate coated egg shaped chocolates in yellow packets do like me - a lot.

Anyway - I weigh in Monday morning but if there is a common weigh day I will change days
    I will try and let you know ( if anyone really reads these and cares ) how I get on. I need some accountability to make sure I don't cheat ( too much)

Thank you for reading this far

best

Wobble
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - a bit new to social media (Newbe I believe) , hence the name and the photo of my lovely dog

I am at last seriously seeking to change my life health wise. I am a 54 yr. old office worker and lead a rather stressful and sedentary life (no risk there then...) so thought this is it, time to take this in hand once and for all. I have a few challenges this year - a 6k swim , a 10k swim , a 60 mile walk ( over 2 days ) and a bike ride from London to Paris, so no pressure there then....

My journey starts at 15.11 (I was over 16.2 over Christmas - yikes!) and am aiming - long term for 13.7 which I think is a realistic weight for me. Hopefully I can achieve this - certainly the app says I will, but as I have actually been a member since 2013 (apparently) so far I had to increase the weight setting...

Well week one and 4 lbs down, I know that is week one and the first weeks are the easiest so I am under no illusions here. Doing this has really made me realise that really it is more about good food choices and bad food choices - we all know that , it is not hard to understand but when it seems the whole of our consumer society is geared up to help you fail in that task boy is it hard- chocolate being a bit of a downfall for me - the popular peanut chocolate coated egg shaped chocolates in yellow packets do like me - a lot.

Anyway - I weigh in Monday morning but if there is a common weigh day I will change days
    I will try and let you know ( if anyone really reads these and cares ) how I get on. I need some accountability to make sure I don't cheat ( too much)

Thank you for reading this far

best

Wobble

Welcome @wobblemcwobbleface I too started using MFP a long, long time ago (2011 to be precise) but never successfully lost weight because I had exactly the mindset I am reading in the bolded above - thinking specific foods were good and bad and feeling guilty if I enjoyed chocolate, etc.

Roll on 2016 and I finally started to read through the forums and added some friends from there (having previously added real world friends who'd stick at it for 2 weeks then disappear). I realised a couple of things:
    • I don't need to starve to lose weight (previously I almost always ended up setting myself to 1200 calories because I chose to quick of a weight loss rate and the wrong activity level)
    • I can eat all the things I like and still lose weight (I just need to eat smaller portions of them)
    • Weight loss isn't linear (never really understood water weight fluctuations before so I would rage quit if I saw a gain after starving all week)
    • Having a day/a couple of days/a week or even a month when I eat more than my calorie goal, isn't a failure, it's a lesson and it usually doesn't have as big of an impact in the long run as I think it's going to. I just have to work out why I felt the need to eat more and work on preventing doing the same thing again in the future.
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    Options
    Tinkerbellang83

thanks for your reply - I am going to try and not beat myself up too much but I am also trying to wean myself off junk food - that is the sort of food that just cries out to me.... I am hoping my rather sweet tooth may subside but I am a bit of a sugar fiend - guess that answers a lot of why my middle is in the way it is. I did discover Aldi's low/no sugar cola sherbets - 2 cal. per sweet ( yum yum and full of essential vitamins ...) - managed to down the box, meh - only 140 odd cals. but also a few unwanted side effects - so for fast weight loss - sorbitol is the key.....

I will try and post something of use . Must swim tonight as training for my Swims ( 6k and 10k ) ( need to beat my sister but she is very competitive and I am a bit lazy really hey ho ). I managed 3k swim on Saturday (120 lengths ) so was pleased with that but did get cramp so will buy some electrolytes ( the Dioralite is a cheap easy option - that has loads of salts etc. ) to help with the cramp. for the boredom of the swim I have bought some underwater headphones (finis ones that sit on your cheek bones not your ears - they are surprising good and manage to get through the extra insulation...) - the last waterproof MP3 player lot died on me as did ABBA who were stuck in a loop at the time.... I don't dislike ABBA but not over and over

W
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Tinkerbellang83

thanks for your reply - I am going to try and not beat myself up too much but I am also trying to wean myself off junk food - that is the sort of food that just cries out to me.... I am hoping my rather sweet tooth may subside but I am a bit of a sugar fiend - guess that answers a lot of why my middle is in the way it is. I did discover Aldi's low/no sugar cola sherbets - 2 cal. per sweet ( yum yum and full of essential vitamins ...) - managed to down the box, meh - only 140 odd cals. but also a few unwanted side effects - so for fast weight loss - sorbitol is the key.....

I will try and post something of use . Must swim tonight as training for my Swims ( 6k and 10k ) ( need to beat my sister but she is very competitive and I am a bit lazy really hey ho ). I managed 3k swim on Saturday (120 lengths ) so was pleased with that but did get cramp so will buy some electrolytes ( the Dioralite is a cheap easy option - that has loads of salts etc. ) to help with the cramp. for the boredom of the swim I have bought some underwater headphones (finis ones that sit on your cheek bones not your ears - they are surprising good and manage to get through the extra insulation...) - the last waterproof MP3 player lot died on me as did ABBA who were stuck in a loop at the time.... I don't dislike ABBA but not over and over

W

When I lost my first 20lbs I was eating Domino's personal pizza with the doughballs side once per week, eating at the pub almost every saturday and I have continued to eat chocolate on pretty much a daily basis. The difference is that I either eat in the form of a protein bar (PHD or Fulfil) which I find more filling and I have a pretty balanced diet the rest of the week with plenty of fruit and veg.

MyProtein do an Electrolyte complex for about £10 for 3 month's supply has Magnesium, Sodium Chloride, Potassium & Calcium in it, just bought some myself, I normally order in Magnesium from iHerb in the states along with my Melatonin to help me sleep but sleep is much improved now and I could do with a bit more potassium in my diet so switched to the MyProtein one.

I can't think of anything worse than having Abba stuck on loop play :lol:
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone,
    My name is Terri and I live in Pennsylvania. I would like to lose 65 lbs.

Terri you can definitely do it. Take your time. Sometimes taking advice from every single person can be detrimental because it leaves one not knowing what to do. Do what works for you. I wish you success on this endeavor. I want to lose 57 pounds to get down to 130. Well 140 would be nice too. I was 140 for years at a size 10. But somehow, I think that 140 now would make me look superthin. Im 5'4'' We shall see.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, My name is Vikki, this is my 110th time trying to lose this weight, I always do good for a while and then stop, I do great during the week, then weekends kill me.. I'm hoping for a better spring and summer than last year, it rained constantly, so hopefully this spring and summer I will be able to spend more time outside. I am starting at 184, hoping to get down to around 140, but more importantly I want to just increase my physical well being, I don't have any medical issues, but I know at my age (47) this is when they start to pop up, I also have some lower back and neck issues that will be helped by lowering my weight and increasing my physical activity and flexibility...
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    Options
    well done Vikki - I am doing this for similar reasons ( I am a bit older than you and they have caught up ) - As someone who has had recent issues with his back you need to move more , stretch and find something that exercises your core etc. ( I am trying to loose weight , exercise etc. - I also do Tai chi, which despite the hippy look, is really good and is a lot harder than you think) I ended up in emergency on serious painkillers as could not move from my desk so beware it does creep up. Our modern life of sitting behind a computer is not good and I suspect in 30 years or so it will be looked back on with horror, a bit like the old workhouse
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi Wobble, I completely agree about the old workhorse theory.. they now say sitting all day is worse than smoking, I try to get up and move often, as I work 10 hour days, but I know I don't do it enough... Once the weather gets nicer, I will start taking walks at lunch time.. Yes the back issues are tough, I am currently under the care of a chiropractor for my neck after a year of pain pills, nerve blockers, and muscle relaxers, I had a few bulging discs, and reverse lordosis, which means my neck was curved the opposite way.. that happens mainly from poor posture, but it's also called text neck ( Looking down at your phone constantly), I've been going there since Nov, and we finally have my neck curving the right way, and the discs are back to where they are supposed to be, and I feel uncomfortable slouching now, and I got rid of my facebook, because I looked at it constantly, it was sad... So I am determined not to be in that type of pain ever again. My lower back has an issue that is not fixable without surgery, but I've had it for so long I know how to move and alleviate the pains without any medication, so that's good, and I don't get the pains if I do my daily exercises... I like Yoga, I just need to make the commitment to do it daily, even if its just for 15 minutes.. I will get there...
  • caninetrix
    caninetrix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I’m Tracy, 46yo and from California. I’m 4’11 and 205.6 pounds today. I’m new to MFP as I usually track my food and exercise through fitbit (when I actually am trying to be good). But I googled online weekly weighins and it brought me here so I am glad I found the site and this group! For work, I am a Police/Fire Dispatcher so I have a lot of long, stressful days where I tend to be sedentary a good portion. I try to remind myself to get up and at least stand but sometimes I just get lazy about it or forget. When we have adequate staffing I do have the opportunity to work out while on duty. We get 70 minutes, which includes changing, showering, etc. It’s a little hit-and-miss on whether I can do it, but I’m trying to plan ahead each week and take advantage of those times instead of making excuses. My preferred workout is kickboxing. I go to a gym for classes (no sparring) but when my schedule doesn’t work right then I can do it at work or at a different gym that has bags. I seriously need to make some changes with my health. Luckily I have not had any official medical diagnoses related to my weight but I’m sure if I lost, my breathing problems would get better and it’s only a matter of time before they say pre-diabetic or diabetic. And I’m just not happy this way. So, that is why I came here! A little weekly motivation and accountability is exactly what I need. I also plan on blogging as I enjoy writing and sometimes saying things “out loud” helps me face things more seriously and motivate me. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here, my weekly weigh ins will be on Thursdays so off I go to weigh in. 😊
  • dielithium
    dielithium Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, Ive been a member of MFP for about a year, but only in the last two weeks I;ve been in the mindset to actually stick to it for more than a few days. Im a previous WW member and really like the accountability of the weekly weigh in, which drew me to this group. I've lost two kg in the two weeks since I started. I live in Western Australia & am 51 years old.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    @dielithium welcome . I am not here all the time. It does t look like a yone is...well here goes

SW:260

LW 184.8

CW:181.4

OL::79 lbs
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @dielithium welcome . I am not here all the time. It does t look like a yone is...well here goes

SW:260

LW 184.8

CW:181.4

OL::79 lbs

Hey @lleeann2001 can you post your weigh ins in the relevant week. There are threads set up for each week :smile:
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Diane. I am 60+ and weigh 180ish. I am on a weight gain trajectory that I have to get off of. I have been in MFP groups before and have difficulty sticking to it. I have a busy, stressful life and so many things throw me off track. I am beginning to feel my age a bit and this extra weight certainly is not helping. I am healthy but not very active and I do not enjoy gyms or exercise. Sometimes I feel young and healthy and sometimes I feel old and fat. I love to cook and I really enjoy food.
    Easy to see why I have trouble
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Michelle and I want to get myself down to 70kg. I started, AGAIN, at the start of this year at 102kg and I'm now under 95kg. I also changed my birth control as I felt it was very hard to lose weight with the implant...

I find it very hard to stick to a routine for a few reasons... I have 5 kids, 3, 4, 13, 16 & 18) and with all the kids comes a whole heap of unexpected stuff! I also go through phases and get bored easily! Plus I love food that doesn't love me! :D (well maybe it does love me as it stays around way too long!)

I'm currently using dietbet as motivation and it seems to be working! I now have the knowledge that if I eat crap it could actually cost me money! I've invested $35 into one game and have rolled over my winnings into 2 more games! I've also gone all out and added a healthy wage bet to lose 50lbs this year. I stand to lose $385! So far it really is working! My plan is to use all my winnings for new clothes! ;) maybe a pair of irregular choice shoes! o:)<3
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm Michelle and I want to get myself down to 70kg. I started, AGAIN, at the start of this year at 102kg and I'm now under 95kg. I also changed my birth control as I felt it was very hard to lose weight with the implant...

I find it very hard to stick to a routine for a few reasons... I have 5 kids, 3, 4, 13, 16 & 18) and with all the kids comes a whole heap of unexpected stuff! I also go through phases and get bored easily! Plus I love food that doesn't love me! :D (well maybe it does love me as it stays around way too long!)

I'm currently using dietbet as motivation and it seems to be working! I now have the knowledge that if I eat crap it could actually cost me money! I've invested $35 into one game and have rolled over my winnings into 2 more games! I've also gone all out and added a healthy wage bet to lose 50lbs this year. I stand to lose $385! So far it really is working! My plan is to use all my winnings for new clothes! ;) maybe a pair of irregular choice shoes! o:)<3

@Sparx_81 welcome. I am also using Healthy Wage and StepBet :+1:
    Tried Dietbet before, but didn't like the fact you have to go by their rate of loss.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Chris in San Diego, California. I'm feeling a surge of optimism over the last couple of weeks and have some solid short term plans, so I thought I'd pile on the goodness and join this group. In the time I've spent on MFP I've had two big weight drops. One came back and then some. The second drop was a little less dramatic and the weight regain wasn't quite so high either.

What buzzes in the back of my head is: sure doing the weightloss feels great, I know I can do it, but what oh what in the world does it look like to get to goal weight and then MAINTAIN it? As I just start this third assault on hitting a more health goal weight, that question is my northstar.