March 2019 group?

Replies

• jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    showjumper wrote: »
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    Sounds like everyone is killing it!! Nice work.

I finished up week 1 (again) on Friday. My legs hurt from my dressage lesson the night before so I probably should have waited until Saturday, but I pushed through and got it done. Yesterday was a rest day and today will be a hike.

Week 2 starts tomorrow.

I try and run the morning of my lessons. That way if my trainers are particularly evil I have 2-2.5 days to recover before my next run... also try and stretch after you ride as well as after you run... it can be a tough balancing act specially now, for me, leading into show season.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now it isn’t getting light out early enough for me to run before work...but it should be in a couple of weeks so I’ll keep that in mind. I definitely need to start stretching after I ride!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Week 8 run 2 complete. I accidentally loaded the podcast for week 7 at the beginning. When announcer told me I was half way done at 12.5 minutes I knew the math was wrong. I freaked out inside wondering how I would know when to stop running. Then I realized I just needed to keep running 3 more minutes at the end once she announces the cool down walk. My Fitbit says I ran 29 minutes instead of 28. Distance was 2.25 miles. I’ll definitely watch more carefully Tuesday when it’s time to run again.
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Realised it's going to be semi dark in the morning when I run, meh!
  • Coffeeonice
    Coffeeonice Posts: 303 Member
    Week 5 day 1 completed today. 5 min run, 3 min walk, 6 min run, 3 min walk and 5 min run.
    I really though the second and third runs would never end.
    Week 5 day 2 is the same except middle run is 8 mins followed by a 5 min walk, so a total of 18 mins running. I don't know if I will manage that. I am going to take @emmamcgarity advice and slow my runs down. Fingers crossed.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I'm back! Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Yesterday was the first day that I felt almost normal in almost two weeks. I coach Girls on the Run this afternoon and will try to do a C25k run afterwards, depending on how I feel. I'll probably drop back to week 2 again. :|
  • Just_Ceci
    I did not run yesterday, my sinuses said no way! Bicycling season is back on us and I have scheduled rides on Tuesday and Thursday (weather permitting). I have to throw in runs as I can, so we'll see how my progress goes.
  • kilobykilo
    Welcome back @Just_Ceci !

Well done @pratainua

I didn't do week 4 day 2 today as I'm exhausted this week, but hope to get up early enough tomorrow to manage it!
  • emmamcgarity
    Week 8 run 3 complete. It was a lot harder for me this time. I think I started out too confident and was going a little too fast. I really wanted to walk about half way through but slowed my jog into what I now consider my “recovery jog pace” and kept telling myself I could finish if I paced myself. When I finally finished the 28 minutes I realized that I could have actually continued running a little longer. Maybe it was all a mental battle. But it’s done. Whew. Just a little more than 2 1/4 miles total.
  • emmamcgarity
    I wanted to share one more tip that helps me when I am running. Most songs are around 3 minutes. So I make a note to keep running for another song instead of keep checking my phone for the time to see if it’s almost over. It usually helps me with the mental game.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    I wanted to share one more tip that helps me when I am running. Most songs are around 3 minutes. So I make a note to keep running for another song instead of keep checking my phone for the time to see if it’s almost over. It usually helps me with the mental game.

So funny you should say this... I did W5 D2 on Monday and went into the 8 min run thinking it’s only 3 songs... it’ll be over before the next song is done... I also find that if a good song comes on I find a bit more in the tank...
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    I’ve been slacking on starting W2. Today is 30mph winds :-/
  • kilobykilo
    I did week 4 day 2 this Evening after failing again to get up and do it this morning. It was wild and windy and I loved it! 5 minute intervals somehow make more sense to me than 3..... found my groove and zoned out, being knackered might help with that!
  • emmamcgarity
    I’ve decided to take an extra rest day before week 9
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    I’ve decided go re do week 5 starting Monday as I am on day 2 of a 5 day horse show... also not thinking I’m really ready to do 20 min straight 🙄
  • kilobykilo
    Week four day three done, in all the weathers...... realised running in rain is quite nice, but in hail, no!

I'm looking forward to the challenge of 8 minute run sections on Sunday, I know I'm fit enough but am intrigued to see how my mental toughness reacts.....!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    @showjumper running is 90% mental so don't talk yourself out of it before you even try!
  • Just_Ceci
    showjumper wrote: »
    I’ve decided go re do week 5 starting Monday as I am on day 2 of a 5 day horse show... also not thinking I’m really ready to do 20 min straight 🙄

You are ready. Just take is slow and steady.
  • emmamcgarity
    edited April 2019
    Week 9 run 1 complete - I decided to run in my neighborhood instead of at the park since I was in a time crunch. 75 F outside and 85% humidity was a bit tough but I pressed on through the heat. I should have gone earlier in the morning. My distance was around 2.5 miles. So I am getting close to the 5k goal. I’ll need to investigate air conditioned options once Summer arrives
  • Coffeeonice
    Coffeeonice Posts: 303 Member
    You are all doing well. I haven't had a chance to do my second run of the week. My children are off sick so there is no chance to get out. Will get out tomorrow though as dh will be here. Disappointed but I will get there!
  • kilobykilo
    pratainua wrote: »
    You are all doing well. I haven't had a chance to do my second run of the week. My children are off sick so there is no chance to get out. Will get out tomorrow though as dh will be here. Disappointed but I will get there!

Hope your children are feeling better soon!