TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (May)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Our thread for Team Big butts is missing for April?
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    drea2011 wrote: »
    Our thread for Team Big butts is missing for April?

@drea2011, no, it’s still there. Maybe you have to scroll down farther?
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello, team The Big Butt Theory! Welcome to May and a special welcome to the newcomers! Please take a moment to introduce yourselves to the team, and tell us a little bit about your goals for the month.

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am your captain for May along with Pam, @pkg1998. I have been with The Big Butt Theory for about a year and a half now. I am 53, a Canadian living in Southwestern Ontario, married 27 years and have two grown sons.

Being involved with this group helps to at least keep my head above water, when I am struggling!! If you are struggling, it can help you, too. So, the more you interact, the more you will feel the team's support.

A little about this challenge.....it runs Sunday to Saturday. Post your weigh-in on this thread on your chosen weigh-in day. If you need to miss a weigh-in, let me know. If you forget to post a weigh-in, post as soon as you remember, up until Saturday evening. (I'd say Saturday at midnight, EDT, but I am not up that late!) Please post a weight even if you have gained. There is no judgement here, only support, and it happens to all of us at some point!! If you miss two weigh-ins, you will be removed from the month and will have to re-register for the next month if you wish to continue.

Yes, this is a weight loss challenge, but I would like you to think of it more as a support group. Sometimes, you can do all the right things, but the scale just doesn't move. If you have taken measurements you will be able to see that you are making progress, just not contributing to the team's weight loss. But we don't want you to despair, or leave, if this happens, thus the focus on the "support" aspect!

We are all here for the same reason....to lose weight and get healthy. Some days will go better than others....weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, after all!! But with the support of this team, and some hard work, we can all make it to the finish line!

Have a great May everyone!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello again, team TBBT. The May Challenge doesn't officially start until Sunday, April 28th, but I thought I'd give you some more information so that you can be ready to jump in with both feet! Within the main weight loss challenge we have another optional, but highly recommended, challenge. It is called the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge, or the Mini Challenge. It is based on another MFP challenge group by the same name, or UAC.

The way it works is simple:

1. Log everything you eat that has calories in MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity daily. This could be anything that gets you off the couch and being active: run, walk, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.
    4. Report each day on this thread (something to the effect of logged food: yes, under calories: yes, exercise: yes, and a brief description is nice)

****When you post your accountability, please put the date, or the day of the week to which you are referring. We are all in different time zones, and some people post in the evening for that day, and others post the next morning, so it gets confusing trying to decipher without a day or date. Thanks!!!*****

You get one free pass day a week (went over calories, could not log food, rest day, etc.) At the end of the week, if you have managed to be "accountable" (three yes's) for at least 6 of 7 days, you will be recognized on this thread as being in the Winner's Circle!

This strategy works for weight loss because it is based on CI<CO. When calories in are less than calories out, you stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget, and you will lose weight! And exercise is just good for you, plus it will burn calories and help with the calories out portion of the equation!

What's great about this challenge is that it works for everyone, as long as you are honest with yourself. There are no dietary restrictions, so you can eat whatever you like, and follow whatever plan you like. Your own daily calorie budget is set by you and MFP and you choose your own exercise and intensity of exercise! Plus it is a practice that can be carried beyond weight loss into maintenance! If you are having a bad week, a new week and a fresh start is just around the corner!

Consistency and new habits have been shown to be the keys to long term successful weight loss. Why not make the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge your new habit, that you do consistently!!

Week #1 for the Mini Challenge starts Sunday, April 28th!
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am in for a 3rd month. I am hoping this month will be better than the last one. I did well except for getting sick. Good luck to all members, new and everyone who has been here.
  • pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hello Team, co-captain Pam here. I’ve been in TBBT since the beginning of the year and struggling with ups and downs on the scale (more ups it seems). I love the support that this team gives both when our members are struggling and when they’re doing great.

Welcome to all new members and welcome back to our current members.
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Drea and I’m in my second month. I’ve been up and down and this time not matter what I will continue and not just give up. I stated this journey in March 19 at 261.7 lbs currently I am 242.5 lbs. My goal is 170-180 but I am taking it one day at a time and not stressing about lack of progress (like now, been stuck in the 240s for a while).

This month I want to focus on my macros. I am vegan, been vegetarian my whole life. So my goals are 60% carb 20% protein 20% fat.

Good luck to everyone this month! Like Dory says “just keep swimming, just keep swimming”
  • Coral333
    Coral333 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Coral and this will be my 3rd month with TBBT.
    This team has been a life saver for me and I love checking in for motivation. I've had some great support so far from my team mates and look forward to another great month!
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Wednesday

Starting weight: 170.0
    Current weight: 150.0
    Goal weight: 126.0

HASWLRS, I'm in for May but as previously advised my first weigh in might not be until after 11th May due to my holiday.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    missyms740 wrote: »
    Hello hello!! I'm Niki and this is my first time participating in this challenge. So happy to be a part of the group and looking forward to getting to know everyone. I've used MFP before but strayed away for some time. Now I'm back and I plan to keep using it. I've struggled with my weight pretty much all of my adult life and at one point just accepted that this was just how I was meant to be. Then I started to realize just how much my weight holds me back from fully enjoying life and being who I really want to be. I'm tired of breathing hard after going up a flight of stairs or walking a short distance and worrying about if I will fit in a booth, etc..... I also have a 10 year old son that is starting to pick up a little weight and I realized that I need to set a better example.

I am following a LCHF/Keto diet. I started this last week and honestly I feel really like this is something I can stick too. I have a goal to lose 12 lbs this month.

Good Luck everyone!!! Lets Go Big Butt Theory!!! :):)

@missyms740, welcome, Niki!! You seem to have your "why's" firmly outlined and an eating plan in place that you feel strongly you can adhere to. It sounds like a recipe for success to me!! Best of luck reaching your goals this month!! Hope we can help in some small way.
  • miakelaa
    miakelaa Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Mia, and I'm so excited to be joining the team this month!

My story: I've been vegan for 9 years but recently started a more whole foods-centric way of eating alongside my mom. I've also started tracking calories again, after a long haitus. I lost 30 pounds over the course of 2017 (BMI 27.8 to 23.3) using a high carb low fat diet and yoga. In 2018, I let some of the weight creep back on due to the stress of college/life in general. I've gotten back on track this year and am now at the same weight I was at the end of 2017 (around 158 pounds). My goal for this month is to get down to 150-153 pounds. My overall goal weight is probably somewhere between 135 and 145 pounds, depending on how I feel when I get closer to that goal. I feel that my weight loss goals are rooted in self-love and the recognition that my health is one of the most important things I have. I love yoga, meditation, Orangetheory Fitness, green smoothies, my family's dogs, and hiking. I'm really looking forward to being a part of a supportive team and cheering each other on. I think that it will be helpful in continuing to hold myself accountable for my choices and overall health. Cheers to The Big Butt Theory!

One question I have: I routinely go over my calorie goal because I like to have it set at the lower limit of what I'm used to eating. I exercise every day and always maintain a calorie deficit as far as I'm aware (using my Apple Watch to track calories burned throughout the day). However, I don't allow exercise to increase my daily calorie goals because I don't like to associate exercise as a punishment (or excuse) for eating more. Is it okay for me to replace staying inside my calorie budget with maintaining a calorie deficit for the accountability mini challenges?
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    miakelaa wrote: »
    Hi everyone! My name is Mia, and I'm so excited to be joining the team this month!

My story: I've been vegan for 9 years but recently started a more whole foods-centric way of eating alongside my mom. I've also started tracking calories again, after a long haitus. I lost 30 pounds over the course of 2017 (BMI 27.8 to 23.3) using a high carb low fat diet and yoga. In 2018, I let some of the weight creep back on due to the stress of college/life in general. I've gotten back on track this year and am now at the same weight I was at the end of 2017 (around 158 pounds). My goal for this month is to get down to 150-153 pounds. My overall goal weight is probably somewhere between 135 and 145 pounds, depending on how I feel when I get closer to that goal. I feel that my weight loss goals are rooted in self-love and the recognition that my health is one of the most important things I have. I love yoga, meditation, Orangetheory Fitness, green smoothies, my family's dogs, and hiking. I'm really looking forward to being a part of a supportive team and cheering each other on. I think that it will be helpful in continuing to hold myself accountable for my choices and overall health. Cheers to The Big Butt Theory!

One question I have: I routinely go over my calorie goal because I like to have it set at the lower limit of what I'm used to eating. I exercise every day and always maintain a calorie deficit as far as I'm aware (using my Apple Watch to track calories burned throughout the day). However, I don't allow exercise to increase my daily calorie goals because I don't like to associate exercise as a punishment (or excuse) for eating more. Is it okay for me to replace staying inside my calorie budget with maintaining a calorie deficit for the accountability mini challenges?

@miakelaa, welcome, Mia!! You are absolutely right. Health is one of the most important things, and if we have it, we should do everything in our power to preserve it! If you log your calories in, and your apple watch tells you how many calories you have burned, including at least twenty minutes of activity or exercise, and that puts you at a calorie deficit, then yes, you have a "yes" day for the Mini Accountability Challenge.

Obviously, since you have lost 30 pounds, you have found what works for you. However, I would like to offer you an alternate way of thinking about eating back exercise calories. There is a saying around MFP that he/she who eats the most food and still loses weight is the winner! The "winner", meaning feels less deprived, more satiated, less grumpy and irritable, on their way to reaching goal weight. This makes it a more enjoyable experience overall for themselves and those around them, and they are more likely to succeed without stops and starts, ups and downs.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm baaaack. Third time's a charm. I was in TBBT at the end of 2017, beginning of 18 when things went a bit askew (finishing my degree, gallbladder surgery, moving from upstate ny to northern va for a new job and to be with my husband who was dealing with hurricane response in PR, so doing it all by myself). During 2017-18 I lost nearly 40 lbs and felt amazing! And then I gained it all back. Dammit. I came back at some point last year trying to make it work - I think I did anyway? Maybe I dreamt it - but things were still in flux and intense and I was not appropriately focused on my health.

So now I'm here and here is back to 226.5 lbs which is, not going to lie, really disappointing. I'm trying to be optimistic and all that - i did it once, i can do it again, etc - but yeah. There is the long sighs at the clothing i can't wear and how terrible I feel.

TMI, Additional bonus, I turned 40 in december and no lie, 2 months ago I started getting innnnntense hot flashes. If you haven't had a hot flash before, it's like the people in Iron Man 2 who combust internally first? That's what it felt like. It was - if nothing else - awkward AF because I'd be standing there talking to my boss and suddenly crawling out of my skin. I'm finally on a hormone supplement and it's starting to even out. I definitely do not recommend this getting old thing and sincerely regret every goodnaturedly picking on my poor mom. I'm also going through perimenopause pretty young, but i guess when you know, you don't use the goods they kind of go kaput early, or something. the changes my body is going through are contributing to the terrible feedback loop - i have no energy so i don't exercise so i don't have energy - and i'm just depressed at how i look and how winded i get.

So, thats the debbie downer stuff. On the upside: I'm 4 days into a 30 day yoga regimine, and looking forward to getting back into the pool as swimming is my preferred exercise. I'm in a 5k at the beginning of June as well with work, so I have an array of health goals that are enough to keep it interesting but not overwhelming.

Counting calories takes practice and I'm out of it, so that's a big goal for this month overall. And doing the daily challenge. I'm looking forward to being a good contributor to the big butts :) And yeah, i get wordy. Sorry in advance :smiley:

• HASWLRS
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I'm baaaack. Third time's a charm. I was in TBBT at the end of 2017, beginning of 18 when things went a bit askew (finishing my degree, gallbladder surgery, moving from upstate ny to northern va for a new job and to be with my husband who was dealing with hurricane response in PR, so doing it all by myself). During 2017-18 I lost nearly 40 lbs and felt amazing! And then I gained it all back. Dammit. I came back at some point last year trying to make it work - I think I did anyway? Maybe I dreamt it - but things were still in flux and intense and I was not appropriately focused on my health.

So now I'm here and here is back to 226.5 lbs which is, not going to lie, really disappointing. I'm trying to be optimistic and all that - i did it once, i can do it again, etc - but yeah. There is the long sighs at the clothing i can't wear and how terrible I feel.

TMI, Additional bonus, I turned 40 in december and no lie, 2 months ago I started getting innnnntense hot flashes. If you haven't had a hot flash before, it's like the people in Iron Man 2 who combust internally first? That's what it felt like. It was - if nothing else - awkward AF because I'd be standing there talking to my boss and suddenly crawling out of my skin. I'm finally on a hormone supplement and it's starting to even out. I definitely do not recommend this getting old thing and sincerely regret every goodnaturedly picking on my poor mom. I'm also going through perimenopause pretty young, but i guess when you know, you don't use the goods they kind of go kaput early, or something. the changes my body is going through are contributing to the terrible feedback loop - i have no energy so i don't exercise so i don't have energy - and i'm just depressed at how i look and how winded i get.

So, thats the debbie downer stuff. On the upside: I'm 4 days into a 30 day yoga regimine, and looking forward to getting back into the pool as swimming is my preferred exercise. I'm in a 5k at the beginning of June as well with work, so I have an array of health goals that are enough to keep it interesting but not overwhelming.

Counting calories takes practice and I'm out of it, so that's a big goal for this month overall. And doing the daily challenge. I'm looking forward to being a good contributor to the big butts :) And yeah, i get wordy. Sorry in advance :smiley:

@enyagoboom, love that you're back!!! Sorry about all the debbie downer stuff going on with you, but we're not going to focus on any of that. We're going to focus on the yoga, and getting back into the pool, and training for the 5K and re-learning how to log your food. All challenging, but all fun and/or worthwhile ventures. (No one ever said logging food was fun. lol!!)
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi Team :) I am excited to take part of the challenge with you all! I am countrycreek, I am a married, mom and grandma. <3 I have been on MFP on and off for awhile.. never getting anywhere. Gaining and losing the same pounds over and over again. I have approx 25 pounds to lose. I recently started intermittent fasting and low carb. It seems to help with some of my cravings. My goal is to lose a pound a week. I enjoy, gardening, thrifting, refinishing furniture.. we have a big yard so alot of my exercise is yardwork. I want to start weight training again, which I loved doing in the past, it made me feel strong and accomplished. My biggest challenge is counting calories.. keeping me from being successful when I don't. It might take me a bit to fiqure out the challenges rules but I am looking forward to getting in shape, making new friends and our team camaraderie. Let's go..TBBT team!

Hope I'm not to cheessy.. just excited!

@countrycreek, welcome! It sounds like you have some reasonable goals.....getting back into weight training, losing a pound a week and pushing yourself to log your food. Hope we can help motivate you in some small way to reach these goals!

And no, you are not too cheesy at all!! Besides, cheese is allowed, as long as it fits inside your daily calorie budget! lol!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new here, I'm Susanpiper57 and I successfully used MFP in 2015-2016 to lose the baby weight (and then some) from my first pregnancy. I had my second son at the end of July, and I have 8 pounds left to get to my pre-pregnancy weight, but it has been slow going this time around, especially because I am nursing, so I have to be very careful to not have too high of a deficit, and I have more cravings now than I did during pregnancy. I am signed up for my second half-marathon in September, and will start training this summer. I struggle to find motivation for exercise, and I struggle with self-control with food, so I hope this challenge will help me meet my goals! Excited to meet all of you :)

@susanpiper57, welcome! Maybe we can help you with food self control, but your training for a half marathon with two young children at home, will definitely help inspire and motivate the rest of us to get out there and move!!
This discussion has been closed.