Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Karen, I am very new to running but my husband says I need to do more than walk. I’m hoping this challenge will be what I need.
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m Staci - I am 47, and not a runner, but I dream of being one. I’ve tried many times and just can’t seem to get very far. Trying again with smaller, hopefully more achievable goals this time. I just want to try to have fun this time - no time or distance goals at this time. Love reading running posts from all you pros!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been an on-and-off, half-hearted runner for a few years, gave it up entirely, then started again and for some reason really got into it this time. I built up my distance run to 15 miles, then got plantar fasciitis in one foot that sidelined me the last nearly two months. I am getting back to it, am running a half marathon in February, and would love to train for a full marathon after that.
  • lesadances
    lesadances Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm Lesa. Turned 40 last summer, figure it's time to finally lose this extra 20 pounds I've been whining about these last few years.
  • ellenrowens8
    ellenrowens8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! Really love dancing more but running... Has a nice ring, I'm a runner. Used to run 3 miles a day or more but gained way too much weight so I'm getting back in it.

My goal is to run about 20-30 miles a week by June. So far, slowly improving day by day. Thanks for the group. I look forward to hearing about everyone's successes.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Off and on runner (okay, jogger.... okay, mostly off) for years. Did my first 10K last year, and then ... stopped running. But I'm 44 and I'm starting to think I want to be healthy when I'm 60, and I'm single so there's always "how do I look", and going running is the simplest thing - just pull on the shoes and go. I tend to think well when I'm running, sooooo.... I do best with motivation, so that's why I'm here! I am currently working on just getting back up to 10K. My goals for this month (Jan) were to:

1) Run at least 3x a week, to reach 10 miles a week by the end of the month
    2) Do bodyweight exercises at least 2x a week
    3) and start logging my food regularly

I'm currently doing 3.5 miles+ at about 11:30 pace, following one of the Garmin pre-set plans. My goal is to do 10Ks regularly by April at a 10:00 pace, logging at least 12 miles a week.

I'm currently in the northern area of Houston 'burbs, using a Garmin Forerunner. I welcome friends both here and on Garmin Connect! (Still learning those other apps and connections.... blah.)
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »
    Good morning! Off and on runner (okay, jogger.... okay, mostly off) for years. Did my first 10K last year, and then ... stopped running. But I'm 44 and I'm starting to think I want to be healthy when I'm 60, and I'm single so there's always "how do I look", and going running is the simplest thing - just pull on the shoes and go. I tend to think well when I'm running, sooooo.... I do best with motivation, so that's why I'm here! I am currently working on just getting back up to 10K. My goals for this month (Jan) were to:

1) Run at least 3x a week, to reach 10 miles a week by the end of the month
    2) Do bodyweight exercises at least 2x a week
    3) and start logging my food regularly

I'm currently doing 3.5 miles+ at about 11:30 pace, following one of the Garmin pre-set plans. My goal is to do 10Ks regularly by April at a 10:00 pace, logging at least 12 miles a week.

I'm currently in the northern area of Houston 'burbs, using a Garmin Forerunner. I welcome friends both here and on Garmin Connect! (Still learning those other apps and connections.... blah.)

Welcome! I am near you in the north Houston 'burbs!
  • wpgoh
    wpgoh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi WP here,
    Running on and off.
    Started with MFP just last month. Using Nike app to log my runs which are mainly on Treadmill. Since started again I try to go 3x on average per week.
    Location is Singapore.
    Goal is to get 40-50km per month.
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Joining because I'm trying to get back into running after quite a bit of time off. I used to have a monthly goal of 50 miles a month which was a good amount for me. Did that for a few years with my trusty Labrador companion, but she's 12 now and can't run anymore and I pretty much stopped myself. I'd like to get back into the habit because I know it was good for my physical and mental health (except for those months when I put it off until the end and drove myself crazy trying to catch up.) I'm starting slow, well, I'm ALWAYS slow, but I'm shooting for 20 miles this month and hope to build from there.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Love running, but I change it up with other forms of exercise so my mileage per week varies. On a weekday morning I go about 3-4 miles and like to do a longer run (5-6 miles) on the weekend. Hills, flats, steady pace, intervals, I try not to get stuck in a rut.
  • Jenerferzzz
    Jenerferzzz Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Oops I introduced myself in the monthly challenge!🤦 🥺 I shall just try it again here...
    I am new and to this whole running business. I have always wanted to run but never pushed myself hard enough to really give it a go.

I am a stay at home mom of a 3 year old and a 3 month old and I really want to set a good example for the kids be even more I really want some time to myself and make it a healthy habit. Today I started week 3 of C25k and I am doing it every other day, I am also doing a 30 day planking challenge.

Everyone around me is pretty sedentary and I am hoping sharing this experience with other newbies and long time runners will help to motivate me. My long term goal is to be able to run in some 5ks in the area.

Thanks for reading my novel introduction and thank you in advance for the support. 😊
  • TacoBoutFood
    TacoBoutFood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love jogging, but I'm not that hardcore like I'd want to be. Didn't think i would ever say that before... but these past two years have completely changed. I lost excess weight and have done three 5ks. Awesome ish! I plan to do a 10k by the end of the year. :) I'm sooo excited to find a group like this.
  • run2live75
    run2live75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - new to this group. My name is Stephanie and in the past 3 years running has been my outlet. I never ran in high school and actually quit volleyball and softball because we had to run "the mile" ... yet here I am running all over. Happy to meet you all :)
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hello ... it's been years since I've ran. I started today with walk/jog intervals. As a 33 year old mom of 3 (ages 12, 10 and 1) I'm wanting to get back into shape and stay around on this Earth a little longer for them. Plus weight loss would be a plus haha. Looking for helpful forums and fun challenges 😊
  • AngeliqueBundy
    AngeliqueBundy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Please post a little something here if you are new to the group and/or challange.

My name is Stan. I will be creating each thread to log your runs at the end of each previous month.
    I am also the creater and administrator of this group.
    I was an on and off runner. When I was growing up, I ran because of the sports I was playing at the time. By highschool, I stuck with football and wrestling. never did do track or cross country. I tried out for the wrestling team in college but too many studs. After college, sports was still a part of me. Mostly pickup basketball games or spring softball leagues. When I reached the end of my 30's I became a slouch. I then started running as a way to loose weight. Since October of 2013, I began running consistently. I now have a 10K and half marathon under my belt. I have another 10K at the end of May and hope to do my first full marathon in December. I guess you may say, I caught the runners bug. I hope (for whatever reason you got here) you will learn to enjoy running too.

Thank you for this challenge! I have found that challenges inspire me.
  • AngeliqueBundy
    AngeliqueBundy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I started weight lifting when I was 14. They offered it as a PE elective in my HS in LA, CA. I fell madly, deeply in love with it! Still am! However, stuff happened in my life and left me with an unhealthy weight gain over a 5 year period. I lost myself. Two years ago my husband had a heart attack (young). That was the wake up call. That year I lost 80 lbs and kept them off until the end of last year when I started gaining again. Terrified, I came to these challenges to help me get back on track!

I started out running on the treadmill (it was way too hot out here to run outside, and I live in a pretty bad neighborhood), during the time I was losing the 80 lbs. I got up to 4 miles running straight through. Then I lost my way for a few months, so when I started up again I got my husband and my dad and we started walking briskly (in a better neighborhood). Now I am back to intervals of running and walking trying to build up my stamina again. It feels so good! I have some old injuries that flair up, but I do PT and try to be kind to my body. I will NOT stop running because I love it too much. I would love to be able to do 5k again and work up to 10k and beyond.
  • flintflash1
    flintflash1 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Tony (FlintFlash) and I was never much of the athletic type. Didn't start running until about 6 years ago, when my son ran cross-country in highschool and started running in 5K's around the area. Started out slow, but eventually got to the point where I really enjoyed running (even ran a sub-7 minute mile a few times....not bad for a fat 50 year old...lol). 2 years ago, I was training for my first half-marathon and developed a serious swollen knee. Doctor put the ol' "No more running for a while" foot down. Soon after, I became WAY LAZY and put 40 pounds back on. Time to get back out there (yes, I have been cleared to run again). Hoping to get some inspiration and support to get myself running regularly again. THANKS !! :)
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    An introduction: Very average runner who is trying to become a bit more above average. I've run 8 or 9 half marathons, a few 8 and 10ks, a few other various miles, and a few dozen 5ks. Most recent half: 2:04:57. I'd love to break 2:00.

Other hobbies include: typing on forums, watering plants, grading essays

Goals: Full marathon and then an ultra. May a sprint-tri??

Enjoys: pina coladas, taking walks in the rain

See ya'll in the monthly challenge.
  • lwitowski
    lwitowski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! 24 year old from Houston now, born in PA, still adjusting to the summer heat. Always been a lifter but some family heart problems and a cardio-club type fiancé have got me running the last year or so. Ran the Austin half in February and signed up for the full (!) next year (8 mo away).

Goals: survive the marathon

Non-running hobbies: lifting, rock climbing, cooking, gardening, long walks on a short beach

Excited for the challenge!
  • hillhouseterry
    hillhouseterry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI ther Terry for Wa. starting again after a long layoff. working towards 5k's and sprint triathlon. progressing slowly