Options

Replies

• karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    jugar wrote: »
    kx7003 wrote: »
    If you fast for a day and have limited calories and then compensate the next day by increasing your calories what happens to your body? Will it be a cleanse for your metabolism or will it cause you to gain weight on the second day when you eat an increased number of calories?

This is always an interesting question, as is its opposite - what happens if you allow a "free day"? I think a fasting or semi-fasting day can be really good for your system even if your weight might make a dip down and come back up a bit. If you eat too little for a longer time it can slow everything down, but an occasional fasting day or half day can be good. And the free day can also be a good shake up as long as you're really strict on the other 6 days of the week - it all depends a lot on what feels good and works for you. If you make up for a fasting day by seriously overeating the next day, that can create a pattern that might not be helpful. I know that some people in the team use intermittent fasting, and I hope they join in and tell us more.

Very true. You want the lifestyle pattern(s) you develop and practice to be positive and sustainable, with enough flexibility to allow for contingency planning. Not cycling between starving and binging. Going over need not mean "going over-BOARD on the serious overeating scale"

In the other challenge I am in, the goal is Accountability / Reporting (weight is not reported ... we have everyone from long-way-to-go to long-time-maintenance).

We don't call them "free / cheat days". What we have is a way to "own your choices" with a target objective of meeting " minimum of 20 minutes intentional activity / inside calorie limits (can include some or all of exercise calories eaten back if you define it that way) / log EVERYTHING that has calories" 90% of the time. That means that not more than 3 times in a month, you take a "Pass" by answering "no" on 1 or more of the goals on that particular day (3 x no on the same day still only counts as a single "pass day").

This allows for Life happening .... like @micki48's lunch for a special birthday outing ... while also training you to look JUST at TODAY. This helps with learning that what happened yesterday need not have a bearing on today's choices.

Ideally these would be "intentional passes" (preplanned special occasions, or know-its-coming situations like extended travel days) Unintentional pass days can happen too. You were too sick to exercise. You didn't find out until bedtime when you finished updating your log that the little nibble you had was more calorific than expected and there's no time to make it up via exercise.

If you use 4 (or 5 or even 15) pass days, you are still encouraged to keep reporting daily. The following month, try to use fewer pass days. This is how you eventually learn to keep one not-the-best-day from turning into a week or month off-track before returning to what you KNOW will get you there in the end.

I agree whole-heartedly!! Very sound advice Barb!! Thanks B)<3
  • karenesg
    Options
    Andreabroadley
    Weigh in day Sunday
    PW 169.2
    CW 167.6

Well I guess the nutritionist visit helped..

Awesome!! Keep up the good work B)
  • karenesg
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Today I’m proud of myself because I have stuck with this journey to a healthier lifestyle. I haven’t let bad days or bad choices derail me for long. I’m proud of all I am still learning about healthy eating, even in my fifth decade. I’m proud that I am down 17 pounds and have lost 25 inches all over so far. I will get myself to a healthy weight and lifestyle.

You sure will!! I'm very happy for you Micki, your commitment and hardwork is certainly paying off. You're an inspiration <3
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    COME ON LET'S SHOW SOME LOVE FOR THE CHALLENGE AND SUPPORT THIS DISCUSSION
    THANKS GREG
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10743649/june-2019-registration-for-the-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge/p1?new=1
  • karenesg
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    This is one of the most beautiful evenings of posts in a while - lots of different people, news, encouragements, reflections, and examples.

@Connie7355 - terrific loss! you are one of the quiet successes on this team. If there is anything we can do to support you and to learn from you, let us know!
    @Andreabroadley - it is so interesting to see the results of your consultation with the nutritionist. As you say, a lot is plain and somewhat obvious, but really sticking with it and making small changes in your daily intake can have a long-term impact. Looking forward to hearing how it goes! And well done on water increase... B)
    @karenesg - I just love it when you come through with your positive spirit and support! MORE!!! And how are YOU doing?
    @jlbtnc - thanks for letting us know more about your motivation and progress. It has been so helpful to see how it has changed. Keep up the great work!
    @kx7003 - that was some impressive loss this week. I know how weigh-in day can almost be permission to go a bit wild afterwards, though. What really worked for me was 6 days strictly to plan, and then 1 day of absolutely anything I wanted. If I had a craving on the other 6 days, I knew it would be okay on the free day. For me, that really worked, but there was only ONE free day. That has kept me on track for 7 years. And the free days have become less and less insane!
    @leni1us - you are the steadiest of the steady. Another great example! Are there tips and struggles you want to share? Go for it! But thanks for just being there taking the steps and sticking with the plan.

We are having some discussions among the moderators these days on what really works to help everyone no matter where you are. There have been a lot of challenges and other "events". What has worked or not worked for you? Any suggestions for keeping it real and relevant for all the team members?

Thanks for asking about me Liselyn. I'm doing ok... scale hasn't moved much except for one up, one down, repeat, repeat, repeat. On the positive, I'm showing up every day. I look at my Circles to Success and recommit daily to drink 64oz of water, plan and pre-log meals, skip the liquor & wine, stretch & weight work, walk 20 minutes. I don't always meet every goal but 2 or 3 or 4 out of 5 is better than none. I know I could be doing better than I am, but that's ok, for now. I'm working hard on getting rid of some physical pain, tendonitis in hip is getting better, tooth pain not so much (I fear a root canal is in my future and do not want to $pend all that money!!) I'm getting better at weighing and measuring my food and that is keeping me from gaining. I'm a work in progress.

As for what has worked or not worked for me? I'm sooooo bad at keeping track of my water and steps, so that hasn't helped me. Just seems like one more thing in my day to keep track of and I'm lazy!! What has helped me in the past was the team's daily post topics... Movement Monday, Wedn who, what, when, where, why ..... and how, inspirational quotes, Silly Saturday. Thinking about all the different aspects of fitness, healthy food, lifestyle changes and what's working, what's not, the struggles, the successes, gave me awareness that I really benefited from.

So maybe I'll start SUNDAY SUCCESS. What did you succeed at this past week that you're especially proud of?
    For me it's not quitting!! Showing up everyday, doing as well as I did, allowing myself to ditch the perfectionism is what I feel pretty good about today.

Here's to a great week ahead! Not necessarily perfect, but great none the less! B)

• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm a bit late on posting steps. Headed out of town Friday and Saturday. I'll be traveling for business the next 3 weeks. I'll try to log in and post while I'm gone. Here's my steps to catch up.

5/10- 8,867 (in the car a good portion of the day)
    5/11 - 17,815
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    FROM ME TO ALL YOU MOMS
    jckcdn0ido21.png

CAPTAINS WHEN YOU YOUR TRIPLE CROWN WINNER WOULD YOU PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING FOR ME...
    TEAM NAME
    CHALLENGERS NAME
    STEPS FOR THE WEEK
    H2O OZ. FOR THE WEEK
    WEIGHT LOSS FOR THE WEEK

WHEN THIS IS FILLED IN COULD THEN CENTER AND HIGH-LITE IN BOLD HERE ON YOUR TEAM THREAD OR THE MODS WEEK 1 CHALLENGE AND I WILL POST IT IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE.

THANK YOU AND ALL OF YOUR TEAM FOR BEING A PART OF THIS GROUP AND THIS CHALLENGE
    WITH GREAT RESPECT
    GREG
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    @fourathomej - if you could post your last 2 days (Friday and Saturday) of steps and water, I'll be able to announce our triple crown winner!

It is done by best 2 out of 3 (steps, water, weight loss), so even if someone was not tops in one of them, if they were strong in the other 2, they could win!

thanks <3
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Today I’m proud of myself because I have stuck with this journey to a healthier lifestyle. I haven’t let bad days or bad choices derail me for long. I’m proud of all I am still learning about healthy eating, even in my fifth decade. I’m proud that I am down 17 pounds and have lost 25 inches all over so far. I will get myself to a healthy weight and lifestyle.

Post that on the moderator thread too, so the people from other teams can applaud you and be inspired by you!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

Post that on the moderator thread too, so the people from other teams can applaud you and be inspired by you!

Done!
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,273 Member
    Options
    Sorry...so much going on...
    5/10
    Steps - 12879
    Water - 112oz

5/11
    Steps - 17981
    Water - 124 oz
  • AllieMaine17
    AllieMaine17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is PW?
    Is it the last week's weigh or the start weight?
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    What is PW?
    Is it the last week's weigh or the start weight?

@allieelliott17 yes it is the last weeks week
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    SW: Starting weight
    PW: previous weight
    CW: current weight
    GW: goal weight
  • BMcC9
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Only Two Weigh-In Reports Today (Monday):

@reflectionofme
    @tdrjustus3

No-one due tomorrow (Tuesday)

I haven't checked yet to see if you beat me to the punch and have already reported.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Make It Happen Monday.

What is a non-scale activity-based goal (this includes things like pre-packing workday lunches; completely filling in and REVIEWING PAST foodlogs looking for patterns that have been helping or hindering you .... not just exercise-activities) that you are going to focus on accomplishing this week in order to SUPPORT / ACCOMPLISH your desired scale-related report?

I am going to keep reporting my all-day steps, with the intention of hitting ~6000 before getting home from work / 10000+ by the end of exercise-time.
  • micki48
    Options
    Sunday steps 8,163
    ^^^
    (I walked around my house while talking to my bestie on the phone for half of this. )

💦 68 ounces - not sure if we are still recording water.
  • micki48
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am going to keep logging every bite. No getting sloppy. And get over 8,000 steps each day. Here’s the big one for me...get to the gym or out for a walk, at least 3xs. Need a loss this week.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Make It Happen Monday

I am going to prelog my food and stick to the plan. If I deviate it will be with veggies.

Here is another thing I do. I am going to keep doing this. It is analyzing my TDEE and Intake, to ensure I have a good deficit. That is the only way I can actually lose.

jbk5gmiky01y.png
This discussion has been closed.