Ready to SCREAM!

Options

Replies

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know y'all have been at this way longer than I (only been doing Keto a week and a half) so. more than likely, y'all know what you're talking about. I went and found a link that calculates my macros. According to them, for large calorie deficit (36%), I should be consuming 1236 calories, 25g of carbs, 104g of protein and 89g of fat. Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what Keto is but, everything I have read about it says one should consume more fat than protein or carbs. They also say eating too much protein can cause kidney damage and, since I only have one functioning kidney, that really concerns me. How can one tell if too much protein is being consumed? Do you think I should reset my goals to the calculations they gave me?
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Okay, this is getting confusing. According to the Ketogenic Caluculater, it says: "Based on your inputs, we suggest you eat: 1248 calories. From those, 92g fats, 20g net carbs, and 84g protein". Should I follow the Keto or Macro calculations?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I had a whole comment typed out and then deleted it accidentally. Ugh!!!

Anyway. Macros are very personal. You need to figure out what works best for you. The most important is that you are keeping your TOTAL carbs at less than 40-50g. I personally don't even track net carbs, but that is a personal decision.

Think of it this way - carbs are a maximum, protein is a goal (1g per 1kg of lean body mass), and fat is to be eaten to satiety.

My personal macros are 60%f/30%p/10%c, but I had to play around with them for a while to figure out what was best for me. I meet those goals nearly every day and at this point I don't even need to try.

I think that you've gotten great advice to make sure that you are eating a minimum of 1200 calories per day. You should be aiming for a deficit of 1,000 calories if you are trying to lose 2lbs per week, and if you exercise, you can eat back some or all of those calories as well.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just read this entire thread. I am planning on starting keto on Sunday. you ladies are all amazing for all the advice, suggestions you've given to the OP. I am in the very beginning stages of planning this out.
  • HelloBodyJoy
    HelloBodyJoy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    I just read this entire thread. I am planning on starting keto on Sunday. you ladies are all amazing for all the advice, suggestions you've given to the OP. I am in the very beginning stages of planning this out.

I agree ☝️ So grateful for all the helpful people here, the ones asking questions and the ones answering. I’ve been working on keto for a couple of months and still learning. Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise!
  • Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Me too, HBJ! But it's coming together. I just checked, and I've dropped 2lbs this morning. I'm doing the June challenge, but have also decided to reevaluate my eating every 30 days, whether the scale numbers move or not.
    I'm convinced every 10lbs it'll be necessary to adjust my fats, proteins and carbs.

Next week: Walking!!

Qbaimee wrote: »

I agree ☝️ So grateful for all the helpful people here, the ones asking questions and the ones answering. I’ve been working on keto for a couple of months and still learning. Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise!

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    So it appears to me that some in this thread are "trying" too hard and subsequently not really using what is at their disposal or severely overthinking. Losing weight in general and changing your dietary input is not a quick thing. It can have all sorts of ramifications.

If you input your information into MFP, use the guided setup to get your base calories on the "sedentary" option for exercise level, and then go back in afterwards and adjust those macros to say 65/25/10 (fat/protein/carbs) or 65/30/5 etc.. it should be a good starting point. Don't expect "fast" or "quick" results..it's great if you get that, but don't count on it, that sets you up for failure or frustration. Evaluate on a 2-4 week basis (4 weeks is obviously better)....

Don't start off trying to do more than a 500 calorie deficit (1lb a week)...you don't need to. Once you are accustomed to and able to not cheat on yourself, then start playing with the numbers.

Hope it helps!
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Sounds like good advice. I have another question for y'all. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been. My first meal of the day is around one and the last time I eat is usually when I have a snack around eight. Would this be considered IF?
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good advice. I have another question for y'all. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been. My first meal of the day is around one and the last time I eat is usually when I have a snack around eight. Would this be considered IF?

Yes, 17 hours of fasting with a 7 hour eating window from approximately 1 - 8 p.m.
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    And this is why I hate posting on groups. I came here BECAUSE I knew I was given well intentioned, bad advice. The fact that some went out of their way to reign me back in was much appreciated, and this was understood by all who read the WHOLE thread.
    I don't mind being corrected, but can we avoid harping on those things that have are clearly obvious, especially now that we're on the right track?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Mjkozki wrote: »
    And this is why I hate posting on groups. I came here BECAUSE I knew I was given well intentioned, bad advice. The fact that some went out of their way to reign me back in was much appreciated, and this was understood by all who read the WHOLE thread.
    I don't mind being corrected, but can we avoid harping on those things that have are clearly obvious, especially now that we're on the right track?

Is this directed at something in particular? I thought that this entire thread was well intentioned and supportive.

• ginalu59
    ginalu59 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for responding! I'm tracking, but it's frustrating trying to stay within the range. I actually think I'm eating too little, because I get stuffed so quickly on IF. Today, I decided to try the egg fast so I had 8 eggs with mayo and mustard (egg salad), a zip fizz and two slices of cheese. I had a BPC around 9am, and just finished an Isopure whey protein shake w/a Tablesp of cream, followed by three small Matcha Green fat bombs (matcha, cocoa butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, sweetener and a sprinkle of salt on top of each).
    I put all this in the calculator, and it came up short 120 calories, with the protein being over by 3, and the fat was under 10. I just can't wrap my brains around the idea of 1600 calories to lose weight.
    Please let me know what I'm doing wrong!:)

Keep your carbs <20. Don't deduct sugar alchohol or fiber. All movement counts to use up glycogen, glucose, fat.
    Don't use copious amount of fat either. Don't snack between meals.

• Mjkozki
    Options
    Thanks Gina! I finally got it right and have actually lost a few pounds in the last couple of days. I've decided to ignore the whole "net" carbs approach. It makes everything so much easier.
    I still do my bpc in the morning, because it makes it easier to get thru the day, but fortunately, I got my airfryer and frying pan set, and I'm down to two tablespoons of butter a day - and that includes what I put in my BPC!
    ginalu59 wrote: »
    Hi, and thanks for responding! I'm tracking, but it's frustrating trying to stay within the range. I actually think I'm eating too little, because I get stuffed so quickly on IF. Today, I decided to try the egg fast so I had 8 eggs with mayo and mustard (egg salad), a zip fizz and two slices of cheese. I had a BPC around 9am, and just finished an Isopure whey protein shake w/a Tablesp of cream, followed by three small Matcha Green fat bombs (matcha, cocoa butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, sweetener and a sprinkle of salt on top of each).
    I put all this in the calculator, and it came up short 120 calories, with the protein being over by 3, and the fat was under 10. I just can't wrap my brains around the idea of 1600 calories to lose weight.
    Please let me know what I'm doing wrong!:)

Keep your carbs <20. Don't deduct sugar alchohol or fiber. All movement counts to use up glycogen, glucose, fat.
    Don't use copious amount of fat either. Don't snack between meals.

• 072499tt
    072499tt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As a new comer and first time keto person, I am really appreciating this thread although it was a month ago. Thank you all for your wisdom. @Mjkozki I hope you are hanging in there and have found your groove.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Okay, this is getting confusing. According to the Ketogenic Caluculater, it says: "Based on your inputs, we suggest you eat: 1248 calories. From those, 92g fats, 20g net carbs, and 84g protein". Should I follow the Keto or Macro calculations?

I used a keto calculator that gave me very similar numbers.

When I hit close to the numbers it gave, I end up around 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.

Calorie deficit is a little different, because MFP gave me a smaller calorie deficit around 1400. So, I follow closer to the keto calculator which was around 1300, but I don't sweat it if I go over a little.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi, y'all. I just started Keto and, after reading all your posts, I have a sinking feeling I'm not doing it right. I thought the idea was to eat more fat and less protein and carbs. I'm on 1,000 calories a day and I keep my daily intake to; carbs 13g, protein 50g and fat 83g. Is this right?

That protein is WAY too low. You will lose muscle eating that little.
    Double the protein to 100g for sure. You can probably keep fat around the same or drop it by 10-15g
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I know y'all have been at this way longer than I (only been doing Keto a week and a half) so. more than likely, y'all know what you're talking about. I went and found a link that calculates my macros. According to them, for large calorie deficit (36%), I should be consuming 1236 calories, 25g of carbs, 104g of protein and 89g of fat. Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what Keto is but, everything I have read about it says one should consume more fat than protein or carbs. They also say eating too much protein can cause kidney damage and, since I only have one functioning kidney, that really concerns me. How can one tell if too much protein is being consumed? Do you think I should reset my goals to the calculations they gave me?

By CALORIES not by grams. You are eating more fat by calories.
    100g protein is 400 calories. 44g fat is also 400 calories. So 104g protein and 89g fat is 416 and 801 calories. Your fat is almost double your protein. BY CALORIES.
    People get this wrong ALL THE TIME and spread this bad info so much it’s now widely accepted as correct.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Recent tweet from Tim Noakes and a previous statement from Stephen Phinney
    ht54x1gwoc6l.jpeg
  • minivanmachoman17
    minivanmachoman17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I felt that this was an I interesting video about iron deficiency, females, and keto.

https://youtu.be/PtczW43tiu4
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I believe you are doing everything right. Have you looked into it being P.I.S.S. - it’s an unfortunate acronym. Google it and keto and you will see some info. It is a common stall that can happen 3-6 weeks after starting.

Also. I had a stall not related to that. Or more I slowed down, but was losing really slow. So I decided to start Intermittent Fasting to really confuse my metabolism. There are lots of options to try with it. And you can just see if it kicks you out of the stall, then go back to not fasting if you don’t like it.