Options

Replies

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    @CaroDav73 was wondering.....

Has anyone tried the 5:2 diet and did it work for you?

So I researched that when I decided to do intermittent fasting. 5:2 seemed a little too chaotic for me. I decided to do 16:8 and love it.

From my research:
    5:2 means you can eat “normal” for 5 days and 2 days you are supposed to keep your calories under 500 calories.
    For one, 500 calories seems really low, like I would be starving on those days. And what is “normal”? I feel like that would be an excuse to binge or eat what I want.

16:8 means you stay within your caloric limit but you only eat in an 8 hour window everyday and fast for 16 hours. So basically I just stopped eating breakfast. I eat my caloric limit within 12pm to 8pm. And honestly I wind up eating way under my limit without realizing it.
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I’m vegan and I only drink water and alcohol 😜...but I had “fish” n chips so that could explain some of the temporary weight gain too but it was delicious and I don’t regret it haha
    Krysless2 wrote: »
    drea2011 wrote: »
    Side note: am I the only one that gains 7-10 lbs with tom ?!?!

I fluctuate between 2 & 4lbs but I always try to be deep in keto around that time to help with my bloating and cravings. And I drink lots of water.

• swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I have done 5:2 and really like it. On my eating days I still did a 16:8 and was able tobkeep my calories under. On the 2 fasting days I truly did fast. You are allowed up to 500 calories but I did not eat them. I only had green tea, coffee, and water on those 2 days. Once I get past about 20 hours with nothing, I am not really hungry and my longest fast was 72 hours. There are not many health benefits once you get past 3 days in a row of fasting, so I began eating after that.

I had my biggest weight loss months on 5:2/16:8 and am going back to that for June.
  • swauters
    Options
    For those wondering why you would fast 5:2 or 16:8 or any other IF (intermittent fasting) schedule...
    m761buxgghe8.png
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Tracked, at and guess what? From dancing last night n walking lots today, achieved 8500. Yesssss my post op steps are in effect. Can I plz get a whoop whoop? 🌅 lol
  • swauters
    Options
    Tracked, at and guess what? From dancing last night n walking lots today, achieved 8500. Yesssss my post op steps are in effect. Can I plz get a whoop whoop? 🌅 lol

Whoop Whoop!
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    6/11/19 Mini Challenge
    Tracked Yes
    Under Yes
    Exercise Yes, 35 minutes elliptical(yay!)

Current standing for goals:
    Water💧 105.8oz ✔ Same as yesterday
    Steps 👟 16,109 and counting 🔥
    Bed by 9:15😴 Sunday night ✔ Monday night✔ In the plans for tonight
    Back to the gym?🏋️‍♀️
    Gym bag packed?
    Lunch packed? ❌ I go in late tomorrow, so I am making it in the morning
  • erikNJ
    Options
    Mini-challenge
    6/11
    tracked: yes
    calories: yes
    activity: yes, treadmill and weights at the gym

Sun: no
    Mon: yes
    Tue: yes
  • erikNJ
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I liked what @Krysless2 posted earlier and decided to keep a chart like this for myself to look back on.

Start: Dec 2018: 275.5
    August 2019: 245.2
    *Hit a plateau for two months, then lost motivation for three months and gained
    *After vacation I got motivation back and started intermittent fasting
    March re-start: 254.4
    April start: 249.8
    May start: 247.2
    June start: 242.7

month end goal: 239
  • sandkp
    sandkp Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    6/11
    Mini challenge
    Tracked .. yes
    Under... yes
    Exercise...60 min yes c25k day 3 31 min. 20 min weight 100 ball crunches

Sunday yes
    Monday yes
    Tuesday yes
  • Nicoletime4me
    Nicoletime4me Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    June 11
    Tracking- yes
    Calories- yes
    Exercise- yes ( 20 mins yoga)
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Mini Challenge 6.11.19
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: 20 minutes yoga
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    6/11

Exercised: meal prep for week- 4 hrs, yoga
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
  • CaroDav73
    CaroDav73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    swauters wrote: »

I have done 5:2 and really like it. On my eating days I still did a 16:8 and was able tobkeep my calories under. On the 2 fasting days I truly did fast. You are allowed up to 500 calories but I did not eat them. I only had green tea, coffee, and water on those 2 days. Once I get past about 20 hours with nothing, I am not really hungry and my longest fast was 72 hours. There are not many health benefits once you get past 3 days in a row of fasting, so I began eating after that.

I had my biggest weight loss months on 5:2/16:8 and am going back to that for June.

Thanks #Haswlers#sawters :) I think I will give it a go and see what happens
  • CaroDav73
    CaroDav73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Really sorry I got caught in the rain and my phone decided to not work only just come back on but I did log everything(and this is really helping to keep me on track) for yesterday 11/6/19 food,water,excercise if anything the anount of walking I do on shift I should have legs that I can show off for summer hols lol..
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Tuesday, June 11th Mini Challenge
    Tracked: Yes
    Under: Nope
    Exercise: 30 minute walk
    Steps: 9048

I had my food all planned out and pre-logged for the day, and my husband needed us to swing by my mom's to pick something up. Next thing we know, my brother and his fiance are cooking all of us a big meal with bratwurst, salad, macaroni and cheese, and homemade salad dressing (blue cheese vinaigrette with heavy cream, lol). So I ate the meal prepared, had a big salad and just a bit of the rest, but did not make my calorie goal. It's always hard to plan for everything, and we had a lovely night.

Goals for the week:
    -To meet my deficit each day: Missed Tuesday
    -To hit every workout on my half marathon training plan: Still on track :)
    -Start doing planks every day, for at least 1 minute total: Still on track
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    3x yes

Sunday yes
    Monday yes
This discussion has been closed.