kdv12 wrote: »
    Weekly Weigh-in
    Username: kdv12
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Starting Weight: 219
    Previous Weight: 215.4
    Today's Weight: 218.4

I went up not surprising. We had major computer issues at work and have been working 12-14 hours a day. Stress eating like crazy. I know I am doing it but cant seem to stop it. One more week then hopefully things will calm down....

I think even being stressed has me tend to put on weight, stress eating aside. I bet all of it will come off once that lets up. I know you are looking forward to things calming down. Is there anything you can do to help take care of yourself this week? Would it help to pick one "at least I'll..." thing, like drinking extra water or a 5 minute walk around the block? Anyway, hang in there!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hey, @cdudley628 and @FadedNovelty - Welcome to the Slimpossibles team! We are delighted you are joining. Jump right in on the conversation!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hi, excited to be part of the team and looking forward to the motivation of the challenge!
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    1j04b5b790xr.png

YOUR NEW TEAM MEMBERS JOINING YOUR TEAM FOR THE JULY CHALLENGE
    @fleetwood1 AND @QueenoftheMountain
    PLEASE GIVE THEM A HEARTY WELCOME TO THE MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLE TEAM
    THANKS GREG
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    19shmoo69 wrote: »
    It's crazy how things are. I did really good last week. I'm apparently not doing good this week. Smh. Same song second verse same as the first.

Hang in there! You are so determined -- an off week won't stop you.

Is there one thing you could do today, one improvement, that would have today be a bit better than yesterday?

Not really, my days are very routine. Other than food changes there is nothing I can do. I go low carb and meal prep.
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    kdv12 wrote: »
    Weekly Weigh-in
    Username: kdv12
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Starting Weight: 219
    Previous Weight: 215.4
    Today's Weight: 218.4

I went up not surprising. We had major computer issues at work and have been working 12-14 hours a day. Stress eating like crazy. I know I am doing it but cant seem to stop it. One more week then hopefully things will calm down....

I have been there too many times to count! Hang in and don’t give up!
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sunshineplace
    Week 2
    Thursday
    PW 157
    CW 156.6

By some miracle....I’ll take it!!!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »

Great going, I went low carb back in October, and have been full keto for quite a while. I think there are a lot if us out there that are insulin resistant, but just to not know it ( research says at least 30% of US population).

I've ended up going a ton of research, so if anyone wants any links to science backed sources ( none of the opinion of uninformed bloggers stuff), let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. We all have to find what works for us, as we are all different

Thanks Tess! I fought the idea of going low carb for so long but I had to get into the right state of mind where my health and weight loss was more important to me than anything else. I'm there and I pray I stay there! Yes, to whatever links you want to share!! I have also done a ton of research and I have some really good sources I go to and would love to see what you have and compare. :)

You may find this one interesting, the talk is taking place at a professional conference, and the speaker is an established accredited researcher (with many peer-reviewed papers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1zePxBJu4&list=LLynuh8D1ENgY-rtnoppkuyA&index=15&t=0s

That video was posted on a You Tube channel call Low Carb Down Under, they post mainly talks from conferences.

This page is good for recipes
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen/videos

And another good resource is www.dietdoctor.com
  • tess5036
    edited June 2019
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »

Great going, I went low carb back in October, and have been full keto for quite a while. I think there are a lot if us out there that are insulin resistant, but just to not know it ( research says at least 30% of US population).

I hit a massive stall last year which lasted months and months (about 4-5 if I remember correctly). I was eating at a defecit and doing tons of exercise, but no matter how much I burned in calories, even at 1200 a day I could not loose.

At that point I had just started training for the marathon. I saw my GP ( family doctor) for something completely unrelated and it was him that suggested I tried low carb. It has been amazing for me, not just for Wright, but overall improvements in health and endurance, and now I understand that having been obese for so long I had become insulin resistant and did not know it.

I am generally maintaining due to a heavy training schedule ( and having list the majority of the weight I needed to shift), but by keeping the carbs low I broke the stall and can now increase and decrease weight, but if I start eating too many carbs again, the old problems come back.

I've ended up going a ton of research, so if anyone wants any links to science backed sources ( none of the opinion of uninformed bloggers stuff), let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. We all have to find what works for us, as we are all different

Tess, can you tell me what your macros are on just a normal day? Not your best. Not your worst. I’ve cut back to usually 50 carbs or less and it worries me that so much of my day comes from fats. Healthy fats, yes, mostly. But still.

I keep it under 20g carbs a day, and I am at least 80% fats :). However, I am full keto and am now fat adapted, as I'm training for the marathon later this year.

I know eating fats is worrying at first and really difficult as we have been convinced by so many people over the years that fats are bad, and will cause cholesterol and is bad for the heart as well as putting on weight. In reality, the peer-reviewed evidence does not support any harm to the heart from healthy fats (those include animal saturated fats, as they are long-chain triglycerides), it is only some types of fats that are bad for us; mainly the processed fats such as canola (rapeseed) and sunflower (because they have a different chemical make up). You will also find when you eat more fats, that you get full up for much longer, although that does take a few weeks to kick in.

If someone is not insulin resistant then either low carb or low fat will work, as it is then purely calories in calories out (CICO). If someone is insulin resistant, they tend to reach a point where the CICO approach doesn't work anymore. Just make sure that you don't eat many carbs at the same time as the fat, as carbs will stimulate insulin (undisputed fact, its the basis of the GI index), and if you eat a lot of fat when the insulin is out then you may store it as fat rather than learn to burn it.
  • tess5036
    Options
    @kdv12 try not to worry about it. Stress is a trigger for weight gain, there is the potential for stress eating. However, when we are stressed we have higher levels of cortisol, and that also causes us to put on weight, but it's not fat, it will be mainly water weight. Usually, as cortisol levels return to normal, the weight will also come off.
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

I hit a massive stall last year which lasted months and months (about 4-5 if I remember correctly). I was eating at a defecit and doing tons of exercise, but no matter how much I burned in calories, even at 1200 a day I could not loose.

At that point I had just started training for the marathon. I saw my GP ( family doctor) for something completely unrelated and it was him that suggested I tried low carb. It has been amazing for me, not just for Wright, but overall improvements in health and endurance, and now I understand that having been obese for so long I had become insulin resistant and did not know it.

I am generally maintaining due to a heavy training schedule ( and having list the majority of the weight I needed to shift), but by keeping the carbs low I broke the stall and can now increase and decrease weight, but if I start eating too many carbs again, the old problems come back.

Tess, can you tell me what your macros are on just a normal day? Not your best. Not your worst. I’ve cut back to usually 50 carbs or less and it worries me that so much of my day comes from fats. Healthy fats, yes, mostly. But still.

I keep it under 20g carbs a day, and I am at least 80% fats :). However, I am full keto and am now fat adapted, as I'm training for the marathon later this year.

I know eating fats is worrying at first and really difficult as we have been convinced by so many people over the years that fats are bad, and will cause cholesterol and is bad for the heart as well as putting on weight. In reality, the peer-reviewed evidence does not support any harm to the heart from healthy fats (those include animal saturated fats, as they are long-chain triglycerides), it is only some types of fats that are bad for us; mainly the processed fats such as canola (rapeseed) and sunflower (because they have a different chemical make up). You will also find when you eat more fats, that you get full up for much longer, although that does take a few weeks to kick in.

If someone is not insulin resistant then either low carb or low fat will work, as it is then purely calories in calories out (CICO). If someone is insulin resistant, they tend to reach a point where the CICO approach doesn't work anymore. Just make sure that you don't eat many carbs at the same time as the fat, as carbs will stimulate insulin (undisputed fact, its the basis of the GI index), and if you eat a lot of fat when the insulin is out then you may store it as fat rather than learn to burn it.

Thanks, Tess.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    Hey, @cdudley628 and @FadedNovelty - Welcome to the Slimpossibles team! We are delighted you are joining. Jump right in on the conversation!

Hi @cdudley628 and @FadedNovelty ! Welcome to the group! Please jump right in!
  • buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @cdudley628
    @FadedNovelty
    @fleetwood1
    @QueenoftheMountain

Welcome to Mission Slimpossibles! I'm pretty new here myself as this is my first month. Mostly I lurk, but I do do my weigh-ins. Everyone is very supportive!

I hope all you achieve your goals!
  • tess5036
    Options

Thanks, Tess.

I've made some generalisations, and everybody is individual so they need to find out what works for themselves :)
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    [

You may find this one interesting, the talk is taking place at a professional conference, and the speaker is an established accredited researcher (with many peer-reviewed papers)

This page is good for recipes
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen/videos

And another good resource is www.dietdoctor.com

Thanks, Tess! I have seen Dr. David Ludwig and like his explanations on insulin and carbs and how it contributes to our weight. Yes, I love Diet Doctor and am on their FB group and just signed up to be a member so that I could watch all the videos and collect recipes. :D I love Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Robert Lustig! Thanks for the Headbangers Kitchen videos! I hadn't seen that before! :D

Friday Check in:
    Calories: over
    Water: over
    Exercise: 40 minutes on the treadmill

Well, I went over calories and ate wayyyy to many carbs today. I was at work with my staff and we were all very busy getting the church ready for our vacation Bible school that starts on Sunday. I hadn't brought any food with me to work except water and was starving when the pastor decided to take us all to our favorite Mexican restaurant. I got the steak fajitas and didn't eat all the rice or beans by any means, but I did have two small tortillas and about 5 chips with cheese sauce. The good news is that I by the time our food arrived I had been fasting for almost 21 hours. I had a very low fat dinner and plan to just continue on. I am not going to stop living my life and Mexican lunches are going to happen. Also, my new PHNPHO Smart Scale arrived today!! I now have a new app to play with!! :)

Hello to all our new members!! This is the best group on MFP so jump on in and have fun! :)
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @fleetwood1 and @QueenoftheMountain - Welcome to the Slimpossibles Team! This is a super friendly group, so hop right into the conversation!

• AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Thursday Check-in
    Food: all logged, all good choices/on plan, slightly under on calories
    Water: on target; I am about to drink some more
    Exercise: best day all week: 25 min Classical Stretch + 30 min martial arts practice + 164 min martial arts class; phew!

Friday Goals
    Food: all logged, all good choices, slightly under on calories
    Water: on target
    Exercise: Classical Stretch + martial arts practice
  • Dontlookback2018
    Dontlookback2018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say, I wish you all the best in your journeys, but I’m going to have to respectfully drop out. My mental state is not where it should be and my binge eating is taking over my life. I started the month with great intentions and enthusiasm, but sadly it did not last. Once I’ve taken better control over this “inner demon” I may join again for a new month. I hope you all reach your goals for a happier and healthier life :)
This discussion has been closed.