mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    Luciciul
    Week 4
    Monday
    PW: 204.2
    CW: 200.8

So close to being under 200 lbs! Next month's goal.

Awesome loss!!
  • mustb60
    Options
    WEEK 3 IS IN THE BOOKS AND
    powpbvwaluax.png

THE WINNERS ARE...
    TEAM % Shrinking Assets 0.42%
    TEAM % WaistAways 0.42%
    INDIVIDUAL % shockvalue07 3.23%
    TEAM LBS LOST Shrinking Assets 20.2
    INDIVIDUAL LBS LOST buniphuphu 08.6

PLACE TEAM PERCENTAGE
    1st Shrinking Assets 0.42%
    1ST WaistAways 0.42%
    2ND WEIGHT NO MORE 0.17%
    3RD Trimstones 0.15%

PLACE TEAM LBS LOST
    1st Shrinking Assets 20.2
    2nd WaistAways 19.3
    3rd Trimstones 7.7

PLACE INDIVIDUAL PERCENTAGE
    1st shockvalue07 3.23%
    2nd buniphuphu 2.73%
    3rd Burningskies2018 2.23%

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    Southpalms
    kx7003
    Mskatz1966
    Angmarie28
    bear479
    rosetigger
    bsgraham10
    Mrshorntonk
    Perla4686
    As a whole we lost 54.9 LBS
    OR 0.19% .....!!

Congratulations to all the winners!! 💐
  • mustb60
    Options
    Down with fever and stomach infection so could not exercise or walk on 23rd.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    6/23
    Steps
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Marilata05 wrote: »
    Thank you for the welcome :smile: I am really looking forward to participating in July's challenges and getting to know the team. I've just recently started logging my food again and I have been using my FitBit for about a week, to log my steps. I lost approximately 50lbs over the last year (from 440ish to 392) but haven't really been logging food or exercising. I'm hoping to use this first month to establish a better routine for my walking and make more progress with my weight loss goals. So far, my highest daily step count was just under 5k. I'm going to push myself a bit more this upcoming week because I wasn't really tired as much as bored of walking. Hopefully adding my audio books to the routine will help.

Welcome😘❤❤❤
  • southpalms
    southpalms Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Steps 6/23
  • ChoseMyChains
    ChoseMyChains Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    6/22: 5987
    6/23: 6142
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    pjshawley
    PW: 247.5
    CW: 245
    Lost: 2.5 pounds

One more week and I can get back on my exercise bike. Here's to a great week!
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    I seriously don’t get weight loss. I was on my game doing everything I was supposed to do for 2 weeks and no weight would come off. I got discouraged and fell off the bandwagon this weekend. I ate at an all you can eat buffet, and had a massive lasagna dinner, AND skipped my run. Monday and Tuesday I didn’t go crazy, but didn’t track very well and probably ate over my calorie goal.

Today I stepped on the scale just to see how bad the damage was, and I lost a pound! What?! I mean yay I am excited – but I just don’t understand.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

There's so many things that can explain weight variations like this - all completely speculative!

Firstly, while we track "weight loss", because it is an easy measure to track, what we really aim for is fat loss, which is harder to measure.

Weight is a mix of fat, muscle, bone, water, contents of your digestive tract, etc and can vary throughout the day significantly, let alone from day to day - with hydration being the biggest cause for variances. Weigh yourself, have a glass of water, weigh yourself again - did you just put on weight? Yes. Did you put on fat? No.

So when weight loss stalls for a few weeks, even though you're doing everything right, you might have lost some fat but retained water at the same time so your total weight is not changing.

For many women there are key points in their menstrual cycle where their weight loss stalls or they put on weight - for me it is in the half week prior to my period. Hormonal changes cause water retention or bloating that increases weight temporarily, then there is a drop of this excess weight after my period. Did your cycle factor into the recent stall and loss?

If you look at the hormonal model, sleep and stress also play a part in whether we gain or lose fat. If on your weekend off the bandwagon you relaxed, had fun, enjoyed yourself, perhaps this was a letting go of stress that had been holding you back? Perhaps you skipped your run to get extra sleep?

And maybe you didn't eat as much as you thought you did. Some types of foods are filling but not necessarily fattening. You might have felt "full" and assumed you ate way too much, but feeling full may have led you to eat fewer snacks or eat less at the next meal or be a bit better in food choices in the days after. Diets that are high in fat often work on this principle - fatty foods fill people up, so they don't feel as hungry, and don't eat at much in total. Conversely, perhaps some of the foods you usually eat, which fit within your calorie restricted diet, are more fattening than the foods you ate on the weekend - hence stall followed by loss?

Lastly, there is also the biggest conundrum of dieting: pretty much every diet ever studied that involves continuous calorie restriction results not just in weight loss but in a lowered metabolism. There are some small studies (not solid) that suggest calorie cycling might be able to counteract the drop in metabolism. One model of calorie cycling is to diet for a week, then eat at full BMR for a week; another is an alternate day cycle (diet one day, eat full BMR the next); the 5:2 diet (eat reasonably healthily 5 days without calorie counting, then very low calories for 2 days); intermittent fasting is another variance. In theory, when your body is continuously getting a reduced calorie load it lowers metabolism so that input=output, but when it has irregular amounts of calories (sometimes plenty, sometimes a deficit), it doesn't get used to it so keeps burning energy at a normal rate regardless of energy input.

Under this theory, if you have been continuously eating reduced calories for a while, perhaps your body had started to slow the metabolism, but in having a few days of increased calories, perhaps it gave your body a reason to boost its metabolism.

At the end of the day - the long term trend is the important one, rather than short term gains and losses.

I had never heard of the idea of continued calorie restriction lowering your metabolism! That is so weird, but it makes a lot of sense. I have noticed this pattern of when I splurge I lose weight (while dieting and calorie counting, not just eating whatever I want obviously lol) and had always thought maybe it was just restricted water weight, but I am wondering now if it has to do with my metabolism. Maybe a “cheat” day now and then is actually good for me. I may start trying a day or two at maintenance level calories if I don’t lose for a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing all of your insight! :)
This discussion has been closed.