WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm back. I missed my team and it looks like I missed July sign ups, as well (since it's now July 1). It's been a rough June but I'm back with a vengeance (plus 7 lbs). I'll join back into the group in August. Until then, I'll keep a weight chart along with you all. You all are doing great! Here's to an awesome July!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,212 Member
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »
    I'm back. I missed my team and it looks like I missed July sign ups, as well (since it's now July 1). It's been a rough June but I'm back with a vengeance (plus 7 lbs). I'll join back into the group in August. Until then, I'll keep a weight chart along with you all. You all are doing great! Here's to an awesome July!!

YOU ARE NOT GONE!!!! You are still in the team - you were on support for one month, and you are back on active duty now! Give us a starting weight, and jump in with a green pledge for July!

Did I use enough !! ?
  • jugar
    Options
    WOW! Good Monday, everyone, and Happy Canada Day for those of us up here. You have been a busy bunch while I was out in the garden this morning!

All the green pledges are up to date - and impressive they are. Let's really work hard to stick to them, ok? I'm panicking a bit because since my Friday weigh-in I have put on a pound (I thought it was suspiciously low, but got rather into pretending it wasn't over the weekend). But I will do my best to get that gone!

STEPS TEAM
    For those who want to continue and anyone who wants to join in - steps are ready to be counted. I'll keep the same people as last month unless anyone wants off or on. Just let me know and start sending in those numbers, as of YESTERDAY. June 30 is the 1st day of July, right? So @martinesther88 you are on.

@tigrib - so good to meet you! Another Canadian on our wonderful team. We seem to have quite a few! I am SO with you on the wine issue - it is amazing how much easier it is to keep the weight moving in the right direction without any alcohol. Sigh. But if you want to buddy up on this and try to stick to one (or 2?) times per week, or some other not too drastic reduction, let me know! Gotta get you ready for that wedding in October, right?

@micki48 - macros. being over 55. All important things to experiment with. I finally have settled on not too close numbers for protein, carbs, fat but I make sure that at least 80% of what I eat is vegetables and fruit. Protein I keep to fish, beans, and nuts for the most part (plus non-fat yogurt), but I try to eat almost no processed carbs. Avoiding flour in any form really helps me - I do not eat low carb, but I make sure they are not processed as much of the time as possible. I do not do this 100%, but it really helps. So mostly plants (you can eat a ton, really fill up, and get creative about cooking them). I have to watch fats (hereditary fat processing problem, sadly) but avocados and nuts are in there for sure. Not too much, but they are there. So I lost the bulk of my weight well after age 55, and maintain fairly well now into 65+.
  • jugar
    Options
    WEIGH INS DUE FOR MONDAY!
    @Davelocklear
    @Hcat35
    @Juliemargaretkim
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Question now that I’m finding my seat on that wagon...do you use the standard preset for macros 50/20/30 or do you tweak it? What do you finds works for you and why? Also, my fat % is often higher than target because I eat avocados often. I feel like I shouldn’t worry about that because avocado fat is good fat. Right?

After 2 months of hovering around 200, I am trying to wake my body/metabolism up to start losing weight again. I know many of the reasons are my habits, but some is 55 year old biology. Any suggestions appreciated.

And welcome new members! This is a great group. 😊👍🏻

I checked my settings and it's 50c/30f/20p (maybe the same as yours depending on where you're looking - a friend told me they show up in a different order on the mobile app). Protein maybe should be a little higher, but many days I struggle to reach this amount as it is. I don't really worry about going over on individual macros, it's not important for my goals - only the total calories matter to me!

As for age, we do need slightly fewer calories as we get older but it's not a huge difference. I started on here when I was 50 and in perimenopause, and lost weight just fine following the MFP guidelines for my calorie intake. Eating less calories than you burn works whatever age you are, because it's science. :) It's nailing down the amount you actually burn that can be a little tricky sometimes, as we're not all the same, so it can require some experimentation at the start. I eventually worked out that because I'm very sedentary I was burning around 100 cals less per day than my fitness tracker had estimated, so I had to reduce my calories slightly to get the results I wanted. Once I'd lost a decent amount of weight, MFP seemed to figure out what my true maintenance was and it's been fairly accurate for me since then.
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,273 Member
    Options
    Happy Canada Day! From Edmonton,Alberta!! It's rainy and dreary here. As it has been for almost 2 weeks now...grrrrrrr! We are heading to the Aviation Museum for the afternoon with 2 of 4 kids...lol
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Happy Canada Day! From Edmonton,Alberta!! It's rainy and dreary here. As it has been for almost 2 weeks now...grrrrrrr! We are heading to the Aviation Museum for the afternoon with 2 of 4 kids...lol

Come down to the Calgary area, it's sunny and warm here! ;)
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

So I lost the bulk of my weight well after age 55, and maintain fairly well now into 65+.

Omg @jugar I had no idea you were over 65! That is way cool! For some reason, I pictured you as 30 something. You're writing is always so upbeat. No I'm not in any way implying that seniors are boring or dull. I just had no idea. Thanks to you and the rest of our seniors on the team for reminding us 50 somethings that age ain't nothing but a numba!!!! I'm definitely inspired by you!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I am moving to active roster this month, so put me in for 3 pounds on the Challenge Column

My starting weight is 138.9

Done! Are you sticking with Friday weigh-ins?

Yes. That way I have to be "in the green" all week and don't have a "false drop" from sleeping in on the weekend ....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    It's Canada Day => non office day here too.

I am going to be 61 in October, and sadly, not gong to be retired for another 4 years or so (assuming that we don't win some via the lottery first .... I'm not greedy - $250,000 and up will suit us just fine ... )

I too am getting back to Full Every-Day Logging (both food and intentional exercise). I have had 3 months on Maintenance - and am very pleased to announce that despite trying out a less-rigid lifestyle, I am still nicely within (the upper end) of my Pre-Determined Maintenance Zone.

HOWEVER .... I have noticed some not-so-great cafeteria purchases sneaking back in tooooooo often recently ... and I have also recently started using some colouring-type apps as my creative outlet / main leisure-activites .... while slacking on the intentional exercise side. When I didn't have a fitbit, the only way to KNOW I had done ~10,000 steps was in context of my exercise game.

Lately, I have been "settling" for ~ 10,000 (or more) steps INCLUDING exergame - often around 4 to 6 thou outside the game in the course of a workday - less on a weekend.

So I am pledging:
    • a minimum 100 game-calorie burn (~ 35 minutes / 4.5 to 5 thou steps) IN GAME CONTEXT Intentional Exercise regardless of how many other steps from "non-intentional sources" like walking with friend for her cardio-rehab, or to/from store for one or two items etc.
    • And try to keep those non-intentional steps boosted too.
    • And not letting the fitbit "count bike pedaling towards daily step total"
    • And using a timer when doing the colouring to prompt 5 minute Bike HIIT sessions once an hour ... and DO include them in the MFP Exercise log
    • And keeping the food logging complete (and actually IN the diary .... )

You-all are allowed to bug me about "How many bike sessions did you get in yesterday .... HHMMMM?????"
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    #show me the green - I pledge to lose 3 pounds this month
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    WEIGH INS DUE FOR MONDAY!
    @Davelocklear
    @Hcat35
    @Juliemargaretkim

Am I still in on Monday? I was offline for the weekend. Sorry. I'll go green. I should do 10 pounds but seeing how crazy the last two weeks have been and knowing how crazy the next two weeks will be, I'm going to pledge 5 lbs. Summers are hard!!
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    @BMcC9 I've seen you mention colouring apps before... would you mind sharing details? :) I love to colour for relaxation/therapy but sometimes I find it uncomfortable to lean over the table with a traditional book and pens and it gives me backache.
  • SueSueDio
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Team Weight No More's Week One Challenge

syzqztxll0on.jpg

I did the Chair Yoga today - I wanted to try the Chair Abs one, but discovered that it's way too painful to try and pull my knees up like that right now! So I'll stick to the routines that are easier on my back... I might just alternate this one and the "Back Fix" routine for now.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    @BMcC9 I've seen you mention colouring apps before... would you mind sharing details? :) I love to colour for relaxation/therapy but sometimes I find it uncomfortable to lean over the table with a traditional book and pens and it gives me backache.

I have an android device, but I know that either these or close variants also come in Apple-friendly and PC friendly versions ... Both are free to install, and have in-app ads and purchasing options.

I have been using Happy Colour for about a month now. It includes a Daily Picture, Editor's Pick of the Week and lots of categories to choose from, with new pictures being added every day. If you condescend to watch a 30-second ad from time to time (entirely optional to activate) you get a gift of 2 "show you where they are" hints. Or you can just zoom in the picture to as close-up as you need, and keep scrolling till you find that tiny area that they want you to miss (so that you will use the hint, and watch an ad later to get more hints). Pictures can tend to be anywhere from 29 (rare) to just over 100 shades. You tap the colour you want to fill in next from the selection across the bottom, and all applicable areas turn grey so that you can find them.

The "Daily Pictures", and the library are only available while connected to the internet. But once you fill in even 1 piece of one colour for any of the regulars in the library, the picture will be available to continue working on even if off-line. I have been known to start 6 or 8 so that I will have them available if I know I am going to be sitting in a waiting room for a long stretch with the possibility of no guest wi-fi available.

Just this past week I also downloaded Cross Stitch World. Like the name implies, it is a cross-stitch simulation app. If you fill in a stitch with the wrong colour, you have to "unpick it". Unpicking doesn't work if you are off-line. So this will be SLIGHTLY less portable, I am thinking. But so far (I have done some small and some medium sized) everything uses a 32-colour pallet. Each block looks like a "cross-stitch" as you tap it. You can zoom in to 2x or 3x magnification (depending on your eye-sight and how fat your fingers are :D ) I tend to zoom to full size, decide where I will fill in next, then zoom right in to 3x close up.

For both of these, you DO have to use "the designated colour in the designated spot" (unlike traditional colouring books and pens)

I have an old typing stand that I use to prop up the tablet when working on these. And you could set an alarm of some kind to remind you to take a break (whether from the tablet or from the pens)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Thank you! They sound more like "colour by numbers" sort of things, but perhaps I'll give it a try for something different. :) (I used to do a lot of actual cross stitch, but switched to paper crafts when my eyes got worse. I have so many kits I'd like to make at some point, though!)
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Finally got my head back in the zone, I hope! Did C25K week 5 run 1 today after a week's break. It was challenging but do-able and felt good.
    Welcome all newbies to this amazing team! Good luck!

@Perla4686 Do you stick to the 3x a week routine for C25K, or do you do something different? Just wondering.
This discussion has been closed.