BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    tdeqjr68iopo.png
    TEAM WAISTAWAYS PLEASE WELCOME TO YOUR TEAM
    @wlcmac81
    PLEASE MAKE @wlcmac81 FEEL WELCOMED TO YOUR TEAM
    AS @wlcmac81 GETS SETTLED IN
    THANKS GREG

Welcome! Ask us anything, any time both about this group and MFP in general if needs be. We are your support resource/ reference desk!
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    UserID: karenesg
    Weigh in: Wedn Week 1
    PW: 188
    CW: 187.4 B)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    Options
    Oh TALK THAT DE-CLUTTER TALK!!

Clearing out my mother-in-law's house after her death has made me acutely aware of the stupidity of hanging onto things we don't use, need, or even want. I have enjoyed giving her many beautiful clothes to people who will use them (the woman knew how to shop for the best!). I have given away sheets. I will keep some towels and get rid of our ragged ones. But mostly I am inspired to get after the excesses in our house. I just found that website - the colour scheme is wild, but I look forward to getting into it. I am really good at keeping my clothes at a minimum, but not so good on other stuff. I am getting the book The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnusson also. You young things in the group don't need to worry about this, but it is a gift to you from the older people in your life if they do this.

AND it makes you feel lighter. Anything that does that is good!

You are finding all the good ways to BE lighter. @evangsimmons170 you are on fire! Heck with green, you are exuding bright flames! Great work on the exercise minutes and step numbers. WOW. And @tigrib - your brief message about just being on plan for 2 days is way more important than its small size. It IS the way to get there.

And a big welcome to @wlcmac81 - I hope this team will give you a good place to share, find support, and get inspired. Give us an introduction and dive in :smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    I forgot one question. @tigrib - did you ever get my message (through MFP messaging) when you first signed up, but before you came into the chat page? I have sent messages to all the new members and they are not marked "read" in my sent mail box. I worry that they did not ever get to you. Could you let me know? Thanks!
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Welcome @wlcmac81. You're gonna love the inspiration and motivation you get from this team.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is typically Friday but we'll be heading out of town early Friday morning for the holiday weekend (like 5:00 am early). I'm afraid I'll wake up and forget to weigh and log on to the computer before we leave. So to be safe, I'll just weigh tomorrow (Thursday), if that's okay. Then it'll be back to Fridays.
  • jugar
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »
    My weigh in day is typically Friday but we'll be heading out of town early Friday morning for the holiday weekend (like 5:00 am early). I'm afraid I'll wake up and forget to weigh and log on to the computer before we leave. So to be safe, I'll just weigh tomorrow (Thursday), if that's okay. Then it'll be back to Fridays.

No problem!
  • jugar
    Options
    One more and then I'll get back outside!

Team Waistaways is responsible for next week's challenge to the full F2F tribe. We get to come up with an idea that everyone on all 6 teams can do - it can relate to diet, exercise, motivation, or whatever we want. This week's was the 5 minute exercise ideas. Those are really helpful. For next week - IDEAS? Even if it is a vague one, toss in into the chat and we'll work on details. I have to post in on Sunday, so ....

GO!
  • karenesg
    Options
    Hey everyone! Happy July!! Welcome to all my new teammates and welcome back to everyone else. Thanks for keeping us going Liselyn, Barb, Greg and Mari!

It’s a hot Hot HOT one here today in the NE USA – and muggy – the first day of my week-long vacation so will be a good day to get some swimming and water walking in – in between catching up on house and garden work. I’ve missed a whole lot of posts the last few days and am a bit behind on all my goals, but I’m here and I’m running hard to catch up with you all … because I won’t be left behind!

I see many of us have medical/health concerns, either our own or loved ones (or both!), we’re dealing with. It’s so hard to keep at it and stay focused on food planning, exercise, generally taking good care of ourselves - keeping all the balls in the air - when stressed with these issues. All my boys (husband and two grown kids) are currently dealing with unforeseen medical issues/injuries. I try to be calm, be the steady hand for everyone but it takes its toll and I tend to rationalize bad decisions (mainly too much alcohol) when worried and exhausted. And that’s why I’m here. You’re all an inspiration. I’m rooting for everyone to have a successful day meeting your goals and looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

I never got to it last month so here is my WHY:

I’ve struggled with my weight and fitness my entire life. I used to want to lose weight to look better. Now, at age 58, it’s to be healthy and painfree. Everything I do - and do not do – affects my future health. I want to remain active and do fun things, enjoy my family and friends, my work and hobbies. Hospital waiting rooms are a waste of time! Meds and co-pays are a waste of money! I might not ever look the way I want to but I can do a lot to feel the way I want!

Here’s to good health! B)

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Weigh day: Wed
    PW: 174.4
    CW: 175.6
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    3 of those extra-large dark-green garbage bags FULL of "not needed in our linen cupboard" got donated to a charity pick-up drive today.
    • TOOOOO many towels / washcloths;
    • sheets for a twin bed (there is no twin bed in our entire house!);
    • fancy table-cloth and napkin set (never once used in 31 years of marriage);
    • even-bigger tablecloth suitable to seating 12 (our table will do 6 in a pinch ... )
    I feel lighter already!

According to the "Throw Out 50 Things" score-sheet - I just "threw out 3 or 4 things". Bedding, bath linens, table linens, and some books.

There's a web-site.

And according to this site's philosophy, "Throw Out" does NOT auto-mean "to the curb on the way to landfill". It means "leave your property".

So whatever you declutter could be donated to go to a a shelter or church rummage sale, your own garage sale, any other type of recycle / consignment / municipal special-disposal drop off event etc. Or passed on to friends or family who could actually USE it.

But it has to ACTUALLY "leave your property". Shifting it to another room, or the basement / garage / back shed doesn't count.

Did you do any spring cleaning this year? (clothes OR other "stuff" ) Did you feel like your space could breathe better once you were done?

I feel loads better when my house is in order. Sadly, that isn't the norm. I try to employ the rule -- I can't bring something in, unless something goes out. I also try not to impulse buy. I have mixed results as the others in my home think these rules are crazy talk. LOL

My teenage daughter watched that new decluttering show. I forget the name. Shortly after she produced an insane amount of bags for us to donate. I have no idea how all of it was in her room.

I noticed that when I'm on track physically, my house is in better order, aka, I have clutter under control. It is a struggle for me because my husband never, repeat never, wants to throw something out or give it away. If he can't find something, he grumbles that I probably threw it out. It's a joke in our house.

• zlauerMom
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    One more and then I'll get back outside!

Team Waistaways is responsible for next week's challenge to the full F2F tribe. We get to come up with an idea that everyone on all 6 teams can do - it can relate to diet, exercise, motivation, or whatever we want. This week's was the 5 minute exercise ideas. Those are really helpful. For next week - IDEAS? Even if it is a vague one, toss in into the chat and we'll work on details. I have to post in on Sunday, so ....

GO!
    is a decluttering challenge too outside the box?
  • zlauerMom
    Options
    Username @evangsimmons170
    6/30/19
    Exercise minutes = 68
    Steps = 11,321
    Water (in oz) = 70

7/1/19
    Exercise minutes = 123
    Steps = 14,664
    Water (in oz) = 40

7/2/19
    Exercise minutes = 97
    Steps = 15,694
    Water (in oz) = 64

You are killing it!!
  • zlauerMom
    Options
    Good morning team!

Well today is the day. Outpatient surgery scheduled in a few hours to repair the hematoma I’ve been struggling with for the past 10 weeks. I hope this is the end of struggling with this thing. Knowing my luck, other complications may arise lol. I will try to come in later today or tomorrow morning to let you all know how it went. Wish me luck team ❤️

Wishing you luck and more. Keep us posted.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Remember the 4-Minute Four Circle exercise from back last March? Would it be ok to recycle/repackage that as "Summer Goal Setting"? It promotes the "stick with and trust the daily PROCESS - and let long-term PROGRESS take care of itself" state of mind and reinforces that what we do most Just For Today makes a cumulative impact (positive or negative) over time.

Here are the original instructions (inside spoiler)
    A Four minute Four Circle goal setting tool

Adapted from Steve Chandler's book "100 ways to motivate yourself"

The Four Circle Method is a game changer if you suffer with the thought "I have so much weight to lose and it will TAKE FOREVER."

This is a great tool that helps you plan what you will do today to get you to that far away goal. You see, most of us are just disconnected from the smaller version of ourselves. We can't believe that the little things we do today MATTER. We think things like, "This bite won't hurt" or "I’m done… weighing 150lbs will take forever so give me a cookie."

The Four Circles basically trains your brain to believe how important today's tiny steps are. Yep...drinking the water matters versus our usual thought of drinking the water isn't enough.

Instructions: Start by drawing four circles on a piece of paper (see example below). The circles represent one year, one month, one week, and today. Inside each circle write down what you want. It can be anything. Start with the one year circle first.

The top left circle is the one year goal.

The top right breaks that goal down into a smaller piece, a monthly goal.

The bottom left is an even smaller piece, a weekly goal.

The bottom right is EVERYTHING you are going to do today that will help you reach your goal.(nb from BMcC9 – or limit it to top 3 if “everything” is too overwhelming …. Swap in the next three at weekly or monthly review-time, as new habits get established and don’t need as much conscious attention)

Without looking at our goals on a daily basis, we tend to lose sight of them and get caught up in reacting to people and circumstances, forgetting about our one year goal. If you hit your daily goal every day, your weekly goal is automatically hit. If your weekly goal every week is reached, the monthly goal has to happen If you hit your monthly goal every month, your yearly goal will be achieved.

Ultimately, success is dependent upon just one of the circles: the circle labeled "today". When you realize the irrefutable mathematical truth contained in this system, you have just proved on paper that your day and your life are the same thing. There is no future other than the future you are working on today. Your future is not stranded out there somewhere in space.

Every day matters. What will you do today?

(NB from BMcC9: Seems to me ... offhand .... I could also apply much the same strategy to NON-weight-related personal challenges as well .... like regular, systematic studying for my Second Language Exams, or getting to the bottom of my mending pile ... or building up the savings account etc etc ..... )

I'll find and forward the original illustration that went with it.

BTW, this would be a GREAT time for anybody to do a Seasonal Circle Status Check, whether this becomes the nucleus of our full-F2F weekly challenge or not.

I will be redoing my original "Starting Maintenance" circles from 3 months ago.
  • zlauerMom
    Options
    For those that asked, I'm sharing the link to my pottery site. I hesitate to share because it isn't up-to-date. None of my recent work is on it and probably everything pictured is long gone. I was going to wait to share until I got it updated but that isn't going to happen any time soon. My instagram has more of what I've been up to recently, but I stopped posting there when I was thrown into the no studio tailspin.
    In any case, this will give an idea of what I like to do.
    hmlceramics.com
  • BMcC9
    Options

Clearing out my mother-in-law's house after her death has made me acutely aware of the stupidity of hanging onto things we don't use, need, or even want. .... But mostly I am inspired to get after the excesses in our house.

Last month .... we decluttered all the kitchen gadgets that have been gathering dust for decades, AND (you REALLY don't what to know HOW many) dead pens / pencils / erasers / other office supplies .... and home-office file drawers.
  • karenesg
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

Clearing out my mother-in-law's house after her death has made me acutely aware of the stupidity of hanging onto things we don't use, need, or even want. .... But mostly I am inspired to get after the excesses in our house.

Last month .... we decluttered all the kitchen gadgets that have been gathering dust for decades, AND (you REALLY don't what to know HOW many) dead pens / pencils / erasers / other office supplies .... and home-office file drawers.

I'm working on this too!! Basement is full of stuff. Can't store stuff I use in my closets & cupboards because they're full of stuff I don't use!! On my list of things to do today: Get rid of 5 things. I try to do this every so often. As I go about my day, I try to get rid of 5 things in every room I go into or every drawer, closet, cupboard I open up. It's amazing how much stuff I can unload in a day of focusing on this! Also amazing at how much stuff I still have lol!

Good luck my friends!
This discussion has been closed.