WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    I too am loving your ceramics, @zlauerMom . The fairy doors are fabulous, and the bowls. I want to see more. You live near where I grew up! My dad still lives there in Lunenburg, Massachusetts. He sings in the Salibury Singers in Worcester, and the first orchestra job that paid actual money that I ever had was also in Worcester. One of the other moderators of F2F, @steplaj , lives near Worcester too. The next time I visit my dad in Mass., I'll hopefully get to meet you!

I have not had a good exercise day, but lots of garden work, tramping about, and carrying things. That is not bad, but it is not enough to really keep the muscle tone as I like it. The summer weather, which has finally arrived, is messing with my "I can do this any time" mentality. So as of tomorrow, the strength workout happens early. I will get up earlier, and just do it before anything else. I am not wild about first thing in the morning workouts, but that is what I need for the hot weather time.

I hope everyone is having a good hump day!

HEADS UP for Thursday weigh ins
    @Blackbeautysue is the only one! But I'm still hoping to hear from

@Davelocklear
    @Hcat35
    New members who have not found us yet????
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    karenesg wrote: »
    So in my quest to be a more active teammate and better cheerleader, I’m trying to catch up with who you all are, what your goals are, and anything else you all would like to share.

I haven’t posted an introduction myself in some time so here goes…

I’m Karen. I live in the NE USA, like to keep my name and face private but like sharing with this team and seeing everyone’s progress. I’m semi-retired, 58, married, two grown children. No grands yet. Love to garden, play with beads (make jewelry), and swim. I have some lower back disc damage from 20+ years ago and had to give up a lot of activities in order to stay painfree. I like doing Pilates. I take in-studio Reformer classes a couple times a week. I’ve found having a strong front helps to support my weakened back and keep it painfree. My heaviest weight was 218 and my goal is to get down to 161 by my 60th bday… Sept 2020.

I look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Peace –
    Karen B)

@karensg We have a lot in common. I used to live in the NE but now live in North Carolina. I’m 55 with two grown children. One adorable granddaughter who is 14 months. I love to garden too and play with beads. I make earrings mostly. I belong to an online Pilates community. Though truth be told, I don’t use it enough. And my heaviest weight was the same. I was an elementary school teacher for over 20 years, but for now, I watch my granddaughter. Love this group and getting to know you all and being able to count on everyone for support and encouragement. 😊Michele
  • martinesther88
    martinesther88 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Steps 7/3~9,035
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Good morning ☀️. My procedure yesterday went well. Unfortunately it was quite painful. The heavy duty work was pain free but quite scary and what I did feel was when they were closing up. I felt every stich and staple 😭. But I’ve been put on some pretty heavy meds so I am feeling much better today. The surgeon has left a drain in which may or may not be taken out tomorrow. This depends on how much fluid I have coming out. I’m going for a short walk this morning so I don’t lose the habit of going out for workouts but I promise I will take it slow. I’ve had to stop IF for the time being due to the meds. I have to take them with meals.

@mari_moulin wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm glad all went well.
  • jugar
    Options
    Good morning team! Happy 4th to those of you in the US, and happy Thursday to the rest.

I'm so glad you got through your procedure, Mari @mari_moulin . That sounds tough - but it is good you are taking it easy (you are, aren't you?) and eating when you need to (but not too much, right?). Hopefully this will heal fast and be all cleared up soon. <3

@matthewsfive good resolution! There is not reason to have a blow out today o:)

@martinesther88 - do you have a step count for Sunday (June 30)? We officially started July on Sunday. Thanks!

So I did my workout this morning, and I'm feeling virtuous. Out to the garden now!
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Telling myself, Yes today is the 4th of July but I am not going to give it the reason to eat poorly. Today is like any other day. I am going to try my hardest to keep making good decisions.

You’ve got this. This is when our new learned self discipline comes into play. Do the best you can and forgive yourself if you don’t do as well as you’d hoped. You’ve got this! I believe in you.
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    I'm so glad you got through your procedure, Mari @mari_moulin . That sounds tough - but it is good you are taking it easy (you are, aren't you?) and eating when you need to (but not too much, right?). Hopefully this will heal fast and be all cleared up soon. <3

Well, taking it easy yeahhhhhhh, you know me I can’t sit still. Been trying to clear out some things here at home. But no heavy lifting or anything like that. And my eating is good. Not much of an appetite cause it’s too hot to eat lol. But I am eating well with healthy choices and taking my meds. Thanks GF.
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,284 Member
    Options
    STEPS:
    July 3 - 16397
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Pouring rain today. My fatigue is really bad too. I count it a win I got up and dressed. Some days you just don't have any spoons. -_-

Last night we binged an entire season of a show called That Time I Was Reincarnated as a Slime. So this week has been video games and cartoons. It occurs to me that I'm not much of an adult.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just throwing a question out here. My 15 year old son, who's been running with me, is really keen on gaining some muscle. He's never enjoyed the usual sports, ball games etc (he prefers a good book) but wants to feel strong and healthy (currently very tall and skinny ;) )
    Is it safe for him to start lifting weights and does anyone know of a program/YouTube channel safe for that age group?
    I only started looking after my body in my 30's LOL so clueless here...
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Just throwing a question out here. My 15 year old son, who's been running with me, is really keen on gaining some muscle. He's never enjoyed the usual sports, ball games etc (he prefers a good book) but wants to feel strong and healthy (currently very tall and skinny ;) )
    Is it safe for him to start lifting weights and does anyone know of a program/YouTube channel safe for that age group?

Yes, it's safe. Though he may not see much results for a while since he's early into puberty and muscle growth requires all those hormones. So make sure he doesn't get impatient and hurt himself.
  • jugar
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »

My son started working out around that age, and it was fantastic the results he was able to build, without ever getting crazy and into bulk, cutting, and all that nonsense. He was lucky to have a good coach for basketball who got him onto a sane gym routine. I strongly suggest a session or two with a trainer who knows what is what for adolescents, if possible. If not, weirdly enough, I think some programs aimed at women who are getting serious about muscle toning are a great place to begin. Kelly Lee has a lot of good ones on youtube but there are more if you're willing to pay a modest amount for a Grokker subscription. If he really wants a guy to play along with, take a look at gmb.io for good articles on keeping safe and sane while training, and some quite unorthodox training methods. For the tried and true, there are a lot out there. It depends a lot on what kind of equipment you have or are willing to get. The most cost effective and fun one I can think of is the TRX (or other knock-off suspension training systems). There are tons of good videos, countless exercises, and it is all based on your own body weight. Can you tell my son and I had a lot of fun over this stuff? He's still my fave fitness consultant. At 22 he could be an underwear model...

Good luck with it!
  • jugar
    Options
    Username @evangsimmons170
    IDK what hit me yesterday afternoon and evening, but I was too weak to exercise at all! This just supports my own theory (that I haven't put into practice consistently) that getting up at 4 am to workout is far better because at that hour, no one needs you, and your day hasn't gotten crazy yet or taken unexpected turns. Well I've got a lot of steppin to do between now and Saturday night if I'm going to make my 100,000 step goal. I'm almost halfway there.

Happy 4th of July everyone! :smiley:

I hear that song! I am also having to make sure I get my exercise done early now. For years while I was working I always did that. But since retiring, I have a habit of exercising in the afternoon. Now that is not so good in summer - it is too hot, or I work in the garden all morning and then feel too tired, or busy, or there is housework, or (insert excuse here). I did the early (NOT 4 am!!) thing today, and it felt good! I was more tired when working outside afterwards, but that was OK. Slow is not bad. Let us know how it goes! And keep on steppin' :smiley:
  • jugar
    Options
    HEADS UP! Tomorrow is the BIG day for weigh-ins.
    @AmyRobF
    @Connie7355
    @jlbtnc
    @Jugar
    @kx7003
    @leni1us (already submitted early)
    @martinesther88
    @Perla4686
    @tigrib
    @visiri
    @BMcC9
    @WLCMAC81

Get them in - the good, the bad, the fabulous, the "meh" -- we want them all. And steps? Who else is counting? Send me numbers. I love numbers.
  • jugar
    Options
    I had one more idea for next week's challenge. It combines aspects of NEAT and finding ways to amp up our ordinary movements. And it is ridiculous. But hopefully effective.

Some of you might be old enough to have been Monty Python's Flying Circus fans. Remember the Ministry of Silly Walks? cx3a6xsvgjvb.png

Well why not challenge everyone to implement silly walking into their trips from the kitchen to the bathroom, the livingroom to the kitchen, the parking lot to the store entrance (only for the bravest and least shy among us!)? High knees, use a mini band to do "monster walks" (forwards, sideways, back - they're seriously silly looking but work the hips like mad), walking lunges, hopping on one foot, fire hydrant walking, skipping - it could get mighty silly. And build muscle. And burn calories.
    dtblf196xwkg.png9p5cd2ch04rd.png

So far the list of possibles for our challenge to the other teams:

DE-CLUTTER do some every day. Tell about it.
    Increase Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (moving around more when not exercising) - share yours!
    4 circles method goal setting
    Silly Walks - with photos, line drawings, and absurd descriptions to be posted.

If you have a grand preference for a ONE WEEK challenge that could be compatible with vacation mind-sets all while meeting our GREEN JULY pounds lost pledges - let me know! We still have a couple of days to decide.

thanks!

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 steps
    July 2 10,145
    July 3 8,274
    July 4 10,667
This discussion has been closed.