WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Thank you! They sound more like "colour by numbers" sort of things, but perhaps I'll give it a try for something different. :) (I used to do a lot of actual cross stitch, but switched to paper crafts when my eyes got worse. I have so many kits I'd like to make at some point, though!)

I have seen "drawing apps", "learn cartooning" and others of that nature available too. So if you take your time to do some hunting and research, there may be "pick your own colour" apps out there, where you are supplied with a limited number of "coloured pen" choices but can put what you want where you want. Maybe look for "illustration" or "chart-your-own cross-stitch" or something. I haven't got that adventurous yet.

I DO know (but haven't tried yet) that you can have the cross-stitch app make an original project-picture from your own digital image you point them to. PERHAPS(?) you can specify how many shades they should keep the colours to (more than the default 32 but not EVERY MINOR pixel by pixel variation, particularly in shaddows or skin-tones), and "what size/ level of detail"? I do know the pre-planned "kit images" go up to "super-sized" in some cases. Haven't looked at any Large or Supersize, so I don't know if they have more shades.

That would be the closest I already know about to "sorta counted cross-stitch" in that YOU supply the original image and therefore affect the colour-family to work with. (maybe scan and convert some traditional-coloured-yourself images you have already done?)

I am finding more favour with the cross-stitch app right now. Less "colour-by-number" coloring-book feel to the pictures. And honestly .... sometimes the degree of shading is just tooooooooo fine and some of those 85 colours COULD have been the same colour-number.

And the cross-stitching is helping as a terrific brain trainer (especially when working in 3x magnification) with reinforcing the metaphor that "If you just trust the process, and put what they ask for where they ask for it ... even though it seems odd to have just one square of that colour in the middle of nowhere ... the big picture takes care of itself."
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your messages, weigh-ins and commitments. I like @BMcC9 's detailed goal-setting. I see on several other teams that people set this kind of goal and report in briefly every day on how it is going. Daily can be a challenge, especially in summer, but checking in and keeping each other on task can be helpful with sticking to those small but really helpful goals. Losing your pledged # of pounds for the month will be easier to attain with a some daily goals to make sure that the end of the month isn't a disappointment.

So good to see you back in the game @zlauerMom ! You're back on the wagon now, hitting the ground running with 5 pounds to lose this month. You lost 5 pounds in June, so I think you maybe dipped a toe off the wagon, and you can do it again for sure. Do you want to stick with Mondays for weigh-in? If not, it is easy enough to change...

@juliemargaretkim - great to see you too! Question for you: do you want to pledge the 10 pounds loss from today's weigh-in or from your starting weight for the month? I would suggest from today's weight. Tally ho!

@SueSueDio - I agree that calories are the most important consideration, even if the balance of those calories among various types of food have an influence on how we feel or digest. The best way to influence metabolism (which is most importantly the # of calories you burn at rest) is to grow more muscle. So adding to the calories in-calories out some kind of exercise that increases muscle, and it goes even better.

The green month pledges are all recorded - anyone can jump in any time, though. Step team additions, anyone?

@Perla4686 - good job getting back to C25K! You go go go!
    @evangsimmons170 - you are making me blush. <3
    @fourathomej - hope your trip to the aviation museum was lovely and that the sun came out again! My daughter (in Wainwright) has been surprised by the rain lately too. But it got her out of PT one morning! The sarge didn't want to run in the mud...

I'm not doing well on exercise today, so please BUG THE HECK OUT OF ME tomorrow. Really. I have to sweat on purpose.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

So I lost the bulk of my weight well after age 55, and maintain fairly well now into 65+.

Omg @jugar I had no idea you were over 65! That is way cool! For some reason, I pictured you as 30 something. You're writing is always so upbeat. No I'm not in any way implying that seniors are boring or dull. I just had no idea. Thanks to you and the rest of our seniors on the team for reminding us 50 somethings that age ain't nothing but a numba!!!! I'm definitely inspired by you!

You got that right....59 here!!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »

So I lost the bulk of my weight well after age 55, and maintain fairly well now into 65+.

Omg @jugar I had no idea you were over 65! That is way cool! For some reason, I pictured you as 30 something. You're writing is always so upbeat. No I'm not in any way implying that seniors are boring or dull. I just had no idea. Thanks to you and the rest of our seniors on the team for reminding us 50 somethings that age ain't nothing but a numba!!!! I'm definitely inspired by you!

Way to go, @leni1us :smiley: I'll be 51 this year, and I'm lovin' it!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    55 here. Played 90 minutes of doubles tennis tonight. Hip was feeling it. But glad to get out there and play. I also won a small bottle of Prosecco. It’s fun tennis 🎾.
  • martinesther88
    martinesther88 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Steps 7/1~10,697
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Finally got my head back in the zone, I hope! Did C25K week 5 run 1 today after a week's break. It was challenging but do-able and felt good.
    Welcome all newbies to this amazing team! Good luck!
    Finally got my head back in the zone, I hope! Did C25K week 5 run 1 today after a week's break. It was challenging but do-able and felt good.

@Perla4686 Do you stick to the 3x a week routine for C25K, or do you do something different? Just wondering.

Good job girls.

I’m currently headed out for week 3 day 3. For week 3 finished early third week as I have a little mini surgery tomorrow. Not sure when I. An start my jogging again after tomorrow. So far week 3 has been a piece of cake. I stick to the 3 day a week program but on other days I’ll add in a short jog here and there.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Username @evangsimmons170
    6/30/19
    Exercise minutes = 68
    Steps = 11,321
    Water (in oz) = 70

7/1/19
    Exercise minutes = 123
    Steps = 14,664
    Water (in oz) = 40
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »

Way to go, @leni1us :smiley: I'll be 51 this year, and I'm lovin' it!

Me too! I'll be 51 in December. I also had a younger version of @jugar playing in my mind's eye. Just goes to show you that bodies may age but spirits don't have to.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Perla4686 Do you stick to the 3x a week routine for C25K, or do you do something different? Just wondering.

Good job girls.

I’m currently headed out for week 3 day 3. For week 3 finished early third week as I have a little mini surgery tomorrow. Not sure when I. An start my jogging again after tomorrow. So far week 3 has been a piece of cake. I stick to the 3 day a week program but on other days I’ll add in a short jog here and there.
    Good to hear you all are making progress. @Perla4686 I used to run a lot but I never could do two days in a row without regretting it. So I have always stuck with 3x a week.

I had planned to do the None to Run program. I had done C25K years ago but thought None2Run was gentler. It is, but I still managed to hurt my calf a couple of weeks in and I'm having trouble getting going. Every time I try it my calf will call foul before too long.
    I've resorted to walking. I'm up to 4 miles three days a week. And I'm doing fascia exercises and mobility exercises. Right now the calf is pain free, but I'm going to give it more time. I figure just because it doesn't actively hurt doesn't mean it is ready to rumble.

When I step back and think about it, I know where I went wrong. Before I joined this group in June I was averaging about 6,000 steps a day. I was lucky to hit 10,000 once a week. Since I've been checking in here I usually get 10,000 steps and I'm averaging around 11,000 steps a day now. So I doubled my daily step count and started running at the same time. It isn't so surprising that my body got annoyed with me.

I do hope to get to run again though. I enjoyed it. Ideally I'd like to do run/walk intervals. I don't really care if I can run for 30 minutes straight. I'd be happy with maybe run 5 min. / walk 1 min. or 4/1 cause it is easier to follow on my watch. I'll get there, sooner or later.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I try to stick to 3x per week, but as you can see, not always successfully. I'm open to repeat some of the runs if they progress too fast but at the moment, I'm liking the pace.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I try to stick to 3x per week, but as you can see, not always successfully. I'm open to repeat some of the runs if they progress too fast but at the moment, I'm liking the pace.

And just to add, my 3 days aren't always spaced out evenly, sometimes I run 3 days in a row if I know I won't have any other time that week. I wish I enjoyed strength training as I know how important it is, but I find any cardio so much more fun. Can't motivate myself to do any strength.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I'm not doing well on exercise today, so please BUG THE HECK OUT OF ME tomorrow. Really. I have to sweat on purpose.

As per yesterday (above) .... how's the "sweat on PURPOSE" going so far today? :D
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9 Steps so far:
    June 30: 13,448
    July 1: 14,720
  • BMcC9
    Options
    And just to add, my 3 days aren't always spaced out evenly, sometimes I run 3 days in a row if I know I won't have any other time that week. I wish I enjoyed strength training as I know how important it is, but I find any cardio so much more fun. Can't motivate myself to do any strength.

I have that same "strength block" as well. Trying to re-establish bike HIIT time (5 minutes at a shot) habit to make a better body composition ratio .... only doing the cardio "jogging on mini-trampoline" plus NEATs like after-supper walks with hubby or to store or such-like are great for the step-count, but not so much for the muscle creation/retention. Not that the bike HIIT would do anything in particular for the (waaaaayyyyyyy under-developed) upper body strength at ALLL ......
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    So I am pledging:
    • a minimum 100 game-calorie burn (~ 35 minutes / 4.5 to 5 thou steps) IN GAME CONTEXT Intentional Exercise regardless of how many other steps from "non-intentional sources" like walking with friend for her cardio-rehab, or to/from store for one or two items etc.
    • And try to keep those non-intentional steps boosted too.
    • And not letting the fitbit "count bike pedaling towards daily step total"
    • And using a timer when doing the colouring to prompt 5 minute Bike HIIT sessions once an hour ... and DO include them in the MFP Exercise log
    • And keeping the food logging complete (and actually IN the diary .... )

You-all are allowed to bug me about "How many bike sessions did you get in yesterday .... HHMMMM?????"

July 1 report (repeatable style of format not designed yet, but here we go ... )
    N/B NOT a workday in Canada.
    • MORE than minimum game-calories burned / entered in the Exercise log. Ended one "game profile" - 124 cals / started new "game profile" - 98 cals.
    • also had after-supper walk with hubby so total steps for the day: 14,720
    • no biking so N/A
    • only did 1 one-hour set of cross-stitch, so didn't do the "colour / bike / colour more" thing
    • Food log complete and in excellent form (not starting day before noon helps keep down the intake ... :D )

I AM in the office today - and going to a bbq at bro's to see out-of-town relatives right after work. So SLIGHTLY a-typical (for a work-day) - will still try to get full and accurate food log in regardless (breaky / lunch / pm snack already written out and ready to log; bbq burgs and hotdogs will be on the menu; don't know yet about "dessert choices" that might be available, but hosts are not typically huge sticky-sweet dessert eaters .... ) - should still be able to get short gaming-jog in late this evening (20 mins minimum) but NEAT-steps will probably suffer today.
This discussion has been closed.