Steps: over
    Martial Arts: Yes! Yay!

Wednesday Plans/Goals/Improvements
    Calories: on target, all healthy choices/on plan
    Water: on plan or over
    Exercise: martial arts class
    Steps: at least 7500
    Martial Arts: at least 2 minutes
    Other: work on home office decluttering!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Day - Tuesday
    Username - bethanie0825
    Previous - 232.6
    Current - 235

:| Okay, my peeps who have been on this journey longer....please tell me that if I keep up eating at a deficit, not eating back my exercise calories, and moving, that this scale will budge??? This week was discouraging.

I know how frustrating it can be to be doing everything you think is right and still not see the scale budge. I've struggled with that most of my life. Have you tried changing up the foods you eat? I know for me, I finally figured out that when I eat too many carbs my weight stalls or goes up. Like it did these last couple of weeks because I have been eating way more carbs than normal. I highly recommend Dr. Jason Fung's book the Obesity Code. It was truly eye-opening on how calories in vs. calories out are not always the best solution. My best advice is to keep on tweaking until you find what works for you. Just NEVER give up!! :)

I'll second what @TeresaW1020 says -- never give up!

And I am so sorry you are feeling discouraged. 👐

Zipping up this reply, as it is long. I am so wordy!
    Running at a calorie deficit does matter, so maybe take a look at that as a start.
    How carefully are you tracking?
    Are you using a food scale whenever possible, since weight is a more accurate measure than volume? ⚖️
    Are you bring careful to pick the best possible entries in the MFP database?

Calorie counts for exercise can be way off. If the source for that number is the machine at the gym, it's really, really rough. As @Kres567 says, lots of people don't eat back all of those.

So, one thing that has helped me a lot is to regard the enterprise of losing weight as a science experiment. I tried making changes, and then used tracking and watched the data to see what worked for my particular body, biome, genetics, etc. 🥼 🧪

Here's a link to a TED Talk I found super inspiring. The speaker talks about a study his team did on 1,000 people that had them see and document very different responses to the same food by different people. Fascinating!
    What is the best diet for humans? | Eran Segal | TEDxRuppin

I have had to pay careful attention to what I ate as well as how much. You cannot get away from the importance of a deficit, but I also found that when it came to losing weight, I was sensitive to some foods. What works for me is certainly peculiar to my body, biome and genetics, but the "science experiment" part might be a place to start. Try something. Pay attention to the results over several weeks and see what looks to be effective.

Fasting window: Some people get great results with Intermittent Fasting, by simply extending the window of time each day in which they are not eating. Nephrologist Dr. Jason Fung has written (The Obesity Code) and spoken (quite a few videos on YouTube, like this one) about this quite a bit. (I do this, aiming for a 13-14 hour fasting window each day.)

Macros: Some people do well with being careful about the balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, like the Zone Diet (40-30-30 - I lost weight doing a vegan version of this, but eventually shifted my focus). Some people do really well if they cut carbohydrates way down using a Keto Diet.

TL;DR Whatever you do, don't quit! But maybe track carefully if you are not already doing so, study and try experimenting with some things, to see if you can figure out what works for your body/biome/genetics. If you are stuck, it means you haven't found the way yet, not that there is no way!

• AustinRuadhain
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Suggested Team Challenge - Share an Idea About Weight Loss Plateaus

Have you faced a plateau in your weight loss? If so, what kinds of things did you try?
    Note that all ideas here are of interest, since what did not work for you might work for others!

iyc9avj671af.png
  • broncobuddee
    broncobuddee Posts: 372 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Day - Tuesday
    Username - bethanie0825
    Previous - 232.6
    Current - 235

:| Okay, my peeps who have been on this journey longer....please tell me that if I keep up eating at a deficit, not eating back my exercise calories, and moving, that this scale will budge??? This week was discouraging.

So in 2017 I dropped about 150-160lbs in 11 months. The first five or so months (and then, spoiler, the following six months, but I digress) had losses (or small gains) that were all over the map. But at month five I had a week with a good loss and it was following a week of very average, sustainable eating. I had a meticulous food diary and Fitbit activity data so I decided to do the exact same eating (and activity level) the next week so I could have the exact same loss. I didn't lose anything the second week. Confused, but determined, I tried again for a third week with yet a different result. And then a fourth week with a result that didn't match any of the previous weeks. I stopped trying to predict after that.

The TLDR version is you probably have a "woosh" in your near future if your deficit is accurate and you aren't eating back exercise calories. I didn't know what a "woosh" was at the time, and even after hearing and reading, I was skeptical for a while. But there is little other way to describe the yo-yo look to my spreadsheet.

Keep it up - you've come too far to do otherwise!
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Wednesday (Sept 18)

Track: yes
    Calories: Under
    Exercise: walking and aerobics
    Having a good week. My wife called last night and said she found a really great deal to Cuba and booked it. So Cuba at the end of February. Have a blessed
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @notsolazylisa - Hang in there! 👐👐 :persevere::sweat_smile:

@KMD1214 - Woohoo! Excellent weigh-in! Congratulations! 🎉

@digger61 - What a great day! And it sounds like you got in plenty of exercise! :+1:
    So glad you are having a great week! The news about going to Cuba is super exciting! :smiley:
    Does this mean you get to spend extra time listening to Cuban music? :wink:

@sunshineplace - What a great day! I love your step by step approach! So glad you are back! Your sunny presence is such a plus! 👣 :sunglasses::wink:
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Thursday 9/19 checkin
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 204.2
    Todays Weight:

Yesterday
    Calories: over/under? Under
    Water: over/under? Over
    Macro/micros : sugar and sodium high/all rest in good range
    Exercise: stretching

Goals or Improvements for today:
    Meet step goal
    Lots of water

This past week I can’t seem to meet my step goals or get to gym. I need to step it up!

• AustinRuadhain
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Wednesday Check-in
    Water: on target
    Exercise: martial arts class
    Steps: under (broke my streak! arg!)
    Decluttering: a little

Thursday Plans/Goals/Improvements
    Exercise: platform stepping
    Steps: at least 7500 (starting a new streak today)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,670 Member
    Options
    Thursday check-in
    Calories under
    Water over
    Exercise recumbent bike

Plan for today is weights and elliptical at gym, recumbent bike tonight.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Thursday Check-In
    Calories: over because the boss took us out to lunch! B)
    Water: over
    Exercise: nothing :/

Today was a busy workday and then I came home and decided to take time off from all the unpacking and decorating. I did rearrange my laundry room once again. :D I also did do some research on treadmills. I plan to buy a new one in two or three weeks and get back to my normal workout activities.

• sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thursday check in...
    Was my weigh in day and although I am on the cheerleading bench until next month I decided to weigh in anyway. I have gained a five pounds over the summer but it’s not as bad as I thought!

Calories were on plan. Woohoo. I still had a snack before bed but it was watermelon and a few pretzels instead of my usual ice cream cone or cookies.
    Water not sure. Was a busy day so I didn’t pay attention. I notice a huge difference in my tummy bloat if I drink a lot of water.
    Exercise: Half hour cardio/weights work out.
    Overall pretty proud of my day.
    Goals for this weekend is to enjoy my extra WW points but to stay within my allotted points. Weekends are always a challenge.

@AustinRuadhain you always inspire. Thank you.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Thursday Check-in
    Calories: slightly over (under 100 cal), not stressing as I was way under the day before; all healthy choices/on plan
    Exercise: outdoor walk (45 min) + platform stepping (120 min); extra happy about the walking as it was loops around the rec center while son was in a class
    Steps: over (day 1 of new streak)
    Decluttering: didn't happen

Friday Plans/Goals/Improvements
    Exercise: platform stepping
    Steps: at least 7500 (will make this day 2 of new streak)
  • davors19
    davors19 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Fri
    Previous Weight: 277
    Today's Weight: 277
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    @kres567 -
    I have followed the ZONE Diet (40-30-30). I started 2018 by giving up sugar and baked goods and going vegan. I felt a lot better, but did not lose weight. Once I added on doing the ZONE Diet (vegan version, still no sugar or baked goods), I lost weight slowly and steadily over several months. I was also tracking all my food on MFP and making sure to eat a deficit. (I eventually tried a change in my eating plan, and found something that worked even better for me.)

Your mileage may vary! It's all a science experiment, as we work to figure out what is effective for our particular body.

Oh, and if you want some veggie recipes, ping me offline and I'll be happy to share ideas.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @mrmcgrath, Wahhoooo on that fantastic weight loss!! Did you do anything different to get such a great result? :)

@davors19, staying the same is NOT a bad thing! Our bodies often need to adjust so just keep on working your plan. :)

@Kres567, what do you need from us? Should we do a no sugar challenge for the rest of the month? I mean a NO sugar cold turkey challenge until October 1st. If you're in then I will join you. I will even get rid of my cinnamon Ice Breakers, which have become an addiction and at 1 carb gram each it's not good that I eat like 10 a day. :o:/

Friday Check-In
    Calories: under
    Exercise: getting my exercise room ready and unpacking several boxes.

My plan for this weekend is to work in my house and help hubby put together this really cool metal and wood hall tree we bought from Wayfair. I do love me some Wayfair!! <3 I also just found out that I'm teaching children's church this Sunday and I don't have one thing prepared. Good thing I'm soooo nice!! o:)
This discussion has been closed.