WAISTAWAYS DECEMBER CHAT

Replies

• Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    @jugar you are right, going all out for 30 seconds definitely empties the tanks for me right now. And the latest literature seems to say that the way to get the max benefit out of exercising for short periods is to empty the tank on each interval. Hopefully I can gradually lengthen, but if not it will be a good way to get a boost!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    @evangsimmons170

12/8/19......9,547 steps, 85 oz of water, and a 22 minute interval walk on the treadmill (with inclines) before church yesterday. I surprised myself yesterday by going to the gym on a Sunday. My Sundays are usually packed with church activities, but I made the time to go and was still able to keep my church commitments for the day.

I was absolutely amazed at how good I felt after my short walk! The endorphins kicked in for sure!

Gotta run. I'm sitting in the parking lot of my gym now. I'd better go in before I talk myself out of it. Ttyl 😄
  • Andreabroadley
    Great steps everyone!

I have been doing some pretty basic HIIT on my bike just 30 second all out and 30 seconds recovery for 10 mins. With a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. Did it three times this week.

My husband is now doing it as well. The cardiac rehab group he is in has told him it will improve his heart (although he is not allowed to get his HR above 100 yet).

My weight is up a bit this week.. +0.6 pounds. Yuck. Tis the season.

Luckily I am on the cheer squad! LOL.

Have a great week. I will try to post more often. I am in the middle of a project right now which is consuming me.

All the best.

I hope your husband gets well soon, @Andreabroadley .

Thanks so much. Wow he has come amazingly far since heart attack in June. Has lost 25 pounds and is at normal BMI (I wish). His VO2 max has gone up dramatically in the last few months, still not as high as mine, but I think he will get there.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday

PW: 132.7
    CW: 133.9

Well all incision are healing well. Started new meds for the edema along with compression stockings, yay me. lol

• Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Steps. I think I owe you the following :

12/7:12035
    12/8: 12996
    12/9:12200

• Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member

Snowing here in Memphis today. That probably means That tomorrow I have a late start for work. Yay!!!!

I had popcorn and candy after supper last night. Wasn’t hungry. This lead me to the below thoughts this morning. I hope you enjoy....

I am Trying to make better choices & experimenting.... I found out that eating super clean for 1-2 days helps me lose bloat, water weight and makes for a good BM thus= lost weight. And I’m very joyful these days.... like walking on air happy.

Also, eating candy/donuts and doing heavy weight lifting. Not only makes my legs super sore, but also doesn’t make me praise my self-talk. It makes me cranky and mad at myself. And I also gain the weight back.

So which would I rather choose?
    Happy of course. The little indulgences that my brain says “I want” I need to ASK MYSELF- will this make me that happy joyful person? Or not? Who would you rather be today???

Peace out, I gotta get to work now.

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,010 Member
    Happy Tuesday!

It is weirdly warm here this morning, but at noon or so, the temps will start dropping 2-3 degrees per hour until it is freezy freezy again. Maybe our snow and lovely winter conditions went to Memphis on vacation!

@AmyRobF ? Are you over there in the corner of this photo? I just know you are!
    7wa8n39q0er6.png

@micki48 yeah, you ate the cookies. Remember the deliciousness and step away now! Go with your niece in your mind. Work out with those firefighters! I'm hoping to have a few of them in my workout space today too... I like the mental ones. They don't make those grimaces and noises like the real men do in the gym :lol:

@reflectionofme - good going on your improvements post-surgery! And there is NOTHING LOL about YAY ME. You are healing, working on that blankety-blank edema, and you will be back in there with the mental firefighters soon!

@Shexio thanks again. Your thoughts are helpful - taking the moments to think ahead to the longer term effect of eating something that might be delicious and feel like a reward is one of the best tools we can pick up when temptation hits. Yes, it is yummy and feels good to eat. No, that feel good part will NOT last. It will sour really fast. One workout song I like talks about the dinner of indulgence being followed by the dessert of regret or something like that - taking 15 seconds to think really through from "yum" to "oh no, I did it again" is more valuable than any 15 seconds you can find. There IS a place for occasional indulgence, but as soon as that is over, use those 15 seconds (or more!) wisely. Thanks for the question. Who would you rather be right now? A good one. Oh, and enjoy the snow! You're welcome.

@Gidgitgoescrazy Your point is great too. Sometimes we need to work on one kind of fitness at a time. Mental fitness, ending the vicious circles of stress and guilt, is just as important as physical fitness. They are interlaced, but it is good to take a time of reflection and not so much action. Good for you to know to do this. Keep on dropping by - your progress is important to everyone on the team. :heart:

Get out there and earn those showers, people! Eat wisely! Wear the tiara!
  • jugar
    Thanks to all of your inspiration, I have earned the shower. AND the tiara. At least so far today...
    8d936s1k6v84.png

I promise I'll look like my clean and delicate self again shortly :grin:

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,356 Member
    My wt has rebounded. At least it's possible to actually go down if really restrict those calories.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Facebook keeps throwing ads at me from this company that pretty much just makes tiaras, and I'm seriously considering making that my Onederland reward. XD

That said, I think I might have to give up on onederland for now and go on a diet break for a few weeks. I'm very stressed and controlling it poorly. When I become very stressed I start getting physical symptoms, like feeling like my throat is closing and gagging on all my food. For the sake of my sanity, I'm considering stopping the calorie counting for a bit and just focusing on eating anything I can reliably swallow.

But. I'm still thinking about it. Undecided.

I am currently a horrible, angry person to everyone around me so will continue to post rarely. But I'm reading, and cheering for you all.
  • Andreabroadley
    thanks so much @micki48. Today I woke up and said to myself that I have to get the eating in better control. So I am using my spreadsheet again. The jury will be out for a few days!!

Royal icing is so delicious though, isn't it?
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    This time of year is so hard for so many people. Knowing you need to take a break from calorie counting is important. So is giving yourself some grace when you attend that once a year Christmas party or get together with friends or family you love.

I once heard at a Weight Watchers meeting that the average person (and Hey, we are NOT average) gains 13 pounds between Halloween and New Year's Day. Not sure if that is still true, but even if we maintain and hold our ground this time of year, we win. So many of you have strong, healthy habits you have developed. Your support here and the motivation you can collect here will help us all get through this season. Happy holidays to everyone!!!! We can do this together.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Facebook keeps throwing ads at me from this company that pretty much just makes tiaras, and I'm seriously considering making that my Onederland reward. XD

That said, I think I might have to give up on onederland for now and go on a diet break for a few weeks. I'm very stressed and controlling it poorly. When I become very stressed I start getting physical symptoms, like feeling like my throat is closing and gagging on all my food. For the sake of my sanity, I'm considering stopping the calorie counting for a bit and just focusing on eating anything I can reliably swallow.

I am currently a horrible, angry person to everyone around me so will continue to post rarely. But I'm reading, and cheering for you all.

@Terytha Do what's best for you, but do you think talking to someone would help you resolve your anger? Doing so may provide you with powerful cathartic moments that may help you see the big picture clearer. Take care of yourself. :smile:
  • Terytha

@Terytha Do what's best for you, but do you think talking to someone would help you resolve your anger? Doing so may provide you with powerful cathartic moments that may help you see the big picture clearer. Take care of yourself. :smile:

Sure, but who? I've tried therapy before but finding a therapist that isn't unhelpful is a time consuming, difficult task. And I'm too angry to be taking on frustrating efforts. :/

I'll be OK. In two more weeks I'll be on vacation and I can just forget the world outside my house exists for a bit.
  • jugar

Two thoughts. If you want to go into the support team for a few weeks, let me know and it will be done. Then you can choose whether or not to weigh in and just relax about it. Taking a break is a great idea if sticking with it is giving you terrible symptoms. Take some deep breaths, think about it, and let me know.
    Second thought - anger gives you strength. Anger can be amazing - but in your thinking, maybe find other ways to get strength. So the people around you don't have to take up running.

Moving towards rewards (like grades or prizes) is sometimes counter-productive. Do things just because they are things that you choose to do, not because you'll get a reward. But of course, a tiara is something anyone can rock. Facebook ads are creepy that way...

And don't forget that we really, really love having you around here.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi All- sorry I’ve been MIA -
    My weigh in -
    PW- 141.0
    CW- 140.5
    Loss - .5

Wrapping up loose ends this week and then will be in Europe for the rest of the month and a bit of January. I’ll stick with the diet throughout my journey. Hopefully I’ll be down when I get back. But so long as I maintain,
    I’ll be happy.
  • Terytha
    jugar wrote: »

Two thoughts. If you want to go into the support team for a few weeks, let me know and it will be done. Then you can choose whether or not to weigh in and just relax about it. Taking a break is a great idea if sticking with it is giving you terrible symptoms. Take some deep breaths, think about it, and let me know.
    Second thought - anger gives you strength. Anger can be amazing - but in your thinking, maybe find other ways to get strength. So the people around you don't have to take up running.

Moving towards rewards (like grades or prizes) is sometimes counter-productive. Do things just because they are things that you choose to do, not because you'll get a reward. But of course, a tiara is something anyone can rock. Facebook ads are creepy that way...

And don't forget that we really, really love having you around here.

I'll be all right. There's always angercize. My trainer has me do this really cathartic exercise where I throw a super heavy ball at the ground as hard as I can. I feel a bit better after doing that today.

I'll think about the support team thing but I want to see how this week goes first. Overall, I consider myself a fairly optimistic person, and there's always time for things to improve.

As far as rewards, I mostly joke about them. My reward is my health and happiness. But tell me this tiara isn't amazing: https://fairytalecreators.com/products/beaming-luxury-sun-stars-crown

:smiley:
  • jugar
    edited December 2019
    OK, @Terytha - that is some tiara!2vyhynptb4o6.png

And angercize is an excellent thing. I'm weirdly into the sustaining ones that just build up the anger, and then it just wears out. You know, those really long planks or hovers, V-sits, super slow pushups... Makes the anger just dissolve in a puddle. I'm not sure why those are a good thing right now - usually I love the slamming and speeding or reps to exhaustion kind of thing. I must be getting older or something. But the only thing that kills the optimism is not doing it at all! Glad to hear you are doing ok. And that tiara is the best.
  • jugar
    Hi All- sorry I’ve been MIA -
    My weigh in -
    PW- 141.0
    CW- 140.5
    Loss - .5

Wrapping up loose ends this week and then will be in Europe for the rest of the month and a bit of January. I’ll stick with the diet throughout my journey. Hopefully I’ll be down when I get back. But so long as I maintain,
    I’ll be happy.

Wow! Where in Europe? Keep us up with the travel reports so we can live vicariously, ok?
This discussion has been closed.