~The Fireplace~

Replies

• starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,677 Member
    and @Dootzy1 I'm with you there on the husband thing! I had a MAJOR heart attack a few years back and ended up with a pacemaker. I'm so thankful my husband stuck by me with all my whining too... and that he could help me wash my hair!!
  • starjam25
    @Moarrein huge gigantic congratulations on paying off your home!! That is definitely something to be thankful for! Isn't that just the greatest thing, after 30 years, you're free!! Great job!
  • starjam25
    @llpumpkinsll I really enjoyed your post about dogs! I so agree with you. I've had dogs since I was 5 years old (and I'm an old retired grandma now, so that's been a long time ago) and many times they've been my best friend and most closest confident. I absolutely can not imagine not having one, so thanks for reminding me to be thankful for my furry friend, Quincy!
  • starjam25
    @frazz007 We just drove over the Grapevine and just missed all that nasty cold snow! I'm so sorry that your family couldn't make it, but sure glad they didn't try to drive over it! So with all those leftovers, keep up those Quidditch match points!!
  • starjam25
    I just got done posting the points for this weeks Room of Requirement, asking students to post something they are thankful for. I really enjoyed reading them all and just have to say, thank you to everyone, and I'm so thankful that you all are here with me on this journey to good health.
  • chdspdmom
    chdspdmom Posts: 177 Member
    starjam25 wrote: »
    @chdspdmom I was just adding the points for the RofR and see you watch 9-1-1. I really enjoy that show! We have Hulu and I have a few episodes to watch. Can't wait to see what happens to Buck..... Is he still in or not???

I am not going to spoil it for you @starjam25 but it is a struggle for everyone this season. My son was on blood thinners like Buck for years and let me say this, it was dangerous sometimes to walk to the loo, running in to burning houses would be like running for death. A bit unrealistic there from health point of view. But overall it is a great show. Will need to look for similar soon as I have cought up with this.
  • Moarrein
    Moarrein Posts: 3,084 Member
    @SarahAnaruk, I'm almost done with the Christmas shopping. Have some presents left to order online for friends abroad, and to make the ones that are supposed to be handmade. I also have to chose a present for hubby's birthday, which is on 30.12.

@bdbchick, I really want to give my Secret Santa something handmade or at least with a personal touch. I have several ideas and have ordered some materials so we'll see how I handle it in several days ;)

@starjam25, thanks! It really is a huge thing. And it is even more terrific that we managed to do it 10 years earlier, thanks to hubby's hard work.

How did everyone's Thanksgiving was? We don't have this holiday on Europe, so I'm curious :p

We opened the holiday season yesterday by decorating the Christmas tree and baking some Christmas cookies. I love experimenting so I made them with stevia mostly. I also made some of them salty instead of sweet and they were the best! I'm definitely making those for Christmas again ;-)
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,212 Member
    I have got to start checking in more. A little too much on my plate...but I hate coming in and I've missed so much...lol

Will try hard to at least pop in every couple days.
    The whole house has been sick for the past few days. I can't remember the last time I had a cold...so I'm being a baby. Didn't move from the couch must yesterday - Day Off - Thank heaven, I was soooo exhausted. Still can't breathe today but have to get to work. Fell behind a bit because was sick on Monday and left early!

• SarahAnaruk
    SarahAnaruk Posts: 1,138 Member
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    I'm almost done with Christmas shopping. Just need to get a few more things for my husband and daughter, but everyone else in our extended family is finished.

Saw a small loss, which pleased me considering I'm on that time of the month and ate all the things on Thanksgiving. But, I agree, this was a terrible week to start quidditch! :D

That's awesome! You are so on top of it!! Great job on the loss! Thanksgiving can be a rough one. All the yummy food!!
  • SarahAnaruk
    starjam25 wrote: »
    Anyone finished with their Christmas shopping? I feel I have a good start on it this year but still quite a ways to go. Hubby is totally a wait until the last second person and I am the buy ahead and forget what I bought kind of person. Lol

@Sarahanaruk I got my first gift on Amazon from black Friday! And I must say, it was a pretty decent deal. Other then that, I have no idea what to get for everyone!

My husband keeps asking me what I want and I have no ideaeven what I want!

I love when I can get a good deal! Lol, I have no idea what I want either!! I don't really NEED anything, which I am extremely grateful/thankful for, but it makes gift ideas tough.
  • SarahAnaruk
    Moarrein wrote: »
    @SarahAnaruk, I'm almost done with the Christmas shopping. Have some presents left to order online for friends abroad, and to make the ones that are supposed to be handmade. I also have to chose a present for hubby's birthday, which is on 30.12.

@bdbchick, I really want to give my Secret Santa something handmade or at least with a personal touch. I have several ideas and have ordered some materials so we'll see how I handle it in several days ;)

@starjam25, thanks! It really is a huge thing. And it is even more terrific that we managed to do it 10 years earlier, thanks to hubby's hard work.

How did everyone's Thanksgiving was? We don't have this holiday on Europe, so I'm curious :p

We opened the holiday season yesterday by decorating the Christmas tree and baking some Christmas cookies. I love experimenting so I made them with stevia mostly. I also made some of them salty instead of sweet and they were the best! I'm definitely making those for Christmas again ;-)

I love homemade gifts!! They are the best! What kind of crafty stuff do you make?

Thanksgiving was good! A traditional Thanksgiving here usually consists of way way too much food, since it's a harvest celebration. Traditionally there is turkey with stuffing (bread stuffing is traditional if you live in the North, cornbread stuffing if you live to the South- people can get pretty worked up over stuffing lol). Lots of sides. In our house we usually have green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade cranberry sauce (some people prefer jellied- which is like jelly made from cranberries, and others prefer chunky so whole cranberries left in, more like a jam), buns, and glazed carrots. Then of course there are appetizers (usual veggie platter, meat and cheese tray, BBQ weenies, deviled eggs, etc). And desserts. Pumpkin pie, and pumpkin flavored desserts are very traditional but other pies are pretty normal too. Egg nog is a must for us too. And you basically have a huge meal and eat leftovers the rest of the week. Lol. The tradition comes from a meal the Native Americans and the Pilgrims shared after the first bountiful harvest. It wasn't made into a national holiday until Abraham Lincoln was president because a woman who published recipes common to ladies magazines (and consequently several cookbooks for the holiday afterwards) petitioned the president to make it a holiday as a means of promoting cooperation and union during the Civil War (in simple terms the battle between the north and south over slavery- and the almost split of our country). So, probably way more than you wanted to know! Lol. And anyone who celebrates differently, or sees an error in my generalizations feel free to add or correct!
    I love learning about different traditions and cultures and trying traditional foods (within reason). If you want to try a Thanksgiving meal I'd be happy to send you a meal plan and any recipes I traditionally use.
    Do you have any major holidays that are more for your respective country? How do you celebrate those? Or holiday customs? I absolutely love traditions.
  • Moarrein
    Moarrein Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited December 2019
    @SarahAnaruk, thanks for all that info. I also love learning about traditions. All i know about Thanksgiving is from the movies ;)
    We have many national holidays in Bulgaria. For example today we celebrate St. Nicolas' Day, protector of fishermen and bankers. We usually have stuffed carp or any kind of fish ;) Another popular holiday is St. George's day, when we usually make lamb on fire and rice with liver. Another interesting holiday is March 1. We give each other bracelets and brooches, that are made from red and white yarn. We call them martenitsas and everyone is wearing at least one.

About the handmade things, I love to knit bracelets and decorate glasses, mugs and clothes. I love making gifts that are more personal. But I don't have many people around me that appreciate them.
  • SarahAnaruk
    Moarrein wrote: »
    @SarahAnaruk, thanks for all that info. I also love learning about traditions. All i know about Thanksgiving is from the movies ;)
    We have many national holidays in Bulgaria. For example today we celebrate St. Nicolas' Day, protector of fishermen and bankers. We usually have stuffed carp or any kind of fish ;) Another popular holiday is St. George's day, when we usually make lamb on fire and rice with liver. Another interesting holiday is March 1. We give each other bracelets and brooches, that are made from red and white yarn. We call them martenitsas and everyone is wearing at least one.

About the handmade things, I love to knit bracelets and decorate glasses, mugs and clothes. I love making gifts that are more personal. But I don't have many people around me that appreciate them.

Oh man! That's too bad that they don't appreciate them!! They are the most thoughtful gifts in my opinion.

Thank you for all those traditions!! I didn't know about any of them! What do you usually stuff the fish with? And what is lamb on fire? Or what is the fire part of that? I have some leftover liver in the freezer from when we processed our pigs, I might have to try this rice and liver! I love the March 1st thing! I will have to look more up on that!
  • starjam25
    @rbratt06 Way to go!! And that's a really awesome loss, Congratulations!
  • SarahAnaruk
    @rbratt06 That is awesome!! Way to go!!
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    edited December 2019
    I hung out with the bestie and she took some cosplay pics of me annnnd here they are

(My fav holiday themed anime con is THIS WEEK!! I head out on thursday morning so this weekend was the final "practice")

I'd also like to note the little girl in some of the pics is Charlotte who is my bestie Liz's kid... She's almost 4... definitely shows just how short I am.
    34fu1f1djzom.jpg
    2gdhq43ft5bt.jpg
    a5on5hiu2z6g.jpg
    olu34w9kwkxt.jpg
    ow25l6nj0i65.jpg
    lb6atgdbjavw.jpg
    57cdk0cdh1b1.jpg
    inl0x3wn6inq.jpg
    jjcy4w80hrbh.jpg
  • SarahAnaruk
    @bdbchick awesome outfits!! I don't know much about cosplay but it looks like a lot of fun!! Lol, that's about where my four year old stands next to me too!!
  • bdbchick
    @bdbchick awesome outfits!! I don't know much about cosplay but it looks like a lot of fun!! Lol, that's about where my four year old stands next to me too!!

Shorties unite!
  • bdbchick
    edited December 2019
    ***As a quick reminder I am going out of town tomorrow (12-12-19) morning and coming back late sunday (12-15-19) night. Since the hotel I will be at has not-so-great-phone service/wifi sometimes and I'll be busy make sure to give me some extra time to answer DADA questions :). I will be available but it may take me longer than normal. Thank you :) ***