Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    January 2
    Exercised?: Yes (6 km walk in 46 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Late walk, so decided to go a slightly longer route. Still kept up a reasonable pace.

Up and down day for daughter today. Still a day by day proposition, thankful not a really down day.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @metubal, it looks like Ashley has assigned you to The Slimsons. Here's their thread for January:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10777094/team-the-slimsons-january#latest
    We absolutely wish you the best in the challenge and hope that you see low numbers on your A1C!! I homeschooled both of my boys all the way through (20 years in all) and loved almost every minute of it! LOL! They are both doing well in their careers and are great young men, who we are so proud of. The best to you in your homeschool in 2020!

Welcome to the family, @kaj848! :heart: We look forward to encouraging you along in your success in 2020! We're glad you're here!!

Please welcome our newest member, @66Pinkie. Please take a moment to introduce yourself to our family. We're here for you!! :heart:
  • glouis4
    glouis4 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Gage, and this is my third month with this great group. I have enjoyed being with this warm and supportive collection of people, and I believe newcomers will love it here.

Happy New Year, all. I am ready for this January challenge. On Jan 17th of last year, I weighed in at 177lbs. It was originally my ambitious goal to reach that by that day; however, realistically I would settle for 182lbs.

While I hate to get caught up with the numbers, and not have any other goals, I’ve been experiencing somewhat of a goal overload from hearing everyone’s resolutions and goals over the holidays >.< to the point where I got confused of what to set for myself

So that’s all for now. Looking forward to this month with you all!
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    January wk1
    SW: 175
    GW: 135

Hi All,
    I am psyched to begin this challenge. About two year agos I did it for about 6 months and it really helped. Unfortunately my weight creeped up again and though not quite as high as it was it is still too high!

I made the mistake last time of setting a goal to get to a certain weight by my nieces wedding. I looked good for the big day but of course stopped dieting thinking I could just maintain without weighing in all the time. Ha!

I am 58 years old and my weight has fluctuated greatly throughout my life. I was 125-135 pre-kids (I have 3) and after kids I have fluctuated between 130 and 212! At one point I had size 4 and size 20 in my closet at the same time.

As I get older, however, I get wiser and now have realized that the only way I will ever get my weight stable is to weigh in every single day. I started doing this on a daily WI thread but stopped posting my weight before the holidays. I did, however WI and gained 6lbs (with my eyes wide open at least)!

Going forward my goal is to continue to WI and post daily on the daily thread, and weekly here. I also want to post the answers to these questions at the end of each day!
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

I have a question, if we post here on Saturdays I would like to change my WI to Saturday. Is this ok? Also, I posted my SW as 175 which it was on 12/31 but on 1/1 is was actually 176. LMK if you changed it or not - either way is fine.

Good luck team!
  • Cspdb3
    Cspdb3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    My name is Diana and been with this group since September. It’s been great having this community to look to for inspiration or guidance.
    I’ve found that posting daily ( at least trying to) to the thread exercise, under calories and tracking all foods and drinks very helpful.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 - New Year - New Beginnings!
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 50 min brisk walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    @metubal, it looks like Ashley has assigned you to The Slimsons. Here's their thread for January:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10777094/team-the-slimsons-january#latest
    We absolutely wish you the best in the challenge and hope that you see low numbers on your A1C!! I homeschooled both of my boys all the way through (20 years in all) and loved almost every minute of it! LOL! They are both doing well in their careers and are great young men, who we are so proud of. The best to you in your homeschool in 2020!

@BonnieHosk85. I re-assigned @metubal to Gutbusters. She had been in Gutbusters before and is returning after a long absence.

Happy to have her along (again).
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    End of day checkin
    Did I exercise for at least 30 minutes? - Yes, 30 min swim
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? - yes, with exercise calories to spare
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? - yes on eating, no on waters - tomorrow:)
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 so when I am doing my weigh in for the first week then it is my current weight right? What I actually weigh on Saturday? Not my preweight prior to starting the challenge right? I know when we first said we wanted to start the challenge we gave our weight then. I'm just making sure I do it right plus @BonnieHosk85 mentioned a longer acting challenge, I think it's the ultimate accountability challenge and I was wanting to know about how to enter in that as well?
  • craigo3154
    Options
    @craigo3154 so when I am doing my weigh in for the first week then it is my current weight right? What I actually weigh on Saturday? Not my preweight prior to starting the challenge right? I know when we first said we wanted to start the challenge we gave our weight then. I'm just making sure I do it right plus @BonnieHosk85 mentioned a longer acting challenge, I think it's the ultimate accountability challenge and I was wanting to know about how to enter in that as well?

@SillyCat1975. TBL weeks run Sunday to Saturday. Starting weights are posted up until Sat Jan 4. First week weights are posted from Sun Jan 5 to Sun Jan 11.

If your nominated weigh in day is Saturday.
    - Starting weight for Jan is posted Sat Jan 4
    - Week 1 weight for Jan is posted Sat Jan 11

If your nominated weigh in day is Sunday.
    - Starting weight for Jan is posted Sun Dec 29
    - Week 1 weight for Jan is posted Sun Jan 5

UAC is a completely different challenge. It is in group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/134997-ultimate-accountability-challenge-january-2020. UAC does not have weigh in's, but asks you to report in each day with 3 things (have you done 20 mins activity, have you tracked all you drank and ate, did you stay within your own defined calorie budget).

To join UAC, just visit and join the group. Then post your daily report in the days UAC thread.

UAC principles are likely the best to both lose weight and maintain weight as they build habits that can serve you for a lifetime.

A few members of Gutbusters (like Bonnie and myself) are members of both TBL and UAC. I post copy of my UAC summary here every day. This is to keep me honest and show that I practice what I preach.

In 2017, I lost over 50 lbs using the UAC principles (started at 201 lbs). I went from borderline obese to middle of normal BMI. I have comfortably maintained normal BMI ever since because of the UAC habits.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    I have a question, if we post here on Saturdays I would like to change my WI to Saturday. Is this ok? Also, I posted my SW as 175 which it was on 12/31 but on 1/1 is was actually 176. LMK if you changed it or not - either way is fine.

@lacatgirl, I've let Ashley know. Thanks! Your closet sounds like mine, but not quite anything that small. What I'm doing this time through is giving the clothes away when they are too big.

@craigo3154, great! Welcome to the family, @metubal!!

Also, please welcome our newest members to the Gutbusters team ... @abigail659 and @33sandy1123! We look forward to having you in our fit family and getting to know you better. Please post an introduction when you have a moment!!

• kiadams317750
    kiadams317750 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kiadams317750
    Exercised: yes
    Calories under: yes
    Tracked everything: yes
    Day: made good choices, got enough rest

Started eating kEto, ok so far
  • craigo3154
    Options
    January 3
    Exercised?: Yes (6 km walk in 47 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Late walk on a warm day. Happy to still be under 8 mins per km.

Looking forward to the weekend.
  • flourchild225
    flourchild225 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's my third month in this group and have really enjoyed the accountability.

I'm Betsy and live in the Middle East. I have about 10 more pounds to go until I'm really comfortable.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    January 3
    Exercised? Yes. Workout at the gym. 20 mins Elliptical, 20 mins weight machines, 15 mins treadmill.
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm Janice. My goal weight is about 140 lbs. Initial goal 150.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    @sparklydragons! We're so glad you're here! Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us your goals for January. :heart:
  • AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @sparklydragons! We're so glad you're here! Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us your goals for January. :heart:

Hi! I’m excited to be here too :)
    I think I used to be a part of this challenge a year or two ago but got overwhelmed by my undergrad degree and my mental health so took a very long break. Now I’ve graduated and doing better mentally, I’m determined to make 2020 my year so I’m back and ready to smash my goals.

So some brief info about me: I’m Emily, I’m 22, currently doing a masters in molecular medicine. I’ve been overweight my whole life so I’m determined to make 2020 my year and change that!

I think that my goals for January are just to take it slow and stay accountable. I have a habit of setting unattainable goals for myself and getting really down when I don’t complete them, so I think as long as I have a loss I’ll be happy, no matter how big or small it is <3
  • abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi All! This is my first challenge and I'm excited to join you guys this month! I've been on MFP since 2014 and was successful with losing about 25-lbs (had a goal weight for my 30th bday), but over the last 6 years (wow, can't believe it's been that long! :'( ) I've gained it all back. I want to make healthier choices, get strong and see if I can lose a few lbs.

I'm 36, married, and mom of 2 teenage boys, 2 dogs and 2 siblings who live with me at the moment. My house is crazy, but I guess that's what I'm used to. I'm excited for this year because my job just opened a new onsite gym with free membership and I've been attending Orange Theory 2x/week since April of 2019. I'm hoping I can incorporate more workouts at my work gym to step it up a notch. If I could only get my eating habits down.

abigail59
    SW: 154.2

Let me know if I missed anything. Nice to meet you all! Good luck!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    abigail659 wrote: »
    Hi All! This is my first challenge and I'm excited to join you guys this month! I've been on MFP since 2014 and was successful with losing about 25-lbs (had a goal weight for my 30th bday), but over the last 6 years (wow, can't believe it's been that long! :'( ) I've gained it all back. I want to make healthier choices, get strong and see if I can lose a few lbs.

I'm 36, married, and mom of 2 teenage boys, 2 dogs and 2 siblings who live with me at the moment. My house is crazy, but I guess that's what I'm used to. I'm excited for this year because my job just opened a new onsite gym with free membership and I've been attending Orange Theory 2x/week since April of 2019. I'm hoping I can incorporate more workouts at my work gym to step it up a notch. If I could only get my eating habits down.

abigail59
    SW: 154.2

Let me know if I missed anything. Nice to meet you all! Good luck!

@abigail659. Welcome.

Getting the eating habits sorted is one of the hardest lessons to learn. Normal westernised cuisine is not something that lends itself easily to moderation. That and also most have emotional eating habits from a lifetime to try de-program (celebrate with food, commiserate/console/comfort with food).

For most of us (me included) the satiety mechanism is broken. We basically do not "feel" when enough has been consumed. This is because the mechanism works on fat, protein and fibre. Too much of our normal food is processed to one degree or another, and a lot of this processing removes fibre (helps it keep for longer, give more energy per serving). The problem is that we don't "need" more energy per serve as we usually get enough. The excess is stored for later use (our bodies are great at this).

TBL will help you focus and lose weight.

I HIGHLY recommend UAC as well (you will see more about that in this group). UAC helps build and re-enforce lifetime habits of a little each day. The little each day is what slows/prevents the weight from creeping back on to the degree you end up back where you started.

Hope you have a great month.
This discussion has been closed.