This January I Will....

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My neighbor gave me a huge box of Granny Smith apples so I have decided to add the goal of eating one apple a day this month until they’re gone. Maybe that will become a habit that I can continue all year long.
  • stinabean83
    stinabean83 Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    1. This January I will log every single food and drink i consume
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: log it before I eat/drink it!! If it's not logged, it doesn't go in my mouth
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: consuming=logging
    4. How often will you do your new habit: daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? smile and tell myself that I'm improving myself by doing this
    6. What help do you need from us? accountability and encouragement
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? scale will have gone down and i will have started logging automatically without thinking of it (habit formed!)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,835 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I really am enjoying the sewing, @nebslp, and my granddaughters are so excited about attending the ball in fancy dresses that I'm excited as I take every step in the process. There will also be a ribbon of that trim at the waist, and perhaps more at the hem if I have time.

An apple a day is supposed to keep the doctor away 2nebslp ;)

@stinabean83, @PackerFanInGB, @beautifulblessings83, & @nebslp - daily logging is such an important goal. It really is the only way I can keep my eating under control, and finding MFP was the secret for me. I tried logging on paper and hardly ever kept it up for week. You are reminding me to be grateful for this great tool!

@walk4today, I think the cutting back on sugar is a great idea. My sister was just telling me how she is tracking her sugar for the first time ever and how much better she is feeling.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I agree @77tes about the daily logging. It's amazing what I was counting as a serving size. I ate until I was full, but it wasn't enough. I was faithful to log daily for a year and a half, and I lost 15 pounds. I stopped logging then gained 30. Nice. Here I am logging again...3 off and counting...stay on track everyone! I'm having a little sciatica with the harder walks, but I need to keep stretching and rolling to keep it at bay. The colder weather doesn't help, but I'm determined to see this through. Keep eating those apples @nebslp, even if you have to put a little PB on them. Fiber is our friend! Let's finish the week strong!
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    64oz+ Daily Water Habit
    1/1/20-😁
    1/2/20-😁
    1/3/20-😁
    1/4/20-😁
    1/5/20-😁
    1/6/20-😁
    1/7/20-😁
    1/8/20-😁
    1/9/20-😁
    1/10/20-😁

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    This January, I will have a staged approach to my goals.

Stage 1: Goal 1: CALORIES 😍
    Reason: I need to get used to a lower calorie target per day, I think.

I will focus on keeping my calories under 2,000 for 7 days in a row...

1 ❌ 🥦 3 sweets 2 hi pro bars 2111m
    2 😍. 🍓 2 sweets, 1 bar. 1599mg
    3 😍. 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 1,899mg
    4 😍. 🥦. 1 sweet, 2 hi protein 2152mg
    5 😍 🥕. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 2155 mg
    6 😍 🥗. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 🧂1228
    7 ❌ 🥕. 1 sweet 2,317mg
    8 😍 🥗. 1 large sweet 🧂954
    9 😍 🥕. 1 sweet. 🧂703
    10 😍 🍎. 1 sweet. 1,657mg

Stage 2: Goal 2: Vegetables/Salads/Berries
    Reason: Better health, nutrients, more satisfying meals, fiber... 🥗🥦 🥕 🍓🥒🍅

Eat a minimum of five 3-oz servings of veg/fruit per day. I’ve actually done that each day, so I guess I’ll begin recording this now, but my FOCUS is my calorie goal.

Stage 3: GOAL 3: Decrease Sweets over Time to 1 a day, pre-planned.
    Reason: They creep up in number over time. Look at Jan 1 above!!

Eat no more than one sweet item per day. (82% dark chocolate does not count)
    I haven’t tried this approach before, but I think it will work.

I’m just recording these now...as veggies/salads will be my goal after calorie goal has been met.

ADDED: Reduce salt 🧂 under 1,500
  • leanna_aroha
    leanna_aroha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This January I will:
    1. walk/bike 3 times per week for 20 minutes
    2. complete 3 squat, situp and pushup challenges per week
    3. log my food daily and stick to 80% oms foods and within 200 of calorie for the day
    4. weigh in weekly and aim for 0.5-1kg loss a week

How I will reward myself:
    1. check off each item as I go (love my little checklist)
    2. buy a new pair of walking shoes if I meet 80% of my goals for the month

What will I do if I don't meet one of my goals?
    1. look over past days and remind myself what I have done well
    2. reschedule it to another day and see if I can make up for it then
    3. write down what didn't go well, why and how I can change it for the next day/week
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I managed to just barely hit my water goal yesterday but I did it!I'm really proud of my self for that. It's that special time of the month for me and I drank more wine last night then I did water but I got it in! And I'm just about halfway through with todays.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    This January, I will have a staged approach to my goals.

Stage 1: Goal 1: CALORIES 😍
    Reason: I need to get used to a lower calorie target per day, I think.

I will focus on keeping my calories under 2,000 for 7 days in a row...

1 ❌ 🥦 3 sweets 2 hi pro bars 2111m
    2 😍. 🍓 2 sweets, 1 bar. 1599mg
    3 😍. 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 1,899mg
    4 😍. 🥦. 1 sweet, 2 hi protein 2152mg
    5 😍 🥕. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 2155 mg
    6 😍 🥗. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 🧂💕1228
    7 ❌ 🥕. 1 sweet 2,317mg
    8 😍 🥗. 1 large sweet 🧂💕954
    9 😍 🥕. 1 sweet. 🧂💕703
    10 😍 🍎. 1 sweet. 1,657mg
    11 😍 2. 1 hi pro bar.👍 🧂💕1,091

Stage 2: Goal 2: Vegetables/Salads/Berries
    Reason: Better health, nutrients, more satisfying meals, fiber... 🥗🥦 🥕 🍓🥒🍅

Eat a minimum of five 3-oz servings of veg/fruit per day. I’ve actually done that each day, so I guess I’ll begin recording this now, but my FOCUS is my calorie goal.

Stage 3: GOAL 3: Decrease Sweets over Time to 1 a day, pre-planned.
    Reason: They creep up in number over time. Look at Jan 1 above!!

Eat no more than one sweet item per day. (82% dark chocolate does not count)
    I haven’t tried this approach before, but I think it will work.

I’m just recording these now...as veggies/salads will be my goal after calorie goal has been met.

ADDED: Reduce salt 🧂 under 1,500
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    My neighbor gave me a huge box of Granny Smith apples so I have decided to add the goal of eating one apple a day this month until they’re gone. Maybe that will become a habit that I can continue all year long.

An apple a day is such a great habit to develop, @nebslp!
  • themedalist
    Options
    1. This January I will log every single food and drink i consume
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: log it before I eat/drink it!! If it's not logged, it doesn't go in my mouth
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: consuming=logging
    4. How often will you do your new habit: daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? smile and tell myself that I'm improving myself by doing this
    6. What help do you need from us? accountability and encouragement
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? scale will have gone down and i will have started logging automatically without thinking of it (habit formed!)

You’ve structured your new habit beautifully, @stinabean83. It’s very specific, with a clear cue – routine – reward and you’re not trying to change too many things at once. Well done and welcome to our group!
  • themedalist
    Options
    👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 for staying steady and keeping on with your goals (intended for all of you). Yesterday was not one to cheer about for me. My neighbor brought over a plate of Christmas goodies for my husband and me on Thursday and I scarfed down the last piece before going to bed last night🙄. I also burned less than 2000 calories so the numbers didn’t quite balance out so well (I can be so lazy some days). Oh well, today is a new day and I’m doin much better. Still need to get more activity in soon but the food choices have been stellar😆, well, better than yesterday.
    I’ve been reading my 20 year old journals and see that not much has changed in regard to my goals and frustrations. Are you kidding me?!?! This is THE decade. Apparently my behaviors and perceptions haven’t changed over the years, but it’s never too late to make changes. It takes courage and commitment. I’m a great planner. It’s the execution that kills me🤣. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

I like your honesty and insight, @nebslp. The execution is the hardest part. Knowing and doing are two very different things. If it were easy, we’d all accomplish our goals.

I don’t know if this tactic would work for you or not, But whenever I am confronted unexpectedly with goodies that I know I’ll end up eating, I have a tiny bit and then take it to the kitchen, pour dishwashing soap on it, and discard it in the trash. That may sound harsh and unnecessary, but I’ve learned it’s much easier to eliminate trigger foods than it is to give into them. It’s easier to change my environment, then constantly fight the temptation.

• themedalist
    Options
    I managed to just barely hit my water goal yesterday but I did it!I'm really proud of my self for that. It's that special time of the month for me and I drank more wine last night then I did water but I got it in! And I'm just about halfway through with todays.

Doing great, @HEGoddard0928!

• themedalist
    Options
    This January I will:
    1. walk/bike 3 times per week for 20 minutes
    2. complete 3 squat, situp and pushup challenges per week
    3. log my food daily and stick to 80% oms foods and within 200 of calorie for the day
    4. weigh in weekly and aim for 0.5-1kg loss a week

How I will reward myself:
    1. check off each item as I go (love my little checklist)
    2. buy a new pair of walking shoes if I meet 80% of my goals for the month

What will I do if I don't meet one of my goals?
    1. look over past days and remind myself what I have done well
    2. reschedule it to another day and see if I can make up for it then
    3. write down what didn't go well, why and how I can change it for the next day/week

@leanna_aroha, I know what you mean about checklists. There’s something very satisfying about checking something off our list. You’ve got very specific goals coupled with very specific rewards. That’s great! I also love the fact that you have worked into your January goal a plan to re-evaluate and make changes if you need to change things up. That’s crucial. We can always made adjustments. I’m doing that myself this month. Being flexible is so important. If we are too rigid, we may be tempted to give up entirely.

And welcome to our group! Delighted to have you here!
  • themedalist
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Soooo... I need to modify my goal for this month, which is to have one mindful meal a day. I’ve been averaging about 50%.... not terrible, but I can do better.

The challenge is I eat both breakfast and lunch at work 4 days a week and I eat at my desk while working. Then at night I have dinner with my husband, also not the most conducive to quiet meditative eating. But breakfast is my best shot and whether I’m at home or at work, I can take five minutes for silent reflection while I’m eating. So that’s what I’m going to do. I think by making my goal more specific and by shortening the time requirement to just five minutes, it will be easier to make this happen on a daily basis. I can always lengthen the time later.

Have a great week everyone and please join us for our Move it Monday challenge tomorrow:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10778507/the-2020-move-it-monday-challenge

• nebslp
    Options
    Soooo... I need to modify my goal for this month, which is to have one mindful meal a day. I’ve been averaging about 50%.... not terrible, but I can do better.

The challenge is I eat both breakfast and lunch at work 4 days a week and I eat at my desk while working. Then at night I have dinner with my husband, also not the most conducive to quiet meditative eating. But breakfast is my best shot and whether I’m at home or at work, I can take five minutes for silent reflection while I’m eating. So that’s what I’m going to do. I think by making my goal more specific and by shortening the time requirement to just five minutes, it will be easier to make this happen on a daily basis. I can always lengthen the time later.

I love that you continue to strive for what works and are willing to make tweaks along the way. As you said in a previous post, we can get too rigid and when we don’t meet our expectations it’s easy to just give up on that goal completely. Mindful eating is a great goal and I know it’s a lot harder than it sounds. Starting smaller can lead to greater things ahead over time.

Oh gosh...dish soap on those goodies😧! I know how much time and money is spent on making them so I don’t have the heart to do that, BUT I should have put them in the freezer and just taken one out at a time instead of setting it on the kitchen counter. My friend has been bringing a plate over for 25+ years for my family gathering on Christmas Eve but this year she was late. Next time I will take immediate action to the basement freezer!
  • nebslp
    Options
    MFP is acting goofy today. The first two paragraphs of my previous post are from themedalist, the 3rd and 4th are my response. Sorry about that.
  • themedalist
    Options
    MFP is acting goofy today. The first two paragraphs of my previous post are from themedalist, the 3rd and 4th are my response. Sorry about that.

I completely agree, @nebslp! My dish soap trick isn’t appropriate for something as special as Christmas goodies. But I know for myself I just don’t do well to have goodies in the house, even the freezer. Under those circumstances, I’d take the goodies into the office or find another group/place to share them with.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hello all and Happy pre-Monday! I know that Sunday nights can be a downer for most, but let's be intentional about those Move-It Mondays. It's not just about moving our bodies, but our mindsets in a forward direction. I'm going to be more grateful this week, for what my body can do. Focusing on the positive can be just as hard mentally for me as trying to run a marathon physically. "Motivation is often the result of action, not the cause of it." Small steps cause momentum to build, so I'm on a roll. I met my goals the past week, although I'm sore. I feel empowered to keep it going, and I lost a pound a well. Good luck everyone and have a great week ahead!