New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Brian. I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of May. A1C 8.5 at the time, currently on 500mg Metformin twice daily. Went to class and got my meter mid June. Checking BG once a day and my numbers have looked good. Had my first follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday. Rechecked A1C, even though it's only been 2 months, should hear results today. I had lost 22 pounds, the doc was pleased.

How was that A1C?

5.7, so slightly high, but he thinks I can come off the Metformin and my blood pressure medication in 4 months, if everything still looks good. Even said he would remove the diagnosis from my chart. That's pretty good motivation to keep up the low carb eating plan and exercise.

That is great progress!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hi, I'm Brian. I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of May. A1C 8.5 at the time, currently on 500mg Metformin twice daily. Went to class and got my meter mid June. Checking BG once a day and my numbers have looked good. Had my first follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday. Rechecked A1C, even though it's only been 2 months, should hear results today. I had lost 22 pounds, the doc was pleased.

How was that A1C?

5.7, so slightly high, but he thinks I can come off the Metformin and my blood pressure medication in 4 months, if everything still looks good. Even said he would remove the diagnosis from my chart. That's pretty good motivation to keep up the low carb eating plan and exercise.

I don’t understand how removing the diagnosis from your chart is a good thing. You are still diabetic even if controlled, and if you are ever stressed, say by an accident or operation, or need a steroid shot for some reason, your blood glucose will need to be monitored by your medical team. Steroids in particular can make diet controlled diabetics go from normal levels to over 300 for several days,
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    siouxieq62 wrote: »
    Hi LouVee186000 great job on the weight loss!! Did you go Keto by any chance??

Hi @siouxieq62 !

thanks -- i do not do keto, I just cut out processed food. Also doing the other stuff: weighing all my food, logging it all. I go to a gym class twice a week which helps with the GL numbers too.

Good luck on your own journey!

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member

How was that A1C?

I don’t understand how removing the diagnosis from your chart is a good thing. You are still diabetic even if controlled, and if you are ever stressed, say by an accident or operation, or need a steroid shot for some reason, your blood glucose will need to be monitored by your medical team. Steroids in particular can make diet controlled diabetics go from normal levels to over 300 for several days,

Hadn't considered that, I will ask for clarification. Maybe he would change the diagnosis to pre-diabetic.
  • garyhorder
    garyhorder Posts: 21 Member
    Hello all. I'm a newly diagnosed T2 .only known for sure the past two days though brought too Dr's attention via blood test y three weeks ago
    I imediatly rejoined mfp two weeks ago. Starting at 17 st 11 lbs on initial blood test am now three weeks on 17 st 2 lb and stated on medication . apart from this I have hardly any idea on how to hopefully get into remission or what my sugar goal daily should be. I'm keeping under 30 g at moment. But it's all a mine field. Dieting and sugar control may send me mad lol
  • kimbalorber
    kimbalorber Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I'm Kimba (think Simba with a K). Type 2 diagnosed at the beginning of Summer. It really hit me by surprise as I had lost over a hundred lbs and was well within my weight goal when it struck. I'm on Metformin twice a day and another pill I can't remember the name of offhand. The second pill works almost too well and now I have to be careful my blood sugar doesn't tank mid morning. Better than the alternative, I guess. lol My wife and I live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada and I am both Horseman and a Piano Instructor. Hello to all. :)
  • 2t9nty
    Hi I'm Kimba (think Simba with a K). Type 2 diagnosed at the beginning of Summer. It really hit me by surprise as I had lost over a hundred lbs and was well within my weight goal when it struck. I'm on Metformin twice a day and another pill I can't remember the name of offhand. The second pill works almost too well and now I have to be careful my blood sugar doesn't tank mid morning. Better than the alternative, I guess. lol My wife and I live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada and I am both Horseman and a Piano Instructor. Hello to all. :)

FWIW, I had a fasting BG of 104 I think in July of 2015. In January 2016, I told my doctor I was going to lose some weight. I never had the pre-diabetic conversation or anything. I lost 40 lbs by the next appointment in September, and the doctor did my annual panel. Fasting glucose was 348 or something. They checked the A1C and it was 12.8. I had lost weight and was feeling pretty good. I never would have guessed I would get a diagnosis like this.
  • rjgroves
    rjgroves Posts: 1 Member
    Hey y’all!
    My name is Randy. I was diagnosed with type 2 some time in 2013 or earlier. Not only am I a diabetic I am also an alcoholic. Over the years I have continued consuming alcohol along with occasional benders that last a few days and I end up in the hospital with ADK and chronic pancreatitis. This last time, September 9th, I almost died, hardly breathing, BP was trashed and I don’t remember anything and my glucose was over 800. Being admitted to the ICU unit. While in the ICU I had major hallucinations and could not differentiate what was real and what was not. BTW, 2 years ago I am told I died in the ER but was successfully resuscitated.
    Since being in the hospital, this last time, I decided I had enough of this life style. I have reconnected with my endocrinologist and next week my diabetes education counselor. Currently I am taking 20u of Lantus twice a day, one in the AM and then the PM. Along with Humalog, 15u per meal with a sliding scale of 3u at 50’s over 150 glucose. With reacquainting myself with carb counting via My Fitness Pal and avoiding alcohol I have hopes of watching my grand kids grow and lowering my A1C. (Last year A1C was close to 14, now it’s 9).
    So that’s a little bit of me. I hope in joining this group I might get some new insights into how others are managing their diabetes and using My Fitness Pal to better do so.
    Thanks,
    Randy
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    rjgroves wrote: »
    Hey y’all!
    My name is Randy. I was diagnosed with type 2 some time in 2013 or earlier. Not only am I a diabetic I am also an alcoholic. Over the years I have continued consuming alcohol along with occasional benders that last a few days and I end up in the hospital with ADK and chronic pancreatitis. This last time, September 9th, I almost died, hardly breathing, BP was trashed and I don’t remember anything and my glucose was over 800. Being admitted to the ICU unit. While in the ICU I had major hallucinations and could not differentiate what was real and what was not. BTW, 2 years ago I am told I died in the ER but was successfully resuscitated.
    Since being in the hospital, this last time, I decided I had enough of this life style. I have reconnected with my endocrinologist and next week my diabetes education counselor. Currently I am taking 20u of Lantus twice a day, one in the AM and then the PM. Along with Humalog, 15u per meal with a sliding scale of 3u at 50’s over 150 glucose. With reacquainting myself with carb counting via My Fitness Pal and avoiding alcohol I have hopes of watching my grand kids grow and lowering my A1C. (Last year A1C was close to 14, now it’s 9).
    So that’s a little bit of me. I hope in joining this group I might get some new insights into how others are managing their diabetes and using My Fitness Pal to better do so.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Gosh, that’s a lot to have to deal with at once! Alcohol and diabetes aren’t a great combination even for people who aren’t alcoholics. Great job getting your a1c down so far already, and best of luck to you! Just log everything and test frequently, you got this.
  • jagolliher
    jagolliher Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I was diagnosed being prediabetic/diabetic around 2009. I have been lucky enough to get and keep my A1C in the low 6's with using Metformin. My dr has experimented with Victoza and Bydureon but it doesn't really help my blood sugars much (except a little weight lose) and its very expensive. Since I have retired and have a poor health insurance plan now, I'm not taking it anymore. I have lost 40 lbs since being diagnosed. I am starting dieting again and hope to loose more. I would like to loose 40 more but my first goal is 10.
  • kelligifford88
    kelligifford88 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed with T2 in 2014. I haven't gone to any classes or anything as my brain refused to accept my diagnosis. My numbers were not that bad and were easily controlled. I have since rearranged my brain to accept this as my life now. For the past year my numbers have been on the high side and even with experimenting with different meds we couldn't get them down. So my GP sent me to a clinic that specializes in diabetics and weight management. What a life saver! The clinic had me start a new med called Ozempic and introduced me to MFP. They also involved me with a nutritionist at the start to get me on the right track. I am now within normal ranges of numbers and have managed to loose so far 38 lbs. I learned I have the trifecta of diseases T2, high blood pressure and obesity. Oh and I am also a 10 year breast cancer survivor. I am no where near my goal weight yet. Hopefully this year is the year for getting my life on track and reaching all my goals.
    I am new to this forum thing and look forward to joining in on some conversations. Big hugs to all.

💖💖💖
    Kelli
  • jcraft1973
    jcraft1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I’m Jennifer and I was recently diagnosed with T2 in December 2019.... I’m looking for support and encouragement and accountability to stay on track. I lost my dad in December 2019 and did a lot of comfort eating. So I’m really new to all the food changes and I don’t have a lot of willpower to stay on track. I am a single mom of three young men, and go to college full-time and work part time. Most of my food had been coming from stopping at fast food restaurants to catch a quick bite as I don’t have a lot of time in between stuff
  • atirado623
    atirado623 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi my name is Amy I've been Type 2 since ... my early 20's my dad is also type 2. I had a very scary pregnancy due to this and preeclampsia and almost died. I lost over half my blood and had to have 4 blood transfusions. I also had PPD ... it's taken a while to get my life back to where I'd like it. This is one of my goals to get my weight healthy again... and my lifestyle. Struggling with depression also doesn't help when I am an emotional eater. I've been on the calorie counting before and lost a combination of 60 something pounds on it so I know it works for me. Just was time to jump back on the wagon even if I was alone in doing so. I've tried Keto but it's no good for me since my cholesterol is also very high.
  • 2t9nty
    atirado623 wrote: »
    I've tried Keto but it's no good for me since my cholesterol is also very high.

My cholesterol has gotten under control with keto, and I have gone off my statin. Ratios are good and all that. People are different in the ways they respond of course. Did your cholesterol respond poorly to keto, or is it just a concern about dietary cholesterol?

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    atirado623 wrote: »
    Hi my name is Amy I've been Type 2 since ... my early 20's my dad is also type 2. I had a very scary pregnancy due to this and preeclampsia and almost died. I lost over half my blood and had to have 4 blood transfusions. I also had PPD ... it's taken a while to get my life back to where I'd like it. This is one of my goals to get my weight healthy again... and my lifestyle. Struggling with depression also doesn't help when I am an emotional eater. I've been on the calorie counting before and lost a combination of 60 something pounds on it so I know it works for me. Just was time to jump back on the wagon even if I was alone in doing so. I've tried Keto but it's no good for me since my cholesterol is also very high.

Well CICO is proven to work. Keto/low carb by the way are still CICO, because the facts are no one loses weight unless they are in a calorie deficit.
    This may surprise you or not. I follow low carb, and while kind of close to Keto, I do not eat tons of fat. And my total cholesterol as of 12/19/2019 is 100. I shoot for 55 to 60 grams of carb per day, 65 grams of fat, balance is protein. For me, this has been working bringing my A1C down, working fantastic for all my blood lipids as well. I wish you luck for whatever you decide on your journey to becoming healthy.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    jcraft1973 wrote: »
    Hi I’m Jennifer and I was recently diagnosed with T2 in December 2019.... I’m looking for support and encouragement and accountability to stay on track. I lost my dad in December 2019 and did a lot of comfort eating. So I’m really new to all the food changes and I don’t have a lot of willpower to stay on track. I am a single mom of three young men, and go to college full-time and work part time. Most of my food had been coming from stopping at fast food restaurants to catch a quick bite as I don’t have a lot of time in between stuff

Hi Jennifer, did your Dr. office send you to a dietician or send you to diabetes education? I have been a type 2 for over 20 years now.
    Have you decided or thought about what type of style of eating you are going to follow? Because as a diabetic, food choices are important, so even if you do calories in, calories out. You still need to know how many carbs, fats, and proteins to eat at meals and snacks. And I am going to be blunt, fast food places are not the best of places to find that. Can you find a few hours at a time to do some meal prepping, and snack prepping as that would really help you.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm not actually a T2 diabetic but I couldn't find a more appropriate MFP group that was actually active so I hope you don't mind me joining you guys.... I'm 23 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My obstetrician is expecting me to end up on insulin by the end of the pregnancy due to being diagnosed so early, but for now I am attempting to control it via dietary means only. I'm in the UK and am definitely struggling at the moment with all the shops being completely stripped bare due to panic buying over COVID-19! Because I'm pregnant, I can't cut my carbs too low (I have been told to have a minimum of 100g a day, and that I should be aiming for 150g) so for me it is mostly about getting the food combining correct, which I am still getting my head around :smiley:
  • 2t9nty
    Hi everyone, I'm not actually a T2 diabetic but I couldn't find a more appropriate MFP group that was actually active so I hope you don't mind me joining you guys.... I'm 23 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My obstetrician is expecting me to end up on insulin by the end of the pregnancy due to being diagnosed so early, but for now I am attempting to control it via dietary means only. I'm in the UK and am definitely struggling at the moment with all the shops being completely stripped bare due to panic buying over COVID-19! Because I'm pregnant, I can't cut my carbs too low (I have been told to have a minimum of 100g a day, and that I should be aiming for 150g) so for me it is mostly about getting the food combining correct, which I am still getting my head around :smiley:

I have no clue about the response of gestational diabetes to the dietary changes. I know my own glucose levels responded dramatically to lowering the carbs, but I was not pregnant. Do you have a meter to check how effective the changes are before the next appointment?
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    I have no clue about the response of gestational diabetes to the dietary changes. I know my own glucose levels responded dramatically to lowering the carbs, but I was not pregnant. Do you have a meter to check how effective the changes are before the next appointment?

Hi 2t9nty. I do have a meter to track my glucose and I send a report of the results to my antenatal team weekly. So far, my glucose levels have (mostly) been kept well controlled using dietary changes which is amazing. I'm not against having to be put on insulin if required but I would like to do my best to avoid it for as long as possible. I started tracking on MFP again (I've previously used it for weight loss ages ago) purely to ensure my carb intake is sufficient (not too high or low) as I got a bit freaked out by my blood glucose results and cut my carbs too much and the hospital team are insistent I need to eat more carbs for the baby.