New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica and Kim!
    Welcome!
    I was diagnosed April 2015 and probably like you was completely overwhelmed but don't be too scared. You just need to get fit, eat right and if you need to..lose some weight.
    One of the most comforting things the doctor said to me when I was diagnosed and crying in the examining room was that everyone needs to do this...diabetic or not. Good choices that everyone needs to embrace...so remember that and it will help. Also the type 2 support group has lots of great and helpful people!!!
    To start I would say walk every day or do some sort of exercise. Don't start extreme because you need to make this a lifestyle change :) I have lost 76 lbs (I play with w 5 lb range) and am on maintenance but all I did was walk (and not fast) every day for the fist 9 months of the year it took me to lose the weight. I now do lots of different things but with evrryone going on, walking is a great one till you settle in and get a bit fitter!!

Also the second thing I would suggest is trying to drink at least 8 cups of water every single day. We need to protect and not stress out our kidneys!!

To start with your diet, there are lots of ways to help keep your blood sugar more stable bit above all, I would go by the advice of your doctor..here is what Is working for me...lots of people here follow this sort of diet..it is moderate carbs and balanced diet and other follow a low carb, high fat with success but for me it wouldn't be sustainable. Follow your medical advice and listen to your body(important)
    Eating as much real food (less processed) as you can do at least you know what you are eating :) this is a big one for me!

Eating more veggies..(non starchy ones) make then the focus of your meal!!

Lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish...

Carbs..when I started I would keep my total carbs PER MEAL at around 30-35 which is lower...that included fruit, veggies, dairy...all sources of carbs but you can play around with that..the diabetic associations recommend around 40-45 carbs per meal which was too high for me when I was starting..would send my blood sugar to the moon 2 hours after eating so I cut it down until I saw some sort of normal readings.. Spread your carbs out with your meals if you can..there will always be exceptions! Keeps the blood sugar more stable.
    Now that I exercise lots more..running, swimming, extreme exercise classes at the gym I can eat around 40-50 carbs per meal without too much bother. I eat my carbs always with fat and/or protein and fiber to temper the blood sugar post meal.
    I have always kept the 80/20 rule and that meant birthdays, holidays etc I could and do celebrate with cake etc but not with wild abandon lol! Get right back to healthy and you may boy believe this but the longer you eat healthy..the less you will crave the junk.

Eat enough..don't starve yourself.

It sounds overwhelming but it's not as bad as what you think when you were diagnosed...everyone will cheer you and support!!!
    You will likely find you will be in the best shape and feeling so great once you get into the groove. It's a journey and a learning process...take it day by day..this meal, this walk, this decision. Its easier that way!!!!
    Lots of us feel better than we have in ever!!!
    It's normal to feel bummed, mad, cheated and why me...the stigma of type 2 as well but believe me you will feel like a champion!!! Everyone needs a project...this is a big one for us. YOU CAN DO THIS!! I repeated that every single day and still do..more to do with exercise now tho haha!
    Hope that helps you!!!! Welcome aboard!!!!!
  • SigmaX
    SigmaX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Edward and I was just diagnosed with T2 Diabetes this morning. Though I have known for about a month now (they checked my fasting sugar in order to do the final test and it was higher than it should be), just had conflicting schedules with the Dr until today. I've been put on Metformin and took my first starting dose as soon as I got it.

I've used myfitnesspal for a few years now, but I always run into trouble when I eat something without a label.

I'm hoping to lose weight so I can get off the meds, of course I've been trying to lose weight for years now, I guess this is more motivation now. I'm being referred to the diabetic help center, so I guess I'll wait for their call to learn more.

For the most part I don't really feel bad about the diagnosis, getting in shape is something that I really need to do. I also have high blood pressure and anxiety, getting in shape should help with those as well.

I came back to this site to start tracking my food again and hopefully be able to ask questions as they come up.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Welcome Edward!! Sounds like you have a great attitude!! One thing that helped me was the doctor told me...the way we eat and exercise for diabetes is the way everyone should eat and exercise!!!!You are definitely not alone!!!
  • missdonielle
    missdonielle Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hi! My name is Donielle. I'm 46 now and have, for just about 3 yrs now, type 2 Diabetes. I had gestational diabetes when pg with my eldest son who is now 23 . I had been at a weight of 249 when I found out I was T2 and lost 49 lbs in 4/5 months out of sheer terror.
    I am now up 15 lbs. due to stress and temptations of treats and pot lucks at work, as well as the Fibromyalgia medicine I am now on (Lyrica). If there is anyone who would like to add me as a friend, I'd gladly accept it. I would love to chat with persons walking down a similar path as me!
  • mustangem82
    mustangem82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my girls so it wasn't completely a surprise but still really disappointed! On medication now but hoping to get to a point where it's manageable with diet and exercise. Also hope to lose another 20 lb or so.
  • ellequoi
    ellequoi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Leah, and I've had diabetes just over a year now. I take 500 mg extended-release Metformin (Glumetza) once a day. My latest a1c was 5.6%, but I'm always trying to get it lower :smile: I've been trying to lose weight since my diagnosis and going low carb (< 100 g carbs/day) and am around 25 lbs away from my goal weight, though I seem to have stalled.

I'm greatly curious as to the eating habits of other diabetics, so feel free to add me!
  • ceciliabeattie
    ceciliabeattie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Cecilia I have type 2 diabetes and over weight so I have started a 1200 calories a day diet to help with both I am only on pills at the min and want to keep it that way lol my sugar levels are a bit high was at 24 but now at 14 so getting there ANY RECIPE TIPS would be great thanks x
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Brenda, and the doc has not yet diagnosed me with type II YET, but I just logged into my blood test results from Friday, and I am definitely in that group! Will see her this week then!

I am used to using MFP, lost big, and then gained much of it back,
    and have struggled to stay on plan. The plan I am using has been equal parts carb and protein, and lower in fat - 25%- but I see I am going to have to up the carbs! My issue is that I am allergic to grains, not celiac, just grains, except no reaction to brown rice. So I eat it for breakfast and lunch, not usually at dinner.

What the Am and CAN Diabetes Assoc are giving me are not clear guidelines, like exactly how much protein/carb/and fat per day. What GRAMS, or Cups or OZ? How often? There are a lot of carbs on their sites! and a lot of fruit with the carbs?

Any and all advice and direction is welcome! do you eat small meals, or snacks, or

Hope you are all in a healthy place today!

B

• GalatiansTwoTwenty
    Options
    I am so happy that I found this group! I am actually crying right now after reading the stories.

I am 52 years old and have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes for about 13 years. I am new to MFP (this is only my 7th day). I have tried so many medicines and even some long acting and short acting insulin. I really don't think I would need medicine at all if I could control my emotional eating. I have joined the emotional eating group, also.

I am a recent widow that is looking at living on a fixed income, so the cost of meds and healthy foods is really a concern for me at this time and I need to get healthier so my health care will not be such a financial burden. And the grief associated with the loss of my husband and beginning a new stage of life is not helping me very much.

I am just happy to be able to find a place where perhaps I can encourage others in their struggles, and I can be encouraged.

Thank you so much!

Joyce Ann
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My name is Jim, 50, married, was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in January 2004, managed it, poorly with diet until February 2013, when i started with metformin 1000mg once a day. In August 2014 my a1c was 6.8 so my metformin was upped to 1000 twice a day. January 2016 a1c 7.9, so we added 25mg januvia to the mix. In June 2016 a1c was back down to 7.0. Over the past decade my weight has yo-yo'd between 560lbs (254kg) and 515lbs (233.6kg). In 2004, i was at my heaviest, 593lbs (269kg).

Finally, this August first, i decided to start eating better and doing something about my health, i was at 529.6lbs (240.23kgs). I want to see at least the first two grandbabies make it to 21 (they were born in May and July).

Other than arthritis in my knees, hips, back and shoulders, the weight, diabetes and some neuropathy in my hands and feet i am healthy, no heart, lung or circulatory issues.

This morning, my fasting blood glucose level was 118, with a 2 week average of 124, and my weight was down to 494.2lbs (224.17kgs)... nearly 100lbs off my highest weight and the least i have weighted since the late 1990's.

I have my daily calorie goal set at 2750, since i started here, two weeks ago, i have on average consumed 2643 calories a day, and i do not eat back any of my exercise calories. i used a different website on and off for the past 3 years until it stopped updating reports and the diary.

On august first i could only stand to walk 0.1miles before the joint pain and shortness of breath made me stop. Last week i was up to a mile which took me 45 minutes to walk, this morning it took me 35 minutes for the same mile, the first quarter mile is up a hill that has an average slope of 21.2%. for me this is a very good day. The pain is less but i can breathe a lot easier on the walk.

jim
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Wow Jim!!!!! You are doing amazing!!!! Sounds like you really really want to do it!!! My motivation were my grandbabies too!! I want to see them grow up! Next time you are at your doctor's appt. I bet you see a better A1C!!!! Walking is a fantastic exercise too! I hope you are proud of what you are achieving!!!! If there is any words of encouragement it would be to enjoy your journey!!!! You can do this!!!!!!!!
  • LisaMarie2017
    LisaMarie2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi, all, been a member for a few days

name is Lisa 37, work full time, just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with T2, went to diabetes class today, but was told, I will get my meter in 2 weeks at the next class.
    I am supposed to get my A1C down to 7% in 3 months or go on insulin (current 10.3)

just reading and learning as much as I can, till I can get my meter (they are gonna get me 1 that my insurance will cover)
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    hi, all, been a member for a few days

name is Lisa 37, work full time, just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with T2, went to diabetes class today, but was told, I will get my meter in 2 weeks at the next class.
    I am supposed to get my A1C down to 7% in 3 months or go on insulin (current 10.3)

just reading and learning as much as I can, till I can get my meter (they are gonna get me 1 that my insurance will cover)

Welcome to the group @LisaMarie2017 !

i'm curious was insulin the first med they are trying or did they give you some for these 3 months? i've been on pills for 4 years but i've been t2 for 12....
  • LisaMarie2017
    LisaMarie2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    they gave me 3 meds, metformin 1000mg 2x day. trajenta 5mg and glimepiride 4mg
    --
    dr told me if I didn't get down to 7% in 3 months, I would go on insulin shots
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to the community. I use janumet and pioglitazone. My new endo is happy but my fasting is coming in around 130 and 140 all the time. I would prefer to be in the 100 to 120 range. So trying to figure out how to get there. Looking forward to new friends.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @jvcjim Thanks for mentioning this group on Chit Chat thread!
    I was First diagnosed as Type II in 1992, I went on oral meds but never corrected my diet/activity level.
    I got up to 376# and in 2013 began WW and exercise. I have lost 143# and now do water aerobics and swim 4X a week at age 68. My A1C has dropped from high of 8+ to my latest reading of 5.2! My Dr said I may go off meds completely on my next visit in three months.
    I check my Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) every morning and it reflects if I have eaten stuff I shouldn't the day before. I use it as a daily reminder to never go back to my old bad ways of eating and no exercise.
  • papa369
    papa369 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi: My name is papa369 I'm T2 and was wondering if anyone has tried Apple Cider Vinegar? I'm 6ft tall and weigh 247 I take 2 Glipizide in the morning and 2 more Glipizide plus 3 Metformin at night. I'm 66 years young.
  • jsimms435
    jsimms435 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was on myfitnesspal earlier this year and left and now I am back. I have been type 2 diabetes since 2001. I just started (literally last Friday) using an insulin pump. I've had to make one minor adjustment so far with bolus and basal numbers, but otherwise it is going okay. I tried shots and it didn't work for me very well. This appears to be much better so far. I am married and have two kids, one is already out of the house. We also have four cats, one is my profile picture Molly, who is my favorite.
  • AmandamazingLowCarb
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Amanda. I was diagnosed with T2 about 2 years ago now, but I haven't really been trying to do anything about it until the last 9 months or so. I'm on Metformin 2x/day. I was on Trulicity as well, which worked great. However, my insurance wouldn't cover it and it's crazy expensive so I stopped.

I'm focusing on eating a low-carb diet and getting exercise. I'm blessed to have my husband doing it alongside me. We have 5 fur-babies: 4 cats and a dog. I'm a crazy cat lady :smile:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Niki and have popped in and out of this group over the past couple of years .. joined up again today and hope that this time I find myself fitting in.

I've been Type II Diabetic for about 12 years and wasn't really serious about getting control over my glucose tolerance until about 5 years ago. That's about the time I went from simply being insulin resistant to a full-blown diabetic. Still, in that time I've trimmed my weight by about 30 pounds, taken classes on managing chronic illnesses like this one, lowered my overall carbohydrate consumption, and lowered my A1c from a starting high of 7.9 to 5.9 ... my day time glucose run well, but I have terrible readings first thing in the morning. The only medication I take is Metformin and that dosage has been decreased this past year to a lower mg. tablet.