New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm Lina. I am newly diagnosed with T2 as of Friday January 13th 2017. My Doc and I have known it's been coming. She's been monitoring me for approximately 3 years. My A1C was 5.5 forever with diet and exercise but my latest was 7.7
  • cynbish875
    cynbish875 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm Cindy. I have been uncontrolled T2 for many years now. Every medication that I have been put on so far works for about a month then doesn't want to do it's job anymore. I finally started seeing an endocrinologist to see if he can help me. That was 4 months ago and the meds he put me on has stopped working as well. I have been to diabetes education classes and I guess I will look into going back again. I have now started pushing myself to do more exercise and low carb dieting (2 weeks). I have not seen a change in my levels at all so far. Still in the 300's. Last A1C was 12.3 Current medications are: Toujeo solostar, glipizied, metformin, lisinopril, artvostatin, and Novolin at meal time.
  • Daisyrn
    Daisyrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cindy, I am in the same boat as you. I take the exact meds as you except for the cholesterol med. I am starting an insulin pump on Tuesday. I was surprised when my endocrinologist suggested it. I guess I only think of type one diabetics using a pump. I will let you know how it works for me. It sounds like it might be the right ticket for me, lets keep our fingers crossed :smiley:
  • papa369
    papa369 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm taking 2 glipizide and 2 metformin twice a day. I've been keeping a log of my reading and the food I have eaten this last week. I'm hoping to go on Insulin in an effort to get my glucose under 200. I also need to loose 50 lbs. I've been T2 for a long time. My Great Granddaughter who is 17 months old was just diagnosed with type1. There is nothing harder then watch an infant fighting for her life when she doesn't understand what is happening. Thus I need to do/be a better example.
  • RingosTreehouse
    RingosTreehouse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone, I'm David, 62, I've been T2 for about 7 years. Sometimes very compliant and keeping my levels at a good place, sometimes not. Over the past few months I was out of control and have taken about three weeks to get back closer to what I want. My A1c a week ago today was 8.4, so I've come back here to get strict and bring it down.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Welcome David, it can be done my a1c has dropped from 7.9 to 6.1 in the past year i have dropped 70 pounds in that time frame. although to be honest is did not really start working on it until august
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Kay

Age 65, closer to 66.

A1C had been creeping up and with a history, my Dad being diabetic, the doctor decided that 500 ml daily would help me reduce my numbers. Sad to say I don't have a starting date when all of this transpired but I have been taking Metformin for quite a long time, at least prior to 2008. I was close to 200 lbs at the time.

To date I have lost almost 50 lbs and my A1C is at 5.9, down from 6.2, but my Glucose number was 120 at my doctor's visit yesterday. I was hoping for a better Glucose number. The doctor agreed to my not taking the Metformin for 3 months with the assurance that I would continue on my exercise and weight loss journey (another 10 lbs) and then assess if I needed to return to the Metformin.

I had never watched my sugar intake until I changed my settings on MFP this week. The guidelines that I have found says that 22 gm a day for a female. Wondering if anyone else in this group can shed some light on what they are striving for each day.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to working with this group to continue to better my health.

• jvcjim
    Options
    well i have a high daily calorie goal (2600cal) and a sugar goal of 100g (total sugar) my average those is 84g of sugar daily
  • yarnnut34
    yarnnut34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Cathy and I was diagnosed with T2D about 5 years ago. Up until about 6 months ago I had been keeping my BS under fairly good control (125-135), then all of a sudden it just went nuts! I landed in the ER one night about 2 1/2 months ago with a BS of 495 and no idea why it was so high.

I am now on Levemir at night and humalog at meal times, along with Metformin twice a day and Victosa every day as well. So far it's helping but my BS still goes as high as 225 sometimes although it has gone as low as 95 once. I'm glad I'm not seeing the 300-400 range anymore, but would like to see more 95's!

I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember, with no real success. I just recently came back to MFP about a month or so ago on the advice of a nutritionist who can't figure out why I weigh as much as I do either. Hopefully I'll be able to fix BOTH issues so that I can start walking farther than the length of my house again. My biggest wish is to be able to take long nature walks with my grandson before he gets too old to enjoy my company (he's 1 1/2 now).
  • TheTagman
    TheTagman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all.....My name is Ron and I've been diagnosed T-2 for a little over a year now but suspect I've been diabetic for much longer. Right after I was diagnosed I dedicated myself to eating low carb and daily exercise (mainly on my treadmill) and saw pretty good results, but over the past 6 months or so I have been slacking off and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost and my numbers are starting to climb back up. I'm vacationing this week and upon my return I am going to rededicate myself to eating right and exercising regularly! Hopefully I can refrain from getting TOO carried away while spending time with my grandson at Disney! I'm hoping to find some friends to help me be accountable in my efforts. Thanks for allowing me to be part of your group! I so much appreciate it!
  • natmanJ
    natmanJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Nathan and I was diagnosed Type 1 near my 21st birthday. After 10 years of struggling with weight gain on various insulin varieties (4x32U typical day) I finally convinced a great endocrinologist to work with me on an experiment to determine whether I was type 1. I convincingly proved Type 2 and am now, a further 10+ years later on Humalog and metformin for control.

I've just started the 5:2 diet as recommended by a doctor and that has further reduced my insulin needs (I've not had any today and I've been down to 4U for a whole day - typical would have been 3x8U).

I've also dropped about 50kg in that time and am seeking to drop another 10-15 to be in my ideal range. I've researched this illness a lot as well as tried many means of control. Happy to share what I've learned, good and bad, as well as learn from others experiences. I can also relate my progress in the 5:2 diet if people are interested.
  • tesserri
    tesserri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Terri. Diagnosed in 2015. Latest A1C was 8.0, up from 7.8 three months ago. No insulin. 500 mg Metformin at dinner. Have been to see a nutritionist, attended a 6-week class, am seeing a nurse diabetes educator. Still, I am resisting two key things: meal planning and exercise. 65 years old, 5'3", 170 lbs., live alone, don't like to cook, often order entrees from a catering service in the Chicago area. Happy to share with others dealing with this and wish you all well.
  • lunabellz
    lunabellz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Vicki I have had T2D for about 10 years work hard on my diet and only take 1 metformin 500mg 1 x day. I weigh to much, 217 lbs and got down to under 200 and the I got cocky and gained it back and feel miserable. Now I'm back and feel much better just knowing I'm taking control again. I've had some physical issue and emotional ones so exercise has been my hardest to get back on track. I'm a dog lover and I have to walk my dog every day so that has got me going again now just to extend out time.
    I'm 67 years old and retired.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. :)
  • beesmum
    beesmum Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I was just diagnosed with type 2. I was on metformin for the month but now I've been switched to victoza injections and am told to do my blood sugar readings in the morning. I've cut out all artificial sugar (candy, chocolate, junk) and am trying to cut down carbs.
    I'm thinking of trying to do a juicing program for breakfasts only to increase my vegetable intake...
    Does anyone have any other advice?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @beesmum Welcome to the group. :)

I would advise you to be careful with juicing. That's generally a really fast high carb delivery system with the fibre (which slows glucose spikes) having been removed. It might be better to fry up veggies with eggs or put them in an omelette.

If you want more veggies, I would try to focus on green leafy ones, fibre intact if you can. I would avoid or limit starchy root vegetables like potatoes, yams, onions, carrots, turnips, etc. They tend to be higher in carbs and with a higher GI index or GI load.

TBH, lots of veggies are not always helpful to diabetics, IMO. They taste great, and have lots of good nutrition, but lots of veggies don't always help our BG levels.

I follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution low carb plan. Really good book, written by a diabetes doctor who has T1D. He knows his stuff and likes people to test after most meals so you know how each food impacts you, as an individual. http://www.diabetes-book.com/
  • beesmum
    beesmum Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful advice!!
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 on the 15th. Early last week I noticed I was thirsty ALL the time, which had me up 3 or 4 times I night hitting the head. Really didn't think much of it. I'm a cop in Alabama, I get dehydrated from time to time. Couple days ago I noticed my vision getting blurry. This really bugged me because I spent a lot of money on lasik a couple years ago! Finally it got so bad yesterday I called the doctor and they fit me in. So the nurse was taking down my symptoms and said "hmm let's check your sugar" So she comes in, pricks my finger, gets some blood on the doo-hickey and loudly exclaims "Oh my! You're sweet!" Which I respond "I've heard that before." So my blood sugar was 396. I think the next hour or two I was freaked out! By the end of the day I had a bunch of meds (to add to what the VA already gives me), a fancy new doo-hickey of my own and a pokey thing.
  • jvcjim
    Options
    @tgardi Welcome to the group, everybody is different and it will take a little time for you to get you numbers straightened out and perhaps lessen the medication load.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, my name is Connie. I was diagnosed T2 in July 2016 (A1C of 7.0), This after having an impacted gallbladder and severe pancreatitis in October 2014. Second pancreatitis attack 3 months later with lipase level of 11,802 (normal is 10-30). During this hospital stay they did a procedure that resulted in a hematoma around my liver the same size as my liver (this,took a year to go away). I've had 3 more attacks since with the last attack in July 2016...by which time I had gained 45lbs. I have been on 850 Metformin 2x day since 08/16 and 30 Actos 1x day in 12/16 (My A1C was 8.0). I am undergoing testing on my pancreas as I appear to have either a condition called pancreas divism or a lot of scarring and stones in my pancreas from all of the attacks. My pancreas doesn't produce the enzymes in needs to so I am also taking Creon. My current A1C per my meter is 9.1! . . And my usual FBG is in the mid to high 200's. So, that's my history lol..... I am down. 60lbs since 7/16 and 7lbs away from 100lbs from my HW of 325!. I am still struggling with control and the pancreas problems is definitely not helping. Any new friends to share ups and downs and insights would be nice. I live in Orange Country CA if anyone is close by.