New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• judebug1957
    judebug1957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am Jude, a 59 year old mom & Gran, just 6 weeks out from my DT2 DX. See how fast I learn? I have been pretty much on my own figuring this out, as PA, not my Dr, shared this totally unexpected diagnosis with me. Was told to try to lower my #s with diet and exercise. No suggestions given. No meds.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am Jude, a 59 year old mom & Gran, just 6 weeks out from my DT2 DX. See how fast I learn? I have been pretty much on my own figuring this out, as PA, not my Dr, shared this totally unexpected diagnosis with me. Was told to try to lower my #s with diet and exercise. No suggestions given. No meds.

I think doctors who are actually helpful on how to manage T2D with diet and exercise are few and far between. :(

I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, and his videos and website, to be a huge help to me. Others have found Fung to be very helpful (Obesity Code).

For those who need a low fat solution (due to a health issue with their gall bladder and pancreas, or hypercholesterolemia) Ornish's diet can help some.

Welcome to the group and best wishes. :)
  • lifesavr
    lifesavr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just found this group. I have been a T2 since I was 40 and I am now 68 years old. I am getting ready for bypass surgery, been decreasing my calorie intake over several months and been doing good with that, though surely have had moments where I have failed, I just reset my counter and get going again. I am feeling so much better with this diet that I have in a long time. The big secret for me is that I can do my own cooking, and thus I can make food that I like and good for me. I am just eating protein and vegetables. This diet allows me one piece of bread a day and 1/2 cup of dairy a day. What I have noticed since I have been on this diet is that even when I try to overeat again, my tolerance is so low, I guess my stomach has shrunk that I really can't eat that much more. If that makes any sense to anyone. If you told me I would get to this place in my life I would have told you that you were crazy. Food, and overeating surely had become a way of life for me. I have gone from taking two different injectables medications, every day, using approx. 50 - 100 units of Humulin R and then using Lantus from 120 units also a day, plus 45mg of Actos, and even then, not really controlling my sugars that well. Now I am not taking any injectables and only using the Actos daily. The other big change in my life is going to the YMCA 3 to 4 times a week. I do the aquatics, since I was 340lbs when I started and my knee is gone, that has really helped my feeling better and at times has helped my sugar levels to go down. Then I will go up into the gym and do upper body, since I can't really use my legs that well because of my knee. This has also helped with losing weight and even more with my depression, which I would suffer from since I felt helpless do deal with my disease that was killing me. So now with this changes over a year time, I have hope for my future. I check my blood sugar 5-6 times a day. Glad I found this group and will keep checking in. Wishing everyone the best!
  • Vraie2017
    Vraie2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined today. I was diagnosed in 2012. My A1C was 9.8. I lost 40 lbs in six months. But did so by basically not eating. Meaning g extremely low carb. While my A1C drooped to 5.9 I felt horrible. I have since gained back 10 lbs. Now goal is to make lifestyle changes that are healthy long-term and not fear based. Joined this group to support and be supported.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wow, Vraie... My A1C is 9.7 and I've lost 60lbs since end of 07/16....if anything my A1C has risen from 7 to current 9.7 while losing weight. All my best to you on your journey.
  • Vraie2017
    Options
    Hi Conleiegh. Thanks for posting. Was hoping to make contact through this group.
  • Vraie2017
    Options
    Oh nevermind you said how much you lost. Reading too many posts and got mixed up lol. 60 pounds is significant! Good job!
  • Vraie2017
    Options
    Hi Livsavr I am glad you have found a diet that is helping you feel better. I have found that I am fatigued a lot of the time. Does anyone else experience this?
  • Vraie2017
    Options
    Hi Jude. I was wondering what a part is. Also how are you feeling about the diagnosis. My first reaction was fear and Feeling overwhelmed.
  • Vraie2017
    Options
    Sorry Jude. These spell checks will be the death of me. Lol. I meant what is a PA.
  • lateaserikard
    lateaserikard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is LaTease Rikard and I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic as of April 19, 2017. My son died from diabetes, he was diagnosed at 9 months old we found out his pancreas did not develop properly and therefore were not functioning. I went through so much as a single parent with him. Low blood sugars, high blood sugars, seizures, dialysis, loss of eyesight, and multiple hospitalizations. I don't want my T2 to progress. As a matter of fact I enjoy planning out my meals, I just need to make sure I exercise 30 minutes a day. It's good being a part of a support group that will hold me accountable. If anyone is interested and wants to connect on Facebook, look me up and let me know you're from the group. I'd love to have you as a friend.
  • Milynne
    Milynne Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello, all... I was just recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes after having my yearly physical. My father has been a diabetic since my teen years and my mom was recently diagnosed as well about a year or so ago. I am just slightly over the a1c threshold at 6.8 but it's enough to make me realize that my eating choices and lack of exercise recently have been a detriment to my health. I've been on MFP for several years and my weight definitely fluctuates from as low as 160s to upwards of 250 :( Right now I'm on that higher end floating around 216 and it's time to jump back on the wagon and keep myself healthy!

Currently I am on Metformin, Atorvastatin (Lipitor), and Gabapentin once a day and a weekly Vitamin D pill.

I have never taken anything more than advil/aleve so having this much medication thrust at me all at once has made me feel a bit anxious and determined to do something about it!

Hopefully I can sum up the willpower to do what I know I can do and get my life back under control :)
  • FabMamaCC
    FabMamaCC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just got diagnosed with Type 2 on Friday and am still waiting to see my family physician to start treatment. My numbers were really high, so I am nervous about what the future holds but am here to try my best to get this disease under control as naturally as possible and hopefully "reverse it" (remission) though nutrition and exercise. I had gestational diabetes with both of my children and was told Type 2 would find me within 10 years. Well... here it is!

I had to take Metformin in my 20's to help with insulin resistance/PCOS and improve fertility, but didn't last on Metformin as it made me feel very ill. Has anyone found ways to help reduce the side effects of the drug? With a blood glucose reading of 22 and A1C of 12.5, I know it's coming but don't want to be sick all the time.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on resources, as well as supplements that have helped improve the disease, I would love to hear it.

Thanks! :smile:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So, the exciting story of my diagnosis is that I was admitted to the hospital in October 2016 with severe abdominal pain, and what they told me at the time was a large cyst. At the ER they gave me morphine and told me to go home, since an ultrasound showed blood flow to my ovary which meant there was no torsion.

Well... in retrospect the ER doctor got several things wrong. In order: 1) Not a cyst but a tumor. 2) It was indeed a torsion - turns out blood flow on ultrasound is not an appropriate test to rule out torsion. And most importantly to the folks on this forum, 3) my blood glucose at the time was 272 - which no one bothered to mention to me.

Meanwhile, I was suffering pretty badly - what I had was an intermittent torsion, which meant it was sometimes twisted and cutting off blood flow, and sometimes not. I felt absolutely terrible, and I couldn't stop eating - it was like nothing I did gave me any energy. When I went into the ER the first time I weighed 275. I ate an entire basket of leftover Halloween candy - not typical behavior for me, although I have issues with portion control I usually ate healthy food - and in one month I lost 25 lbs - a classic sign of diabetes. Because of my insurance, I was unable to afford surgery for my "cyst," but I did see a doctor who said that if I had severe pain again I should go back to the ER.

In December, I had severe pain again. Shortly after doing blood work, the ER doctor stuck his nose in the door. "Are you diabetic?" he said. I knew that I had not had any blood glucose issues a year earlier at my checkup and said no. "You're diabetic," he said, and disappeared around the door again. I found out later by reading my paperwork that my glucose at that time was almost 300.

Long story short, I was admitted and my ovary - black and dead from the torsion - was removed, along with a thankfully benign tumor. The hospital ran an A1c which turned out to be 11. I ate the prescribed diabetic diet while in the hospital - breakfast was a choice of French toast or pancakes, with sugar free syrup. I was introduced to the hospital nutritionist, whose intervention consisted of handing me a flyer from the ADA and telling me to eat no more than three "carbs" per meal, with a carb defined as anything starchy or sugary - a slice of pie was "one carb" as was a baked potato. I mentioned quinoa, and the nutritionist didn't know what that was. Then I saw a doctor who prescribed 2 mg of glimeperide and 2000 of metformin, said I didn't need to worry about a glucose meter since I wasn't on insulin, and that was it. None of this seemed right to me, and it clearly didn't seem quite right to the nurse either, although she was obviously trained not to contradict doctors. She took me aside as I was being discharged and said that my meds might cause low blood sugar, and the way to know that without a meter was if I felt shaky or sweaty. I asked what to do if that happened - go to the ER? No, just eat something, she said, with a look on her face like someone putting a kitten out into the snow to fend for itself.

I was on my own. So I got online and read everything I could about the subject. I figured out that my nutritionist had simplified the ADA's advice to the point of being dangerous, and the ADA guidelines might not be the best ones to follow in the first place, according to the actual diabetics who were living and flourishing. I bought a meter, and started testing like crazy and determining how food, meds, and exercise affected my blood sugar. I started working out, first a little, then a lot, adjusted my own meds so that I no longer had lows, ate what worked for me without spikes, and in May 2017 my A1c was 4.9 - perfectly normal levels. I've lost 46 lbs since I started tracking on MFP four months ago, and hope soon to no longer be in the obese category.

My main trouble now is that my doctor is worried my sugar is too low - he believes tight control is dangerous. Since my glucose has never dropped below 70, I disagree, but I'm not in a position insurance-wise to doctor shop.
  • jphilli1979
    jphilli1979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Jamie. I was diagnosed with T2D almost a year ago, though my doctor was probably really just putting off giving me an official diagnosis for years. But, as it was starting to affect my liver, we had to do something. I took Metformin for about 3 months, but it made me very sick. I've been on Januvia for the last 6 months, but even with meal planning and more physical activity my weight had remained the same and my A1C had shot back up. Since I've made a good habitual change of drinking at least 1/2 gallon of water every day my doctor was willing to try a prescription for Jardiance. I'm hoping that, and maybe a little more research into better meal planning, will help me maintain a steady weight loss and reduce my A1C. But something just isn't working.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to T2, but have been using MFP since Jan 2013. I was just diagnosed T2 this past week. It was a surprise, but it wasn't. Both sides of my family ahve the T2, and my mother lost one of her brothers to T1 back the 40's. So I knew it was in the DNA. I also deal with PCOS, and now menopause. So, here I am.
    I had recently lost 60 pounds in the winter of 14. I wasn't even trying. I was playing with eating low carb/high protein for breakfast back then. I lost 27 lbs and didn't even know it.
    I then decided it was time to get back to MFP and get busy. Now I am up to 60lb loss...

Recently, as of 4/26/17, I was dx'd with high B/P. I had NEVER really even had BP till then. I think the menopause is messing with things. A lot. I was just getting that under control and the labs cam back. Dr says T2. She was planning on immediately putting me on insulin shots. Then she switched to Janumet. Same appt. I went to pick it up...$466.00 ...!!!!!
    I am unemployed. No insurance. DH and I are doing cash only, and I have been going through the process of pre-divorce. Very hard to keep the stress levels down at the moment.

So, I came back to the community board here to see what other kinds of emotional and moral support I can find. I need to learn the T2 thing now too. :/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    Hello all! I am new to T2, but have been using MFP since Jan 2013. I was just diagnosed T2 this past week. It was a surprise, but it wasn't. Both sides of my family ahve the T2, and my mother lost one of her brothers to T1 back the 40's. So I knew it was in the DNA. I also deal with PCOS, and now menopause. So, here I am.
    I had recently lost 60 pounds in the winter of 14. I wasn't even trying. I was playing with eating low carb/high protein for breakfast back then. I lost 27 lbs and didn't even know it.
    I then decided it was time to get back to MFP and get busy. Now I am up to 60lb loss...

Recently, as of 4/26/17, I was dx'd with high B/P. I had NEVER really even had BP till then. I think the menopause is messing with things. A lot. I was just getting that under control and the labs cam back. Dr says T2. She was planning on immediately putting me on insulin shots. Then she switched to Janumet. Same appt. I went to pick it up...$466.00 ...!!!!!
    I am unemployed. No insurance. DH and I are doing cash only, and I have been going through the process of pre-divorce. Very hard to keep the stress levels down at the moment.

So, I came back to the community board here to see what other kinds of emotional and moral support I can find. I need to learn the T2 thing now too. :/

You have my sympathy. I'm in a similar boat with the insurance - husband and I are both self-employed and used to have good insurance until our rates were tripled - we don't fall into the income range to get any help from the exchange market - and the level we can afford doesn't cover anything anyway. Fortunately my doctors have been really cool about prescribing drugs which have older generic versions and Walgreens has a good program which makes them cheap. It took six months but exercise and diet have gotten me to the point where my doctor has taken me off everything but metformin now, and my blood pressure is 115/75, down from 130 something over 90 something. Everyone is different, but hopefully lifestyle changes can do some good for you too. And at least the menopause should put a stop to the pcos!

Don't be shy about telling your doctor your money issues. Doctors see a lot of patients and don't always remember who is self-pay. Sometimes they can help with samples, or help you find programs to get what you need. Also ask the front office if they offer a self-pay discount because they don't have to deal with paperwork - at my gyn it's 40% if you self pay at the time of the visit.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply rhedmobile. I told the Dr office up front that I am self pay, but am planning on reminding her at the next appt.
  • Astoriagallife
    Astoriagallife Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have had T2 for years, but have not managed my diabetes well during that time. Just recently I had a emergency trip to the eye Dr for "strobe" like flashes. While he was examining me he noticed some retinal inflammation in the other eye...six weeks later no more flashes, but still an inflammation. Monday, I will be visiting a retinologist to see about treatment. All this has been a wake-up call for me and I have been managing my numbers.
    At first I was just adding more insulin to cover my food...that worked, but I didn't feel good...tired, fuzzy brain, and achy. Just a week ago I started a LCHF diet. This diet has resulted in the elimination of 45-60 units of humalog daily, a reduction of my daily lantus from 28 units to 20 units.
    I hope to go in for new lab work in 6 weeks to see a new a1c result.
  • wilmadouglas3546
    wilmadouglas3546 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone T2 for 10 years and not controlled need lots of help.