New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @rheddmobile I have never heard of LADA before, but sounds VERY SCARY. My last A1c was calculated at 384 (not 500) but closer to 400. Either way, probably not good, right? At least according to my Ob/gyn, she was worried for me. So that's what I get confused about. Are people checking this A1c or bg=blood glucose right? Then how do you know which Monitor to get? I mean one that works really well, especially for beginners like me. This us probably why my Primary told me NOT to worry about testing right now, because I'd be confused, but now my Ob wants me to check. I'm frustrated, but I also don't feel good, so....

What you want to measure at home is blood glucose. A1c is something that only changes every 3 or 4 months, so that gets measured in a doctor’s office. A1c is a smaller number than blood glucose - normal is I think under 5.3 and controlled is under 7. When I was diagnosed my a1c was 11, which means my blood glucose was averaging in the 200s the whole time. It was your blood glucose that was 384, your a1c is probably somewhere in double digits.

A1c gives a picture of what your blood glucose has been like for several months.

The way it works is, when you have high blood glucose, sugar molecules stick to the red blood cells. This happens normally but more often the higher your glucose is. So, a1c is just the percentage of blood cells that have a sugar stuck to them. Since blood cells live about three or four months, the reading will tell you an average of what your sugar has been like during that time.

So, home glucose testing:

The Walmart house brand monitor isn’t the most reliable but not the worst either. Even the best finger stick monitors have an error range of about ten percent so it’s not that touchy. It’s more important to get one that is easy to use with inexpensive strips. I like the Bayer contour next, with strips bought on Amazon, but the Walmart relion is just fine.

The main trick to getting an accurate reading is to wash your hands and dry them well. If you don’t have water, use an alcohol pad and make sure your finger is dry. You don’t want hand cream or orange juice in your reading! I assume your testing kit came with a finger stick device - if it freaks you out sticking your finger, get someone else to do it for a while. You will get used to it!

384 is a super bad number. Mine was 272 when I was diagnosed and I felt terrible. The good news is, you can definitely get this number under control and then you will feel so much better.

So, what is your blood glucose like right now? That’s as good a place as any to start.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    FWIW, I went from a normal fasting glucose number at one doctor's appointment to a fasting number in the 300's and an A1C in the 13's at the next one. That was just from one appointment to another. I use the Walmart Relion. My doctor gave me another one at diagnosis, but the strips were very expensive. The Relion seems to predict pretty closely the A1C that I will get that from the blood draw with my doctor's appointment.

You get used to the finger pricks.
  • sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member

Hi I a Sandra from California born and raised. I was diagnosed with T 1.5 March 2013 my A1c at the time was 14 and my B/S 500 my Dr. at the time put me on Metformin only which didn't bring down my B/S much. I got a new doctor and she put me on insulin Humulin N and R plus Metformin

my A1c now is between 7.1 & 7.5

I am following the diabetic diet it is hard to keep meals at 45 carbs and snacks at 15 but I need to do it.

• CuthulusMom
    CuthulusMom Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all, have been a T2 for 30 yrs. Sometimes I have great control other times not. Can lose weight, but gain it back plus more. It's always a struggle, don't want to end up like a family member and be on dialysis.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi all, have been a T2 for 30 yrs. Sometimes I have great control other times not. Can lose weight, but gain it back plus more. It's always a struggle, don't want to end up like a family member and be on dialysis.

I know I don't want to end up on dialysis either.
  • CuthulusMom
    CuthulusMom Posts: 3 Member
    Day 2 of using this app. so far so good. I've used something like this in the past, but it really didn't have very much info, glad to see things have moved into the 21st century B)
  • 2t9nty
    edited November 2021
    I have personally found the forums to be a big help to me. When I was just diagnosed, I was really in a bad place. The Diabetes Association diet with metformin did not seem to be helping. I really did not understand how to check my BG.

Welcome!
  • Hi Everyone.

I hope everyone is happy and living their best life.

In the past month I have been diagnosed with a number of health issues which started with Fibromyalgia.

Wednesday last week I found out that I have Type 2 diabetes along with very high cholesterol and triglycerides, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. It was like a sucker punch to the gut and a sharp slap to the face. Although I'm being treated as an urgent case by our amazing NHS, I need to get my life and health in order.

While I attend my various appointment in the coming weeks, I wanted, with the blessing of my GP, to get the ball rolling on my healthier lifestyle.

I would absolutely love to make lots of friends within this group that I can hopefully ask the odd question of. In return I will be a source of encouragement, support and, when appropriate, a means of a good giggle.

Thanks for reading my annoyingly long post...sorry :#

Stay safe and stay well.

Michelle x
  • 2t9nty
    Welcome! You got the wakeup call. No time like the present to get started!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hi Everyone.

I hope everyone is happy and living their best life.

In the past month I have been diagnosed with a number of health issues which started with Fibromyalgia.

Wednesday last week I found out that I have Type 2 diabetes along with very high cholesterol and triglycerides, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. It was like a sucker punch to the gut and a sharp slap to the face. Although I'm being treated as an urgent case by our amazing NHS, I need to get my life and health in order.

While I attend my various appointment in the coming weeks, I wanted, with the blessing of my GP, to get the ball rolling on my healthier lifestyle.

I would absolutely love to make lots of friends within this group that I can hopefully ask the odd question of. In return I will be a source of encouragement, support and, when appropriate, a means of a good giggle.

Thanks for reading my annoyingly long post...sorry :#

Stay safe and stay well.

Michelle x

I can see how the fibro and arthritis would start the ball rolling on the rest of the problems - pain and fatigue makes it so hard to exercise, and being sedentary raises lipids, bp, and the risk of diabetes. Sorry you are dealing with all this!

I have lupus as well as diabetes and some experience exercising through autoimmune problems. My advice is to do as much as you can at any given moment, set a bare minimum for yourself, and try to do a little more every day. If you don’t use it, you lose it. You got this, best of luck to you.
  • I have known about my T2 diabetes since I was 28.. in 2002. I went to a health fair, and it was 526 mg/dL. I was 361 lbs. on a 5'6" frame, yet my doctor never tested me for diabetes. I was diagnosed with CHF, and Atrial Fibrillation, so they focused on the heart more. I got my first ICD ( pacemaker/defibrillator ) in 2004 @ 30 yo.

I tried and failed the recommended diet.. carbs make me binge, and didn't improve much until 2010, when I read the Atkins book. I lost a bunch of weight.. 120 lbs. in the next 3 months, started feeling great, got off ALL my 2000 mg Metformin & Actos, and had A1C's of 5-5.5 for 5 years.. until 2016. Then I started eating more carbs, and the weight and BG started climbing again. I fought my doctors for a couple years, then went back on meds, then fought the for a couple more, until they put me on basal Inulin.. my A1C's were 7, 8, then 9.6. , and I was back up to 280-300.

So I went on Carnivore, and lost weight, and my numbers have improved. My brother has issues with his BG, and a leg wound, so I am starting Keto/Atkins Induction levels again.. means I am adding back in vegetables. I went to eat at a restaurant last night, and ate lasagna, with garlic toast, a clam chowder soup, and 2 Pepsi's. I couldn't finish the lasagna, so I went for a ride to let my stomach digest what I DID eat.. and then hit the 7-11. I had three 18 oz. sweet teas, a half Mounds bar, and some Hunter sausage ( 2 sticks ) I couldn't finish that either.. I think I got it all out, after 83 days without anything but meat, fish, fowl, butter, eggs, and water.

So I started on 20 NET carbs today.. my BG was 214.. which is very high for me. I no longer get 500-800 BG readings, but this is high, while on Glimiperide, Farxiga in the morning, and Januvia at night ( low doses ), and 15 units of basal Inulin before bedtime. Before lunch, it was down to 158, and before dinner, it is 107. Hopefully, I can stick to this, and get my A1C's back to normal, and continue losing weight.

• 2t9nty
    I have known about my T2 diabetes since I was 28.. in 2002. I went to a health fair, and it was 526 mg/dL. I was 361 lbs. on a 5'6" frame, yet my doctor never tested me for diabetes. I was diagnosed with CHF, and Atrial Fibrillation, so they focused on the heart more. I got my first ICD ( pacemaker/defibrillator ) in 2004 @ 30 yo.

I tried and failed the recommended diet.. carbs make me binge, and didn't improve much until 2010, when I read the Atkins book. I lost a bunch of weight.. 120 lbs. in the next 3 months, started feeling great, got off ALL my 2000 mg Metformin & Actos, and had A1C's of 5-5.5 for 5 years.. until 2016. Then I started eating more carbs, and the weight and BG started climbing again. I fought my doctors for a couple years, then went back on meds, then fought the for a couple more, until they put me on basal Inulin.. my A1C's were 7, 8, then 9.6. , and I was back up to 280-300.

So I went on Carnivore, and lost weight, and my numbers have improved. My brother has issues with his BG, and a leg wound, so I am starting Keto/Atkins Induction levels again.. means I am adding back in vegetables. I went to eat at a restaurant last night, and ate lasagna, with garlic toast, a clam chowder soup, and 2 Pepsi's. I couldn't finish the lasagna, so I went for a ride to let my stomach digest what I DID eat.. and then hit the 7-11. I had three 18 oz. sweet teas, a half Mounds bar, and some Hunter sausage ( 2 sticks ) I couldn't finish that either.. I think I got it all out, after 83 days without anything but meat, fish, fowl, butter, eggs, and water.

So I started on 20 NET carbs today.. my BG was 214.. which is very high for me. I no longer get 500-800 BG readings, but this is high, while on Glimiperide, Farxiga in the morning, and Januvia at night ( low doses ), and 15 units of basal Inulin before bedtime. Before lunch, it was down to 158, and before dinner, it is 107. Hopefully, I can stick to this, and get my A1C's back to normal, and continue losing weight.

Basically you have to figure out the combo you can live with. 20 net is "doable" for me. Some people find it helpful to log a food diary just for the sake of accountability. I have noticed a lot of them drop off the radar between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so maybe the accountability there does not always work well. Good luck to you!
  • bbkhayes47
    bbkhayes47 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm Bruce (aka: Bear). I was diagnosed with T2 in 2014, along with the other metabolic issues: Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Hypertriglyceridemia and Hypogonadism. Have worked very hard to try keep everything under control, but because of out-of-pocket cost had to stop some medications. I have just recently been awarded in grant through the Lilly foundation and have recently started Trulicity. I have requested Diabetes training and diet consultation to get back on track. I am now trying to better track my food intake and BG. I have also started walking 3 miles, 5 time a week and hope to add strength training soon. Would love to find some accountability partners in this group.
  • 2t9nty
    You are on the right track. Props to you! Do you keep a food diary on MFP. If you do, send me a friend invitation. The logging helps a lot of people with the accountability.
  • Bac7394
    Bac7394 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I’m Bev. Canadian, so use different # from US. Just diagnosed T2. A1C and Fasting glucose at the lower end of abnormal (that is, not too bad, but still bad 😦.). I am interested in the low carb/ ketoish way of eating as well as time restricted eating. Also interested in general tips on what to do now.
    Thanks you guys!
  • 2t9nty
    Bac7394 wrote: »
    Hello, I’m Bev. Canadian, so use different # from US. Just diagnosed T2. A1C and Fasting glucose at the lower end of abnormal (that is, not too bad, but still bad 😦.). I am interested in the low carb/ ketoish way of eating as well as time restricted eating. Also interested in general tips on what to do now.
    Thanks you guys!

Are you checking glucose levels? That gives really good feedback.

I would set a limit in MFP of 50 maybe to start to see how workable it is for you. I have a hard limit of 20 and I am usually under 10 a day. This has all worked very well for me, and I find it an easy and satisfying way to eat. I log everything, and you are welcome to friend me if you think it would be a help to see what the day looks like for me.
  • neffybetty
    neffybetty Posts: 26 Member
    Hi I'm new and I have type 2 diabetes. Or just really high blood sugar. I'm on 2000mg of metformin a day. I don't have to check my blood sugar thankfully. I'm from New Zealand. Feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • 2t9nty
    neffybetty wrote: »
    Hi I'm new and I have type 2 diabetes. Or just really high blood sugar. I'm on 2000mg of metformin a day. I don't have to check my blood sugar thankfully. I'm from New Zealand. Feel free to add me as a friend :-)

Welcome!
  • Vraie2017
    Vraie2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi I also have type 2 diabetes. Have tried many different ways of eating. Now doing low carb. Which is helping my daily numbers a lot!
  • Vraie2017
    Vraie2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Maybe we should start a diabetic support group?