Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    April 18
    Exercised: Yes (4km in 32 mins - hills)
    Tracked: Yes
    Budget: No (but intentional)

Shorter walk interrupted by a phone call.

Phone call was from the person who was best man at my wedding. Was good to catch up. They had heard about my eye and the tough time I have been having and called to check if I was OK. Connections are so important.
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    allietuge
    Week 3
    PW 165.6
    CW 167.3
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    lacatgirl wrote: »
    April 18

Covid has been a bit of a wakeup call for me. It hit me that I have three underlying conditions and if I get it I might not make it. I can give myself the best chance by getting in shape.

I keep going back to a book "eat to live" by Dr. Fuhrman. It is a super healthy eating plan cutting out all empty foods to give the best possible nutrition. In the past, I have tried to adopt this eating plan several times over the years and always had an excuse, not enough time to shop, cook etc! It occurred to me that this quarantine is actually the perfect time to make this change. We are getting groceries from an organic store with excellent produce. I have plenty of time to cook and exercise..really no excuse!

I was feeling so helpless, just sitting here waiting to get sick. It feels really good to be able to do something proactive.

I tried Dr Fuhrman's Nutritarian plan about 8 years ago, hoping to make it my lifestyle. I couldn't continue past the third month because a) i was craving oil, I was actually dreaming about having olive oil on my salads:), 2) the plan is plant-based: very limited animal protein is allowed and eggs are definitely a no-no. I have chickens because I love eggs:)

I tried his plan again 2 years ago, right after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I felt very healthy on it, but again i also felt deprived of my olive oil, eggs, and feta cheese to a point that I was thinking about food all the time. So I gave up after 2 months..

I love his approach: no processed foods, all organic produce, no added sugar, lots of nutrition-dense meals, no snacking,... but I think he is too strict on oil. He basically doesnt allow any fats besides avocados and nuts/seeds. Definitely no olive oil. I had to saute onions in water. I made my own salad dressing by mixing vinegar, spices, garlic, and walnuts in the blender. Turned out pretty good. But I'm from Turkey, I need my olive oil and feta cheese, please!

He has a wonderful plan called 10 in 20. If you purchase that, you have access to his website where you can ask questions to staff nutritionists (and where you can find hundreds of nutritarian recipes) for a year. At least, that was the case 2 years ago. I enjoyed his website very much.

Good luck on your journey. His vegetarian gumbo and overnight oatmeal recipes are the bomb, btw!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 18

Covid has been a bit of a wakeup call for me. It hit me that I have three underlying conditions and if I get it I might not make it. I can give myself the best chance by getting in shape.

I keep going back to a book "eat to live" by Dr. Fuhrman. It is a super healthy eating plan cutting out all empty foods to give the best possible nutrition. In the past, I have tried to adopt this eating plan several times over the years and always had an excuse, not enough time to shop, cook etc! It occurred to me that this quarantine is actually the perfect time to make this change. We are getting groceries from an organic store with excellent produce. I have plenty of time to cook and exercise..really no excuse!

I was feeling so helpless, just sitting here waiting to get sick. It feels really good to be able to do something proactive.
    @lacatgirl. COVID-19 is supposed to add increased stress a number of systems, particularly the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Any pre-existing condition in these systems increases your chance of complications.

Cutting out entire food groups is rarely healthy and often long term unsustainable. However, making small incremental changes that you can sustain often has the greatest benefit and best chance of sustainability.

The two changes I made that had the biggest impact, by far, was eliminate snacking (no food between meals) and reducing sugar intake (note, not eliminating, just reducing). These two alone were enough to make a substantial positive difference.

While also losing weight I experimented with bodily reactions to different food types. I found I was gluten sensitive. I though, worked and felt better when I did not have gluten. So now my diet is also largely gluten free.

Daily exercise is also beneficial. Not only for cardiovascular health and overall strength, but mental well being as well. Does not have to be difficult or complicated. The activity I do is walking. Requires no special equipment or clothes. Can be done anywhere.

Now is the ideal to time to make change. While your routines are being re-established. If you can stick with a new routine for 3 weeks, it is highly likely to become habit.

Make healthy habits, and let your habits make you.

Best of luck.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Resending incase you didn't see it..

Matthewsfive
    Saturday Week 3
    PW 161.8
    CW 160.8

Happy with that,150's I'm coming for you
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    farahejaz wrote: »
    Username: fe452436
    April week 3
    PW:213 lbs
    CW:213 lbs

Hello! I think you posted in the wrong group. Thanks!
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    Morning! It's Sunday. Make today the best you can.
    Weigh in from:
    @mcfc_katie
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 19
    Exercised: Yes (7.5km in 65 mins - hills)
    Budget: Yes

Longer walk, finished in the dark.

Had short walk with daughter before my longer walk. With the current restrictions, she is more out of shape than usual. Also her mental state was not good today.

Plan for tomorrow is to donate blood.
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    April 18

I tried Dr Fuhrman's Nutritarian plan about 8 years ago, hoping to make it my lifestyle. I couldn't continue past the third month because a) i was craving oil, I was actually dreaming about having olive oil on my salads:), 2) the plan is plant-based: very limited animal protein is allowed and eggs are definitely a no-no. I have chickens because I love eggs:)

I tried his plan again 2 years ago, right after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I felt very healthy on it, but again i also felt deprived of my olive oil, eggs, and feta cheese to a point that I was thinking about food all the time. So I gave up after 2 months..

I love his approach: no processed foods, all organic produce, no added sugar, lots of nutrition-dense meals, no snacking,... but I think he is too strict on oil. He basically doesnt allow any fats besides avocados and nuts/seeds. Definitely no olive oil. I had to saute onions in water. I made my own salad dressing by mixing vinegar, spices, garlic, and walnuts in the blender. Turned out pretty good. But I'm from Turkey, I need my olive oil and feta cheese, please!

He has a wonderful plan called 10 in 20. If you purchase that, you have access to his website where you can ask questions to staff nutritionists (and where you can find hundreds of nutritarian recipes) for a year. At least, that was the case 2 years ago. I enjoyed his website very much.

Good luck on your journey. His vegetarian gumbo and overnight oatmeal recipes are the bomb, btw!

I agree it is hard to follow. I am not someone who does well with deprivation so I am trying to eat his way most of the time. I know what you mean about olive oil - my mom was Sicilian. I have been using the olive oil spray which goes far with little calories. I am also not giving up blue cheese but I try to use it as a condiment! I guess I will try this moderate approach to it while still counting calories and see how it goes. I agree with his whole premise but it is a bit to extreme for me as well!
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    April 18

@lacatgirl. COVID-19 is supposed to add increased stress a number of systems, particularly the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Any pre-existing condition in these systems increases your chance of complications.

Cutting out entire food groups is rarely healthy and often long term unsustainable. However, making small incremental changes that you can sustain often has the greatest benefit and best chance of sustainability.

The two changes I made that had the biggest impact, by far, was eliminate snacking (no food between meals) and reducing sugar intake (note, not eliminating, just reducing). These two alone were enough to make a substantial positive difference.

While also losing weight I experimented with bodily reactions to different food types. I found I was gluten sensitive. I though, worked and felt better when I did not have gluten. So now my diet is also largely gluten free.

Daily exercise is also beneficial. Not only for cardiovascular health and overall strength, but mental well being as well. Does not have to be difficult or complicated. The activity I do is walking. Requires no special equipment or clothes. Can be done anywhere.

Now is the ideal to time to make change. While your routines are being re-established. If you can stick with a new routine for 3 weeks, it is highly likely to become habit.

Make healthy habits, and let your habits make you.

Best of luck.

Thank you! I am feeling positive and I agree that if I cut out all the foods in Dr. Fuhrmans plan I will surely fall off the wagon!

Went hiking today- which I loved. This is another thing that I gave up at some point. It was great to be back in the woods!
  • glouis4
    glouis4 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Vent Minute: These last couple of days have been rough as I haven't been able to sleep. It has been 27 days since I have applied for unemployment, and it has not been approved (yet). I had been managing well with exercise and keeping busy as distractions, but family and friends have stressing me about money til it has troubled me in my sleep.

Result: been eating/craving copious amounts of junk cause I'm stressed, anxious and sleep deprived. But I will work on managing better this week, as ruminating is a bigger problem than the actual problems
  • mcfc_katie
    mcfc_katie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mcfc_katie
    April week 4
    PW 192
    CW 194
    😢 not sure what's going on, I've exercised all week and stuck within my calories and ate well. Hopefully next week will he much better
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    As I was still coughing after a few weeks and being a health worker, I was tested on Saturday for Covid 19. Got my result this morning and it was negative thankfully. I had a lot of people praying for me. I also feel quite a bit better, so I hope to get myself back to regular exercise again.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    glouis4 wrote: »
    Vent Minute: These last couple of days have been rough as I haven't been able to sleep. It has been 27 days since I have applied for unemployment, and it has not been approved (yet). I had been managing well with exercise and keeping busy as distractions, but family and friends have stressing me about money til it has troubled me in my sleep.

Result: been eating/craving copious amounts of junk cause I'm stressed, anxious and sleep deprived. But I will work on managing better this week, as ruminating is a bigger problem than the actual problems

I am so sorry. Unemployment in the US is a mess; the system shouldn't be 50 little systems. It should be one system (federal) that has the infrastructure to perform. I am sure this is very stressful; it will come but the interim is hard. Control what you can and stay strong!
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    Colleen790 wrote: »
    As I was still coughing after a few weeks and being a health worker, I was tested on Saturday for Covid 19. Got my result this morning and it was negative thankfully. I had a lot of people praying for me. I also feel quite a bit better, so I hope to get myself back to regular exercise again.

I am shocked it took that long to test you! Yikes! We need more tests! I am so glad you were negative!
  • Colleen790
    Options
    Colleen790 wrote: »

I am shocked it took that long to test you! Yikes! We need more tests! I am so glad you were negative!

Thanks. I didn't have a temperature or sore throat (classic symptoms)and it is bronchitis but I had to be sure.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 20
    Exercised: Yes (20 mins bodyweight exercise)
    Budget: Yes

Morning meetings, then afternoon appointment to give blood, so no walk. Did bodyweight exercises this morning as I knew getting out would be difficult and not recommended after blood donation.

Donation did not go as planned. When reviewing my recent history, I was told I would not be able to donate blood. TIA is a permanent exclusion category.
  • swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Donation did not go as planned. When reviewing my recent history, I was told I would not be able to donate blood. TIA is a permanent exclusion category.[/quote]

@craigo3154 forgive me pls. What is TIA?
  • craigo3154
    Options
    swauters wrote: »

Donation did not go as planned. When reviewing my recent history, I was told I would not be able to donate blood. TIA is a permanent exclusion category.

@craigo3154 forgive me pls. What is TIA?
    [/quote]

@swauters. Thank you for asking. You are the first to ask.

TIA is transient ischaemic attack. Also known as stroke or mini-stroke.

The branch artery occlusion in my right eye (putting a permanent shadow in my peripheral vision) is classed as a mini-stroke. This painless, almost missable event, has profound flow on effects and restrictions.
  • Colleen790
    Options
    April 21
    Exercised? Some slow walking
    Calories? Yes in budget
    Tracked? Yes
This discussion has been closed.