Active April Challenge 2020

Replies

• amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    @baconslave how about Move More May? Most of us will continue to have limited options all around, but I am finding the opportunity to move is very encouraging and it can be adapted to whatever your situation. Thank you for doing this. I mostly read here, but I feel very engaged with everyones stories these days.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    I like Move More May. I was going to say Motivated May but I like Move more better, since that has been my issue for April. Thanks for planning ahead. I really like this accountability
  • vkrenz
    Check in 4/21

1. >15,000 steps daily (Fitbit data). I just made it over goal. I had to walk in my living room for almost 2,000 steps but the feeling of success was worth it
    2. > 3,000 calories burned daily (Fitbit data). Just made it over goal
    3. Low carb < 35 net and low calorie < 1,500 day. Well under on both.
    4. Close the active ring on Fitbit. I did it! I wonder if I can do it 2 days in a row, I'm going to give it a shot.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    April 12: 25 minute walk
    April 13: 30 minute walk
    April 17: 120 minutes heavy cleaning
    April 18: 50 minutes walking and 10 minutes tap dancing
    April 21: 45 minute walk & 30 minutes light cleaning.

April 22 (today): 1:37 walk through Irvington neighborhood. Map courtesy of Portland city government. They have a whole list of scenic neighborhood walks throughout the city, with notable sights marked. This increases my knowledge of the various areas. I enjoyed my outing very much and could have walked longer. My pace was relatively slow, because I kept pausing, looking for photo ops. Glad I had my umbrella, because it really was pouring at one point. I count 90 minutes. It was 2.5 miles. Now for my first meal of the day.
  • MistressPi
    4/21 Check in:
    1-4 ✔

1. Mini Break workouts (10 min x 4, 5 times)
    2. Eat low carb
    3. Limit drinks to weekends
    4. Close all 3rings on Apple Watch (stand, move, exercise) daily

It was so cold and windy yesterday, I chickened out and didn't step outside. I did do elliptical session twice and got 5 mini workouts in total.
    I also adjusted my macros back and lowered the carbs down. I am going to try keeping it low (10%) and see if I can kick start burning BF again.

@mistressPi, curious about the (coconut flour) bread. Got a recipe to share?

No, it was not a successful recipe. I followed it exactly, but the damn thing didn't rise AT ALL even though I used fresh baking powder and the right size loaf pan. And the recipe used SEVEN eggs, so I'm pretty annoyed. Now I have to figure out what to do with the remainder of the loaf. I don't know if it'll make good croutons. Melba toast? I could possibly make a bread pudding out of it. I do have a successful recipe for coconut flour SF pumpkin muffins, though, if you're interested. :) And I've got a couple of successful recipes that I pinned on Pinterest that I also recommend, although I'm pretty sure they're not exclusively coconut flour.
  • MistressPi
    edited April 2020
    baconslave wrote: »
    supergal3 wrote: »
    4/22
    Still back on track, albeit not a very low carb one. Decided this is my new normal for now and I just have to deal with it. Calories are low enough to keep weight stable and activity comes and goes with the weather! We all just have to accept what we have going on now and work with it as best we can. Would love to see a few higher temps!

I have the same issue off and on right now. We have 6 or 7 to feed in this house,depending on my Dad, two of which are teenagers, and we had 4 chicken breasts for dinner as we're rationing meat a bit since it's been just too expensive to buy for our tastes. So I ended up with more carbs. Low enough calories still. If it were up to me I'd buy the meat, but DH just can't force himself to pay the greater expense on principle. :joy: So I make do. It won't be forever.

You sound like you are doing great in spite of the challenges. We have to just keep swimming. :smile:

@baconslave I'm curious: how much does it cost where you are? Our local Kroger outfit has whole chickens (Heritage brand) for $0.99/lb, and Foster Farms family pack drumsticks for $1.99/lb. But this grocery is by no means the cheapest in the area...
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    MistressPi wrote: »

@baconslave I'm curious: how much does it cost where you are? Our local Kroger outfit has whole chickens (Heritage brand) for $0.99/lb, and Foster Farms family pack drumsticks for $1.99/lb. But this grocery is by no means the cheapest in the area...

WOW, that is cheap! Whole chicken in my area (Cleveland, OH) is about $3-4/lbs. Chicken drumsticks are cheap around $1.50-$2/lb.

But lately, I don't see any chicken on the shelf when I go. Lots of pork and sausages... Just finished the Chicken thigh big pack I scored last time I wend shopping. I miss Salmon & Tuna.
  • weatherking2019
    4/22 Check in:
    1-4 ✔

2. Eat low carb

It was another cold day, I did elliptical session twice and got 6 mini workouts in total! (trying to keep myself warm working in the basement too.)
    I did pretty good with Carbs at 66g. I'd like to try to get it lower. Learning keto again.

@mistressPi, Thx for letting me know about the coconut bread recipe! lol I know its harder using coconut flour than almond. I still have yet to find a good one.
    @baconslave , I like the Move More May too. I gotta keep the momentum going, whether or not I am going back to the office next month. (It will be hard to do the 10min workout break at the office...)
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    4/22 check in:
    Another good day of almost 21k steps that included a treadmill sesh in the morning. Calories were good until the evening which took me way over on carbs but it was worth it. Back at it today though.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited April 2020
    MistressPi wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    supergal3 wrote: »
    4/22
    Still back on track, albeit not a very low carb one. Decided this is my new normal for now and I just have to deal with it. Calories are low enough to keep weight stable and activity comes and goes with the weather! We all just have to accept what we have going on now and work with it as best we can. Would love to see a few higher temps!

I have the same issue off and on right now. We have 6 or 7 to feed in this house,depending on my Dad, two of which are teenagers, and we had 4 chicken breasts for dinner as we're rationing meat a bit since it's been just too expensive to buy for our tastes. So I ended up with more carbs. Low enough calories still. If it were up to me I'd buy the meat, but DH just can't force himself to pay the greater expense on principle. :joy: So I make do. It won't be forever.

You sound like you are doing great in spite of the challenges. We have to just keep swimming. :smile:

That's how pricing used to look before COVID-19 hit at our Kroger.
    Hubby insists on doing all the grocery stuff always. Which is not necessary as I know how to shop and be thrifty, but he can be more than a bit of a control freak so he insists. Like to the point that he loads the dishwasher b/c he is basically better at dish-Tetris than I am, or something. :joy: I have enough to do with homeschooling and other clean-up so he can go right ahead! I'll ask him. Some of it is still having empty spots on the shelves. Though margarine was the only thing he said was missing that he was looking for. We had COVID clusters in 2 Tyson plants here in TN, but we usually end up getting Heritage Farms stuff anyway, so that wouldn't necessarily affect us.

All I saw in the paper for meat (over his shoulder) was steak at almost $6 a pound and pork loin is $1.79/lb which pretty much guarantees we're having pork this week. He should get 2 loins but he's careful not to take too much right now so others have meat. The weekly says Chops for $3.49/lb. Bacon on sale for $3.99/package. Sacrilege! A 10lb bag of chicken leg quarters at $.49/lb this time finally, though I don't know if he'll grab at that. He just gets food and then we figure out what to do with it. Whatever. He has many plans in his head he doesn't share. After 20 years the path of least resistance is my go-to. It's not a dealbreaker. I'm serious when I say that I've almost been in this house for 40 days. I think Friday makes it 40. ugh. 40 days and 40 nights. :lol:
  • baconslave
    ok. Well Move More May will do. I'll ponder that,

4/22:
    I looked at the weather forecast and there's a lot of rain coming my way. So I went for a yard hike to exploit my last sunshine for days instead of strength. I don't know why in the eternal hades that my lower back keeps being a turd, though there's always the fact that I broke my tailbone at age 10 and nothing has ever been right since. They were less than interested in investigating it and since I lost all the weight, it hasn't acted up much. Except for now. Not sure what, but it can't keep me down. So all that blah blah to say I moved strength and the resistance bands to today.

• vkrenz
    Check in 4/22.

1. >15,000 steps daily (Fitbit data). Darn, didn't make it. It rained last evening so I tried to walk in place in my living room but only got to 14,000 before my calves were cramping up.
    2. > 3,000 calories burned daily (Fitbit data). Almost made it!
    3. Low carb < 35 net and low calorie < 1,500 day. Well under on both.
    4. Close the active ring on Fitbit. Success.

We only have 7 full days to go and April will be behind us. Praying the COVID will also be a memory soon.
  • vkrenz
    Check in 4/23

1. >15,000 steps daily (Fitbit data). I was able to go on the long walk outside in the evening so I didn't have to walk in place in my living room.
    2. > 3,000 calories burned daily (Fitbit data). Blew past goal at 3,500 burned
    3. Low carb < 35 net and low calorie < 1,500 day. Way under calories but a bit over carbs
    4. Close the active ring on Fitbit. Got it!

Keep up the good work everyone! I'm hopeful for closing out this month strong.
  • taylok23
    edited April 2020
    4/23 check in:
    Although it was a dreary, rainy day, I stayed active and closed my rings. Steps weren’t as high as normal but instead of steps, I jumped on the recumbent bike between meetings for something different. Carbs were higher than normal but I kept calories in check and finished the day well. It’s crazy how some days go so well and others are such a struggle. And I’ve been at this a while.
  • baconslave
    4/23:
    Done twice: https://hasfit.com/workouts/home/strength-weight-training/30-minute-full-body-resistance-band-workout/
    Warm-up and cool down only done once though, of course.
  • weatherking2019
    Well done @baconslave !

4/23 Check in:
    1-4 ✔

2. Eat low carb

I did pretty good with Carbs at 41g yesterday! Checking out bunch of ideas online to get back into the Keto cooking. And to drink more water, I started making Green tea and Mint tea ice tea everyday in a pitcher. My goal is to drink that pitcher in a day. (so far close but not quite)
    I been mixing up floor/core work and arm and shoulder plus elliptical. But the elliptical makes too much noise I can't do more than 10-15 min at a time. Time to bust out the WD40 again.

• amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Was thinking about the Move More idea - for everyone who likes a competitive slant to the goals, you can choose some type of number to beat (hence the MORE) whether it be a fixed number, average from last month or last year, a total week or month number... to me it’s an opportunity to challenge myself to outdo something I have already achieved :)
  • baconslave
    amckholmes wrote: »
    Was thinking about the Move More idea - for everyone who likes a competitive slant to the goals, you can choose some type of number to beat (hence the MORE) whether it be a fixed number, average from last month or last year, a total week or month number... to me it’s an opportunity to challenge myself to outdo something I have already achieved :)

Great idea!
  • baconslave
    4/24:
    Leslie vids as it was rainy. About 1hr 15min worth. 11k steps for the day.

• taylok23
    4/24 check in:
    Got in about 17k steps for the day and closed those rings but I under ate at lunch and made up for it at dinner. Also made some bad choices as work went from zero to sixty on the stress meter by day’s end. So today I’m back to eating on plan and may give myself a break on activity and enjoy the sun while it lasts.