WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    have been reading a book on exercise motivation called "No Sweat". So far the big take aways are:

* Pick activity you actually like
    * Break up with the idea that exercise only counts if it meets certain criteria (must be at gym, must be running, must be painful etc.)
    * Research shows that people who exercise for the joy of movement or stress reduction are more likely to exercise regularly compared to people who work out to help them lose weight.

I'm working on focusing on food for the weight loss part and shifting my thinking for exercise to strengthening and the feel good feeling.

I love this idea and totally agree it is effective. Thanks for sharing. I'll check out that book.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all your good wishes. I really appreciate it. Still not 100% yet, but wanted to check in real quick. As I try to get my brain feeling normal again (is that even possible? :p:D ) I am still trying to limit my screen time. I think I will try to get back to logging my food tomorrow if I feel ok. I need to. Although, food is getting scarce here since I haven't been shopping in a few weeks. I think I might need to go tomorrow.

I really miss doing my Pilates, but I have noticed any kind of repeated movement doesn't feel great. Maybe I'll try a short walk if the weather is ok. IDK We'll see. I guess I have established exercise as a habit if I miss it like this. Hope you are all having a great week.

I feel like my fitbit keeps dying. Anyone else have to charge theirs every day? Till tomorrow...
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @eggfreak I love your visual of "garden yoga". But you actually made a good point. I tend to go full steam ahead once I get working outside and it really would be much smarter to take breaks regularly.

Today I took a break from the yard and spent the time getting back on track in the house. But I managed to get in some stretches and core work.
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I haven’t read posts for a day and feel so behind!
    I had no idea lots of people used CBD oil. I’m constantly using ibuprofen for running pain or something and would like to try another option.
    @conleywoods - I love the gems from your book! Can’t wait to see the nutrition info from @YinxFed
    @micki48 - hope you feel better soon. My son has had a few with sports and I know it took him awhile to feel better.
    @jugar - here are my steps numbers for early this week. It is fun to see them add up!
    5/3: 10,919
    5/4: 28,202
    5/5: 11,353
    5/6: 9,276
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    deniners2 wrote: »
    I made it 2 days! I logged my food & was under calories. Too bad I gained 3 lbs beforehand.

Those 3 pounds will be gone if you keep up the good work! Logging is magic o:)

All gone! 1 lb a day. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day, No walk/jog because it was raining a little too much, I thought it was supposed to have lightened up, but it did not, so I did it on the treadmill, it went a little bit better but not much...

I thought since my shoulder was hurting I would do a nice gentle yoga, but I didn't want to do restorative, so I picked Hatha, with a neck boost... Well it wasn't gentle at all, It said on the description, "Skip the chaturanga pushups and get a greater variety of standing poses" well they replaced those chaturangas with side planks, but I am happy to say that the pilates is working cause I did them with no problems, I surprised myself on how easy they were..

So for yesterday my steps were 10,196 with 20 minutes of yoga.

So some good news... Camping and Boating are open again as of today ! So my Memorial day trip is back on... My kayaks are being delivered today, and the fishing center is open today so we can go canoeing as soon as the weather gets better, looks like we might be able to get the canoe out on Sunday for a little bit to make sure it's all good and working properly.. ( Our canoe is a flat back, and has an electric motor on it, so it's more like a little boat, hubby fishes, I read, it's relaxing, I love it)

I have 2 weeks till camping so my goal is to be on track every single day until then.. I'm so excited... It feels good to have something to look forward to !

" I don't focus on what I'm up against, I focus on my goals and try to ignore the rest"

Have a wonderful day !
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the numbers!
    @Gidgitgoescrazy - your yoga = 2,000 so you have a total of 12,196. WTG! And that is fantastic news about your canoe and kayak and camping. Being on the water is always amazing. I hope to go on my fave kayak runs soon if the place is open. I don't have my own kayak so I go through a place that has a fabulous run along a river. Hope it opens this year. In the meantime, photos! Send photos!

@steph1498 - you are giving me a run for my money, for sure! Are those just steps, or have you done the conversion of exercise minutes in there too? If they are all steps, you are one stepping champ!

@eggfreak - what a week o:) you are doing great!

@micki48 - just take your time, enjoy the birdsong, fresh air, and not too much work, ok?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Some time in the next month I'm gonna learn how to use a plasma cutter. I'm weirdly excited.

That's all the news I have. It has been quite calm and quiet around here.
  • jugar
    Options
    It's time for the Thursday night reminder about Friday morning!

Friday weigh-ins due:
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @Steph1498
    @conleywoods
    @evangsimmons170
    @SMcFall0215
    @greywaves
    @CanadianGiraffe

Don't forget to hop on that scale first thing and send in that number, no matter what it is! If it's up, you know what you gotta do. If it's down, do your happy dance and then don't use it as a free ticket to indulgences all day! If it's just the same, keep on keeping on - every week it's a chance to learn how your planning for the past week worked out.

Keep well :heart:
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    jguldi11 wrote: »
    @jugar or @micki48 my steps for 5/5: 6,611
    I also did a Zumba workout on the Wii, which really made me miss the real thing. Can't wait for the quarantine to be over!
    If you tell us how many minutes of Zumba, I can add that to your count for the day! Any intentional exercise can be tracked for your daily count, so just post how many minutes and it will be done :smiley:

Question - I wear my Fitbit during my workouts so it already tracks my exercise steps. Wouldn't that be double dipping to also count the workout minutes in that case?
  • SMcFall0215
    SMcFall0215 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Welp, I am SOOO not happy right now. I have not had sweets in 7 days I have worked out almost everyday this month except 2 andddd my scale said I gained 11 pounds??? Not sure how that is even possible butt I guess extra work this week??.. I have NEVER had a gain of 11 pounds in 1 week!! 🤬🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Has anyone ever had this issue with a Smart scale? It’s the under armour one. A few weeks ago I had a 9 pound loss and now this. Seriously wondering if my scale is really just off and that 9 pound loss never really happened???

PW 156.8
    CW 167.8
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I busted the entire face off my Apple Watch yesterday 😬😫☹️. I’m excited to look for a new system but didn’t realize how much it’s been integrated into my habits - I even tried to put it on this morning.... WTW. So my steps will change significantly until I get a new tracking device. Looking at getting the Fitbit Versa 2. Would anyone recommend theirs?

@jugar - The steps I’ve reported have included my fitness activities like running (prep for half marathon) and hiking and general movement throughout the day. I haven’t included any info Pilates or biking and I’m okay with that. I will report whatever my phone tracks for the next few weeks but I rarely carry it with me during the day.

CW: 164.2
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @jugar would it be possible to move my weigh-in to Monday this next week? I'm going to be out of cell phone range and have no internet access over the weekend.

Steps for 5/6: 9,643
    Steps for 5/7: 2,123

Oh the last 2 days have been a bit stressful with work, and our stay at home order was extended again until at least the end of May 😣

Still logging everything (the good, bad, and ugly) and trying to keep within an hour or 2 of my IF schedule; decided to make yesterday a rest day and I've been well exceeding my step goal the rest of the week so I'm not worried about 1 day.

Have a weekend planned at our family cabin in the middle of no-where. Really excited to disconnect from everything for a couple days. And I'll be doing lots of walking 🌿🌸😁
  • jugar
    Options
    Long day outside today attacking my raspberry canes and moving some strawberries. Also declared war on a dogwood that was taking over my delphiniums. My Mother's Day gift was a new leaf blower and the thing has enough power on high to just about knock me off my feet. So I certainly burned a few calories keeping it in line! Joking aside, I did a Pilates PVR session this evening. I think it has been a pretty good week. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when I weigh in...
    Sounds amazing. I LOVE my leaf blower, in spite of the horrible noise - it makes clean up jobs so much easier, and kind of fun. Hearing protection is top of the list, though! It sure burns some calories - but maybe not as much as endless raking. You are right that you have had a wonderful week!
This discussion has been closed.