Want To Lose 10 Pounds?

Options

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    End of week two recap:

1) Stay within my MFP calorie budget (6 of 7 days)
    2) Keep up with tracking DURING the day instead of catching up at the end of the day (7 of 7 days)
    3) Get in a mid-day walk at least 5 times a week to compensate for how little I move in my offsite work environment. (4 of 5 days)
    4) Get in at least 5,000 steps per day. (6 of 7 days)
    5) Get in 2 strength training sessions per week (2 of 2 done)

Start of Week One Weight: 176 (WW goal is 170)
    Start of Week Two Weight: 175
    Start of Week Two Weight: 174.5

This week was harder since we had a lot of rain (May 2020 is now the wettest in recorded weather history) especially on Sunday which led to a lot of flooding in our area. My anxiety was higher since our rental had gotten flooded back in April 2013. We were fine this time, thank goodness. Other people weren't :(
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I definitely had a good week and am making progress to take off the 10 pounds we all agreed to.

I stuck with my plan of no snacks, no alcohol all week long (with the exception of Tuesday night, which was my birthday--but...I didn't go crazy). Plus, I got in some exercise every day during the week.

Now I just have to continue sticking with the plan!

I'm now down 3.4 pounds from the start of this challenge.

Once again, I think my biggest issue will be Shabbat (Friday night and Saturday lunch). I did pretty well last week, so I plan to repeat what I did (just enough bread for the required blessing, no soup, modest portion of main meals with no seconds, one small dessert, no significant limit on wine [I know, I know, this isn't "perfect"]).

Focus focus focus!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,875 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    20/30 DP
    15/49 WP with rollovers & APs
    4/8/77 AP (used/earned for the day/earned for the week)

Officially down 0.2# Down 6.2# since we started. First time I looked back. Hmmm... not to shabby.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am down 1.0 this week, but up 1.0 overall since the start of the challenge. But, I am not racing. :-)
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Gang! Sounds like everyone is going well with their behaviors!

Despite having a good week, the scale shows a .2 increase. I'm okay with that because I know the tracking and weighing of food was accurate (as accurate as it can be), and I have a pair of jeans that went from being unwearable to just fine on the comfort scale. The scale will catch up to my behaviors. I feel really good about this past week, so that number will not get me down.

I still need to start the exercise.

I need to eat more veggies. And the sleep, while even better than last week, still needs improvement.

Good stuff happening with room for improvement!

Have a great weekend!

My plan for losing the 10 lbs. includes the following:

1) Track everyday and stay within my allotted MFP calories
    2) Eat in a way that is consistent with the WW PointsPlus program
    3) Get at least 100 grams of protein per day and drink 100 ounces of liquid per day
    3) No eating anything I'm allergic to or have a sensitivity to
    4) Create a simple night-time routine and go to bed at the same hour for an entire week
    5) Deliberate exercise for 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times per week with an eye toward building to 5 times per week.
    6) Only weigh once per week.

Week One Weight: 182
    Week 2: 181
    Week 3: 181.2
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing well just trying to be mindful. Activity levels that weren't all that high and were lower still but I am down 2.4lbs this week and 3.4 overall.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,822 Member
    Options
    Did well for 3 days of the last week, then went on a 2 day "I don't care about my weight" binge result is up by 2.5 going to try to do better this week.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    Hi Gang!

We're in week 3. I'm just popping in to say hello and to remind you that every day is a new day. If you don't feel good about yesterday's choices, make better choices today. If you feel good about yesterdays choices, then string a couple of good days together. Then a couple more. Then a couple more after that.

• Al_Howard
    Options
    Hi Gang!

We're in week 3. I'm just popping in to say hello and to remind you that every day is a new day. If you don't feel good about yesterday's choices, make better choices today. If you feel good about yesterdays choices, then string a couple of good days together. Then a couple more. Then a couple more after that.

Thank God every day is a new day ;)
    We'll see what Friday brings.

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying this "challenge." I clearly needed the kick in the rear-end to get myself in gear. The reality is that the COVID shut-down had been challenging from a weight-perspective: it was too easy to snack while bored, there was a lot of time where I was bored (or maybe antsy), and although I was still exercising, the rest of my daily "activity" was significantly reduced.

So, I think we finished three weeks now, and overall I'm down 4.6 pounds. That's real progress, for sure! I still have a ways to go, and I'm still above any sort of "comfortable" weight, but nonetheless, I'm pretty pleased with this.

I will be dropping out for a couple of days, as the Jewish holiday of Shavuot starts tonight, and runs over Shabbat (Saturday) as well.

One "fun" factoid from a WW point-of-view. One tradition associated with this holiday is the consumption of dairy meals, often associated with cheesecake dessert! Eek! We also stay up all night (tonight) learning (usually associated with dairy snacks and lots of coffee). I will do my best to minimize the damage, and I have a general plan for how to approach this, but it's also important to me to keep the tradition (particularly as other communal aspects of the holiday won't be observed this year).

Catch you all on the flip-side!

182/140.4/146
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,934 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Time can fly by and so can focusing on this challenge which clearly has been a debacle on my part thus far. There is no excuse! but alas! a reason not an excuse though. Tracking for whatever reason has been tough for me this month. Yes I've been busy with work and yes some laziness has crept in and yes still addressing wound care with antibiotic changes medicine changes etc; but I just did a quick tally since we started this challenge and you guessed it Tracking/Focus/ gone b/c I let my guard down So it's "KIA" time.

So for the month May 1st- May 27th I've tracked 5 complete days and 22 no Tracking with 2-3 partial days mixed in the 22 days. So with this Challenge including technically not checking in last Friday I'm up 3 lbs. Tomorrow will be WI day and we'll see how it goes but I've been tracking solidly since Tuesday. In other words just plain let my self go to h**l in a handbasket wherever that saying came from.

So see y'all back here tomorrow.
    Tracking May 1-27 Yes-5 /No 22
    ๐Ÿ˜ก
    SW/CW/GW 5/26/20 Thursday
    400.8/313.8/185 [+.8] โ˜น
    Total Loss 87.0 lbs
    I'm going to keep score daily with my tracking like I do my weight up above. I'm determined to get this done. ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ
  • Al_Howard
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Up 3.2 Grrrrr I was way off plan for the 3 day (4 day weekend. Thought I had it drawn back better, but.......... Still down 3.2 since we started.
  • imastar2
    Options
    O.0 loss this week. Of course better than a gain but still up 3 lbs for this Challenge. My post from yesterday explains where my head has been. On to a new week.

Tracking days May 1-28 Yes-6 /No 22๐Ÿ˜ก
    SW/CW/GW 5/29/20 Friday
    400.8/313.8/185 [0.0] ๐Ÿ˜
    Total Loss 87.0 lbs
  • whathapnd
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm down .6 for the week. I've reminded myself of the GOAD advice to never insert the word "only" before announcing a loss. At my current weight, I would expect the losses to be faster given my diligence in tracking/weighing my meals/snacks. I'm going to stick with my current MFP calories for another week before lowering considering lowering them. I'm

I had a good week from an eating/tracking standpoint. I still need to improve on all the other aspects of my plan with exercise being the greatest need for improvement.

Have a great weekend!

My plan for losing the 10 lbs. includes the following:

1) Track everyday and stay within my allotted MFP calories
    2) Eat in a way that is consistent with the WW PointsPlus program
    3) Get at least 100 grams of protein per day and drink 100 ounces of liquid per day
    3) No eating anything I'm allergic to or have a sensitivity to
    4) Create a simple night-time routine and go to bed at the same hour for an entire week
    5) Deliberate exercise for 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times per week with an eye toward building to 5 times per week.
    6) Only weigh once per week.

Week One Weight: 182
    Week 2: 181
    Week 3: 181.2
    Week 4: 180.6
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,822 Member
    Options
    0 Loss for the week, and for the challenge. I guess I will have to be more diligent in my weighing and measuring. Thats why the call it a challenge!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    End of week three recap:

1) Stay within my MFP calorie budget (4 of 7 days)
    2) Keep up with tracking DURING the day instead of catching up at the end of the day (7 of 7 days)
    3) Get in a mid-day walk at least 5 times a week to compensate for how little I move in my offsite work environment. (1 of 3 days - long holiday weekend)
    4) Get in at least 5,000 steps per day. (5 of 7 days) - heat and humidity have arrived making me disinclined to walk during the day outside
    5) Get in 2 strength training sessions per week (0 of 2 done) - complete fail

Start of Week One Weight: 176 (WW goal is 170)
    Start of Week Two Weight: 175
    Start of Week Three Weight: 174.5
    Start of Week Four Weight: 174.5

Well, at least I didn't gain. Work was extremely busy this week and I need to do more work over the weekend as I have things that need to be sent out to our students since we are virtual this summer. The summer semester starts 6/8 and there is a lot going on for that as my adjuncts are new to online teaching, as am I. The retirement community also decided to restart limited fitness center operations just for the independent living residents next week so I'm very busy figuring out those logistics as well to keep everyone safe.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,525 Member
    Options
    I was up 0.4 yesterday which is close to what I expect. Pain issues are settling down a bit and I am back working on my list except for the walking and steps which are limited by a knee flare up. In 2 weeks I should be walking again.
  • imastar2
    Options
    Thought I'd post my plan which I had gone awry on and did get back to tracking since Tuesday
    Plan:
    1. 1700 Calories per day.(not doing WW pts.) โ˜น
    2. Tracking every crumb that goes in my mouth through MFP then report back every Friday to her and this theead.โ˜น
    3. Using the Simple Plate my plate method. Balance plate per USDA guide lines ie; Balanced / Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein foods, Dairy. Water 8 cups minimum daily.โ˜น
    4. WI every Friday as usual then post results. ๐Ÿ˜€
    5. Be positive! Daily.๐Ÿ˜ก
    Tracking days May 1-29 Yes 7 /No 22๐Ÿ˜ก

SW/CW/GW 5/30/20 Saturday
    400.8/312.2/185 [-1.6] ๐Ÿ™‚
    Total Loss 88.6 lbs
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This could not have come at a better time for me! Had followup with my doctor yesterday (via telehealth -- which worked surprisingly well!).

And this is going to be long; but I need to put it here in writing so that I can come back and read it often as a reminder of how quickly things can do downhill and what I need to do to prevent that downward spiral (or upward spiral?).

Good news:
    * I was down 5 pounds from where I was when I saw him in January. I weighed at home just before the visit started and couldn't remember what I weighed in his office in January. This means that I'm 5.5 pounds above my official WW goal weight. But, in reality, my goal weight needs to be lower because I'm 3" shorter than I was when I joined WW in 2002. My official WW goal weight is 140; but, to be in a healthy BMI range, I should be at 127. This means that I need to shed 18 pounds over the next 3 months. I no longer attend WW meetings and won't be so that goal weight is really meaningless.

* My BP is still very well-controlled on my new drug regimen. In fact, he reduced the dosage of my diuretic because my morning BPs are a little lower than they should be. Not a problem I've had in many years!

Bad news:

*My cholesterol counts and triglycerides were up since my visit in January. :( I already knew that because my lab results were posted on my health care portal. I always check that before I see him so that I'll be "prepared" for what might come. LOL They weren't sky high; but up considerably from January. Total cholesterol was 236 which is the highest it's ever been.

As soon as he mentioned this, I told him that I knew exactly WHY they were up. I've been eating like crap for the last two months. I can't remember the last time I ate any fruit and/or vegetables -- unless you count potatoes. And maybe some tomatoes that were used in pasta sauce. Dinner many nights has been potato chips and onion dip. Or half a box of Cheez-Its. There have been many casseroles with creamy sauces. Lots of cheeseburgers and fries (cooked at home -- which doesn't matter but is worth mentioning :) ) Hot dogs. Lots of processed foods in general.

*My BUN and creatinine levels were slightly elevated; however, he's sure that's from dehydration. A) I'm on a diuretic and B) I had nothing to drink after about 6:00 the evening before the blood draw.

And this is where the 3 months comes into play. He is giving me 3 months to get my numbers back into a normal range OR will put me on statins which is something I really do NOT want. I get repeat labs done on August 31 and see him again to go over those results on September 10.

Sooooo after my doctor's appointment, I put my mask on and went to the grocery store. I now have a crisper full of fresh fruits (apples, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, and peaches) and vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, mini sweet peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, baby carrots, and more). I bought lots of lean meat -- mostly chicken and pork; but also some low-fat ground beef.

When I got home, I threw out all the leftover chips, dips, Cheez-Its, Tortilla chips, etc. Oh...and the honeybuns I've been having with my coffee in the morning. <sigh>

The plan? Focus on more fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats. Limit bread, potatoes, and pasta since these are a weakness for me. Stay away from chips and dip and Cheez-Its! Weigh and measure everything except the fruits and veggies to learn to recognize a PROPER serving size again. Increase my water intake to compensate for the diuretics. Use MFP to track everything except fruits and veggies. Overeating fruits and veggies has never been a problem for me!

So THANKS for doing this!
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I will use Saturdays as my weigh-in day since today is Day 1 of my new "resolution". I'm planning to weigh-in only once a week. As many of you know if you've been around a while, I'm typically an every-day weigher. Pfft...that went out the window about 3 months ago LOL That could also explain a lot, but like I said, fortunately I was down from January so I don't think so.

Weight this morning was 146.1 (up .5 from yesterday)