Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,312 Member
    Options
    Did you by any chance switch age brackets in the last few months? That's one thing that could have made your calorie goal lower than before.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I wish I switch to lower!! lol No my birthday was in February. I stopped tracking when COVID hit my hospital in like April. So it should be the same or maybe more since I gained some weight since then.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal for a 2 lb a week loss is 1230.... I have been swimming and burning about 800-1000 extra calories....I add 1/4 of these calories back in and I can eat 1430 calories a day...I usually skip or have a very light breakfast and I really have plenty to eat...I weigh 265 and have lost 85 lbs...5’9” tall and almost 69 yrs old...I have my lifestyle set at sedentary...not sure if this helps you or not...I eat tons of vegetables and. Strictly count only calories...
  • gewel321
    Options
    Yes that actually does help me @conniewilkins56 It seems we are on the same path. Love that you are going swimming to help with the exercise part. I have a pool but honestly I've just been lazy about getting in it. I haven't felt like pulling the cover off so I haven't! I plan of getting in tonight as long as this rain holds off!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    Yes that actually does help me @conniewilkins56 It seems we are on the same path. Love that you are going swimming to help with the exercise part. I have a pool but honestly I've just been lazy about getting in it. I haven't felt like pulling the cover off so I haven't! I plan of getting in tonight as long as this rain holds off!

The water jogging burns the most calories!....I jog back and forth across the pool!...I jiggle and joggle so that probably uses more calories lol....I started swimming earlier in the day because it’s so hot outside so I am forcing myself to eat a little breakfast before I get in....I hate to eat calories for breakfast but I figured I need to because I work pretty hard in the water!....hope you get to use some extra calories!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I've really been eating a lot the last 3 days - tonight I couldn't stop myself from having that 4th slice of pizza *cringes* BUT I've also spent the last 3 days working on my camper - pulling wire, putting up insulation and paneling, carrying lumber around, stepping up and down into that camper constantly, hammering, sawing - if the general carperntry entry is halfway right, then it says in 3 1/2 hours, I burned over 1,000 calories and we worked more like 6 hours, so I'm not really sure where I stand though I think I'm at least breaking even.

I'm really struggling the last 2 weeks in getting back into rhythm; all I want to do is snack and its been hard to stay within calorie budget and I'm not do well. It doesn't help that I haven't been able to get the exercise levels back up to where they were before vacation due to the weather, though I think I caught up with myself in the last 3 days with as sore as I am!
  • gewel321
    Options
    Kinda overdid it today. Counted all my calories and ate smaller healthier food and portions. Took the stairs everywhere, mowed the grass, played with the kid. Realized that I had only eaten 650 calories. And burned 600ish doing all my activity. So not good habit and sustainability wise. I ate a choco taco (needed that quick calorie bump and the sugar helped too) and a balanced break and I’m a little over 1000. Gotta step it up for tomorrow.

And I was worried about not being able to make it at 1200. Sigh.
  • rockconner
    rockconner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 I respect you in several ways! I'm a 60-year-old guy & I've lost 76#, currently at 296# The way you eat & exercise indicates that you are moving forcefully through life! I admire how you go about your business.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    rockconner wrote: »
    @conniewilkins56 I respect you in several ways! I'm a 60-year-old guy & I've lost 76#, currently at 296# The way you eat & exercise indicates that you are moving forcefully through life! I admire how you go about your business.

I am a woman on a mission...if you read other posts of mine, I have BED...Binge Eating Disorder....at this time in my life I am finally waking up!...It’s now or never!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Some days are more difficult than others!...I burned so many calories in the pool this morning that I have been starving all evening even after having dinner...I finally gave in and had some lite trisquits and a string cheese....over what I had intended to eat....anyway, as much as I like swimming earlier in the day, I am going back to swimming after dinner because I am not as hungry lol...and I have my snack to look forward to after I get back home....maybe this is a mental thing but I was really hungry!..
  • gewel321
    Options
    I’ve gotten some motivation from @conniewilkins56 and wanted to do some swim jogging today. Alas too much chlorine in the pool from the weekend shock. I’m going to do it as soon as the chlorine goes down! I would have never thought of it without ya!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I’ve gotten some motivation from @conniewilkins56 and wanted to do some swim jogging today. Alas too much chlorine in the pool from the weekend shock. I’m going to do it as soon as the chlorine goes down! I would have never thought of it without ya!

It really uses the calories but I have to admit I am extra hungry tonight!...glad I helped you!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    today was bad. Nothing I ate would satisfy me, and I felt hungry all day long! And we're talking foods that normally do fine, but today I was dragging all day and just seemed to have a hollow leg. I was way over calorie limit today and it's 10 pm and I don't know if I'm going to be able to stop from munching on something else before bed.

I think my body is out of whack; I should have been on my monthly this week, but last month, I was a week late, so I'm not sure what to expect from this month. I"m preparing just in case!

meanwhile - I have a bed, a table booth, a table, and lights in my camper! Yeah! Just in time to go camping in it tomorrow with just me, myself, and I!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

You have to watch that @conniewilkins56, she is deviously inspiring!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    today was bad. Nothing I ate would satisfy me, and I felt hungry all day long! And we're talking foods that normally do fine, but today I was dragging all day and just seemed to have a hollow leg. I was way over calorie limit today and it's 10 pm and I don't know if I'm going to be able to stop from munching on something else before bed.

I think my body is out of whack; I should have been on my monthly this week, but last month, I was a week late, so I'm not sure what to expect from this month. I"m preparing just in case!

meanwhile - I have a bed, a table booth, a table, and lights in my camper! Yeah! Just in time to go camping in it tomorrow with just me, myself, and I!

I have days like that when I have had periods where I have not eaten quite enough to cover my activity. From what I am learning once you get below a certain amount of fat stores your body has less tolerance. I do not know what that amount is and it may vary from person to person depending on genes and the amount of activity.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I have days like that when I have had periods where I have not eaten quite enough to cover my activity. From what I am learning once you get below a certain amount of fat stores your body has less tolerance. I do not know what that amount is and it may vary from person to person depending on genes and the amount of activity.

I'm hoping that's it - that I'm being more active than I realize. But the scale isn't showing any dropping, either - on 6/18, I was 235.1; on 6/25 I was 234.2, and today I was 235.5. Water weight is killing me in the last 2 weeks, but so is the over-eating, and that over-eating will likely continue into the weekend since I'm going camping today and won't have much opportunity to update since I have to drive to the closest down 20 minutes away to get wifi (where I'm going is a cell and radio dead zone because of a big radio telescope in the area, so you have to drive out of that area to places that have free wifi set up).

but I knew trouble was on the horizon - I was feeling apathetic earlier this month, and that drive to eat has been growing stronger again and out-competing the voice that keeps warning that the temporary pleasure is going to derail my goals and put me on a plateau.

I seem to be really weird; this is the 3rd time that I've managed to lose a lot of weight, and if I look back at each time, I seem to be able to lose easily in winter but always seem to plateau in summer, especially late summer. You'd think it would be the opposite, since summer time is when a person has more opportunity to be busy! This is why late summer is actually my very least favorite time of year - me and heat and humidity do NOT get along!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am feeling a sense of renewal since my recent "outdoorsy" epiphany. I think one of the reasons I have been kind of apathetic lately is that after my health goals were mostly accomplished I lacked a new overall goal. On discipline and ease of practice alone I can get up each morning and exercise and then watch my calories but I wasn't building to something tangible. I was just going through the motions. It lacked "flavor."

It was important to put my health first. My health was in bad shape. I was heading nowhere good - fast. I didn't spend any time thinking about extra possibilities that weight loss and fitness improvement might bring. Why would I? I had no idea what shape I would end up in and I am not a person that likes to fantasize and then end up disappointed. I like to deal in what is in my grasp or within my grasp. I am a boringly practical person.

However, now I have a new purpose and it is a luxury instead of a necessity. That is likely better. I believe in the near future it will be possible for me to hike 10 miles. Since that would not be wise in the heat of the summer I can build towards that goal over the next few months and then try it in the fall or early winter. In the meantime I can work on bringing my fishing skills back up and my rowing.

This morning I pushed on for an extra mile because my ankle was feeling better and I have my new aspiration. I can't do too much more in the short term until my ankle is feeling solid again but that should be just a few more days of being careful.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and I am in new shoes again. I only got 3 months of use out of my last pair. I ordered 5 pairs this time so I could evaluate them properly. In the past a new pair would always be a relief and that made me assume they were good. I have learned that is not the case. This time I was able to compare them not only in how they fit but how they felt walking multiple miles. I felt kind of bad returning 4 pairs but I would have honestly kept them all if they had all lived up to their description as "walking shoes". They may be comfortable walking shoes for someone but they were not for me.

I am not sure exactly why but my new pair provide better support. The heels are taller than my other pairs have been and they have gel foam. I have pushed through the discomfort and sometimes outright pain for a long time. No more.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I'm hoping that's it - that I'm being more active than I realize. But the scale isn't showing any dropping, either - on 6/18, I was 235.1; on 6/25 I was 234.2, and today I was 235.5. Water weight is killing me in the last 2 weeks, but so is the over-eating, and that over-eating will likely continue into the weekend since I'm going camping today and won't have much opportunity to update since I have to drive to the closest down 20 minutes away to get wifi (where I'm going is a cell and radio dead zone because of a big radio telescope in the area, so you have to drive out of that area to places that have free wifi set up).

but I knew trouble was on the horizon - I was feeling apathetic earlier this month, and that drive to eat has been growing stronger again and out-competing the voice that keeps warning that the temporary pleasure is going to derail my goals and put me on a plateau.

I seem to be really weird; this is the 3rd time that I've managed to lose a lot of weight, and if I look back at each time, I seem to be able to lose easily in winter but always seem to plateau in summer, especially late summer. You'd think it would be the opposite, since summer time is when a person has more opportunity to be busy! This is why late summer is actually my very least favorite time of year - me and heat and humidity do NOT get along!

I seem to keep reminding you that the scale can takes weeks to show losses. The heat of the summer plus activity that may be unusual for your muscles could easily explain sluggish scale results this time of year.

Also ask yourself what is the worst thing that happens if your weight loss does slow a little during the summer? What if for 3 months of the year you only lose half of what you do the other 9? I doubt it would be that dramatic but maybe it will slow a little. If you are eating more to more easily fuel the things you enjoy doing does it matter?

One question I have routinely asked myself when I have taken a break or an extra maintenance day here and there is "When I get my weight off will I care that it took me a little extra time to do it?"

I do firmly believe in steering into the skid if you find that you are indeed in one. You are probably not but if you are you might want to consider dropping your rate of loss to 1.5 pounds per week for 6 weeks or so and see if that helps. I am not sure about you but I do not like giving back deficit calories unless I specifically planned to do so like a holiday or vacation. I would rather manage myself so that I can be consistent and sometimes that comes in the form of taking the foot off the gas. The next lower number on the scale can be addicting. It is important to fight that because before you realize it you will be in maintenance and the scale will hover around the same 7 or so pounds for hopefully forever.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    well, coming off diet break I already dropped back to 1.5 lbs per week so I could keep my starting deficit at 1500 before adding back in exercise calories. My biggest fear though is plateauing and then finding myself slowly regaining - so it's not even slowing down - its a fear of stopping completely before I'm ready to stop. I've been in this boat before where I've slowed down weight loss and then slowly started regaining; the 1st time I regained 85 of hte 90 lbs I lost, and while I don't think I'd go that far this time, the 2nd time I did regain around 25 - 30 lbs, and I know that's still a distinct possibility that I don't want to get into. For some stupid reason, once I plateau and start regaining, I have a devil of a time getting back in control, even though the sensible part of me is screaming the whole time. The glutton gets the reigns and it takes me forever to finally get them back and get back in control again, and that's what I'm afraid is happening. I had really, really hoped that getting my thyroid levels back down would prove to be the switch in my head, but they are still low and that switch is slowly creeping toward "off" again,a nd even though that's a warning and scaring part of me, that fear doesn't seem to be enough to give me the power to stop the slide.

and I'm so close to my 1st big goal of 220 lbs - I'm about 16 lbs away! I don't want to stop here! In fact, I don't want to stop at 220, either - I want to get back into onederland, but for right now, I'd love to be in the 220's when I see my doctor in October, and then maybe be flirting with 200 or under by my birthday next March.

And this time around, I can't even blame roommate or family for temptations beyond my strength to control, though this week that has still been partly true since I was eating at mom's this week.