WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - July 2020

Replies

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    The bravery question is sure bringing out some contemplation and, well, bravery.

@matthewsfive - your blue moment is such a point of intersections and thinking. You broke out of your usual pattern, broke other peoples' expectations, and now you're in a world that includes colours. As Michele said, that was the hardest one, and after that colour will be less a surprise, and even though you'll still get some remarks about it, I'll bet your friends are supporting you in that change. I remember wearing a skirt for the first time in forever one day, and a colleague said that it showed my other side, whatever that meant. For her, my definition included "someone who never wears a skirt". I felt all kinds of weird about it, but then I got kind of angry that she thought I was a person who only had one side (or even only two), or that she knew all about me. There are so many sides of us that we choose not to show to everyone, and when we let one loose, it can be a bit wild for a while. I also had to pretend to be someone else when I was in public for a long time in early adulthood, somehow protecting the "real" me. It was as much a performance as what I did on stage as a musician, or what I did in front of a class teaching at university. One of the best things about getting older is I don't give a shred what people think (within reason!). It's a heck of a lot more fun, but the pretending helped along the way. I think that you will find your path to letting yourself have more sides and not sweating too much over the appearance part. And please keep wearing that blue bathing suit from time to time! You'll also find the courage to play the awesome mother of the groom role, in a beautiful dress, dancing all the love you have for that young man. :heart:

@eggfreak - Sylvia, you are so kind, and your reminders about what we don't know are beautiful right now. They go far wider than this little group - thanks! The fear of incapacity, or reduced capacity, is a tough one. My niece ( @evelynladams527 's younger daughter) just started working as an aide to a severely physically disabled woman around her own age. When she told me about the job, she spoke about how she will be learning to face that fear, and learn firsthand how a person can remain a bright, vital presence in spite of severely limited physical capacity. We could all use a bit of that. I think it is one of the reasons we are all here, too, in a small way. We do not want to reduce our own capacities through overeating, diabetes, severe strain on our organs and joints, underuse of our wonderful muscles, etc. We are keeping ourselves on as good a path as we are able. Yes!

@Gidgitgoescrazy you are in the conversation I have been having with my best friend, and in the place where all parents struggle, I think. We cannot be the "magic hands" for them, but we need to be the safety net. Tough line to draw! You have articulated it so well - and you are helping them be stronger more wonderful adults by not doing it for them or telling them what to do. They'll figure it out - hopefully without too many "learning experiences" along the way!

So my lovely friends, enjoy the day! Keep on keeping on, and drop by when you can. I'm off to pick more currants. And kale, and my first eggplants!!

@jugar
    Sending hugs and love, you're the best.
  • matthewsfive
    eggfreak wrote: »
    Brave for me is wearing color facing a mirror and getting attention. ......... I am dreading that dance but will be there for my Son. I will dance with him but I am hoping that I can get through it.
    I think your post really demonstrates that none of us know what someone else is going through...many people might jump to other conclusions for why someone does something a certain way when the real reasons are very different. I think your determination will see you through that dance :)

I don't feel particularly brave nor fearful but I am occasionally very conscious of not wanting to get an injury and become debilitated and having that affect my health, wellbeing and fitness. @jugar like your glute injury, who could imagine it could last this long or be such an intrusion on your daily life!? Even with the Covid-19, I'm less afraid of dying from it than getting a long term lung or neurological issue that would affect my gardening, walking, everything. I don't dwell on this 'fear' but I am sometimes aware of it and am grateful everyday for good health. I should try to consciously think of this when I'm craving something - like @jugar said, sit down at a table and try to think about the why and the how to overcome...or at least just indulge without having to eat the whole container of Ben & Jerry's cherry garcia.

@eggfreak thank you
  • matthewsfive
    micki48 wrote: »
    deniners2 wrote: »
    @gidgetgoescrazy You've been describing my weather. I'm in the SW US.

Same here. Hot as bejeebies. 🔥
    I keep forgetting to ask! @micki48 - do you want to add the step amounts for your Pilates sessions? You can get 100 steps per minute!

Sure. That seems like a lot of steps per minute though.

@matthewsfive I think you are very brave for going out of your comfort zone to wear color. Good for you and good start. Just realize you have already handled the hardest day. Now, they’ve seen you in your blue bathing suit. It won’t be a big deal next time. I only see your profile photo but I think you are a beautiful woman. I know that doesn’t help you see yourself that way, but I wanted to tell you what someone else sees. I think your husband has given you good advice. Getting some counseling to help you work through these feelings is a great idea. Good luck. And I think you are BRAVE for sharing first.

I am over my calories today, but still down from my calories in the past month. (I lowered my daily amount). I still feel like my choices were healthy...well, all but one. Did 21 minutes of Pilates then some fun kid yoga.

@micki48
    thank you for letting me share how I feel, if I can help someone realize they are not alone then I will share all day long. Will be talking to my Doct in September when I go for my annual. I really wish I could see what others see when they see me. Someday I will get there.
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    @matthewsfive
    You are an example of why this group functions so well. When people share honestly we can all see bits of ourselves in each other and like you said, know we are not alone. There is strength in realizing we are in this together.

• conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 968 Member
    It's the end of the day and food was on target. My husband and I ran some errands this morning so I didn't get my walk in until the afternoon. It was hot and I made it 52 minutes instead of an hour. Close enough! In the afternoon my husband and I worked on some plant/moss bundle decor things. I will take pictures tomorrow they turned out great. Two are on log rounds and one is in a little hanging wooden box we built. Fall return to school is a ways off for me, more than a month. Our state education association just demanded that school not start in person and urged our governor to support them. I'm already getting worried. I think it's just the not knowing that makes it hard. People are so weird about masks around here. My in laws had to stop at the Verizon store yesterday. A lady walked into the store without a mask and the staff informed her she needed one. The lady responded with "I have a gun". Apparently this happens so often the employee just kept a straight face and told her she could have a gun and wear a mask too. He then gave her a mask and she eventually put it on. Ummm whoa!
  • SMcFall0215
    SMcFall0215 Posts: 122 Member

I took a pass on this weeks weigh in as I have been on vacation...

On another note..... while I was on my vacation my state decided to put a travel advisory in place to anyone that lives in Ohio And is traveling to a select few states. It just soo happens that I traveled to one of those states and now I may have to self quarantine for 14 days. I’m waiting for my job to get back to me. ALSOOOOO my state that I’m going home to has mandated masks for the entire state at all times in public.. Has anyone else’s states had to deal with this yet? I leave for 1 week and it seems that my state has went to *kitten* while I been gone 🤣😂🤣

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,043 Member
    I seem to be somewhat behind with my updates!

21st July
    Steps - 3188
    Exercise - 34 mins Sculpted back & Triceps workout (with weights)

22nd July
    Steps - 3677
    Exercise - Rest Day

23rd July
    Steps - 3165
    Exercise - 43 mins - Shoulders & Chest supersets (with weights)

Sorry!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    @Smfall0215 our state has always had a 14 day quarentine for traveling out of state. We have had masks required since April or May but in July, they added that you have to where them even when you are out walking. I haven't been out walking since.

@matthewsfive way to go on the good week!! There are so many reasons the scale could be up. If you know you had a good week, ignore the scale. Don't let it bring you down.

@conleywoods that is insane!!! And that's not ok. We are going to do virtual until Labor Day, at least. But, even when we are in person, are ancillary will have to do virtual in school to maintain social distance. Not sure how that will look for OT and PT.🤷‍♀️
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    We went back to the gym a handful of times, but with new cases back up to over 100 a day and the staff never enforcing any safety precautions, I think we're gonna stop going again.

This is heart breaking but I don't want to get sick and every time I go, my odds of punching some butthead right in the face for being a selfish jerk drastically increase.

It's so hard. :(
  • conleywoods
    @SMcFall0215 Our state has self quarantine and masks in public. We also have limits on gatherings. We don't have to wear masks while exercising outdoors if we can maintain 6 feet. We don't wear masks hiking but have them with us and put them on if we're passing people on narrow trails.

@mathewsfive Scales are stupid and sometimes take a while to get with the program. Keep sticking to your plan and next week will be better.

@Terytha No gym is a real bummer and has to feel like a major loss. I think you are smart to not go. There are so many options for working out at home. It might take a while to find something you and your husband like. Some are free and some cost money. There are lots of ideas on setting up storage if you don't have space for a dedicated exercise room. I have a tiny house and literally keep everything in a small closet or in a basket next to the couch. It gets the job done! Good luck
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,891 Member
    Happy Friday!

I was thinking yesterday about the whole mirror thing, @matthewsfive and anyone else fighting this body image stuff. I am actually less bothered by the mirror than by looking down at my own body. When I look at it, I find my legs chunky, my butt ham-like, and the belly a bit rounder than I would like. When I look in the mirror I am always surprised at how OK it all looks - it is like a different person than I see by looking directly. The surprise never goes away - it is weird. Maybe the fear of the mirror is that you'll look like you think you do by looking down at yourself? The brain is a weird and annoying thing.

Today is a gorgeous and sunny day - not hot, just beautiful. Good one for a long walk, lots of garden time, and maybe a bike expedition. Enjoy yours even if it isn't perfect! Wish I could invite you all here to share this one.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,249 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    We went back to the gym a handful of times, but with new cases back up to over 100 a day and the staff never enforcing any safety precautions, I think we're gonna stop going again.

This is heart breaking but I don't want to get sick and every time I go, my odds of punching some butthead right in the face for being a selfish jerk drastically increase.

It's so hard. :(

@Terytha I hear you! And thanks for the snicker. I can just imagine you punching a butthead right in the face. LOL. We are back to around 2,000 cases a day. It's ridiculous. @McFall0215 We were suppose to be wearing masks, but many people here in North Carolina weren't taking it seriously and not wearing them. Since are numbers have spiked upward drastically, stores are now enforcing the mask rule and many more people are wearing them. It is not that hard to wear a mask. I don't think anyone really enjoys it. But if a person doesn't want to wear a mask, they are going to REALLY hate the way a ventilator feels. Wear a mask. Stay healthy. Weird times for sure. And it goes on and on and on.

@conleywoods and @KellyBgetsfit and @evangsimmons170 My heart goes out to all of you as a former teacher myself. My two colleagues were informed this week that they will be going back in person in a few weeks. It's insane. It's far worse right now than it was back in March went they went remote. Sending good thoughts and hugs to you all in this stressful time. <3

@matthewsfive That scale can be a monster at times. You should write down all the good things you have done for your health this week. Read it over and over a few times. Ignore that scale, it was probably invented by a man. LOL ;) Hang in there. You've got this!

I was having a great week. Then, yesterday I made a chocolate chip cookie heart with buttercream icing decoration for my daughter and son in law's anniversary. There were a few extra cookies made from the batter so not such a big deal. But she brought the rest back this morning because they will probably eat dinner here. I ate two and was headed to my third yummy piece and I stopped. Thought of all of you asking me how to curb this desire. Went back to my water and sipped and came here. So even though I already ate two, at least I didn't eat THREE, right?! That's a win kinda sorta. LOL Grace over guilt. Haven't really done specific exercise, but played in the yard and ran and ran and ran with the little one and took a short walk up and down our street.

@jugar I am grateful for my age and not caring what others think of me. I am fully empowered to wear whatever I want. I have been out in my neighborhood in yoga pants. Who cares! I love me. My husband loves me. Does it really matter what anyone else thinks? Also, I just want to mention one thing that I have truly enjoyed about this quarantine/stay at home thing...not wearing a bra if I don't want to. It's so great. Not that I do it constantly, but if I feel like it because "that's my business!" as one of my favorite Instagram ladies says. If you're interested check her out. She is just the best. Her name is @iamtabithabrown. Very good.
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 707 Member
    PW: 147.5
    CW: 147
    TL: 62 (20 years ago)

It should have been more since I hardly snacked at night this week. But I gained weight at the weekend that I had to re-lose. :# I've already had nachos today, so a regain is on the books... ;) My weekend are like, "I behaved all week. Now it's a food party!!"
  • conleywoods
    Today was a pretty good day but I am having a treat tonight. We have 2 shows we record each week to watch with the kids. Tonight is Dino Hunters! My kids love it because they are digging for fossils in Montana which is pretty close to us. We have been to the dino museum in Montana and even own a Dino bone dug from the same area as the show. So I baked chocolate chip cookies 🍪 and I am having two!

Food was good today but a little calorie dense so I watched the portions and planned everything out. My 9 year old really wanted to learn how to make meatball subs. We made turkey meatballs and he helped with the whole dinner. I'm not over but higher on calories than I want...but cookies 🍪.

Exercise was an hour of walking and an hour of ballet.
This discussion has been closed.