Nutritious November

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
Happy November! Hard to believe the year is winding down. It has been unreal, and I won't miss 2020 a bit.

Looking back at end of October posts...

Magic, love that Lulu shares your veggies! My pup is always front and center when I'm putting together my salads. He especially likes carrots, green beans and summer squash.

Austin, you reminded me I want to get more jicama. Crunchy and delightful. Still haven't tried goji berries.

I enjoyed my taco salad yesterday and looking forward to those all week. I used black beans yesterday and will use the rest today, but may make refried pinto beans tomorrow for the rest of the week. I like the mixture of warm and cold in taco salads.

I'm going to dig out my panda planner today and start using that again. Goals for November are to continue the good habits of the past week (no snacking, more fruit), try to keep limits on work demands at least on the weekends, and daily treadmill and yoga plus weights 3 times a week.

Today's plan...
B - ezekiel toast, apple, smidge of PB
L - taco salad
D - leftover cooked veggies, cheezy chickpeas, a pear

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
    Options
    cornusmilesf.gif novboard.gif

Morning lady, super plants! LOVE the name for November, Mihani...perrrrrrrrfecto!

Just having coffee...and then off the races. Managed a good night's sleep...don't cha just love that. Always grateful.

Mihani, your menu sounds delish...and I will say, I love the refried beans in the salad...makes it more substantial...and I love the crunchy salad with the soft, warm beans.

Today's menu is a repeat of yesterdays. Not too happy...but I will be back on the salad trail for dinner tomorrow night.

My juice load I made over my weekend is staying fresh, thanks to vacuum sealing. BIO CHEF gizmo from this juice guy on YOUTUBE. He sells juicers and knows more about juicing that anyone. Here's the link if anyone is interested... https://www.youtube.com/user/rawfoods

Wishing all of your a splendid day... punkinleafw.gif
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    co410t2mo4om.jpg

Happy November, friends!

Magic, I hope you are having a great day at work.

I am running today's menu as pretty much a repeat of yesterday, with some changes as I am running low on produce. Lots of extra beets today, as I am low on several other things! I love root vegetables. I keep waiting to see parsnips at the store, but no joy on that yet.
  • magic71755
    Options
    AUSTIN...so happy to see you...love the graphic...work is going fine...finished two juices and lunch...at about 3:30 will have my second carrot/apple/ginger/lemon

After work, baked potato, steamed carrot/broccoli and cauliflower.

I am learning to live without eating so much all day long. The juicing helps for me to get over the hump.

The pain from two nights ago...nothing like that since. I had some salad bean and veggies ... made by someone at work...wondering if there was something in that that totally set off the inflammation in my knees...actually both.

Oh well, better today.

Later, dollies. <3
  • magic71755
    Options
    Late afternoon check in...having a 16 oz carrot/apple/ginger/lemon juice

I think, once home, just baked potato with Lulu...I am so tired.

I squeezed into my pants today...they are 8s...and I am not THAT small...they are killing my waist. Need to put back in closet and take out in when 10 pounds go missing.

Later, kiddos!
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Quick evening check in: my big salad tonight was a TACO salad of sorts. Thanks for the inspiration, @Mihani and @Magic71755 !

B-green smoothie (broccoli, blueberries, spinach, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, flax meal, hemp hearts), mango and apple slices
    L-spinach, navy beans, tomatoes & green chiles plus diced raw onion; steamed carrots, beets & mushrooms; steamed butternut, cranberries & jicama plus diced fresh apple
    S-almond butter, goji berries & cashews
    D-chopped salad (romaine, green bell pepper, radish, celery, roma tomato, celery, cucumber, onion, avocado), apple cider vinegar, spicy navy beans; steamed pumpkin, jicama & butternut with diced apple; goji berries & smidge of almond butter
  • magic71755
    Options
    November 2 Monday's PLAN

black coffee
    16 oz homemade celery juice
    16 oz homemade carrot/apple/ginger/lemon juice
    Gardein Frozen Italian Sausage and Pasta Bowl - 8.5oz
    16 oz homemade carrot/apple/ginger/lemon juice
    Taco Salad... romaine, LTO, corn salsa, heated refried beans, two corn tortillas baked and broken into salad, pico de gallo

Ginger Lemon Tea

autumnhugsff.gif
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Morning, Plant Family!

I'm working on pushing my top priorities to the a.m., so planning my menu on MFP, getting my piano practice in (I have a zoom recital in January), working out and working on my website for my new business.

Hard to believe that we are heading towards the end of the year.

Despite all, I think this has been a good year...I have a Plant Family, our son passed his first college class, and everyone in our household is healthy.

Hope everyone is well. You each inspire me every day!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all... crazy day! Sooo busy at work still. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Just trying to stay calm, remember to breathe, and remember I'm doing the best I can.

Austin, I too love root veggies, especially roasted. Brings out so much flavor.

Magic, I'm all about comfort these days. I get putting those pants away until they fit well! I enjoyed my taco salad last night so much and looking forward to another one tonight. Glad you reminded me of them.

Shred, that's so cool you are doing your piano recital. Have you been playing long?

Did okay today...
    B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of PB
    L - Dr. McDougall soup and an apple, a few pretzels
    D - taco salad!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hello!

It has been a long time but I am back for a while. So much has happened with everyone. I have been reading posts to catch up. You all are so inspiring.

I was in the hospital last month for severe anemia. Thank you to Mihani for suggesting I take B12 when I went towards a more vegetarian diet because my B12 and Folate normals were normal so my anemia was not diet related. It is due to either blood loss somewhere or not absorbing iron. I have had a million tests. Good news LDL, HDL and total cholesterol were all good and I attribute that to not eating meat. I do have eggs or fish in my diet but not everyday. Plus my A1C was 5.0 which is great.
    I do have a large hiatal hernia that needs surgery so I am going to try to lose 20 more lbs prior to surgery (maybe in January).
    Anyways today: B- bran cereal, blueberries, walnuts and almond milk. Coffee & almond creamer L - Salade lettuce, quinoa, avocado and turmeric dressing. Snack Norwegian see bread with all nut butter Dinner - black bean and lentil soup, dirty rice with vegan chorizo.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Bisky!!! Welcome back. Glad to see you. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Surgery sure doesn't sound fun, but I'm happy to hear your labs were all good.

Today's plan...
    B - oats with blueberries and chia seeds
    L - taco salad, almond milk yogurt
    D - cooked veggies and brown rice
  • magic71755
    Options
    November 3 Tuesday
    Vote 6AM in person! usaflag2.gif
    Coffee
    Carrot/Ginger/Lemon/Apple juice
    Birthday Brunch* at sister's...
    bdayiggy.gif
    HOME with My Best Girl...
    Taco Salad for Dinner
    Enjoy Life Cookies for dessert with Ginger/Lemon tea

*So, I had emailed my sister, asking what she was serving...never got an answer. Decided to just ask if it was all right for me to bring my own food today...(I mean, that is so weird, right? ) You would think, she would have said something nicer or more caring that YES.

We do not pick our families...but man, how rude of my sister. Apparently she thinks my plant based life is a joke. She could have said something like, of course...or I will have veggies there for you to snack on...but NO. I guarantee it there will be nothing JUST PLANT BASED.

I am just going to make it easy on myself. Making a sandwich...and a good one. Had stopped with the bread for awhile...but just so I do not have to use her stove or oven...I am bringing something easy. I picked up sour dough from trader joe's yesterday...wheat but no dairy. And I will be using plant based meat and cheese. It is an emergency kind of thing...so I think this one time will be ok.

I already feel isolated when I go to her house for gatherings...when eating different than everyone else...so I was thinking a sandwich would be simple. I hate that gatherings make me crazy nervous. She only having 13 people...and I will stay AWAY from everyone.

Will stay just a short time...and back with Lulu. This is my first time being near this many people other than work.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Welcome back Bisky. So sorry about your health problems.

Just finishing my black coffee and then off to vote. Love you guys. HUGS all around.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Enjoy life cookies...vegan...totally processed obviously...but you know what...I am still looking for something sweet and yummy after all this time. This brand is wheat free and everything else free...and they come in single mini packages...so portioned out for me. Making excuses, I know...but it seems to be working to satisfy my sweet tooth.

The end. https://enjoylifefoods.com/collections/cookies?gclid=CjwKCAiAnIT9BRAmEiwANaoE1VI2KSWN7RfcKpeQ2t00upsB5stQHMNirshpeZPfDkW-gfQat6sjNxoCv1kQAvD_BwE
  • bisky
    Options

Magic, I understand about sisters. Two years ago I spent most of the fall living with my older sister to help her with her husband who was sick. She is an unhealthy thin person…her diet would be coffee for breakfast, chocolate for lunch with more coffee and then steak, salad, cooked vegetable (with cheese & butter) and a salad and wine. I was so hungry all the time l stayed with her I turned to carbs (chips, cookies, etc) to fill me up and then cheese. I had such a hard time sticking up for myself other than refusing to eat meat. I felt as if my diet was stressing her out even more. I learned a very hard lesson because it set me back for a year with all the cravings for sugar. Meat is not a problem but processed carbs? Yep.

Anyways, recently found out about chickpea pasta, Banza…OMG a whole new world has opened up in my kitchen!!!! My husband can’t tell the difference with some of my favorite pasta dishes I learned in Italy.

B- coffee, bran flakes, blueberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and almond milk
    L - black bean & lentil vegetable soup with green salad and almond dressing
    D - salad with quinoa, roasted vegetables and almond curry dressing

E - long walk with friend & dogs
  • magic71755
    Options
    Not exactly sure what you mean...but I don’t eat any animal products...at all. So yeah, meat is a problem.

Today’s plant based 🥪 is just for convenience in a sticky situation.

Every once in awhile this type of compromise is necessary. But I absolutely will never go back to meat, dairy or eggs.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Good morning!
    Things are hopping here today --woohoo!

@magic71755 Hurray for getting up early to cast your ballot!
    And also hurray for taking care of yourself at your sister's brunch. I am sorry that is not an easier relationship, and I sympathize. I have a sister I don't talk to much. And come to think of it, the last time I was at her house, she served a lunch my son could not eat (food allergy, which she knew about, and those can be a no-joke thing). We just didn't eat. So, people can be... oblivious. All I can do in that situation is assume that whatever I am doing doesn't much matter to others, really. Breathe. Smile. Keep moving.

Anyway, sending you a hug.

Oooh, and in case it helps, BJ Fogg (author of Tiny Habits) included these great suggestion for a tiny habit relating to anxiety in this week's newsletter. I have been using #3 since I read the suggestion!
    “After I realize I’m rushing, I will slow down 20%.”
    “After I feel anxious, I will slow my movements until I feel calmer.”
    “After I recognize tension inside myself, I will deliberately move more slowly.”

@bisky
    So glad to see you here! And I am so sorry to hear about your health problems, and so glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Your story of living with your sister -- oh, ouch. That would have been disastrous for me, too. I don't tell most people that I don't eat added sugar because it seems so crazy to most. And it's not a change I made because I didn't love the taste. It was just that the health cost for me was awful.

@Mihani
    What a great food plan!

My treat today has been pepitas. I am roasting a pumpkin and made sure to toast the seeds as well. I never quite remember how good fresh roasted pumpkin seeds are. I had them instead of flax meal at breakfast. Yum!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hope you can relax and enjoy your visit, Magic. Covid makes gatherings so complicated and tense.

Austin, I've never roasted my own pumpkin seeds. Will have to try that! I love pumpkin seeds. So good sprinkled on salads or over pasta dishes.

Off for dinner and settling in to watch election returns. Doubt I can stay awake long enough to see the west coast.
  • bisky
    Options
    Magic, what I meant was saying no to meat was not a problem with me. What I struggle with is unhealthy carbs (pasta, cookies, chips and bread).
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello, Bisky! Glad to meet you.

We mailed in our ballots so no standing in line for us, but the tension is definitely there.

I'm "bingeing" on potatoes..which is far better than what I used to binge on.

I'm back to doing an hour at the gym each day. Like most states, ours has terrible Covid numbers so I don't know how long my gym will stay open ..but I'm going to persist.

I'm trying to reduce my on-line time (the election, et al)...but thankful for all of you, and a returning member of the Plant Family.

(Oh, and family: My SIL, whom I call Fang...never to her face, but a woman who can't seem to check the mail without getting into an argument has mocked my diet for decades. She and I are a year apart in age...she's had a hip replacement, she's 60 lbs overweight, high blood pressure, sleep apnea..and my BIL is in a similar boat in terms of health.

I don't wish anyone ill, but I'm glad my husband, I and our son (he's been a vegetarian since the womb!) focus on plant foods. We could all stand to lose a few lbs (we do love eating...) but I don't see us ever ending up spending 98% of our days sitting cause we are too obese to stand for any length of time.

I wouldn't mind the occasional complaint..but I must admit the outright mockery does not bring out my more noble side!
  • magic71755
    edited November 2020
    Options
    November 4 Wednesday

black coffee
    celery juice
    avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion sandwich on sourdough
    big ol' Asian pear
    carrot apple ginger lemon juice
    more taco salad
    lemon ginger tea, Enjoy Life cookies

piesmiley1.gif

Thanks so much for all the support, lovelies! Yesterday, get this...my sister served up Belgian waffles with syrup, whip cream...and butter...this egg dish she makes...granted it is good, if you are not plant based...but not good for you...egg, tons of cheese, green chilies ... I think cottage cheese...oh I don't even know since I don't eat it...all baked and served up hot...what else? Cheese and crackers and grapes to snack on before brunch; ...oh, and there was a fruit salad...which I had...nothing added. Cake pretty decadent coffee cake.

I sat at one of the tables with my sandwich and fruit salad...later, I had one of my carrot/apple juices. NO ONE said a word. My sister did not ask if I needed anything or if I was ok...nothing. WE ARE NOT CLOSE...we never have been...it really is sad. My mom said, years ago...that's your sister...you either accept her the way she is, or NOT.

I mean, she was talking on the cell phone to one of the group from Colorado who could not make it...she came over to the table I was at and told the gal on the phone...here is and named off all the couples at the table, and left ME OFF. One of the husbands said AND NANC! Oh well.

Oh well, I came home, hugged Lulu and settled in for the results. What a mess it all is. I just pray our police do not get injured or God Forbid, killed, trying to stop the idiots rioting all ready.

I have booked my organizer for four days in December. In the meantime, I have to declutter all the rooms in the house, so she can then organize what I am keeping...that is MY CHRISTMAS/HANNUKAH present for LULU AND ME!

Later dollies...I am going to finish my coffee and then get ready to go get gas, and head to Costco. I want those yummy Asian Pears.

LOVE YOU!

• magic71755
    Options
    What do you all wash your veggies with?

I use a salt and vinegar solution...or baking soda.

Good ?
    Bad?
    Your ideas?