Nutritious November

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,566 Member
    edited November 2020
    q9jzrx7m5bkt.jpg

Good morning!
    I got through Tuesday without eating less-good food items. Yay!

Bisky - Oooh, your cookies sound yummy!
    You got me interested in the curry question. Here are the recipes I am looking at.
    https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/01/eggplant-and-chickpea-curry.html
    https://mayihavethatrecipe.com/eggplant-chickpea-curry/#tasty-recipes-13060 (could leave out the olive oil)
    https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/eggplant-chickpea-curry/#wprm-recipe-container-17583 (again, could skip the oil)

I too am trying to eat breakfast later and lighter.

Shred and Bisky - I, too, love the Gould recording of the Goldberg Variations. I am sure there are many great recordings, but that one is so good I have not gone exploring.

Since you both like western classical music -- I am a huge fan of Christina Pluhar and her ensemble. If you feel adventuresome: L'Arpeggiata (vocals by the crazy talented Jakub Józef Orliński) and this live version, which must be watched (you don't want to miss the dancing).

Shred, I hope you are doing well!

Magic -- you, too! Any word on tests? Whatever happens, you will get through, but waiting is, well, not so fun.

Is anyone thinking about things to cook for Thanksgiving? I am taking a look at some of the recipes here:
    https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/resource-library/

My plan for the day:
    B - green smoothie, half a sliced apple
    L (planned) - steamed greens, black beans with some tomatoes & green chiles; steamed veggies (zucchini, mushroom, carrot) with diced grape tomatoes; steamed turnip and butternut with diced apple & jicama
    S (planned) - sliced apple and small helping of cashews
    D (planned) - big salad with homemade dressing; steamed turnip with diced apple & jicama
  • AustinRuadhain
    95qerkw5ao0r.jpg

Howdy plant-based friends!

I stuck to my plan for the last 2 days, and have been getting in more exercise. The exercise, given time, will help me deal with feeling more anxious these days.

My plan for today:
    B - green smoothie, 6 oz mango
    L (planned) - steamed greens, navy beans with some tomatoes & green chiles; steamed veggies (zucchini, mushroom, carrot) with diced grape tomatoes; steamed turnip and butternut with diced apple & jicama
    S (planned) - sliced apple and small helping of cashews
    D (planned) - big salad with homemade dressing; steamed turnip with diced apple & jicama

I need to go to the grocery store this afternoon. I am planning to make something fun, a soup or stew, this weekend. But I particularly need more salad makings!

c8py44c753hn.gif
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 952 Member
    Yay! Friday is here...

Austin thank you for the recipes. I am going to try the first recipe as I like the idea of onion and red pepper with the eggplant...the picture looks like what I was imagining.

Bad day yesterday....had my banana oatmeal cookies for breakfast. Then Pulmonary testing at 12:30 and was running late so grabbed a nature's blueberry bar for lunch with a protein drink...not that great...got back on track rest of day.

Today:
    B - bran cereal with blueberries, nuts and seeds
    L - roasted fall vegetable soup (turnips, parsnips, butternut squash, onion, carrots)
    D - Salad + ???

E - walk dogs
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,726 Member
    edited November 2020
    Dear Plant Buds!

Coffee
    Amys plant based GF Over a bed of spring greens

Oatmeal almond milk frozen blueberries

Steam broccoli and Bitchin sauce

Pistachios

Love ❤️

No word on petscan results nor puppies!

Looking every day for new job!
  • AustinRuadhain
    magic71755 wrote: »
    Dear Plant Buds!

Coffee
    Amys plant based GF Over a bed of spring greens

Oatmeal almond milk frozen blueberries

Steam broccoli and Bitchin sauce

Pistachios

Love ❤️

No word on results nor puppies!

Hey Magic, hurray for that lovely plant-based menu. It looks great!

Hugs back atcha!

❤️ ❤️ ❤️
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,878 Member
    Work is a nightmare this week. I just caught up on reading posts. <3 y'all will catch up more this weekend.
  • Mihani
    Bisky, I have the same experience in that I tend to eat less overall in the day if I wait to eat breakfast until later.

Hi Austin, your meals always sound so wonderful. I keep forgetting to get more jicama. I will put that on my list for next week.

Magic, hope you get your test results soon. Waiting is so frustrating! Maybe you can see the puppies soon. Puppy therapy sounds perfect.

Shred, hope all is well with you!

Going to do some housework and laundry this morning and make the lentil soup that I never got around to last weekend. I have a box of mixed baby spinach and baby kale to wilt into the soup at the end. Then work work work the rest of the weekend. I hope our secretary will be back on Monday. She's been out 8 days and we're still super busy so it has been rough. Of course next week is Thanksgiving so I'll only have everyone there 3 days. Then we head into the end of year crunch. It really never ends. Sigh...
  • magic71755
    edited November 2020
    Well sweet peas...

The only thing I have to report is I’m working with some very evil evil people that are just hateful and mean and it’s really hard on me I’ll be back later I love you guys

I am just to darn trusting...but some people...especially car salesmen, are just not nice people

Coffee
    Almond milk blueberries oatmeal
    Amys frozen Gf plant based over bed of Spring greens

I think when I get home...gf tortilla filled with beans and salsa over a bed of crunchy iceberg

I guess I am just disappointed in people

And I will never trust anyone here with the exception of my HR confidante in the office

Later, my friends
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited November 2020
    5nzd3zxjh6zw.gif

Hello, all! Sending a virtual hug here, as I think all of us could use it!

@magic71755 , I am so, so sorry your coworkers are being awful. I am glad you do at least of the friend in HR.
    Your menu looks lovely.

@Mihani , I hope you get some rest in during this little holiday period, and that the crunch time is not too crunchy.

@bisky , you fall vegetable soup sounds yummy. I have not been seeing parsnips at the store, but I will look again on Monday. They are so tasty! I hope after your rough day that yest5erday was better and that today is going well!

My plan for today:
    B - green smoothie, diced mango and pear
    L - steamed greens, navy beans with some tomatoes & green chiles; steamed veggies (zucchini, mushroom, carrot) with diced grape tomatoes; steamed turnip and butternut with diced pumpkin & jicama
    S (planned) - almond butter & goji berries
    D (planned) - big salad with homemade dressing; steamed turnip with diced apple, pumpkin & jicama
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Good evening, Plant Family! Well, what can I say: But, we are truly awesome!

I need to keep my brain busy, otherwise my thoughts are all directed towards my stomach!

My Men are making a nice T-Day dinner: potstickers (vegan), big salad, tofuturkey, and then for dessert pumpkin mousse!

My gym now only allows people to work out if they are a reservation, so that should be a challenge.

Does anyone have a fitness channel they love? I'm thinking of doing more at home, but I have to admit that anything that looks too much like a boot camp has never motivated me...

Today: walking, running after our dog, and for some reason a cleaning binge.

What an interesting group we are!
  • ShredWeek1
    Oh, tomorrow: Vegapower protein drink (at 10 a.m.), lunch of beans/greens, snack of berries/cherries, dinner of whatever leftovers have not yet died.
  • magic71755
    My sweets...having my 3rd coffee...OH MY...I need to be ready to face the mean girls at work...and one of the mean girls is a boy (truly, he is not a man at 50+ years...such a child)...anyway...

Yesterday, the two of them were conspiring...can you believe that?!

Within earshot, boy/man girly person, walks my desk and says, we the undersigned wish to ...blah blah blah...the mean girl did not get it at first and then she caught in. This is F'n re DICK u lous!

HOWEVER, good news to report...my base...the people that know me and see that I work hard and truly know my job, are being ever so kind and supportive WITHOUT really saying anything. NO gossiping in other words.

And either am I. The mean girl showed her true colors on Saturday night and showed what a pot stirrer she really is.

I feel confident that my job is secure...well, pretty confident. Here's why...

Yesterday, I got the weirdest call...a lady called in asking for finance, they were busy...so I told her I would have them call back when available...and I asked if I could attach a message as to what the call was about.

Truly, it was so easy...she really wanted to know the color of her car...crazy, eh? She wanted to know the actual color.

Well, I told her I would be able to look that up...just give me a moment. Sure enough...I told her some name that is actually white but a fancy name...and then I told her the interior color as well...Sahara Beige. Not just beige but SAHARA.

She was so happy with my answer...and for helping her.

My point is...I think this was a staged call. And my GM wanted to know how I would handle the call, and would I even be able to look up her purchase. And I did so, easily.

Later, he walked by my desk and gave me a big smile. That does not happen very often.

Anyway, I now know people are mean, and some people want you to fail and will do anything they can to make that happen. I looked up on the internet how to deal with deceitful coworkers and mean, ugly nastiness. I will post what I found.

People at work that are kind to me are still kind and now know mean girl and boy/man girly girl are the culprits of trying to get me fired.

Ok, then...that's the end of my story for now. Time to get ready for work.

Still no word on puppies. Thinking that I need to wait til after knee replacement...seems this is the sign I needed.

Love you guys...if you are still reading this, thanks...and if you didn't read it...it's ok.

And I might as well date myself...I'm ok, you're ok...old old book. Later, dollies
  • AustinRuadhain
    Happy Sunday, all!

dv5fnusk0g05.gif
    @magic71755
    I am sorry your coworkers are being a challenge, and glad you are looking at ways to deal.

@ShredWeek1
    I do best of I get plenty of exercise! Current favorite YouTube channels:
    My exercise yesterday was a ~45 minute Jenny Ford platform session, plus a smaller session later in the day, plus a bit of walking.

If you want something to help make exercise more fun, I am on FitRockr and Strava, platforms that allows you to set up teams and challenges with people who use a variety of fitness gadgets or their phone to count steps.

@Mihani - I hope all is well and a little more restful for you today.

@Bisky - I hope you get to go out and enjoy some of this beautiful day!

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 952 Member
    Good Morning!

Magic - I am so sorry to hear about the mean people at work. There seems to be a lot of meaness in the world today.

Shred - I need to find a vegan protein drink with fiber and iron that tastes good. How is the Vegaprotein powder? I have found exercise classes, esp. yoga on You Tube.

Mihani - Did you get your lentil soup made? We are almost done with roasted vegetable soup and I am going to make Vegetarian Chili today.

Austin - I will send you the roasted vegetable soup. I found the parsnips at Trader Joes as well as leeks and chopped butternut squash (I get lazy) but regular grocery store for turnip.
    We went on a 3 mile hike (very slight uphill) yesterday with dogs. Then a little picnic after.

Oh knock on wood I am feeling so much better. After first cup of coffee I jumped on Peleton bike and did a 20 minute low impact class. Now going for short walk with dogs.

B - coffee, bran cereal, blueberries, nuts and seeds & almond milk
    L - soup & salad
    D - Sweet potato dish Brooks is making that he swears he is not using butter.
    S - almond butter and seed cracker

E - short bike ride, walk dogs and upper arm weight lifting.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited November 2020
    I’m just popping in to say hello, as a new group member. I probably won’t say much (I’m more of a listener than a talker), but I’ll happily check-in and read your awesome ideas for plant-based meals.

I’m new to WFPB, so my plan is to start simple. There will be a lot of repeat meals, with the occasional experiment. :)

I’m 5’10” and currently at 216lbs. I started at 248 a few years back, dropped to 185, then regained to 225. I realized in October I was heading back to where I started. Goal is 185.

I’ll be 50 in January. Married, 3 kids (15 to 24yo), all living at home.

My current (baby steps) goals are:

* 90% or more plant-based food, measured by calorie.

* 400g+ fruit/veg each day;

* A 1-lb-per-week calorie deficit. I log and weigh to the gram when possible.

* And for health, daily walks and bodyweight/balance exercises.

Today:

B - Bran flakes, berries, almonds, ground flax, and soy milk; a banana; a Brazil nut; and coffee with soy milk.

L - No sugar/salt peanut butter on WW toast, more flax sprinkled on; carrots, grapes; more coffee/soy.

D - Baked tofu, a few pieces of grilled shrimp, roasted Brussels sprouts, rice pilaf. My husband is cooking, so the pilaf is salty white rice from a box, instead of the brown rice from scratch I’d prefer. But, hey, he’s cooking so I won’t complain! :)

Meat/dairy cals: 6%+ (unclear what’s in the pilaf)
    Fruit/veg weight: ~430g
    Exercise: Bodyweight/balance done. Walk? Not so much.
  • ShredWeek1
    TMac: A big welcome!

I fall between listener and poster...but for me having a Plant Tribe has been such a great support. My husband and son are vegetarians, and I'm the only vegan in the household. It is also lovely to have a Plant Tribe of older women...we don't get a ton of love out there in society, but I love being older...knowing that there is less time ahead of me than behind me certainly helps me to let go of some of the more petty aspects of my personality.

Austin/all: Thank you for the exercise resources. I don't have a fitnessdevice (just a casio which counts steps), but I do like the idea of challenges, so I'm going to begin strategizing on that.

VegaSport Protein is awesome! I've tried several different nondairy protein powders and by far, this one is the best. Not only a great nutrient profile, but even if all I use is almond milk (instead of adding blueberries or bananas) it is totally yummy.

Oh, and I'm sorry about the childishness at work. Small minds can be so corrosive to any company and just get in the way of helping customers or getting work done.

Take care, sweet ones!
  • ShredWeek1
    Tomorrow: Vegasport Protein breakfast, potato/vegan cheese, cauliflower for lunch, dinner: whatever is vegan/left over and includes veggies. Snack: Oatmeal/cherries. Exercise: 10k steps, and I've contacted my favorite personal trainer at the gym to see what her schedule looks like.
  • Mihani
    TMac, wecome! It's definitely difficult to maintain. I have lost hundreds of pounds over the years, over and over! Keeping my diet mostly WFPB has done away with a lot of that. Not that I don't still struggle at times with gains but I have never got back up over 180 and years ago I was 220 which was kind of my OMG moment. I generally bounce around between 150 and 160 now, and need to be more like 140 so it's still a struggle. I'm 100% vegan for 8 years or so now, after being vegetarian for many years, but I have fallen into vegan convenience foods too often lately.

Magic, I think your plan of just letting it roll and continuing on being great at your job is excellent. Hang in there!

Bisky, the roasted fall veggie soup does sound fantastic! I love root veggies roasted. So glad you are feeling better.

Shred, I signed up for the BeachBody membership a while back. It's like $100 a year and they have tons of videos, but it's not really worth it. There are a lot of videos on youtube and other sites for free.

I like Evolve pre-mixed protein drink, and Raw Fit for powder.

Austin, I like the Leslie Sansone videos too. I so appreciate your optimism and contributions to this group.

Got some work done this weekend but not enough. Never enough. I'm totally wiped out lately to be perfectly honest, and hating my job a lot.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited November 2020
    B - Bran flakes, berries, almonds, flax, soy milk; coffee.

s - Kashi chocolate mocha bar; clementine; tea.

L - PB & flax on WW toast; carrots, grapes; coffee/soy.

D - Ramen, baked tofu; gala apple; seltzer.

Meat/dairy: 1%
    Fruit/veg weight: 488g
    Bodyweight/balance: Yes
    Walk: Yes