Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @swenson19 Foster kids is so hard. I'm impressed your husband is willing to take them on. I absolutely understand your concerns. How much has he talked to the agency. One concern I would have is if it doesn't work out then the kids have ANOTHER home they bounce through. I feel if you feel that strongly you can't take them on, and there is absolutely no shame in that, it's a huge responsibility, then it's actually best for the kids not to take them.

Caveat: I'm not an expert at all.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Well last day of work before a long weekend. I was on call last night and had 2 calls, and at such time I don't have work today! Woo hoo. My best friend is in town, so we get an extra day to hang out.

I'm just eating breakfast, and will go on my bike for a good ride, then some strength training.

Scales finally shifted, 1lb lost. Yay.
    Wonder how long it will last, as will be having lunch today. Though, the next couple of days brings some longer runs, and a hike on the mountain!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    My husband and I were foster parents. It is definitely something that you don’t really know what you are getting into until it happens. Our daughter had been abused and had some issues as a result. When an abused kid acts out, it’s a real trick to handle it. We were younger and I wish I could go back and do some things over with the wisdom I have today. But I don’t wish that situation on my older self, raising kids takes too much energy! @swenson19d I can’t imagine suddenly having a 2 year old. But sometimes you just gotta do what feels right to you.

This instills instant regret. Whatever have I agreed to?
    DH seems to think we are getting a puppy. Of course, it could all fall through. He just told me the 6-year-old was in counseling. Cmon. I think it may be similar to having a hyena in the house. Least my kids are grown and I just have to watch out for the cats and dogs and hope the oldest isn't ... crazy??? seems harsh, but you get it. I told DH he needs to find out more about the kids and their mental state.

You never know, it might turn out unexpectedly wonderful. I regret some mistakes I made along the way, but don’t regret doing it. And it sounds like giving these kids a stable home with people who care about them instead of being shunted from place to place filled with strangers could make a real difference.

Our daughter was older and acting out mostly meant getting into trouble with boys - and fully grown men! who had no business being around her and were bad people. She had no healthy boundaries and no idea of her own self worth and had been told she was stupid her whole life, which definitely isn’t true.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    My day didn't turn out as planned, but it was okay. I went into town and stopped at the daycare where I "work" (haven't since Sept) because I knew they would fax the POA to the health system for me so I can take care of my cousin's bill. I wound up talking to the director and the office manager for 1.5 hours. Then, I went to pick up the death certificates and some other things at the funeral home. The receptionist there and I started talking. Her father had passed away from a brain tumor, like my husband, so we discussed how hard that is and how hard it was for me to lose dad to CoVID. We talked about 30 minutes. I was shopping and a friend I hadn't seen in a while saw me and, again, talked for 30 minutes. I finally got the shopping done and had to pay my vehicle, house, and life insurance premiums, so talked to my insurance agent about 30 minutes too. So, what I thought would take about 3 hours took 6. I really had no time for anything else today...not even a walk. I also hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast. So, at about 5:30 I ate a rotisserie chicken sandwich with cheese and then some cheddar cheese popcorn. I did good and put out 2 servings onto a plate. Well, that only lasted until 7:30 when I got the bag and mindlessly ate while watching Jeopardy. I did leave a little bit in the bag, so I call that a win for me. I really shouldn't buy those big bags, but...

I don't know if I told you or not, but the guy who is going to check out my microwave on Monday said that, even if he could fix it, he wouldn't get the part for potentially months. So, I bought a small microwave to use in the meantime. I felt I really needed one for heating up food post surgery.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My day didn't turn out as planned, but it was okay. I went into town and stopped at the daycare where I "work" (haven't since Sept) because I knew they would fax the POA to the health system for me so I can take care of my cousin's bill. I wound up talking to the director and the office manager for 1.5 hours. Then, I went to pick up the death certificates and some other things at the funeral home. The receptionist there and I started talking. Her father had passed away from a brain tumor, like my husband, so we discussed how hard that is and how hard it was for me to lose dad to CoVID. We talked about 30 minutes. I was shopping and a friend I hadn't seen in a while saw me and, again, talked for 30 minutes. I finally got the shopping done and had to pay my vehicle, house, and life insurance premiums, so talked to my insurance agent about 30 minutes too. So, what I thought would take about 3 hours took 6. I really had no time for anything else today...not even a walk. I also hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast. So, at about 5:30 I ate a rotisserie chicken sandwich with cheese and then some cheddar cheese popcorn. I did good and put out 2 servings onto a plate. Well, that only lasted until 7:30 when I got the bag and mindlessly ate while watching Jeopardy. I did leave a little bit in the bag, so I call that a win for me. I really shouldn't buy those big bags, but...

I don't know if I told you or not, but the guy who is going to check out my microwave on Monday said that, even if he could fix it, he wouldn't get the part for potentially months. So, I bought a small microwave to use in the meantime. I felt I really needed one for heating up food post surgery.

It must be so weird to talk to people without being afraid of catching Covid! As I was reading your post I kept thinking, should you really be socializing so much? Well... no reason not to at this point I guess, they are pretty sure you have immunity for at least a few months.

Your surgery date is my mom’s birthday so it’s easy for me to remember. Definitely help to have that microwave. When my dad had his valve replaced, the chest cracking was a pretty fast heal but in the immediate short term he couldn’t do much. Are you having someone stay with you at first?
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Amazon
    I found a loophole. I just show Dh and he buys what I want to says "get it". Today my quest was to mount the TV and get a floating shelf to go under it. Then Dh ran with my "need" for an electric violin so I can continue to practice without disrupting him, or feeling self-conscious.

Kids
    DHS wanted us to take them tomorrow but we are still sick and I think they still have to do the background checks and fingerprinting. So maybe after the 4th when Dh gets his COVID test repeated. I may go tomorrow for my repeat test. The weather is freezing and if the roads are bad I won't.

Food
    I am so fat. LOL! Just like Beary. Scale said 127.9 and needs to be 124 or less. I've lost so much muscle so it's not just a 3 pound gain. My legs get tired quickly and ache all day. I hope it's just deconditioning. Violin today was a pain. My back and left sciatic were not having it again. Neuro the 7th, but I don't anticipate I'll reveal any unidentified explanation. Old, gimpy, sedentary.

@quilteryoyo Your day sounds exhausting, but nice to catch up with some folks. Your sandwich sounds good. It's the kind Beary likes.

@shanaber I hope the xrays prove useful. The pain in the hamstring does sound similar to sciatic pain.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! It's been a busy week at work as my boss was on a rampage trying to reconciles expenses for all of his tenants. I generally don't work this week and my son is in town till sunday but I had to get stuff done.

@quilteryoyo You have so much happening. I am so glad you will co-execute the will. They are not easy to navigate through probate and its better to have both of you making decisions. Glad you got the microwave too. It's going to help alot during recovery.

@shanaber Your pain doesn't sound like sciatica to me....but I am not a doc either. I had during pregnancy....I recall it more of a traveling pain from back and down the leg. What about piriformis? This also gets involved in sciatica....that area around the glute and hammy?

@swenson19d God bless you guys for taking these girls in. It's a lot. I would say ultimately, do whats best for them. And that might not be you guys. You have a lot on your plate as it is. This will add a lot of stress. Short term is fine. Long term, there might be a better solution for all.

My back finally cleared up with icing, tylenol, motrin and less activity. I am back at it....had some long rides to get done and added some more stretching. Doing a New Years ride today. Nothing tomorrow. I have weighed in and I am up like 3 lbs. Not tracking and eating crap. That will be changing on jan 2nd. Good bye to a stupid year. Ha ha....
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile I didn't even think about my being social as something I shouldn't do. We all had on our masks and were socially distanced. Everyone except my friend in the store. She said she had one on, but it broke. In that case, I thought she should have been hurrying to get her stuff done instead of standing there talking to me. We were socially distanced, but I tried to keep hinting to her that I needed to go. She wasn't too good at taking the hint. I was surprised, and relieved, that I don't have to get another CoVID test before my surgery. Like you said, I guess once you have it they "think" you are immune for a while. I did ask and they are going to do another chest x-ray though. Something that they normally don't do if I've had one in the past 3 months. But, since I had CoVID, they need to make sure everything still looks good. I was actually asking about that, because I wanted to make sure there had been no "hidden" lung stuff happen.
    I am working on getting someone to come stay for the first week. If that doesn't work out, mom, with help from the neighbor's, can come and stay most of the day. I guess, I could stay at her house to make things easier, but I think that would be hard for me for a lot of reasons. I guess I could handle it for a week or so, but wouldn't be able to access the internet to up
    date people and keep track of you all. We'll see.

@swenson19d Are you required to get a second CoVID test? We don't here. As long as we don't have symptoms (except for cough and loss of taste or smell) or a fever for 48 hours without Tylenol, we are free to get out and about after 10 days. No retest required.
    I'm so sorry you are having so much physical difficulty. I hope you can find some relief. I also hope you don't have to take in the girls while you are still feeling poorly. You need to be in a good frame of mind for that.

• swenson19d
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I am at the point of wishing it all to fall through. I am sure all I have to do is talk to dh, see how he's feeling about it. I'll approach the possibility of other family being available. I think most of them are not reliable. I assume the one is in school and the 2yo is closer to 3. I am struggling just being me still, defiantly feeling poorly enough not to make sure children mind their p's and q's.

MRI or back to PT
    That is the question for the day. I scheduled the MRI for the 7th, same day as the neuro so I can cancel it if I want before then. I might reach out to the PT too, see if she is back.

Testing
    I know Dh has to have a retest to go back to work. I have my clinical assignment (I assume still) within the same organization, which is DH's employer also. I was told to retest by them. The health department keeps calling at 745 am and I am not going to wake to answer it. Who is sick and up before 8? let me rest. Anyway, I am not sure what the health dept wants. To schedule the MRI I also need a negative test.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Interesting on the testing @swenson19d . When I was talking to the daycare director yesterday, she said she is not allowed to require a negative test for someone to come back to work - or daycare, I imagine. The reason is that people can still test positive for up to 90 days, even if they aren't showing symptoms or contagious.
  • swenson19d
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I thought about that, being positive and not really having it. If Dh still has it I could just have the virus in my nose and really not be infectious. But I'll jump through the hoops, what's a little nose invasion?

Cats have collars now
    The outside cat wouldn't come down from the shed loft. I can't blame her. Its cold and the last 2 times she came down I wormed her. Bear is dapper. You can't see Beans, she's to heavy I guess. They are reflective so perhaps nothing human will get them. Dh suggested that Goober might have had a heart attack outside. It is the only thing that makes sense so far. I still expect him to be at the door every time I open it.
    vn80w64sw2o8.png
    Look at those fat little bunny chops!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - your comment about your daughter reminded me that for years we had a group home next door to us with older girls (12-16 maybe). Mostly they were just lost mistreated souls, there by no action of their own and acting out mostly to get any kind of attention. Unfortunately if they acted out too much they would get sent to a more institutionalized environment. Several of the girls were there for years until they aged out of the system. They would often come over just to talk to me and in one instance we became good friends with one of the girls. Her mom had died from cancer and her brother and sister while living on their own were deemed too young to care for her. I think she was there for 4 years. We saw her a few years later and she was working, married and had a baby. I was so happy to see her thriving. So many of the girls though had been abused or neglected. We would help them with things like repairing a bike or making costumes or a project for school.
    @swenson19d - I think they ask you to have a 2nd test here too but I am not sure if it is a requirement. I think it depends on your work situation.
    Love the new collars for the cats!
    I think the MRI is a good idea just so you can know what is going on. Is there any issue with it and your leg with the rod in it?
    @quilteryoyo - just reading about your day sounds exhausting to me! It is funny that after being away from people for the most part of this year, those types of interactions just feel like they would wear me out.
    I hope you can get someone to come and stay with you. Recovering in your own place with your own bed is always optimal in my opinion.
    @bearly63 - glad your back is better! Sucks to be so busy when your son is home. I hope you get a chance to spend some time with him!
    I thought about piriformis too but I have no idea how to tell what is what...

Got the X-ray results back last night. Everything is normal... I am expecting that my PCP will call sometime today or maybe on Monday to discuss where we go from here. I don't think they can tell exactly what the issue is w/o seeing me or having an MRI. I am not sure if knowing specifically would really change the plan going forward for rehab either. For sure the Aleve is not helping much or maybe it would be much worse if I didn't take any. I typically only take one every 12 hours instead of 2 so maybe I need to take 2. Last night it kept waking me up and I couldn't get comfortable.

I am going to go out for a short neighborhood walk today. I signed up for a Oiselle New Year's Eve Virtual run so I will make it a NYE virtual walk instead.
    Tonight we are going to a virtual NYE party with friends who normally get together for NYE. We have never gone because they have a bunch of cats and dh is very allergic, so I am pretty excited to get to 'go' this year!
    Oh and best news ever yesterday - dd got her 1st vaccination! Yay! I am so, so relieved!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Hey all.

Love how everyone is being helpful and supportive of eachother. The world really could use more of that really.

I went out for my first run of the year, 6.5k. It feels great to be back to my normal. Scales this morning was up from yesterday but only half a pound. Not a surprise with all the salt in yesterdays lunch. I had to estimate lunch but would have been in maintenance at least.

Today we are all going up the mountain for a hike. Won't be a huge hike as we have 2x 3yr olds, a 4yr old and a 6yr old. And a 40yt old still recovering from an ankle injury (DH). My friend and I will probably go out for a big hike tomorrow.

I'll post pics later!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d You're cats are adorable. Hugs in regards to Goober. It's hard no knowing.

@shanaber What a great thing you did for the girls in the group home. I feel so badly for children who are in those circumstances.
    I hope you can get some answers to physical ails. Have fun at your virtual NYE party and Yeah for your DD getting the 1st vaccine.

@bearly63 Glad your back is feeling better. Also am sorry that you have to work with your son in town. Hope you get to have quality time with him.

@Avidkeo Nice first run of the year. Enjoy your hikes. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I was about to hang the TV to the wall and DH said, "wouldn't it be better on the other wall?" uh... no. I have to move bears wall shelves and unhook the couch and reassemble it to the other side and it kills my back. He insists it'll look better. Well, I suppose I should let him have a say in how the house is arranged.

Bear seems to be enjoying the change.
    20wtnw4fcgho.jpg

TV is mounted. I need a new outlet so I can hide the wires and am waiting on a floating shelf. Which is scheduled to arrive in a month. yuck Amazon.

I didn't buy anything today! Nor did I rook DH into buying anything!

Happy gone to the old year and Blessings to the new!

ETA living room rearranged. My laptop takes terrible pictures
    wvj4bjegszew.jpg
  • Avidkeo
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Back from the hike. I'm exhausted!

hwhcac18ini9.jpg
    u2wlseqxjgwx.jpg
    qm1yqn0fabsd.jpg
    fe8pv0jcsyhz.jpg

Probably all in the wrong order, but us getting closer to the mountain

jpqw0ffbipg3.jpg
    The summit looks so close!

bpupf2ea3n3c.jpg
    lmjlq3izuihc.jpg
    cqf8av399zpd.jpg
    jhdgfmdy9cyp.jpg

Various shots around the mountain including all the kids!

pbx5fw3aajkp.jpeg
    5kfe2w703eeo.jpeg

Hubby, kids and me. And best friend, kids and me
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d That looks like a big project that you took on. Bear looks happy. I want to know where Bob is in the pictures. LOL

@Avidkeo Love the pictures. Looks like a lot of fun. The kids are too cute.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @Avidkeo Looks like a fun outing! It's beautiful, I'd be there daily!

@quilteryoyo Bob is in the master bedroom. I wanted to be able to keep an eye on him and the living room really has no Bob residential space.

All of my space is disrupted.
    So I guess today is figuring that out. I also need to run that outlet. Am I the only one that likes the same setup space daily? It's a little unnerving but sure Ill figure it out.

Any traditions for this week?
    We don't do anything. I think DH is on about the black-eyed peas. I'll have my Black-eyed peas on Spotify please.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    My neighbor always does the traditional ham, blacked eyed peas, and greens and has us and other neighbor's over. He is skittish about doing that today because of CoVID, so he is hosting a progressive lunch...he's providing the traditional stuff, I made deviled eggs, and mom made sweet potato casserole. Not sure what the other neighbor's are contribution. I call it progressive, but he is actually going to collect everything and deliver to said families.

Also found out that my nephew is going to come up today. Yesterday we had decided that mom and I would go see them on Sunday. I'm glad they are coming up instead. We didn't see them at Christmas, so this will be our Christmas with mom's great grandson. The plan is to see my niece and her family tomorrow - great grand daughter.