Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,483 Member
    Options
    Well, I decided to add enough to make the delivery order, and they are only substituting one thing. In my opinion, the substitution they chose is not really a good fit, and were I the one picking, would have simply omitted the item and delivered the rest of the order. But I did not specify "no substitution" on that item and I can eat what they are sending, so I will just live with it I guess.

I ordered one11.5 ounce package of Smithfield Boneless Hickory Smoked Pork Chops, which generally contains four or five chops. They are substituting an 8 ounce Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Boneless Ham Steak instead.

As I said, I can certainly eat that, but it's ONE piece of meat, not four or five smaller, almost perfectly sized pieces. And while ham IS pork, it's not really the same flavor profile as a smoked chop.

Oh well, it's all good I suppose.

In my last order from Kroger, they made an accidental substitution because the picker wasn't paying close enough attention. I had ordered some fruit cups, packed in 100% juice, and they sent the right fruit, but packed in light syrup. The calorie count and carb profile are actually the same, but we prefer the ones in fruit juice. They don't taste quite as sweet as the ones in light syrup, but taste sweet enough to satisfy us.

I thought about making a complaint and if I had, I am sure they would have refunded me the cost, but as we will eat them, and it wasn't an egregious error, I just accepted it.

FIRST WORLD problems, right? I am grateful that I can get my groceries delivered at all and I always have the option to mark any item to allow no substitutions. It just never occurred to me that they might substitute a ham steak in lieu of pork chops. If I order those chops again, I will remember to mark that for no substitutions.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Ed, we only ordered once and it was completely messed up. It seemed like it may have been someone else's order. Only a few things were right. I hope we don't feel like we have to do that again. So, it seems your Kroger is doing pretty well with that. I liked the Chiron comic. ;)
    I've been pretty upset the last couple of days (which messes up my diet and my physical well being). I spent a lot of time with a jigsaw puzzle yesterday. It is calming.
    Colder here today, currently overcast and 29 degrees, but the forecast says sunny with a high of 38.
    I hope everyone has a good day.
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think some of the newly added and suddenly increased delivery options had some start-up problems, and I have read of other friends receiving, early in the game anyway, some at least slightly messed up orders but in all case they were able to get the payment amounts corrected.

I am just about always flexible enough to make sudden last minute changes, if necessary. So if I had ordered something that I wanted to prepare for dinner that same night, and it turns out they don't have it, Eduardo is always on hand to throw something together from available ingredients. :)

Today's order arrived and everything (except that silly ham) was exactly what I ordered. The worst thing that has happened so far on any of my orders was the time they sent a dozen eggs, and 7 of them were broken on arrival.

As it was clear that the breakage had occurred during the delivery process, I just changed our meal plan for that night and we had a crustless quiche-like dish for dinner, which used up all the severely broken eggs, which I was able to extract from the carton with minimal mess, fortunately.

6 were broken so badly that pretty immediate consumption was required, or just tossing them, and they went into our dinner. The 7th was just barely cracked and the inner membrane was still solid, so that one could wait for a day or two.

While we did enjoy Eduardo's quick fix on the problem, I did complain about that and got a refund on the price of the eggs, and they applied an additional $5.00 credit on my account, that would automatically go toward my next purchase.

Since we did end up eating the eggs, I felt kind of funny about complaining and getting the refund, but felt they should have a record of the problem.

For all I know that driver may have had a history of delivery issues and they may have needed to find him another job in the company that would be a better fit. I saw him on the door cam so know it was a man.

Every other delivery has been handled with due care and diligence.

• eku0
    Options
    Ed, that's not so bad. About 1/2 our order wasn't included, and they delivered 4 gallons of milk! 2 were 2% and 2 were chocolate....I felt bad because I didn't have anyone I could give them to and they wouldn't take them back. They took the charge off our order, but it was such a waste.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Cold, wet, windy and breezy. It feels much colder than 44 degrees at the moment.

Perfect indoor closet cleaning day and baking day. I made old fashioned molasses bars. Fun memory from when I was a child.

Eku, sorry I was so apparently unclear. I meant whether you had voted Dem. or Rep.- it was all disgraceful and so ugly. No excuses to cross a moral line that should be quite apparent. Other than the occasional lead foot on a nice summer day there is not much disobedience in my body.

Many complaints apparently of ordering and stealing of food by 3rd party deliveries. Fast food and restaurants included. Horrible! Glad you all have not had that happen. Ours seem good in our area.

Hi Jo and Irene! Take care all. <3
  • parityanimal
    Options
    When I am expecting a delivery and know about what time to expect it, I try to stay near the door and keep one eye on the door camera.

Of course if they get lazy and decide to leave it in front of the garage (in full view of the road) I need to rush out there and get it, just in case. But our front door and the covered area in front of it can't be seen from the road, thanks to a hedge that we have mixed feelings about but I tend to want it left in place, for the most part. Maybe trimmed back a whole lot though.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

It's cold and cloudy this morning but we are looking forward to a sunny day with a high in the lower 40s.

Not a lot on the agenda today.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Well, it's colder. It's been overcast for the past 2 days despite the forecasts of sun. It's a new day, and it appears the sun is finally starting to peek out. Currently 26 with a high of 43 expected.
    I've been spending time with a jigsaw puzzle which seems calming for me. Yesterday, I made some butternut squash soup (one of my favorites) and did some laundry.
    I need to water my plants this morning, and take my car for a drive later.
    I am praying in my own spriritual/science way that our country comes safely through this dark period, for a lessening if not an end to the violence and ignorance that seem to abound. We need to take care of the earth and each other.
    Wishing all a good weekend.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

It's cold and clear right now, but should warm up to a partly cloudy 49 degrees for the afternoon.

I might take one (or both) of the vehicles for a spin after it warms up a bit.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    It's 34 and sunny here with a high of 46 expected. No special plans for today. Will catch up with some paperwork, maybe some cleaning. I woke up with a rash yesterday, and it's still there...I'm using calamine lotion. I hope it goes away, it's itchy.
    Here's hoping we all stay safe from the virus. It's up to 1 in every 15 people in our country has been infected. Yikes. I have a dentist appt and a rheumatologist appt in person coming up this week. I'm glad I have some k94 masks. I wish the news was better. Calvin and Hobbes was really nice today. Thanks, Ed.
    Anyway, have a good Sunday, safe distancing and stay healthy.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    I have and eye appt. this morning. The office sent me a link to answer Covid questions and then sent me a e-pass to show at my appt.
    I am fussy about what I buy for groceries, so I don't want anyone else picking out my groceries.
    One of the employees in our meat dept. tested positive for Covid. All employees in that dept. were sent home for 10 days and are required to get tested prior to returning to work.
    All I can say is that I am appalled at what went on at the Capital and am glad that arrests are being made.
    Vix-I hope your rash gets better soon.
    Have a good day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! They are calling for rain today, and a chilly day. I don't plan on getting out in it at all, thanks.

I am running the dishwasher now and may do some house cleaning later.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Yesterday, I tried some hydrocortizone cream, then some triple antibiotic ointment. Thanks, Jo. Today the rash is a little better and I am trying aquaphor ointment.
    Good luck with your eye appt, Jo. I like to pick out my own groceries too, especially produce. I hope your coworkers in the meat dept. are ok. I'm glad arrests are being made too. We need follow through and consequences.
    Ed, I'm glad you always have a positive attitude. :) I strive for that, I know it's a choice. I think I usually do pretty well.
    Partly cloudy and 26 degrees here with a high of 42 expected. I have a load of laundry to put in. I made some beef and cabbage stew last night. It was pretty good.
    Have a good day, everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

It should remain cool here today, with mostly sunny skies. As always, it seems, I am working on the next grocery list.

I have given Lilo her Tuesday morning shot. We will see what the day brings, but I may do some cleaning.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Currently 29 and sunny with a high of 44 expected today. It was pretty when I got up this morning with the sun glimmering on the frosty grass.
    Yesterday was a bad emotional eating day again. Will get back on track today. Planning on making chicken soup. I did some laundry yesterday and sat on my front porch in the sun for a while, with a jacket on...the sun felt nice and warming.
    Ed, I've lost track of days...it's good you do Lilo's shot on the same day every week...I was doing that with cleaning, but recently got thrown off, so have to reset that.
    Jo, I hope your eye appt went well.
    Irene and Jan, hope you are both doing well.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    My eye appt. didn't go as well as expected. My eye pressure was only down a little. We are going to monitor it for a while before I have to put drops in my eyes for the rest of my life.
    Oh well, it could be worse.
    Off to work. Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

It's cold out there and is only expected to get to about 47 today, and overcast, with a small chance of rain.

I may pop out to a grocery to look at those few things that I do just have to pick out for myself. And perhaps get some broccoli since Kroger didn't have that to deliver, or the green peas that I wanted.

Oddly, they wanted to substitute Honey Bunches of Oats With Real Strawberries in lieu of the Grape Nuts that J wanted, but I was able to request that they just omit that, as I don't really think that there is a substitute for Grape Nuts, aside from Kroger brand Nutty Nuggets.

While J would have eaten the Honey Bunches of Oats With Real Strawberries, we would not have been terribly happy with that substitution. They were able to remove that item before they finalized the order so it worked out well.

But really, who would have thought that any cereal with added fruit would be a "best substitute" or even an appropriate substitute for Grape Nuts?

Sometimes I wonder how they come up with their ideas for substitution. I am almost surprised that they didn't try to substitute cauliflower for the broccoli, or green beans for the peas. LOL. They at least seemed to have their brains connected on those items, and didn't even try to substitute.

• eku0
    Options
    Hi,
    I just got back from my dental appt this morning. Got my teeth, x-rayed, cleaned, and a small bit of decay removed and filled. Glad he had time to do that and I don't have to go back.
    Ed, I haven't had grape nuts in a long time...I used to like how crunchy they are.
    Jo, sorry your eye appt was disappointing. Hopefully the pressure will go down a bit more with time.
    It was frosty this morning, but it's up to 43 now, high of 47 expected and sunny, so it looks like I might have time to sit on the porch today too.
    I will probably pull out another jigsaw puzzle, it really helps to calm me.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    FOOD REVIEW!

Tonight, J tried a retro frozen TV dinner from Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar. I saw an ad for them on FaceBook so I can tell you FaceBook ads DO work. LOL.

I ordered an assorted six pack, to reduce the price from $10 each, to $7.50 each. But I did have it delivered, rather than going to pick it up, so paid a substantial tip to the DoorDash driver.

No delivery fee for orders over $25, and no tax on frozen dinners, since those count as grocery food items.
    I ordered the following:

TV Dinner Chicken Parmesan
    TV Dinner Fried Chicken Dinner
    TV Dinner Fish N Chips
    TV Dinner Cheese Enchiladas
    TV Dinner Pot Roast Dinner
    TV Dinner Chicken Pot Pie
    Buy 6, save 25%
    Subtotal$45.00
    Estimated Tax$0.00
    Tip$11.25
    Total$56.25

As I already had some chicken thighs thawed, that needed to be cooked, I baked those and had them with some pasta, and did not, myself, try any of the non-vegetarian TV dinners yet.

So, finally, to the actual review.

J had the TV Dinner Cheese Enchiladas.

I followed the cooking instructions, and, for the first time in I don't even know how many years, baked a frozen dinner in a foil tray.

The instructions did not call for stirring the rice or beans, but perhaps they could have used that at the midpoint.
    Despite that, it did turn out quite well, and I am looking forward to eating the other dinners.

I only tasted this one, with a tiny bit of each item in the tray, as it was J's dinner.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5 for a retro TV dinner!

The rice was tasty, and not as crunchy as I feared, and it all tasted much better than any real retro TV dinner I remember eating from so many years ago. Also, there was plenty of food, as this was a substantial meal, much larger than those TV dinners from years ago were. And they didn't taste all that great either, but this new RETRO TV DINNER was quite good.

The first picture is their advertising picture. It didn't look EXACTLY like that, but it was pretty close, when I took the cardboard cover off, as delivered, frozen.

The second picture is how it looked when I took it out of the oven.

Would J eat it again? Yes. Would I buy it again? Probably. We haven't yet actually eaten at the restaurant, but as it's not far, in the Peachtree Corners Center, we may in the future.

Oddly, the dinner eaten tonight does not seem to be on the regular menu, but only in the frozen dinners.

1cbse6qyg0ep.png

rg9wf3uvs5hj.png
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

It's cold and clear out there right now, at 29 degrees, but should warm up to a sunny 54 this afternoon, with clouds rolling in and a good chance of overnight showers, with somewhat warmer temperatures overnight.

I might get out for a bit of personal shopping today. Lunch will be the leftover chicken thigh and the leftover pasta shells with creamy garlic sauce. And I may eat my retro TV dinner of fish and chips for tonight's meal.