Downsizers - January 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @mari_moulin - I'm just curious, what type of scale do you have that tells you the percentage of water? I didn't know those were available! Thanks for sharing your measurements and your journey
    @Tazaria87 This is one time when people talking about you feels good, right??? Good to hear a bout dancing to the Disney movies - you are also creating some good memories for your kids.
  • 363days
    Options
    @DawnCumm I know that having 10 pounds must be a tough place. I think @Bluetail6 is there also, right? If I got that close..or I should say when, it would be tough to not start relaxing. You guys are doing great.
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    363days wrote: »
    @mari_moulin - I'm just curious, what type of scale do you have that tells you the percentage of water? I didn't know those were available! Thanks for sharing your measurements and your journey

a2204fdirdga.jpeg

I have a smart scale made by Tefal which I think is only sold in Europe. But I am sure similar scales are sold in your country. It doesn’t tell percentage off water on the body but it does have fat percentage. As my fat percentage went down but my weight went up (and I’ve only been doing strength training for a week so it’s not muscle mass gain) it shows that the weight gained is water weight.

Also I am sure there are scales you can buy that do tell you percentage of water weight and muscle mass and fat mass etc because there is one available at my gym. I haven’t used it this year but will do so at some point in the next couple of months.

Here’s one I found on Amazon that does full body composition measurements.

uyagjm4u03t1.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XW4C5Q?tag=dotdashvwellf-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=3435133|n20b3b31269d24394a5dda8bb49248b1f23

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    1/22
    Food logged.
    Under calories.
    Drank 96 oz. water.
    Slept 8 hours.

Rec center was unexpectedly closed today and I wasn't braving the below zero temps here. So no intentional exercise. Will raise my heart rate watching the Chicago Bulls play tonight on tv.
    Weight was up a little today from last night's feast. Will hope that it comes down tomorrow.

@DawnCumm just keep on tracking and exercising. You have lost so much weight and know what to do. How did you determine your goal weight? Did you use 100 pounds for 5' plus 5 pounds for each inch above? I am trying to determine what is a realistic goal weight for me. My weight is coming off slowly but it is due mostly to inactivity in the winter.

@lindamtuck2018 please message me with the link to the podcast. I would love to hear it. Am having lunch with Kevin's oldest daughter on Tuesday. She is only 23 and is settling her father's estate by herself, working a full time job as a prison guard and raising 3 children from 4 years to 6 months with her husband. She has so much responsibility and hardly a minute to herself. I really feel for her.
    Hope that you are settling in well to your new home and will look forward to hearing when you are out of lockdown.

Everyone stay safe, dedicated and live life with a purpose.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    User: cesse47
    Weigh-in Day: Saturday

Previous weight: 298.1
    Current weight: 297.0

STEPS -- 3000 each day this past week

OOOOPs!! My bad ... I seem to have lost a day. Thought today was Saturday until I saw a post above.

Have a great day Y'all!!! :)
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    @363days - I've had the Fitbit Aria scale which also calculates the BMI for multiple family members (I forget how many - maybe 4 - 6, I think) and I've been really happy with it because it automatically records both weight and BMI everyday and synchs with my Fitbit tracker and it's only around $50 or so. I primarily got it because I use a Fitbit but if you use an Apple watch, then it might make sense to get something different. Fitbit was recently acquired by Google so I wouldn't be surprised to see more tie-ins with other Google products over time. A few things to keep in mind with the BMI measurements - first you need to be barefoot when you use it because a small electric charge is used to measure the resistance and estimate your measurement. Trust me you can't feel a thing as it's powered by a couple of small batteries. Second, I consider the BMI measurement to be directionally correct so I don't worry too much about the variance day to day and focus on the general trend over time.

One of the nice features is the auto-calculation of lean vs. fat portion of your weight so that over time you can see what kind of weight you're losing. Unfortunately in my case part of my weight loss has been muscle which I expected somewhat but it points out that I probably need to focus on bumping up my weight training more that some of the aerobic activities so it looks like I need to refine goals a bit and my plan on how I'm going to get there. You can really see how I was doing great until COVID hit last Spring and impacted my lifestyle (working from home, snacking, I stopped working out, etc.)

shv02kq1ml64.png

Anyway, hopefully this helped explain the benefits of this kind of scale ... basically (1) convenience of having it automatically record your results, and (2) some of the analysis features to easily monitor your results over time.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,530 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday !!

I wish today was my weigh in day lol. Down 1.6 Lbs since yesterday. I would have only had a 0.6 lb gain instead of 2.2. Ah well. Soreness is still there but better and better. My friend brought her dog yesterday and we took the hounds out for a nice stroll in the mud.

Today I will be doing laundry and maybe go out for a nice long stroll with Jax.

Blessed day everyone ❤️

@Megan_smartiepants1970

Sunday - 9,657
    Monday - 17,178
    Tuesday - 18,930
    Wednesday - 10,283
    Thursday - 16,138
    Friday - 15,499
    Saturday - 16,238

Just think of the loss you will have next week. It does suck when there is a drop in weight the day after weigh day. Awesome steps!

lelbarou wrote: »
    Check in Jan. 23
    Logging = yes
    Steps 13 693

I made a bunch of carrot ginger soup yesterday and took a walk with a friend. As you all know, during the time of Covid, not a whole bunch to do! LOL
    Normally I would be volunteering which is kind of a big hobby of mine.

I have like 4 books from the library to read so I better get on that. Otherwise, not a whole lot going on.

I hope everyone is well and has a great Sunday!

I never had carrot soup before but it sounds interesting. My hubby wouldn’t eat it but I could make it and freeze portions.
    cesse47 wrote: »
    User: cesse47
    Weigh-in Day: Saturday

Previous weight: 298.1
    Current weight: 297.0

STEPS -- 3000 each day this past week

OOOOPs!! My bad ... I seem to have lost a day. Thought today was Saturday until I saw a post above.

Have a great day Y'all!!! :)

Nice loss and great consistency with your steps!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    gckm8ktuemay.png

WEEK FOUR CHALLENGE is up and ready for your participation! :)

JANUARY REFLECTIONS
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,530 Member
    Options
    Saturday’s Check In
    Steps: 4,991 ✅
    Tracked: ✅
    Sleep: ✅
    Water: ✅
    Healthy snacks: ❌

The bunk beds are together finally and we didn’t kill each other. 😂 Between the bunk beds and groceries my leg and back pain was the worst has ever been. I am so over this!

I went quite a bit over calories. At the supermarket we got a box of 30 chocolate bars and my favourite peanut M&M’s where in there. I ended up eating two. I had already had my treat for the weekend so it was a calorie disaster. I am only slightly below my calorie average so I have to be strong the rest of the week even if they are calling my name. Hubby better start eating bars. I did track everything.

I will be resting for most of the day. I only have to do laundry and a few other chores. I really have to sort out a means to get some exercise until the pool opens. It is going to be on the top of my to do list tomorrow.

Enjoy your Sunday!
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Daily Post January 23
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 100oz
    Steps 9024
    Exercise Arms/Shoulder Lift and 60mins treadmill

Completed day 2 of weight lifting. This schedule is definitely going to be better for me. The 60min treadmill was just because I got hardly any steps during the day. Today is rest day and we will be going to my parents house to hang out.
  • lelbarou
    lelbarou Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Carrot ginger soup is really easy to make and you can freeze it.
    For 4 cups or servings, it's about 10 minutes of chopping and 5 minutes to get all your ingredients lined up and then it cooks on the stove for about 30 minutes. Finally it's blended.
    It has ginger, but I also added a TBSP of cinnamon to give it something else to the taste.
    Very easy recipe! I found it on the love and lemons website.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    9jrjxcmyjx67.png
  • 363days
    Options
    @mari_moulin @jimboden3 Thanks to each of you for your information. I am definitely going to research these scales with the outcome of getting one. I like the fact that you I can get one that graphs my history, that in itself could be meaningful for me because I can tell as I'm aging that I'm losing muscle and this would help me keep it on track. Also, I get so focused on the "numbers" that this could help me understand the increases aren't always a bad thing - it could be muscle. I have never used these types of scales and I'm excited to check them out!
  • 363days
    Options
    @cesse47 Good job on the weight loss
    @lelbarou I LOVE to read and have been devouring books. Thanks to my used book site, I can have a basket full of new ones waiting for me. For some reason this makes me feel rich.
  • 363days
    Options
    Saturday’s Check In
    Steps: 4,991 ✅
    Tracked: ✅
    Sleep: ✅
    Water: ✅
    Healthy snacks: ❌

The bunk beds are together finally and we didn’t kill each other. 😂 Between the bunk beds and groceries my leg and back pain was the worst has ever been. I am so over this!

I went quite a bit over calories. At the supermarket we got a box of 30 chocolate bars and my favourite peanut M&M’s where in there. I ended up eating two. I had already had my treat for the weekend so it was a calorie disaster. I am only slightly below my calorie average so I have to be strong the rest of the week even if they are calling my name. Hubby better start eating bars. I did track everything.

I will be resting for most of the day. I only have to do laundry and a few other chores. I really have to sort out a means to get some exercise until the pool opens. It is going to be on the top of my to do list tomorrow.

Enjoy your Sunday!

You have been doing a lot of heavy lifting and moving. Glad most of the hard part is over for you.
  • 363days
    Options
    congrats @lindamtuck2018 @Tazaria87 @Megan_smartiepants1970 You have worked hard and it shows
This discussion has been closed.