This February “I Will” ... Newcomers Start Here

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    Excited for all of you Oatmeal Folks!
    Worked for me!
    Not only did ALL my cholesterol & triglyceride numbers came down dramatically, and my HDL is my highest ever!!!!

I have done research & barley & some other grains have the same effect, but you need less barley than oatmeal for the same effect!

I use the instant packets (organic) sprinkled with cinnamon & nutmeg. Add a chopped Fuji apple (sometimes I microwave again to warm them) sprinkled with more cinnamon. Add 3oz Fage low-fat yogurt & often 14g walnuts & 14g 82% dark chocolate. With decaf cutter or herbal tea.

Took me about 2-3 weeks to want to have it for breakfast, but now it’s automatic!

From my UAC January post:
    “MadisonMolly2017
    January 29, 2021 1:11AM
    Fantastic Labs TODAY!

Kidney tests
    Liver tests
    Blood pressure
    ALL Cholesterol #’s!!!!!!!! Oatmeal worked💖
    Blood Glucose
    All other Bloodwork

Many of test values are The Best I have ever seen them.”

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    February in Nebraska
    7edtc4r2ktnk.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    that is what I expected @nebslp when I think of winter in Nebraska!!! brrrrrrrr...

Oatmeal going well. It's not really something "new" for me as I have been using it for about 10 years or more to control my bloodwork #s but just in the summertime it lost it's appeal being "hot" and I couldnt cool down from my run as it was even after a shower. So, we shall see if I can continue again in the summer this year. I really REALLY need to esp as I get older and my arteries get more clogged up. My total C is never under 200 which is what it's supposed to be, but my ratio HDL to LDL is normally WAY better than it needs to be so apparently for me at least eating oatmeal raises my HDL and maybe lowers the LDL. Hard to say.

Still laughing at @texasgardnr 's remark about the earth shook just enough....

Summerin 80 degrees todaybut20snextweek
  • nebslp
    Options
    Sorry about the sideways picture. I tried and tried to delete it and thought I was successful, but guess what! It showed up again!! Pretty much the story of my life with electronics. We had 7" of snow last week and that's all that was left, but I liked the lumpy look of the pasture. I'll have to figure out the orientation problem on my phone.

I like oatmeal and I feel better already (maybe in my head but still..). I added cinnamon, stevia, a little vanilla, and a dab of honey for a little sweetness and that was good. I didn't add blueberries because they are frozen and I wasn't sure when to add them. Anyway, I often have a yogurt with blueberries in the afternoon so I decided to add them in my overnight oatmeal instead. My dr told me awhile back that he wished he could bottle up my good cholesterol and give to other people since its always been so high and my ratio is good. It's just that the overall is WAY over desirable. I'm sure he'll want me to go on statins but I've been resisting that. It would be nice to do an experiment with just the oatmeal first but I'm sure he won't see it that way. It's hopeful to see your positive results @MadisonMolly2017.uj

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Sorry about the sideways picture. I tried and tried to delete it and thought I was successful, but guess what! It showed up again!! Pretty much the story of my life with electronics. We had 7" of snow last week and that's all that was left, but I liked the lumpy look of the pasture. I'll have to figure out the orientation problem on my phone.

I like oatmeal and I feel better already (maybe in my head but still..). I added cinnamon, stevia, a little vanilla, and a dab of honey for a little sweetness and that was good. I didn't add blueberries because they are frozen and I wasn't sure when to add them. Anyway, I often have a yogurt with blueberries in the afternoon so I decided to add them in my overnight oatmeal instead. My dr told me awhile back that he wished he could bottle up my good cholesterol and give to other people since its always been so high and my ratio is good. It's just that the overall is WAY over desirable. I'm sure he'll want me to go on statins but I've been resisting that. It would be nice to do an experiment with just the oatmeal first but I'm sure he won't see it that way. It's hopeful to see your positive results @MadisonMolly2017.uj

Hey @nebslp
    About 30 years ago I knew another new mom...her HDL was 99, and her total CHOL was super high, but her Doctor told her all that mattered was the ratio...

Might be worth some internet research as statins are likely not without risk. I was on them prior to losing weight...
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    that is what I expected @nebslp when I think of winter in Nebraska!!! brrrrrrrr...

Oatmeal going well. It's not really something "new" for me as I have been using it for about 10 years or more to control my bloodwork #s but just in the summertime it lost it's appeal being "hot" and I couldnt cool down from my run as it was even after a shower. So, we shall see if I can continue again in the summer this year. I really REALLY need to esp as I get older and my arteries get more clogged up. My total C is never under 200 which is what it's supposed to be, but my ratio HDL to LDL is normally WAY better than it needs to be so apparently for me at least eating oatmeal raises my HDL and maybe lowers the LDL. Hard to say.

Still laughing at @texasgardnr 's remark about the earth shook just enough....

Summerin 80 degrees todaybut20snextweek

@SummerSkier
    Glad to hear you do (and have) see a difference in some of your cholesterol numbers too.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    OK, after reading all posts about oatmeal, and especially the information/ testimonies about good results with lab numbers after eating oatmeal I'm joining in.

I always enjoy oatmeal, but I am not consistent in remembering to make it. My numbers unexpectedly went a bit wonky the last two labs and it surprised both my doctor and myself. He said perhaps because I'm getting older or genetics catching up?? Or I've been slipping on my eating. He is going to watch it for a while as it is just starting the creep up. So I'm now going to eat oatmeal daily.

I'm an Old Fashioned, unsweetened oatmeal, girl. From childhood. My favorite way that I like my oatmeal made: I add fresh blueberries while cooking (or occasionally strawberries), I top with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not. And sometimes toss on some additional berries just before eating.

Another way I like it: I add raisins, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts while cooking. Then unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not.

If my husband added apple to his oatmeal I will use his leftover apple and chop it, add cinnamon, chopped walnuts. And again unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not, always depending on my mood or what is in the refrigerator 😁.

Rarely I might add honey or maple syrup on my oatmeal. But mostly I like it best unsweetened.

I played with making refrigerator oatmeal several times last summer. I tried different ideas that I found online on how to make it and what people added to it. I ate it cold since it was summer. It was tasty, but most of the time I just made oatmeal on the stove as usual if I wanted oatmeal, as I never got into the habit of making it the night before.

@nebslp I really liked your picture!

@MadisonMolly2017 thanks for your testimony about your lab numbers 👍. I also didn’t realize was how much it could elevate HDL until I read your posts. I'm psyched to join in since I had read that! I like your 'I will' of adding one serving of veggies or fruit at each of your meals.

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Paper Tiger 🐯 = file cabinet/ old papers
    🌿🐯🌳 = hidden papers (such as found on book shelves or in drawers/closets)
    📄📬 = new paper and/ or mail
    🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital
    🦋 = Declutterfest
    🥣 = oatmeal

February 1: 📄📬, 🦋
    February 2: 📄📬, 🦋🥣
    February 3: 📄📬, 🦋
    February 4: 📄📬, 🦋🥣

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    OK, after reading all posts about oatmeal, and especially the information/ testimonies about good results with lab numbers after eating oatmeal I'm joining in.

I always enjoy oatmeal, but I am not consistent in remembering to make it. My numbers unexpectedly went a bit wonky the last two labs and it surprised both my doctor and myself. He said perhaps because I'm getting older or genetics catching up?? Or I've been slipping on my eating. He is going to watch it for a while as it is just starting the creep up. So I'm now going to eat oatmeal daily.

I'm an Old Fashioned, unsweetened oatmeal, girl. From childhood. My favorite way that I like my oatmeal made: I add fresh blueberries while cooking (or occasionally strawberries), I top with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not. And sometimes toss on some additional berries just before eating.

Another way I like it: I add raisins, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts while cooking. Then unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not.

If my husband added apple to his oatmeal I will use his leftover apple and chop it, add cinnamon, chopped walnuts. And again unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or not, always depending on my mood or what is in the refrigerator 😁.

Rarely I might add honey or maple syrup on my oatmeal. But mostly I like it best unsweetened.

I played with making refrigerator oatmeal several times last summer. I tried different ideas that I found online on how to make it and what people added to it. I ate it cold since it was summer. It was tasty, but most of the time I just made oatmeal on the stove as usual if I wanted oatmeal, as I never got into the habit of making it the night before.

@nebslp I really liked your picture!

@MadisonMolly2017 thanks for your testimony about your lab numbers 👍. I also didn’t realize was how much it could elevate HDL until I read your posts. I'm psyched to join in since I had read that! I like your 'I will' of adding one serving of veggies or fruit at each of your meals.

🤠🌺

@texasgardnr
    We might have to rename our group🤣
    Oatmeal a Day Keeps the...
    Thank you for your various recipes!

Remember a smaller amount of barley works even better!!

Re: the HDL
    I also switched from
    Whipped butter to olive oil
    And I ate copious amounts of walnuts
    Both of which have lots of omega 3’s

Just saying not sure exactly why the HDL rose :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ✅Feb 1
    B:🍎 L: unsweetened applesauce
    S: radishes D: cherry tomatoes 🍅 & onion 🧅
    ✅Feb 2 B: 🍎 L: applesauce
    S: carrots D: Large Greek 🥗 (lettuce tomatoes green-onion red pepper lemon juice)
    ✅Feb 3 B: 🍎 L 🥕 D 🧅 + peas
    ✅Feb 4 B: 🍎L 🥬 🍅 green onion, red 🫑, 🍋 celery D: 🍎🍎
    Feb 5
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    February is the heart month challenge and Oatmeal challenge evidently. B)
    This is awesome!!!! Yeah I don't even want to think about statins. My Dad was taking them for a long long time and he would always joke when we went out to breakfast about eating eggs and he would have to take an extra lipitor. Then the really stupid part is that when he started having chest muscle aches and saw the Dr they decided that the statin might be causing the pain so he cut back on them. In reality that was the OPPOSITE of what needed to happen He had blockage and the chest pain? minor heart attacks. Now whenever someone says they have muscle pain in their chest I remind them that their heart is a muscle and they could be having blockages...
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 2 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 3 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 4 = M 🌟, W 🌟
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    go @PKM0515 you are really starting the month off well! It's been a rainy gloomy cold morning here so tada! I started my tax return. WOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!! i have my eye on a new pair of running shoes and the tax return would definitely contribute to my addiction.

Maddie, you are doing really well with having the right food groups and such a wonderful variety. It's amazing to me how much GOOD nutritional and great tasting food there is in the world if we choose to see it and use it frequently.

Summer
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    go @PKM0515 you are really starting the month off well! It's been a rainy gloomy cold morning here so tada! I started my tax return. WOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!! i have my eye on a new pair of running shoes and the tax return would definitely contribute to my addiction.

Maddie, you are doing really well with having the right food groups and such a wonderful variety. It's amazing to me how much GOOD nutritional and great tasting food there is in the world if we choose to see it and use it frequently.

Summer

Thanks Summer! @SummerSkier You are an inspiration to me & your avid love of veggies has definitely helped.

I totally agree re: the many foods that taste great & are good for us! I’ve always loved veggies, just not the prep 🤣

I was surprised, no thrilled, that the two Large stalks of celery ~ 4 oz - DOUBLED the potassium in my Greek salad. Yesterday I got 2,092 mg...closest I’ve been for awhile to the 2,600 mg goal!!

The last micro to fix!!! (My potassium level is normal but kidney doc wants it higher!)

I might just have to eat two delicious salads a day!! Or break out veggies on baked potatoes!

YAY for new running shoes!!! Way to incentivize ty our tax task!!

Speaking of which, I gotta replace my shoes...😁
  • nebslp
    Options
    Quick oatmeal report before I get busy cleaning/decluttering. I hadn’t thought about using my much loved organic maple syrup as a sweetener but at the mention of it by @texasgardnr it was a 🛎 moment! I LoVeD it! Best idea ever! My maple syrup has been very ignored since I rarely eat pancakes. Now it will definitely be on the menu again😊
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Paper Tiger 🐯 = file cabinet/ old papers
    🌿🐯🌳 = hidden papers (such as found on book shelves or in drawers/closets)
    📄📬 = new paper and/ or mail
    🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital
    🦋 = Declutterfest
    🥣 = oatmeal

February 1: 📄📬, 🦋
    February 2: 📄📬, 🦋🥣
    February 3: 📄📬, 🦋
    February 4: 📄📬, 🦋🥣
    February 5: 📄📬, 🦋🥣

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I had forgotten about the barley discussion in the past. Thanks for the reminder! Yes to olive oil! And I will have to be more generous with the walnuts now 😊. Your habit tracker is so colorful and awesome. Unsweetened applesauce is a delicious way to sneak in another apple! One year long ago someone gave me a bag of cooking pears from their tree. We made unsweetened pear sauce 😋🍐.

@SummerSkier I'm sorry that your dad was having heart issues back when that was happening. That is scary. A new pair of running 👟shoes would be the perfect purchase with your tax money 💰.

@PKM0515 look at you getting all those 🌟 stars 🌟 !! You are doing so well!

@nebslp Now I'm so glad that I mentioned the maple 🍁 syrup in my post. Enjoy!!

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ✅Feb 1
    B:🍎 L: unsweetened applesauce
    S: radishes D: cherry tomatoes 🍅 & onion 🧅
    ✅Feb 2 B: 🍎 L: applesauce
    S: carrots D: Large Greek 🥗 (lettuce tomatoes green-onion red pepper lemon juice)
    ✅Feb 3 B: 🍎 L 🥕 D 🧅 + peas
    ✅Feb 4 B: 🍎L 🥬 🍅 green onion, red 🫑, 🍋 celery D: 🍎🍎
    ✅Feb 5 B: 🍎 L: 🥕 D:🍎 not my best food day, but at least I got these in!
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. 👋🏻
    February’s habit is vastly different to my previous habit. My focus for February is positivity. And working at not letting other people bring me down or detract from my positivity. I will work at being mindful of emotions and words and not getting pulled into negative talk. I will need to work at giving myself permission to withdraw from negativity. Success to me looks like a happier, healthier mind and soul, with more energy for myself, to continue on my health and well-being journey. 🌟
    I’m there to support you all with your habits and would be grateful for any support or words of wisdom from you. 💭💞
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @SummerSkier and @texasgardnr!

@SuperMotivated56, I think your February goal is wonderful! 💟

Good job, everyone! 😊

Feb 1 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 2 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 3 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 4 = M 🌟, W 🌟
    Feb 5 = M 🌟, W 🌟