Binge Eating

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Almost binged but stopped myself before I really got into it....yay....still managed to stuff a few extra calories in...scales rewarded me with 3 extra lbs this morning....it will take me all week to get it off....sigh

gewel is right; you stopped and that's excellent progress! ANd just think: would you have been able to do that a year ago? You've come a long way!

NovusDies wrote: »
    I binged yesterday and later came the reflux. It sucks. I’m already dreading my next weigh in at the nutritionist office bc I haven’t been walking as much as I was last month.

Those types of weigh-ins can be problematic to show progress anyway. I was told yesterday at the doctor's office I had gained weight. I promptly told them I had not, I had lost. They argued because they only cared what the scale said. I told them they could view it anyway they want but since no fat was gained it was not worth mentioning. I am heavily retaining water due to the poison ivy at the moment. These people and their scales...

Way to go! I need to have such back bone when dealing with physicians.

this is a lot of why I stuck with my PCP when I moved, even though she's now a 4 hour drive away from me - she's an excellent cheerleader when it comes to my weight loss efforts, and she isn't "married" to the scale either.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    36 hours of binging is better than 36 days.....no matter how many times I let myself eat too much, I never learn....back at it today!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    @conniewilkins56 I'm on that boat with you. I was doing so good despite going through some stress lately but then today I just gave in, bought two bags of candy, and ate to the point of stomach ache and nausea. So now I'll be practicing self forgiveness and striving for better choices tomorrow.
  • conniewilkins56
    amart4224 wrote: »
    @conniewilkins56 I'm on that boat with you. I was doing so good despite going through some stress lately but then today I just gave in, bought two bags of candy, and ate to the point of stomach ache and nausea. So now I'll be practicing self forgiveness and striving for better choices tomorrow.

It’s a horrible cycle...trying so hard to break old habits....I ate candy, plus frozen cookies!...and more....sick as a dog today!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Hang in there ladies! I did a full on binge 2 weeks ago but a couple of days in I reflected and recognized what I was doing and stopped, forgave myself and the very next day went back to meeting my low cal goals. This is HUGE for me as that usually throws me off for months and large weight gains as a result. So get back to it ladies...you can do it!
  • conniewilkins56
    joone_9 wrote: »
    Hang in there ladies! I did a full on binge 2 weeks ago but a couple of days in I reflected and recognized what I was doing and stopped, forgave myself and the very next day went back to meeting my low cal goals. This is HUGE for me as that usually throws me off for months and large weight gains as a result. So get back to it ladies...you can do it!

I have an “ all or nothing” mentality with food...I either diet or I eat ridiculous amounts of food....this is why maintenance down the road scares me to death...I never maintain and I either gain or lose!

Happy you took control of your binge!

And welcome to Larger Losers!...feel free to jump in anywhere and share your thoughts and ideas!
  • joone_9
    Yes! I totally understand that thinking. I’m unfortunately usually all in or all out too which is why getting back to it immediately after a binge is such a huge step forward for me. I hope hope hope I can keep doing that when I mess up cause ..well...I usually fall into bad habits the moment anything happens that’s out of the norm (travel, illness, stressful day etc). Maybe I’m keeping with it cause my norm right now is craziness and includes all of those things?!🤔🤷‍♀️
  • amart4224
    Here I am, two days later and still not back on plan. I ate nothing but fast food, candy, and mac and cheese today and that's been my norm for the past week or so. I'm dealing with stress around my rental house and crappy landlord, to the point that I'm having to end my lease and find a new place and am now packing and doing all the necessary stuff to get moved here in about two weeks. I think most of my binging is tied to the stress and the insomnia due to the stress, and it's just old habits resurfacing.

My plan for tomorrow is to hit the grocery store in the morning and stock up on healthy but easy to prep foods, and hopefully that will make the fast food and candy runs less tempting.
  • conniewilkins56
    Planning is key....I am finding it easier to get back on track than I used to...you can do this!
  • amart4224
    Despite my best effort to stock the house with healthy, non-binge-inducing foods, I continued to struggle this week. I was especially going for carb and sodium heavy foods (never in my life have I eaten as much Campbell's chicken noodle soup as I did this week). Today is the first day in probably 10+ days that I am under my calorie goal, so hopefully this signals the end of the binging.
  • conniewilkins56
    Is it stress from moving?....are you getting enough sleep?...do you eat enough protein?...I am finding all of these areas cause me to binge....anger and frustration will set me off, too....I am slowly learning to forgive myself and get back at it....a three day binge isn’t as bad as a ten day one!....you can do this!....keep at it every day!
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Does anyone else watch YouTube eaters? I love watching Beard Meats Food. I just started watching Eric the Electric.
    I don't know why I enjoy it. It doesn't make me hungry and it doesn't make me grossed out either. So weird.
  • amart4224
    @conniewilkins56 I think it is a combination of stress, boredom due to work being very slow right now, and poor food choices (not enough protein and eating a lot of carbs rather than fats that make me feel full). Also I've been having a hard time with getting enough water and other fluids lately - almost like I have an aversion to them right now and no idea why that is.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I'm starting to lean towards blaming the "gut microbiome" more and more.

Different microbes need to eat different things. And they have a direct line to your brain - setting/directing your appetite. Apparently this community in our guts is constantly changing, and the ones that you feed the most become stronger and more plentiful. So if you go through a spell of eating lots of sugar or refined carbs, the microbes that thrive on that will get the upperhand, and they will start screaming the loudest.

It all sounds like a science fiction novel - but there is lots of research on this now.

Maybe there are some that don't like too much water diluting their diet??
  • amart4224
    @lauriekallis I've definitely noticed that if I have an exceptionally high carb/sugar day then I will have stronger cravings for them the next day. Also, when I'm going through binges I seem to get stuck in a sugar to salt back to sugar cycle where eating sweets makes me crave salty food which then turns me right back to sweets and I go back and forth and never feel satisfied.
  • joone_9
    I’m really fighting the urge to binge...I’m doing my best to resist but wowsa! I hate feeling this way. How do you all make it through rough times...I need reminders. I’m trying tea right now😳😒😞
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    joone_9 wrote: »
    I’m really fighting the urge to binge...I’m doing my best to resist but wowsa! I hate feeling this way. How do you all make it through rough times...I need reminders. I’m trying tea right now😳😒😞

A walk will sometimes help me. Or eating something tangy - like a dill pickle or kimchi and a big glass of super cold water.

You can do this!
  • conniewilkins56
    Call a friend,diet hot chocolate.....this is so hard for me to have an answer for....think about how bad you will feel after you binge....I wish I had the right answer....go shopping!