What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @mshawski sounds great! Would look lovely on my bedroom window. I have no curtains, not overlooked, and I like to wake up with the sun. Thank you!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @Chinikiri that sounds like a good plan.
  • fractaltiger
    fractaltiger Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For me, this is going to be an attitude adjustment day. Every now and then little things just stack up on me. Hearing they are extending the tax deadline, knowing what is waiting on my desk, not sleeping well last night, cold rain outside, etc...

So I am making sure I get my cardio in this morning first thing and have spent the time thinking about what I am thankful for and how to approach the day so it turns into a good one.

How do you turn days around when they start out being off in some way?
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me, this is going to be an attitude adjustment day. Every now and then little things just stack up on me. Hearing they are extending the tax deadline, knowing what is waiting on my desk, not sleeping well last night, cold rain outside, etc...

So I am making sure I get my cardio in this morning first thing and have spent the time thinking about what I am thankful for and how to approach the day so it turns into a good one.

"knowing what is waiting on my desk" - it means you have work and many people don't
    "not sleeping well last night" - but still staying in the warm bed
    "cold rain outside" - nature needs some rain and just remember that there's always a sun above the clouds
    Bottom line: When thinking twice, may be everything is not so bad :)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    *snip*

My day can't start out being off seeing as I start the day with prayer. I'm a Christian so that means I'm thinking about God and how I can better manifest His established plan for me using the extra day He's generously granted to me.

For you, this could be prayer. It could be meditation. It could be any other practice that allows you to ground yourself as soon as you get up so that you may hold a positive, intentional space for your day's actions.

But also... 🗣️ "Boo, to taxes, ever-changing tax laws and the endless reams of tax forms!"

🤗
  • fractaltiger
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life and @MaltedTea
    Thank you! I had thought through those things as well including the prayer. I just knew that with what was coming I needed to decide to be positive about everything or I'd feel pulled too many directions. It was a positive day. I was busy all day. Now I'm just tired but I get to relax and enjoy my Mom.
  • shrkldy
    shrkldy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Question: Do most people subtract calories from their daily intake based on their exercise? I haven’t been...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @shrkldy Now that I'm <10 lbs and <5% body fat to goal metrics, yes.

There was even a point around this time last year where my weight didn't budge for several weeks...until I ate more (which was a significant portion of the "exercise calories").

To lose weight, the body must be in a caloric deficit. At the same time, the deficit can be self-defeating if it's excessive. To avoid this, you may want to recalculate your caloric needs from time to time...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

^^ The above link works on desktop but I'm unsure if your phone will explode if you click it from within the app.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    shrkldy wrote: »
    Question: Do most people subtract calories from their daily intake based on their exercise? I haven’t been...

I do. I find if I don’t eat all my allotted calories - including the exercise ones - I am dizzy when I workout. My progress is slow sometimes (4-5lbs a month) but it’s more sustainable for me in the long run. I’m set to lightly active and 1.5lbs a week. Lightly active may be an overestimate some days but after several failed attempts this seems to be the combo that works best for me.
  • fractaltiger
    Options
    shrkldy wrote: »

I do as well. I set my base calories as if I am sedentary. Then I let my exercise add to that base rate.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I also do. I pretty much do it the same at @fractaltiger .

One note, I've found my Whoop band gives a much, much lower calorie burn than MPF or my Peloton App. The biggest differences are for things like pilates and yoga. Strength training and spin classes aren't that far off normally.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    I give myself leeway. I do a lot of pre-planning, so I plan meals and snacks to stay under 1200 calories, that's without exercise. However, if I do go over my 1200, and eat into my exercise calories, I don't stress - too much to stress about for real already - as long as I don't go over the total. I reckon that I am still pretty much under calories to what I would have been without MFP and UAC.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    I raised the problem (?) of why and how I need to keep an eye on protein at my age - 69. It seems my bones and muscles still need it. I have been looking at this, have set my protein requirements at 30%, which seems to be a minimum requirement. I found that I am mostly way under as I like carbs and fat to make up the bulk of my calorie intake. I am now paying more attention. Not easy!

• mshawski
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    I raised the problem (?) of why and how I need to keep an eye on protein at my age - 69. It seems my bones and muscles still need it. I have been looking at this, have set my protein requirements at 30%, which seems to be a minimum requirement. I found that I am mostly way under as I like carbs and fat to make up the bulk of my calorie intake. I am now paying more attention. Not easy!

I have a small chip on my shoulder about protein - as I have been a (lacto ovo) vegetarian for 20 years and am so tired of having people tell me I won’t get enough protein or iron and am destined to be “sickly”. So over the years it’s developed into a daily habit based off a grudge. Lol. Maybe not the best reason to develop a new habit, but it benefits me in the end so it can’t be that bad. But I also like carbs and fats better, so I understand that. I lower my carb goal by 10% and up my fat and protein 5% each. It is easier for me to hit a higher protein number if my fat number is a little higher. I have found the combo of egg whites, avocado, and cheese for breakfast to be a god send to hitting that goal daily.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    @mshawski I have to say, I don't have a 'problem' about protein, and I agree with you. Like you, like I said, I like carbs and fat, but I try and eat a balanced diet, I think. I eat enough protein, I think. I was a little concerned about Vitamin C, but I monitored it for a few days, and seem to be well over what I need. Someone else raised Calcium, so I monitored that for a bit and I was getting plenty, yoghurt and cheese. Like most people, I am trying to lose weight, so I monitor the intake of food, log it, and exercise, very simply. I am often crap at it, but I keep going.
    Based on what I have found, I think that what matters for me is to get a healthy balanced diet, which includes proteins (it does), carbs (it does - not sugary stuff, but nice whole wheat bread, pasta, potatoes, brown rice mostly, but I am partial to some nice white jasmin or long grain rice with my curry), and mostly the right kinds of fats (it does, olive oil - think Mediterranean Diet - some lovely French butter), enough fruit and vegetables for Vitamins (it does), even fashionable Vitamin D, which I get by walking outside in the 300+ days of sunshine we get a year here. My partner's GP prescribed him Vitamin D the other day, to a man who goes out walking or biking for several hours in this sunshine every day!
    I sometimes look at North American diets and think that some people really need a bit of education into what is good, but more importantly healthy, and, into the bargain, tasty food!
    I am not perfect and some days I just like having carbs and fat, macaroni-cheese, ready-made, pizza, just carbs and fat, too much salt, total comfort food. I feel disgusting on those days and unable to cook. Become my friend and look at the horrors I eat sometimes, but also how I try to eat and cook (sometimes just throw together) some reasonably healthy and tasty food. I cannot eat it if it doesn't taste nice. I don't have a blog, or a vlog, I don't want followers but sometimes I despair looking at people's menus and I think, I can help! I have plenty of problems, so you can help me in exchange!. Sorry about rant, but we can do so much better if we actually start to love food for the blessing it is!
  • mshawski
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @Chinkiri - Sorry if my rant came across as defensive against what you had posted as it wasn’t meant to be. I was trying to say others in my “real” life have made me defensive about it and so I end up watching it more than I should. I don’t think I said that well, so my apologies ❤️
  • fractaltiger
    Options
    Just a note, I carry almonds for snacks and edamame is good any time.