Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    I have not heard from the cardiologist yet today. I wasn't associating the pain with anything cardiac related, since it really felt more muscular. I'll mention it to them when we talk. My next follow up isn't until July 6.

I would try to move that up, a work in if possible. I'd just hate for you to wait it out and it be something that needs attention. I'd suffer the embarrassment of transient gas pain over the the cardiac implications any day given your recent surgery.

I am still anxious feeling, my head kinda hurts. I think it is a migraine waiting to be ugly, food likely triggered that. So I'll take some med.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think so too @swenson19d .
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @swenson19d Usually about 2.5 cups. I used to make 8 cups in the coffee pot (about 3 big mugs) but since being home & having to share the pot woth DH it's a little less. Sometimes I make afternoon coffee but usually I'm lazy & just have a diet coke.
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d I have not had any additional pain. The cardiologists nurse did call me back this morning and apologized for not getting back to me sooner. I mentioned the pain to her and, interestingly, she said she was not at work yesterday because the same thing had happened to her on Sunday night! Is there something in the air? Anyway, the cardiologist wants me to try going back on a low dose Metoprolol at night and monitor how I do. If nothing changes or if my BP/HR goes to low, I am to call them. Also, she is going to note the pain on my chart and said to let them know if it happens again. So, I'm satisfied. I'll start the Metoprolol again tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

As for the puppies, I haven't seen them in over a week, but their owner texted me this morning and said I need to come by. She said they are growing and wrestling with each other. I plan to try to stop by tomorrow. Pictures will follow.

Her mom is doing some better, but not listening to what the doctor's have told her. She is at her brother's house, taking the RX that is supposed to make her heart stronger. She is supposed to be resting, but went out and planted garden a couple of days ago when no one was home to "watch" her. I worry about her. Her next appointment isn't until 6 April. Hopefully the RX is working and they'll be able to do her surgery sooner than they had hoped.
  • swenson19d
    @swenson19d I have not had any additional pain. The cardiologists nurse did call me back this morning and apologized for not getting back to me sooner. I mentioned the pain to her and, interestingly, she said she was not at work yesterday because the same thing had happened to her on Sunday night! Is there something in the air? Anyway, the cardiologist wants me to try going back on a low dose Metoprolol at night and monitor how I do. If nothing changes or if my BP/HR goes to low, I am to call them. Also, she is going to note the pain on my chart and said to let them know if it happens again. So, I'm satisfied. I'll start the Metoprolol again tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

As for the puppies, I haven't seen them in over a week, but their owner texted me this morning and said I need to come by. She said they are growing and wrestling with each other. I plan to try to stop by tomorrow. Pictures will follow.

Her mom is doing some better, but not listening to what the doctor's have told her. She is at her brother's house, taking the RX that is supposed to make her heart stronger. She is supposed to be resting, but went out and planted garden a couple of days ago when no one was home to "watch" her. I worry about her. Her next appointment isn't until 6 April. Hopefully the RX is working and they'll be able to do her surgery sooner than they had hoped.

Good to hear the doc's office got back... I still suspect COVID lingers. Too funny about the woman planting a garden. I mean, I understand. It is hard to do nothing and doing something often takes your mind of the why you can't do anything.
    @swenson19d Usually about 2.5 cups. I used to make 8 cups in the coffee pot (about 3 big mugs) but since being home & having to share the pot worth DH it's a little less. Sometimes I make afternoon coffee but usually I'm lazy & just have a diet coke.

Dh bought diet cherry dr pepper. I gave up cokes ages ago (other than the occasional drive thru) and now he is buying cases of them. ugh... He is out to kill me from the inside out. I'll be sure to just not start drinking them. 2.5 cups of coffee isn't bad. I usually have 2-3 cups of tea. @HonuNui introduced us to a woman that has her own little coffee field in Kona. I've been thinking about reaching out to her, but DH doesn't seem to savor the coffee like it needs to be. It might as well be instant, it should be appreciated not adulterated with 5 spoons of sugar and powdered creamer, the horror. LOL! Might as well put ketchup on a steak bub.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Well away from work day wasn't good. And yesterday was just as bad. Good news, I have heaps of glycogen stores! That's how I'm choosing to think of it.

Practice test day for the students. I'll be following them with clipboards all day. Sigh.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    @swenson19d - definitely think that is a sign from Alex! So glad your DD is going back to school. She will get her feet back under herself. Sometimes it just takes a little bit. Having you there encouraging her lets her know that you are there for her and are cheering her on, even if she acts like she doesn't want it.
    Coffee - we drink a lot of coffee, more than @RunsOnEspresso! DH will get up really early and have a Keurig cup then turn the coffee grinder/maker on for me and go back to bed. We make 10-11 cups and drink most of it. He will even drink it in the afternoon/evening. I can't have anything caffeinated after 11:30 or so or I can't get to sleep at night. I also get a decaf coffee from Starbucks fairly often. Just a latte with extra/long shots and fat free milk. I love coffee with good strong flavor. Like @swenson19d I see no purpose in loading it up with sugar, cream or flavors cause you lose the wonderful coffee-ness! Maybe I need a 'coffee name' 😁 We met a small coffee grower in Costa Rica. It is interesting there that the government encourages and helps the small growers. One of them became famous after a businessman from Japan bought all of their coffee for a restaurant there. he coffee ended up winning all kinds of awards and it was just from a few small trees in their yard!
    I don't drink sodas anymore, not for a long long time. I can't even remember the last time I had one. Sometimes I miss the carbonation so now I have sparking water instead. DH doesn't grocery shop and I don't buy them so the only time he gets one is if he goes out for take out.
    @quilteryoyo - I am so glad you spoke to the cardiologists office and they took note of the pain in conjunction with the BP. I think maybe the mom planting a garden wasn't too much effort unless she was hauling bags of soil or fertilizer around. Just the planting process might just be calming because she is actively doing something with her hands and being outside.

Yesterday was such a busy day for me workout/exercise wise and when we got home from Agility I was so hungry. I did good though and just had a big glass of water. I think it also helped that I was exhausted. Hobbes and I just curled up on the couch and snuggled for a couple of hours before going to bed.

I posted on the running challenge that I am trying to find some metrics to help me with my effort levels when I am running and for indicating when I need to rest, or can push harder. With the PM most of the normal measurements are no longer applicable. So like HR zones because the PM determines what it thinks my requirements are it may push my HR to 140 when I am just walking or leave it be at 85 when I am trying to run. I am hoping that may improve again once I am bale to run more consistently again but I still don't think zones will make much sense. I also used to use RHR to determine when I needed to schedule a rest day. If it was consistently increasing I knew it was time to rest. now it is always paced at 60 so who knows... I thought a new app I found (Training Today) would help by using HRV but apparently the PM messes with that too. Looking at the data from my watch you can see exactly when I got the PM and how flat and unvarying it is now. If you have any ideas or insight I would welcome them!!
    56rimlpu5kgx.jpeg
  • shanaber
    @Avidkeo - just think of all the steps you will get following them around today!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    We are huge coffee drinkers, we have the pot and the keurig running all the time! DH is definitely more of a drinker than I am. I am happy with 2 large cups in the AM and then usually do not touch the stuff for the rest of the day. DH just brews and brews and brews. I finally got him to switch to the low acid stuff to save our teeth and tummies.

@shanaber I use STRYD. Mainly used for bikes, this company has cracked the nut on runners too when it comes to power meters (debatable who you talk to). You do have to buy their foot pod and the data is super geeky, but it will "level" out your training.

This weekend I didn't watch what I ate and I am sure I probably overate a few hundred cals a day. I did get in a solid 5.5 mile run on Sunday with ladder tempo repeats. I was crazy lazy all weekend though, sit on the couch and watch youtube videos. We did manage a few things to get ready for the move, dump out old planters that were growing weeds.

Today I am dragging again, I woke up thinking about the water lines on the ranch and how to be strategic on what I do first. I completely forgot to mail in the check for the burn permit, doh! One of mom's really old (1970's) horse trailer is gone, so thankful. I was really surprised at how many people wanted it, maybe b/c it was free? But it was not road worthy.

Things are moving along though! I got my funding line today so I was able to request a date for movers. I got in all the applications for housing, fingers crossed I get something quickly. My prickly airman who left 4 months ago is now asking for all the derogatory paperwork he ever received. I suspect he is up to something, he told me he wants to use it to "mentor" his young Airmen BS. I am sure he is looking for a mistake or loophole to overturn some of the stuff in his records. I told him he was provided copies when it was given to him and I would see if I have time to look for it.

I pushed my 4 mile run to today, but now we have 40 mph winds. I am tired, but I know when I get home I will sit on the couch, if I am really tired, I would sleep. I think I may have some adrenal fatigue, I seem to have the symptoms. Alas there is not much to do about other than eat well and rest...pshhh who has time for that?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited March 2021

Dh bought diet cherry dr pepper. I gave up cokes ages ago (other than the occasional drive thru) and now he is buying cases of them. ugh... He is out to kill me from the inside out. I'll be sure to just not start drinking them. 2.5 cups of coffee isn't bad. I usually have 2-3 cups of tea. @HonuNui introduced us to a woman that has her own little coffee field in Kona. I've been thinking about reaching out to her, but DH doesn't seem to savor the coffee like it needs to be. It might as well be instant, it should be appreciated not adulterated with 5 spoons of sugar and powdered creamer, the horror. LOL! Might as well put ketchup on a steak bub.

Guest house is available. I can run up the hill and get some coffee!
  • swenson19d
    HonuNui wrote: »

Guest house is available. I can run up the hill and get some coffee!

I need a get away but unsure that I can handle being away (with Eric), LOL! I think he's looking at the last week in May, but I have yet dare to mention Hilo. He'd have bags packed and tickets bought. I'll think on it more.
  • quilteryoyo
    @Avidkeo Yeah for the glycogen stores. That's a great attitude. Hope your students did well today.

@shanaber That's is an interesting HR chart. At least you know the pace maker is working. I have no insights for you. Sorry. Wish I did.

Glad things are moving along for your move @CMorning99 ! I know it's stressful.

I do drink a lot of coffee in the morning, but usually don't have any after 11 or so. One of my favorite smells is a freshly opened can of coffee. I keep threatening to get a coffee grinder so I can have that smell every day, but I haven't yet. LOL

I haven't had sodas in forever either. When I do drink them, whether they are diet or not, after about 15 minutes I get shaky and all weird feeling, like low blood sugar. It's just odd, so I just stopped. I didn't really like them that much anyway. I drank Dr. Pepper in HS because that's what a boy I had a crush on drank. The things we do for love. LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I used to drink so much more. But I'm lazy and don't want to fuss with everything 🤣

I just saw that Kona Joe Coffee has opened in Vegas. I think they are only roasting there now. I hope they do mail order or even if they sell in Vegas I would make a trip.

Some of the places we looked at in Hawaii had coffee plants. I can't grow *kitten* so probably not a selling point for us. (Future retirement plans lol)
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

Well, today has been rough. Not bad, but rough. I actually got up and drove to the track to run at 5:45, only to get there and realize I had forgotten everything (watch, headphones, light). I sat there for 5 min trying to figure out what to do, and ended up going home and getting everything and going back to the track. The run was a slog fest, lead legs, achy feet, and high HR. My body forgot how to run half asleep, dehydrated and hungry. I managed 4.5 out of my 5.5 miles when I ran out of time and had to head back to get ready for work.

At work now and well fed, too well probably. Scale was up 2lbs today, who knows. Everything (knee down) aches. I am inclined to blame my Nike Pegasus 37s. They haven't felt right since I bought them, interesting b/c I watched so many reviews and they seemed universally liked. I want them to work but IDK.

Nothing much else planned for the day. My young Airmen who said he was getting married (so he could get out of the dorms) announced that the marriage was delayed, he explained like he was talking about a roommate, that his fiancé's mother had passed away. Strange couple. I have another young couple who announced their intentions the other day as well, sounds like she is getting kicked out for medical reasons and so they are getting married...hope her intentions are good and she isn't looking for a sugar daddy.

I am going to call around and see if I can get someone to haul moms travel trailer to the shop to get fixed, it would help with my May timelines since already time is so cramped. I really hope that they are understanding there and let me have the month or 2 I need to get my feet under me.
  • swenson19d
    edited March 2021
    @CMorning99 Getting married for the benefits doesn’t seem very smart. I’d rather pay a penalties and be single and not have the mess and headache, lol!

I’m tired today and have zero motivation. I have an assignment to finish and meh, dun wanna and have eaten most of a frozen pizza and watched Hulu for hours. I had the j&j COVID vaccination today. By time I got home (~2 hrs) I felt tired (been up since 4-cats... well bear he was/is still lonely and has to have company all the time, I think cori was elsewhere or dd let him out), anyway tired so I laid down for a sec and could feel the sinking so I checked my BP and it was 57. A little lower than I usually see it, 65 thereabouts during the day. I figured I really was just tired. Then about an hour after that I felt weird and checked it again and it was 94 watching tv and eating pizza... yikes! It’s back down to 75 now. Anyway, I’m gonna nap then tackle that assignment.

I’m in trouble again with the school.
    My cpr/bls expires today and I have renewed it twice, one was okayed by the school and rejected once submitted so I did another and it was also rejected once submitted. I did the first one in February so I didn’t wait until the last minute. I’m not allowed to clinical tomorrow because I’m not compliant. Oh well. I have a BLS class the 9th and just miss the one clinical in addition to two we missed d/t weather. I really need to work on my people skills so I hate missing this opportunity. And I miss out on participating in the 500 doses of the vaccination on Monday. Poop. Oh well, my leg/hip is cranky anyway.

Nap nap with the bear bear then.
  • shanaber
    I would love to go to Hawaii. Don't think it will happen any time soon though since getting on a plane for hours is still not something we want to be doing. Maybe car trips in a month or so but that won't get us to Hawaii. One of our neighbors is from Hawaii and went there last year to see his mom in February or early March. He was stuck there nearly a full year and had to have people come and take care of his house. My feeling was that there are worse places to be stuck but I guess getting stuck unexpectedly anywhere for a long period is probably not ideal.
    @CMorning99 - I am glad things are coming together for you to get moved. Can't imagine getting married for the housing benefit or any other benefit but who knows there may be more to the story. How are the winds out your way? They have been awful here all day but I am hoping if it cools some I can get out for a run or even just a walk. It is still well over 90F though ☹️
    @swenson19d - Do you know why the renewal was rejected? That just seems so strange. Can you go in and argue it? Otherwise I would worry they will just reject it again.
    I hope you do ok with the vaccine - were you meaning HR and not BP? I have to assume so - no BP would be 57... well I guess the diastolic could. Anyways hope the nap helps!

I am sad... dd told us last night she won't be coming home for a visit before her new job starts. She is working the vaccine site several days the next 2 weeks and wants to spend what free time she has working on her house and visiting friends. I mean I get it but I was so looking forward to seeing her. I went to bed and cried and cried last night. I don't think I realized how excited I was too be getting to see her. She is hoping to come down maybe in late May or in June. She is working 4 days a week and 2 of those are WFH so she could do her clinical days and then fly down but she wants to wait until she is settled in. So today with the wind I didn't get a run in as planned to finish out the month and have spent most of the day looking at genealogy stuff. My hamstring is feeling great after the PT about killed me yesterday and I was hoping to give it a try today. Oh well another day of rest is never a bad thing, right?

Oh and we are looking to plan a get away for our anniversary in July. Dh wants to go to the Ritz Carton in Santa Barbara but OMG it is SO expensive. I just can't justify it, even if we can take Hobbes too... There has to be other really nice places that don't cost so much for a hotel room, even a super nice hotel room.
  • CMorning99
    @shanaber No wind today but it got up to 80 degrees. Sure miss the spring rain we didn't get. I was thinking of fun hotels, there is the Madonna Inn in San Louis Obispo, they have themed rooms and they are so much fun. There isn't a whole lot super close though, but you could drive in to SLO its self.

My feet and legs still ache, it has got to be those daggone shoes. Slow day at work so was looking at rentals in the area in case base housing falls through. So expensive and not pet friendly. The AF gives me $2400 a month for housing (rent/utilities) but since these numbers are public knowledge, anywhere near a base just looks at the chart and jacks up the price to the full amount and you end up paying out of pocket for utilities. And anytime the AF adjusts b/c the market goes up, rent goes up.