General Discussion about Weight Loss, Health, Habits, Exercise, Mindset, and Similar

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Bacon is a camping memory treasure.

I still camp and like to wake up early, when the sun still thinking about rising - you know, fishing-early-morning-time.

Building a fire from my stash of wood and tinder that I set up the night before is second nature. As the fire gets going the grate is placed and fresh, cold water is in my old camp percolator coffee pot. It takes awhile to get the coffee going and usually my hands and face are cold by this time; the fire feels good.

It is quiet in the twilight of early morning until all of a sudden, or so it seems, the birds awake and start calling and singing. That first cup of coffee is the best. When I've enjoyed that first cup it's time to rouse the camp with the smell of frying bacon.

The coffee pot gets positioned to a cooler corner of the grate and the old, well-seasoned cast iron pan is placed on the grate to heat, slowly. Rustling in the cooler yields not only the bacon, but other breakfast fixings. Time for that second cup of coffee as I slowly cook bacon for the camp.

It is totally the best.

Wow, this description was so clear I felt like I was there. Unfortunately now I want bacon and coffee (and I don't even drink coffee), lol. Seirously though you should write for a living.

Thank you for the nice words @cheryldumais - if I can get my non-coffee drinkers @papayahed - wanting a cuppa jo then perhaps I will write a novel in retirement. Now, to get to retirement!

You could ghost-write the cookbook I plan on doing when I retire.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I still camp and like to wake up early, when the sun still thinking about rising - you know, fishing-early-morning-time.

Building a fire from my stash of wood and tinder that I set up the night before is second nature. As the fire gets going the grate is placed and fresh, cold water is in my old camp percolator coffee pot. It takes awhile to get the coffee going and usually my hands and face are cold by this time; the fire feels good.

It is quiet in the twilight of early morning until all of a sudden, or so it seems, the birds awake and start calling and singing. That first cup of coffee is the best. When I've enjoyed that first cup it's time to rouse the camp with the smell of frying bacon.

The coffee pot gets positioned to a cooler corner of the grate and the old, well-seasoned cast iron pan is placed on the grate to heat, slowly. Rustling in the cooler yields not only the bacon, but other breakfast fixings. Time for that second cup of coffee as I slowly cook bacon for the camp.

It is totally the best.

Wow, this description was so clear I felt like I was there. Unfortunately now I want bacon and coffee (and I don't even drink coffee), lol. Seirously though you should write for a living.

Thank you for the nice words @cheryldumais - if I can get my non-coffee drinkers @papayahed - wanting a cuppa jo then perhaps I will write a novel in retirement. Now, to get to retirement!

Ah, man! Everyone writes a cookbook, @NovusDies ! It's like the required recording of a Christmas Album. I want to write the great American novel! No lacking of ambition here, lol :blush:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

It is totally the best.

Ah, man! Everyone writes a cookbook, @NovusDies ! It's like the required recording of a Christmas Album. I want to write the great American novel! No lacking of ambition here, lol :blush:

Wow. My other goal was to retrain my voice enough to release a Christmas single. Is there any other part of my garden you wish to trample? Not serious. Well serious about retraining my voice and doing a Christmas song but not serious about you trampling.

I like feeding people. I especially like that moment when someone tastes something I concocted and they get that happy expression on their face. I am writing all of these recipes anyway so I might as well compile them at some point and put them out there in the world.
  • hansep0012 wrote: »
    @Penguinswaddlenotme I had no idea Kroger had this option. Is it stocked in a particular area of the store (as in, where would I find it)?

I have quite a few Kroger locations by me with different layouts, but they're usually in a display in the front of the store (like when you walk in) or by the produce and deli area.

last night's choice was a little too salty for my taste, since I cut out a lot of sodium when I found out I had high blood pressure back in April. it was tasty though. I will just have to make sure to look at the sodium content more in the future.
  • papayahed wrote: »
    I was just at Kroger this morning and looked for this and lo and behold! I pass the Home Chef display every time I go in. They had three different selections and all of them looked good but I was hell bent on eggs. I'm definitly going to check it out in the future though.

I do suggest trying them. The oven ready ones are really nice with minimum prep. Usually just wash the produce and basically put everything in the provided baking tin and bake it. That's great for a fresh, pretty healthy meal during the week that only takes about 30 minutes.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I have been working on a family cook book for a few years....my husband is the baby of 8 and he has a massive amount of nieces and nephews plus immediate brothers and sisters and handed down recipes of family favorites....I have included short stories about who the recipe came from and some copies of original hand written recipes...it’s a work in progress!....will be finished eventually by me or my daughter...
  • NovusDies
    I am not ant-protein shake at all. They are just not normally part of my routine. I actually normally would only have one on a non-routine day to boost my protein.

While recovering my hunger has been a lot harder to manage and I am finding protein shakes really helpful. I was going to drink them anyway because I wanted to make sure I didn't run into any type of protein absorption limit.

The hunger abatement response for me is quite fast. I will file this away as helpful things to know about myself. I can almost always make that 160 calories fit.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    So true!
  • conniewilkins56
    How do you know when you are doing enough or too much or not enough?...of eating or exercising?...how much am I physically able to do?...when do you take a break or increase your food or change from sedentary to slightly active?...
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    papayahed wrote: »
    I may be in the minority but I dont like bacon on burgers.

I totally agree!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Sorry, bit late to the thread & you’ve moved on to exercise! ..... just someone mentioned bacon.......🤪🤪🤪
  • conniewilkins56
    Vegetarians like bacon!
  • conniewilkins56
    How do you know when you are doing enough or too much or not enough?...of eating or exercising?...how much am I physically able to do?...when do you take a break or increase your food or change from sedentary to slightly active?...

Any suggestions?....I hit my lowest weight today and have lost 106 lbs!....still averaging over one pound a week for almost two years!...May 28 will be two years!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member

Any suggestions?....I hit my lowest weight today and have lost 106 lbs!....still averaging over one pound a week for almost two years!...May 28 will be two years!

Because my days are irregular - I really prefer to stay at sedentary and add my exercise minutes. My day-to-day lifestyle - without the planned exercise isn't very active. This seems to give me a pretty accurate calorie goal. And it also keeps me on my toes and very aware of how much I'm moving.

I am still trying to figure out the best calorie deficit to aim for. That has really changed dramatically the closer I get to my final goal. Or something! lol. After a year of relative "ease" binging has become a real problem again and that only happens when my body goes into panic/I'm being starved mode. So I'm thinking that I need to maintain a very modest calorie deficit at this point and go very very very slowly.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    edited May 2021

I guess it's all about listening to your body. Are you getting really tired when exercising? Maybe increase your calories, change the timing of eating or increase protein or carbs... depending on which helps you get through the day. I find I need to hydrate before I exercise or I get dizzy.
    In terms of taking a break, I struggle with this so have only done it once as an experiment which didn't work so well. But if you can do it successfully, sometimes your body and mental health needs it! I've tried the 5:2 method just for a change of scenery (eat at 25% of calories for two days and at maintenance for the other 5) and this did work but I didn't think it was sustainable. If you're happy with your rate of loss, keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like it's working for you.
    I've lost 74kg and am about 7kg away from my goal.
  • lauriekallis
    maiomaio71 wrote: »

I guess it's all about listening to your body. Are you getting really tired when exercising? Maybe increase your calories, change the timing of eating or increase protein or carbs... depending on which helps you get through the day. I find I need to hydrate before I exercise or I get dizzy.
    In terms of taking a break, I struggle with this so have only done it once as an experiment which didn't work so well. But if you can do it successfully, sometimes your body and mental health needs it! I've tried the 5:2 method just for a change of scenery (eat at 25% of calories for two days and at maintenance for the other 5) and this did work but I didn't think it was sustainable. If you're happy with your rate of loss, keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like it's working for you.
    I've lost 74kg and am about 7kg away from my goal.

Please keep us updated...I'm having a heck of a time with those last kg. After losing 50kg I had 8kg to go before hitting my second goal (about 15kg down from my first goal) and things went a bit awry. I haven't given up, but it has been a dispiriting battle. Would love any advise you might have.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    edited May 2021
    Here he goes the annoying PAV again! And it's long! :lol:

@lauriekallis you have a daily goal that says: "maintain a calorie deficit in the 500-1000 range" and you celebrate a win anytime your deficit exceeds 500 Cal. You celebrate even when your deficit exceeds 1000 Cal.

Given your statements about where you are in your weight loss I think that both your internal definition of success and your goals are making things harder for you than they have to be.

It is not a victory to create a larger than 1000 Cal deficit; because you're setting yourself up for a reaction a few days down the road.

But, even more importantly, a more modest goal may help you move forward faster and easier.

Consider: "I want to maintain my weight and ideally create a 250 Cal or so average deficit during the next year. To achieve that I will aim for a 250-500 Cal deficit a day and be happiest when I achieve a 150 to 350 Cal deficit"

250 Cal a day will yield a 20 to 25lb loss by this time next year. Which I believe will place you either at or very close to your stretch goal. By this time next year!

You then follow this with at least one more year. Where "I want to maintain my weight and ideally create a 100 Cal average deficit during the year, but I will be happy with anything from a 150 Cal deficit to 150 Cal surplus on a daily/weekly basis".

The point there would not be whether you would lose the 10lbs that the 100 Cal deficit would create; but to continue to have the mindset that you're still striving for a bit of a loss. From a hormonal perspective the ideal would be to not achieve that loss but to achieve "actively managed" maintenance instead.

I would rince, lather, and repeat for at least one more year after that!

But I would expect somewhere in the one to three year mark you will find that you're sort of no longer feeling as hungry/pecky/wanting to eat more when you're within calories. That you're going to start feeling full enough, if you let yourself think about it, when you're within your calories and that you will no longer feel the need to limit your food by looking at your logging. i.e. that you will not need to "actively manage" as much as you were before.

I admit that I don't have major studies directly backing up anything here. Just anecdotal evidence that for most people the immediate post weight loss period is the most dangerous time to initiate a regain and that length and size of deficits play a role. A few sources that boil down to the fact that the #1 predictor of continuing maintenance is length of time at maintenance! :lol: And the benefit of my own n=1 "findings", some arrived to by planning, and some of them through sheer luck and happenstance retroactively analysed.

Whatever else happens at the time and acts as the "overt" reason and major contributor to regain, the main process is hormonally driven and the predisposition will be there regardless of whether we fully expect and guard against it or not. (Hyper)-vigilance and mitigation (all the changes, processes, and tricks we have developed) may allow us to plow through to the calmer waters of the other side!

And yes, it is definitely worthwhile: 7 years later I still marvel at being able to move around for hours at a time, without continuous pain, while not getting winded getting dressed!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Here he goes the annoying PAV again! And it's long! :lol:

you are never annoying. I'm blown away that you take the time to share your knowledge and reach out to help the way you do. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I running around like a chicken with its head cut off today....so I've just read quickly and can't properly absorb/respond yet.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.....

Have a great Sunday!