Downsizers-July Chat 2021

Options

Replies

• 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    @Aqualang26 Congrats on the 75 pounds!!! That is an amazing accomplishment!!
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    @Poohbah1972 Your lasagne looks delicious! I was planning some shrimp for dinner...but looking at that picture makes me want to change plans.
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    @jimboden3 Nice update. I hope you truly enjoy your trip. I think it's really awesome that you've done all 50 states with the family. Best wishes for a unremarkable surgery and speedy recovery on the hernia.
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    @littleflutterby If I remember right(?), you used to swim competitively? Any tips on figuring out how to do a swimmers turn? I've been hoping to get into a pool again sometime soon.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,900 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Question

How do you figure out from your Fitbit how far you walked?

Mine tells me under exercise
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    @littleflutterby
    You are doing very well with your steps. How is physio going? How are you liking Noom?

Thankyou! still no physio yet- trying to get answers about whether I have to pay or whether workers comp is going to pay- and I keep forgetting to call them to make an appointment. I did make an enquiry on thursday about prices and as it stands, if i have to pay, Gael's insurance only covers about half- but if I have to pay, I guess I have to! But Starbucks are dragging a bit when it comes to answers -_-

Noom is ok- I get bored very easily with things, but I like their step challenge because it pushes me a bit. One thing I need to do though is not to leave all of the steps until bedtime, because that gets me pumped up. So trying to keep on top of them today, as best I can.

You get added to a "group" once you get to a certain point, but not a lot of people post, I try and add a few things here and there.

Also, one thing that bugs me is at the beginning all of the articles were also videos- with audio at least, and after the free trial part all the articles are just written word... which doesnt help with my attention difficulties- but some of the things they talk about can be interesting, from a psych perspective!
    Question

How do you figure out from your Fitbit how far you walked?

In my settings, it asks about stride length. I think I added it by checking out what the average stride length is for someone my height (walking, that is) and it works it out for me!
    @littleflutterby If I remember right(?), you used to swim competitively? Any tips on figuring out how to do a swimmers turn? I've been hoping to get into a pool again sometime soon.

Yes! That's me :)

If you're talking about a tumble-turn, the best way I suggest if you've never done it is to practice turning in the middle of the pool. Doing freestyle/frontcrawl, do a few strokes, then on the last stroke, as your hand gets to your hip, straight down, put your head down to your chest and flip forward, slightly bending your knees (kinda in the middle between a full tuck and straight-legged). Once you have mastered that, do it closer to the wall. you want to be able to touch the wall with your feet with enough bend in your legs to push off- but not too close to the wall that you're just a little ball (or even worse, hit your ankle on the top of the wall, that's not fun haha). I usually turn when I'm about one full arm pull away from the wall.

As your feet touch the wall, move your arms up over your head, in a streamlined position (like the divers do, your upper arms hugging your ears, and then push off, turning back on to your front as you move.

Hopefully I explained that ok- I'm sure there are a tonne of videos nowadays (and they might have different methods depending on flexibility and comfort level). Turning was actually my strongest asset when I was a swimmer, which is why I always did so much better in a 25m pool compared to a 50m pool.

Also, when it comes to non-tumbleturns (like when swimming breaststroke for example,) rather than turning your whole body around while on the wall and then pushing off, it's best to touch with both hands, move one arm behind you and use the other arm and your feet to push off, turning as you moving, the added momentum helps you rotate quickly.

Hope this helps :):)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We walked and walked and walked ...left at 5am this morning ....we walked 4 hours and 30 minutes ....10.19 miles (WHAAAAT) 1863 calories burned ...and 26,453 (for our walk) there will be more by tonight ....we are all pooped ..I felt nauseous out there but I am fine now ...111 today ....it was almost 80 at 5am ... 113 tomorrow glad we are resting tomorrow and watching nascar :)
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Aqualang26 wrote: »
    Aqualang26
    Weigh-in Day: Saturday (Friday night)
    PW: 177
    CW: 174.6

Hit a milestone of 75 lbs off today! (75.4 to be exact) That feels significant and good.

HECK YEAH!!!! Nice lose Joyce. And fantastic milestone to boot! Aren't you amazing. :) WHoo o ohOOOOOOoooo
    @Jonathan ....Drinking lots of water (Not the pool water though).. :) Keep us posted1!! I drink 120 ounces of water a day ... I am baffled as to why I have these headaches almost daily ..

Do you test your blood sugar? You no longer getting hyperglycemic? I know I felt like a pile of poop on those days.
    red1185 wrote: »
    Red1185
    PW: 158.8
    CW: 158.6
    LTD: 21 lbs!!!

I’ve been keeping track of my NSVs, and they’ve been pretty good this week. The most exciting one was that a shirt that was too tight fits perfectly now.

Also, I promised myself that when I reached 20lbs I would buy myself something (small) travel-related as a reward. So now I get to pick something out. Woop woop!

Win is a win... Let us know what the NSV travel related gift is. :smiley:

jimboden3 wrote: »
    So I've been really 'quiet' the last several weeks after I decided to take a time-out from the weight loss challenge due to my decision to stop all exercising after a hernia appeared (pretty scary). I was finally able to meet with the surgeon yesterday and it turns out I have a bilateral inguinal hernia which in plain English means 2 hernias! I'm not really in pain but this reaffirmed my decision to stop weight lifting and rowing back in early June as being a good decision. I had also cut back on walking and it sounds like that may have been overkill but I'd been pretty anxious about making things worse so it was a relief for the doctor to tell me it was OK as long as kept an eye on my condition and used common sense.

Finally now the good news! Surgery is scheduled for the 28th and recovery should only be about 3 weeks but I was warned to not go crazy and try to make up for lost time right away and instead ease back into a routine. I was cleared to do some light hiking (just nothing stupid) which is great because we catch our flight to Denver tonight to begin our vacation where we'll be finishing the last of the 50 US states (capitals to be precise) - it's North Dakota by the way. We started this entirely by accident back in 2008 when we had a few extra days on our hands before going to a family reunion and decided to take a more round about trip and were looking for something different to do. With 4 active / involved kids it's been a little tricky to line up schedules over the years - but particularly more so as they got older with camps, marching band, sports, school trips, college summer classes. Anyway I'm pretty excited to close up this accomplishment. I've been laying low for what seems like 2 months now so the change of scenery and getting some steps out in some amazing parks / landscapes sounds enticing.

The other good news ... despite being a desk chair potato for the last 2 months (meaning I've been working a lot), I've not really gained any weight due to (reasonably) well behaved eating. I came in at 206.9 lbs this morning which means getting below 200 should be easily achievable once I'm cleared and comfortable to get back into exercising again. I hope to rejoin the challenge around late August (so please hold my spot!).

I'll try to share a few pictures of myself / family out and about this week.

JIm... That all sounds like pretty good news compared to where you were when you didn't know for sure. So let's hope everything goes off without a hitch, and your back to your old self in no time. :)
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    @Poohbah1972 Your lasagne looks delicious! I was planning some shrimp for dinner...but looking at that picture makes me want to change plans.

Ahah.. I'm actually having Shrimp for dinner tonight. :)
    We walked and walked and walked ...left at 5am this morning ....we walked 4 hours and 30 minutes ....10.19 miles (WHAAAAT) 1863 calories burned ...and 26,453 (for our walk) there will be more by tonight ....we are all pooped ..I felt nauseous out there but I am fine now ...111 today ....it was almost 80 at 5am ... 113 tomorrow glad we are resting tomorrow and watching nascar :)

Insane burgers... That's all i gotta say about that. :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Jonathan ....Do you test your blood sugar? You no longer getting hyperglycemic? I know I felt like a pile of poop on those days. Yes I do test my blood sugar twice a week (yesterday was 104) ....I do get hypoglycemic hint is why I had to stop fasting
  • 888Angie888
    Options
    @littleflutterby Thanks for the tips. I'm traveling next weekend and will try to book a hotel with a good lap pool to practice🙂.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @lmf1012
    Nice loss! Hitting a new decade will be exciting.

@Tazaria87
    Bloat should be gone in a day or two. Try to increase your water for a few days.

@red1185
    A reward sounds like a great idea. I can’t wait to hear what you decide to get. I use a roller with a mixture of essential oils that I rub on my temples. It helps. Do you find the lavender oil helps with sleep?

@888Angie888
    Awesome steps!

@jimboden3
    It is great to get an update from you. Best of luck with your surgery! Keep us updated on how it went. Enjoy your holiday.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Under exercise I get a ton of information but no distance. It gives me time, calories burned, zone minutes, impact on day, etc.

What a great walk! Congrats on reaching your 10 mile goal.

@littleflutterby
    I hope you can get worker’s compensation to pay. With my insurance it covers the first 500 and only 80% of that. I signed up for the trail of Noom and I didn’t like the food diary. Maybe I didn’t give it a fair chance.

@Poobah1972
    That’s a pretty amazing NSV!
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018 Thank you! :)

Good Evening Everyong...😎

IT's a been a pretty jam-packed day and it's not quite over yet.

Grocery Shopping - 4 different stores check.

Go home, start cooking lunch for the family. (bacon wrapped jumbo juices on the BBQ) check.

Vacuum pack 10 packages of 8 Italian sausages to get us through the next 2.5 months. Check (it was a good sale).

Jump on MFP for a minute.. Check

Then we out to Fielding Park for a walk in the nice hot weather... Check (429 calories). 🤠👍

Then we drove straight to Nipawin Beach, for a nice Swim... Check (262 Calories). 😉

I really have no idea how the Fitbit determines the burn for swimming though? Seems strange, somehow, it's just told me I climbed 50 stories today... I don't see how. lol

And the entire time we were in the water we did laps back and forth the Bouy lines. I looked at Lynn and said "You know Tahlia would be swimming laps around us". Lynn Replies "Yeah Probably..." Then we both look at each with a smirk and simultaneously said. "Um, there's no probably about it." lol (true story) 😁

I was mostly doing breast stroke, with a little doggy paddle, and a little back stroke... Now my lats and shoulders are definitely feeling it. Not that they weren't sore to being with though.

And now, I've just cut a bunch of Veggies for an Oriental Shrimp Stir-fry... And Lynn is working on some Jalapeno Poppers. Poppers are about to go in the oven, So I better get my *kitten* moving. 🙂

CHOW FOR NOW! 🤗

gocq24la10vn.jpg
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Under exercise I get a ton of information but no distance. It gives me time, calories burned, zone minutes, impact on day, etc.

What a great walk! Congrats on reaching your 10 mile goal.

@littleflutterby
    I hope you can get worker’s compensation to pay. With my insurance it covers the first 500 and only 80% of that. I signed up for the trail of Noom and I didn’t like the food diary. Maybe I didn’t give it a fair chance.

@Poobah1972
    That’s a pretty amazing NSV!

Hmmm I click on walk on my fitbit ...it tells me miles, cals, minutes and steps ... fitbit versa and fitbit versa2

Thank you ... I was excited to finally reach it again :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018 Thank you! :)

Good Evening Everyong...😎

IT's a been a pretty jam-packed day and it's not quite over yet.

Grocery Shopping - 4 different stores check.

Go home, start cooking lunch for the family. (bacon wrapped jumbo juices on the BBQ) check.

Vacuum pack 10 packages of 8 Italian sausages to get us through the next 2.5 months. Check (it was a good sale).

Jump on MFP for a minute.. Check

Then we out to Fielding Park for a walk in the nice hot weather... Check (429 calories). 🤠👍

Then we drove straight to Nipawin Beach, for a nice Swim... Check (262 Calories). 😉

I really have no idea how the Fitbit determines the burn for swimming though? Seems strange, somehow, it's just told me I climbed 50 stories today... I don't see how. lol

And the entire time we were in the water we did laps back and forth the Bouy lines. I looked at Lynn and said "You know Tahlia would be swimming laps around us". Lynn Replies "Yeah Probably..." Then we both look at each with a smirk and simultaneously said. "Um, there's no probably about it." lol (true story) 😁

I was mostly doing breast stroke, with a little doggy paddle, and a little back stroke... Now my lats and shoulders are definitely feeling it. Not that they weren't sore to being with though.

And now, I've just cut a bunch of Veggies for an Oriental Shrimp Stir-fry... And Lynn is working on some Jalapeno Poppers. Poppers are about to go in the oven, So I better get my *kitten* moving. 🙂

CHOW FOR NOW! 🤗

gocq24la10vn.jpg

For swimming I use workout instead of the swim mode on the fitbit
  • rlaskey2
    rlaskey2 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Steps 12,277

Stayed in all days yesterday except for taking the kids for their physical. We had had heavy rain from the tropical storm move through. Started phase 2 of my workout program and watched movies with the kids.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @Poobah1972
    You have more patience than me. I will only go to one grocery store. I do price match so does that count? Great job walking and swimming. Swimming is such a great workout. Enjoy your stir fry and poppers.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    I have a charge 4. I always used MapMyWalk when I was walking before my back/leg issues. I never bother with it anymore since I walk shorter distances. I will try and remember tomorrow.

@MSWarrior7088
    I hope things settle down tomorrow. How long does a flare last? Hugs!

@rlaskey2
    Great steps!
This discussion has been closed.