GOAL ZONE Maintenance chat

Options

Replies

• debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have always thought dieting was easier than maintenance. On a diet, there are no cheat days and teats and you rigidly stick to it. I may need to DIET a couple of days a week.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    I have always thought dieting was easier than maintenance. On a diet, there are no cheat days and teats and you rigidly stick to it. I may need to DIET a couple of days a week.

That is interesting - approaches can be so different! When I was in losing mode, I always had one free day a week. I could eat anything that day, but gradually they became a little less insane and more like a preview of many of my maintenance days. But you are right - the need for strict days at least some of the time is absolutely unavoidable. It feels good to be able to balance the looser ones and not get too carried away, that's for sure.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I am sort of here in the Goal Maintenance...I didn't do so great with my first go at it but am going to get to where I want to land in the next couple of months. Theresa, thanks for the reminder of the podcast We only look thin - had heard of them before and forgot, must look that up.
    Managed to stay fairly steady for the last month - and that was without weighing food, logging, checking in here, or doing any deliberate exercise - but I think it was only because I was very busy revamping neglected veg garden AND my stress level had gone down (let's hope that lasts).
    Rustic vegetable garden - deer proof, rabbit proof, and full of things I like to eat (except radishes - I've planted them because I had seeds but not my favourite - will try slicing thin and adding to salad) and lots of flowers.
    I wish MFP would let you shrink photos...anyone know a way to NOT post a huge photo. before and after pics.2nxtxg4p2ozu.jpg
    elyqp4ix6g5l.jpg

• TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible transformation! It looks like it took a lot of work, especially with the fence and raised beds. I hope you get to enjoy all of those delicious veggies (keeping out the deer and rabbits).
    Way to stay pretty steady in the past month! Maintenance feels almost as hard as deficit. You must really have your habits in place. You're welcome about the podcast reminder. I sometimes listen to repeats of We Only Look Thin or relisten to Atomic Habits. Right now though I'm listening to The Institute (a Stephen King novel- not one of his gory ones, it's a lot like the show Stranger Things) on my walks.
    Keep us posted how you're doing.
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @eggfreak I love the big pictures! Great idea to keep the critters out of the garden. I have been giving cucumbers away every day for several weeks now. Quite an abundance this year. I have cooked and frozen 18 pints of squash and have tomatoes ripening that should be ready today or tomorrow. We usually have a large garden but scaled back this year. We didn't plant red potatoes but went to the farm stand and bought a bushel. BLT's I am ready for you. That is my lunch EVERY day during season.
  • jugar
    Options
    @debbiewsharpe
    Your garden sounds fabulous - and much farther south than mine! I'll have my first zucchini in a few days, any ripe tomatoes are a couple of weeks away (and I can only grow the small ones), but the kale (which I have sadly shared with a wily groundhog who somehow got into my federal prison style garden fencing system), rapini, and salad greens are beautiful right now. My daily lunch is a big salad out of all those lovelies with either feta, some kind of beans, or tuna. Fresh oregano and basil, oil and vinegar. The best!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    psjxd12rpkco.png

EVERYONE EXTEND A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO

@gwamajtw91

SHE REACHED HER GOAL WEIGHT THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gwamajtw91
    gwamajtw91 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Beka3695 for suggesting this thread! After being in the weight loss group for 18+ months it feels strange to be here!! I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions for maintaining and not gaining!!!
  • gwamajtw91
    Options
    So I have just read all the posts from the beginning - some really good comments: )
    I definitely like the idea of a magic number & range.
    Highest weight (start) Jan 2020: 176
    Goal weight reached July 2021: 160

I spent most of my teens, 20s, 30s & 40s in the 140-150 range - (at 5'10" I was never super skinny), but now as I approach my 55th birthday I think I would be happy to be in the 150-160 range. As it took me 18 months to lose 16 pounds I am in no rush to lose another 10!!

I was using IF as a tool for weight loss (not eating until 1pm each day), but have now loosened up on that restriction, and basically eat meal #1 at whatever time I feel really hungry. I do try not to eat after 7pm, but that's hard to do sometimes.
    Another habit I am trying to maintain is activity - some sort of exercise (cardio, weights, yoga etc.) in addition to 10k steps a day. As I work in an office & am stuck at a desk for at least 6 hours a day I find it really helps.
  • jugar
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @gwamajtw91

Welcome! It is great to reach the point where you feel you might like to stay for a while. I like the sound of your plan for exercise - with a sitting job, doing cardo and steps helps a great deal. You might also consider a strength workout around 3 times a week - building more muscle helps the weight stay off for sure, and it does not take long. There are a lot of great programs out there.

I am also glad to hear you have relaxed your IF a bit. I think it is a great tool while you still have a lot to lose, but closer to goal, it can be difficult. As long as you don't increase your quantity of food you should be fine.

Keep up the great work - and when you're ready, start chipping away (slowly) at the next 10 pounds. Stay where you are for a bit and you'll feel it when it is time to go down a bit more. Enjoy!

For the moment, I have left you on the regular part of your team roster, rather than moving you down to the Goal Zone section of the team. You could finish out this month there to be sure you don't slip above 160, and then for August, you can move. If you would rather move down the the GZ (where you still weigh in weekly, but it does not count in the team tallies every week) right away, let me know!
  • gwamajtw91
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    @gwamajtw91

For the moment, I have left you on the regular part of your team roster, rather than moving you down to the Goal Zone section of the team. You could finish out this month there to be sure you don't slip above 160, and then for August, you can move. If you would rather move down the the GZ (where you still weigh in weekly, but it does not count in the team tallies every week) right away, let me know!

@jugar OK - I did post a message to @broncobuddee saying GZ Friday 155-160 but I am happy to move in August - whatever is easiest for all involved!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I’m starting to peek at the messages in this thread as I move closer to my goal. I’m hoping to reach 125 pounds by October 2021. Here are my stats:

Female age 55
    5 feet 4 inches tall
    Starting weight (in Dec. 2019): 168
    Current weight: 128.6 (fluctuating +/- one pound)
    Goal weight: 125

My plan is to increase my calorie intake gradually once I reach my goal, and maintain at about 200 more calories. Right now, my daily target is 1200 calories, which I average over the week. So, I should be able to maintain my weight within a target range of 125-130 pounds by consuming a balanced diet of 1400-1500 calories per day, right?

I’m more active in summer so I’ll need to be more careful during winter, which is when I expect to be transitioning from weight loss to weight maintenance. Do you have any advice on how I should approach the next few months to ensure a smooth shift? Thanks for sharing any insights you have for me.
  • jugar
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    You are smart to be planning ahead! The next 2-3 months will pass quickly. I know it is different for each person, but I have found that staying with the same old 1200 calorie target keeps me where I want to be. I allow it to be a bit looser, that's all. I know that if sometimes I don't log every single thing, it is ok, and I sometimes eat into the exercise calories. I'm only 5'1" and older than you are, but that has been my MO for the past almost 9 years.

It helps a lot to have a 5 pound range - you will still fluctuate, and knowing the minimum is as helpful as knowing the point where you get a bit stricter again so that you do not pass that point. Ever. I'm really tough on that - if I get close to the top of my 5 pound range, I get much more careful again for a while. The bottom point, though, is where I get absolutely hungry all the time, and feel a bit panicky about eating. It is worth experimenting with your goal range once in a while to be sure you are happy where you are. I started out with a goal of 120, but I have settled at 114-115 now. It has a lot to do with how muscular you are, what kind of exercise you do, and all that. I suggest you find some good fun things to do to keep moving in winter - even if it is an exercise bike that you have to use in order to watch any favourite episodes of anything! That works well for me - even if it is at a mellow pace, it is better than just sitting there. I'm a winter fanatic and love snowshoeing, so you could come visit :smiley:

The smooth shift is mainly about staying on top of things. Don't let a trend get going! I look forward to seeing what others might have to say about this question.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal :
    I've reached my maintenance point many times, and each time I shot up again like a toy springy thing.

Now, I'm 5 pounds above maintenance, and here is my strategy to stay there this time as opposed to the previous times:

* I have made the calculations of my BMR and TDEE and I have been following up closely and I have realized that my body needs just slightly less than what MFP proposes, so I'll have to take that into account.

* I will need to give my body at least three months time to adjust, instead of immediately up my calories by 250.

* The goal will be to stay between 69kg and 71kg - not fixate on the 69 number. It will give me a little bit of a wiggle room.

The positives I can depend upon:

* I love fruit and veggies

* I have an all-time easy, healthy breakfast

* My lifestyle is generally pretty active when I can go cycling and diving, which will grant me extra calories to work with

My downfalls:

* The all or nothing attitude is currently under control, but it still feels like a lurking monster in a dark corner ready to pounce

* Eating within goal will always feel like work to me. Yes, I will do it just like I need to work to get paid, like I pay my taxes on time to avoid the fine. Not something I enjoy, but it needs to be done. Nothing would pleasure me more than to curl up in the sofa with a full pint of B&J after eating a big mac&cheese. And then some wine. And then have pancakes in the morning. Sigh ...

* Sedentary days are low cal and I need to own that fact. Certainly during winter time, sedentary days will be the norm during the week and that means a max of 1.750cals. Period. That will not be easy.

In your specific case, I would try to keep around 1200kcal during the winter time, to see how it works out when you are less active than during the summer. Because if you up your intake with 200 and then also have an average of 200 less in expenditure, that's 400 difference, which in your case is 33% more than what you would have now, right? Just food for thought...
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Thank you for the quick response and thoughtful advice @jugar and @Antiopelle. I will probably keep my daily calorie intake at 1200 based on your feedback. That’s very helpful. My body seems to need a month or two to adjust to a new weight at this point; so, unless I keep losing weight, I won’t increase my calorie setting. I’ll probably get a little less restrictive about measuring and the tighten up if I start to gain, as @jugar suggested.

I love winter sports, too, but we don’t get enough snow here in Alexandria, Virginia (just across the river from Washington, DC) so maybe I’ll need to visit my hometown more often. I grew up in Boston and there is a public ice skating rink nearby to visit in winter - and a beach for summer - so it was always easy to find an activity. Here, I row on the river most months but I haven’t been as dedicated to the ‘winter conditioning’ workouts in previous years. I’ll make an extra push to get started this year. I find that burning 200-300 calories through exercise allows me one snack to keep me satisfied each day. I have a few activities to look into for the winter and like the idea of using the cardio machines at the YMCA across the street from my house while watching a movie or series.

Again, I appreciate your insights and look forward to learning more from this group of experienced MFP members. Congratulations to all of you in reaching — and now maintaining— your goals!
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy August! If you're new to maintaining, welcome - it is fantastic to have more people hitting their goal. Feel free to post ideas, struggles, or anything at all - read through some of the older posts when you have time, and keep up with your original team as well. Let's all stay at that goal!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thank you @jugar! I appreciate all the hosts, moderators and volunteers who contribute to the vibrant F2F group and success if its members!

At 130 pounds, I’m still 5 pounds away from my goal weight but I have made better progress since joining the group. As more people are vaccinated, and in-person gatherings increase, I feel as though I’m facing additional challenges. I don’t drink much at home so I’ve definitely had more alcohol calories offered to me at (outdoor) parties this summer! Some trips to catch up with family and friends we haven’t seen for awhile have interrupted my usual workout schedule, too. Now that I’m much more comfortable in my body and clothes, I don’t mind if it takes a little longer than planned to reach my ultimate weight goal (125); however, I don’t want to become complacent either. So, I’m trying to strike the right balance. For example, I try to make sure I never exceed my ‘maintenance’ level calories (1400-1500) even if I go over my daily target of 1200. I signed up for an extra rowing class and set a goal in August to attend yoga class twice a week. I hope the added workout sessions will balance out the time I need to travel to visit family for an upcoming memorial ceremony and to help my sons move back to their college dorms.

Is anyone else needing to make adjustments as we experience the continuing uncertainty of pandemic life?

I’ve faced some challenges through the isolation of quarantine and gradual re-entry to post-vaccine outings but, overall, I’ve felt so fortunate to remain healthy and employed. After experiencing a layoff and overcoming some learning curves to start my own business, I’m grateful to emerge from the COVID cave, still blinking from the light but mostly in better shape than when the shutdown began. I’m not completely ‘there’ yet and, in fact, I’m not really sure where ‘there’ is … I guess my eyes are still adjusting 😆!

What has your experience been like through the latest transition? Do you have any tips or strategies that are working for you?

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts about how to thrive - or just survive? - the ups and downs of increased social interaction. It’s so nice to connect with family, friends, and colleagues again … and also a little challenging!
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    Good morning. I have found that due to Covid I am bored a lot and when I am bored I BAKE. I have shared with neighbors and have several things in the freezer. I am now trying to walk or deep clean the house instead of baking.
    The best thing I bought during Covid is a simple silver chain from Hobby Lobby for $4.00. It is a chain worn around your neck to attach a mask. Anytime I leave the house I wear it, seemed like the mask was on and off all day and this just makes it more convenient.
    I haven't seen my brother or sister since Christmas 2019. I am planning a trip the last week of August to see my sister and her family (4 hours away) and on the way home stop to see my brother. I sure hope I can carry out those plans.
    For a year I cooked at home but we finally started take outs then transitioned into going out to selective restaurants that we felt were safe. I have enjoyed eating out again and find that I eat less. They bring you a plate and you are finished. At home I find myself tasting while cooking, eating seconds and even finishing little bites of what is left when it is not enough for later. I had to STOP doing that.
    Covid has changed our world and here in NC we are really going in the wrong direction. More and more cases. Church was closed to in person for a year and now we may have to go back to some very strict procedures. I need to look at the positives, Larry and I are healthy and our family has not had any serious illness so I count my blessings and pray for life as it once was.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @debbiewsharpe - Thank you for the tips and reflections! I had to break the habit of ‘sampling’ while preparing dinner, too. I try to cook before I feel very hungry or consciously eat a healthy snack before cooking so my eating is more intentional and I’m able to measure/track the amounts. Eating at home still works better for me than restaurants because I don’t add as much sauce and my portions are usually smaller at home.

Your perspective on ‘dine-in’ eating was interesting to me. If the restaurant portion sizes are appropriate, it can definitely work with my nutrition plan. The problem is more my behavior. I feel the need to finish everything on my plate. Sometimes, I’ll ask for a takeout container, and half the meal, as many successful diners suggest; but, I don’t think ahead enough in that regard. And, so many options appeal to my family members that we tend to order too much. Ordering takeout and eating at home works better for us because we’ll sample just enough to feel satisfied and save the rest as leftovers for another day. We still add a tip for takeout orders during the pandemic so the servers don’t lose out on income, and it’s worked well for us, but I feel a bit guilty using up all the extra disposable material. So, I really should try to order the right amounts and resist trying every menu option in one sitting!

I hope you have a nice trip to visit your sister and brother. Enjoy!
  • jugar
    Options
    The pandemic has certainly made it difficult to see family - I live in Canada but my parents, siblings, and nieces are all in the US. I have not crossed the border since December 2019, and I really miss seeing everyone. My parents are in their 90s, so I especially miss being able to see them. I was supposed to leave Sunday to go see my dad, who is only a few hours' drive away, but my stepmother called Saturday to say there were too many cases of Delta in her area and she did not want me to take any chances. We are all vaccinated, but we will wait until things calm down a bit. Dang!!

Through the pandemic, I have been lucky to live out in a rural area where getting outside without seeing other human beings has been very easy. We have a large piece of forest with great trails, a big vegetable garden, a small apple orchard, and plenty to keep us busy at home. On the other hand, I am a musician, and any opportunities to play music with other people and do the performances I had scheduled have been stopped. This has been terribly difficult - luckily for me, not financially. I am retired from the university position I had, but I miss playing and working on interesting music with others. Hopefully we'll be back at it soon! Food has been fairly easy to keep under control. We rarely eat out anyhow, and have not bothered with take-out meals. I have enjoyed baking a bit too much, but I have a 24 year old son who takes up the slack very effectively! We eat our bit, and then send the rest down to his house. I do graze a bit too much, but so far have not slipped out of my maintenance range. I need to start making more of an effort to see other people, though. I'm going a bit stir crazy.