Replies

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Username: Beautyofdreams
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW: 145.5
    CW: 145.0

@Megan_smartiepants1970 I usually increase weight when I can perform all working sets with all reps in proper form.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,435 Member
    Options
    We have a new member heading our way .... Please welcome @Shannonsto :)
  • iradi8
    iradi8 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Steps:
    7/18 6995
    7/19 11611
    7/20 13526
    7/21 12348
    7/22 7688
    7/23 13505
    7/24 13270
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sorry for delay in steps. Its been a week, lol

18/7-  8412 +35 min swim
    19/7- 8536 +30 min swim
    20/7-  9328
    21/7- 7521
    22/7- 7171
    23/7- 8251
    24/7- 6842

25/7- 12898
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Here is my friendly reminder of the people's steps I need

@littleflutterby 7/18-7/24
    @Piqueaboo 7/19-7/24
    @red1185 7/24
    @lmf1012 7/24
    @Beverly2Hansen 7/18-7/24
    @amymartin555 7/18-7/24
    @MSWarrior7088 7/24

If I do not have your steps by Tuesday 7/27..I will be zeroing them out ....Thanks Ladies for your cooperation :)

Steps!

Monday 13 985
    Tuesday 7 034
    Wednesday 11 203
    Thursday 6 785
    Friday 8 606
    Saturday 204 (I charged my Fitbit and forgot to wear it)
    Sunday 12 662

• mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Username: mszoueb
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    PW: 224.6
    CW: 222.8

---
    Hi all, here for Monday check in.

Had a lovely time at the beach a few days ago which was one positive of last week. I'm dubious on this weigh in number, I think it's due to either hormonal or not getting enough water in because it sure isn't food related. Whilst I did good first 4 days of the week then life moments happened and I've ate all things that shouldn't equate to any loss, but I'll take it and see how this week pans out. I might be going for lunch today. Whilst I didn't achieve my aims of the month in the way I wanted to, at least with this breakeven, I can see if it stays, re-adjust and work getting back to ending next month on a loss.. my end of year goals are still within reach.

One of my goals for next month is to reduce eating out. It's quite clearly stalled my progress in the last month or two, but it is good to get to do things again as all covid restrictions have legally ceased last week, yet still implied guidance pretty much now. Covid is rising a lot here so, we are definitely not out of the woods.

Have a great week everyone!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @rwood566
    That’s quite the walk! Well done!

@rlaskey2
    Awesome steps!

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Anytime I did strength training I had a book to record my weights. Different muscle groups I used different amount of weights. This is just off the top of my head but I would use more weight on a lat pull down than a chest press for example. I would increase the weight when I could do 3 reps of 12 without difficulty. I am no expert. The book really helps.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    My plan tomorrow is to use my home gym ... I am a complete newbie when it comes to weight lifting ... I will be starting on 10 lbs and working my way up to 150 lbs ... for all you weight lifters how often do you up the weight?
    Thanks in advance :) I will be using the home gym 3 days a week M W F and walking 3 days a weeks Tues. Thurs and Saturday ... I am excited to get back into working out ... it has been too long

Good morning Meagan...

Generally, starting off I would recommend 5 to 6 sets per muscle groups... Generally you hit the biggest muscle groups first (so your fresh). So for example on chest/tricep days...

You could do

Chest
    3 sets of chest press @ 6-12 reps
    3 sets of Fly's @ 10-15 Reps
    3 sets of Tricep Pushdowns (Using your high cable) 10-15 reps
    2 sets Tricep Overhead extensions @ 15-20 reps

Chest being your major, and triceps being the minor... Wouldn't hurt to add 3-5 sets of shoulder work too, like lateral raises and overhead shoulder presses.

The latter exercise basically you face away from your machine put one leg forward and bend over somewhat and then extend your arms so they are pointing straight out, then bend at the elbow behind your head and straighten your arms etc.

Generally chest is you major muscle group of the day, Low rep counts build strength, high rep counts build endurance and vascularity. You want to lift as much weight as you can where you generally fail before you get to the max rep range.

So say you managed 12 reps, 11 reps and then, 9 reps... You could move up 5 pounds cause you will likely still do pretty good next time. But if you hit 9 reps, 8, and 7 reps... Probably a good idea to stay there next week.

Basically if your close to the max rep range on the first set, you should really consider adding weight the following week. Also if you hit your max rep range, and still have something in the tank, keep going till you can't go anymore. That's where you force your body to build muscle... You don't want it to be easy.

Your other 2 days of weight training per week should be...

Back / Biceps

And of course LEG DAY!

And you can throw some core training, situps, planks etc anytime you want really.

I could assist further if you like... For example I like to work biceps in the 12-15 rep range and a killer 30 rep set, cause biceps tend to like higher rep routines.. Plus you don't hurt your wrists as much.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Catch up on posts and check in after my walk. I need to beat the heat!
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    FYI I think it's got my bone mass all wrong... No way is 7 pounds of bones holding together a near 400 pound body.. Just saying. :)
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    utjgcurjp07e.png

Hey Team! As we wrap up July let's have a fun and easy challenge!

So, hop on over to WEEK FIVE-PHOTO CHALLENGE

For some extra fun post your daily picture to your team so that you can get to know each other even better! :)
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    7/25
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 81oz
    Steps 2176

Sunday was rest day as usual. Went to my parent's house in the afternoon to hang out. Took the kids to swim lessons, then back to my parent's for dinner. Got home past the kids' bed time so they went off to bed right away and the husband and I relaxed and watched a show until our bedtime.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,435 Member
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    My plan tomorrow is to use my home gym ... I am a complete newbie when it comes to weight lifting ... I will be starting on 10 lbs and working my way up to 150 lbs ... for all you weight lifters how often do you up the weight?
    Thanks in advance :) I will be using the home gym 3 days a week M W F and walking 3 days a weeks Tues. Thurs and Saturday ... I am excited to get back into working out ... it has been too long

Good morning Meagan...

Generally, starting off I would recommend 5 to 6 sets per muscle groups... Generally you hit the biggest muscle groups first (so your fresh). So for example on chest/tricep days...

You could do

Chest

Chest being your major, and triceps being the minor... Wouldn't hurt to add 3-5 sets of shoulder work too, like lateral raises and overhead shoulder presses.

The latter exercise basically you face away from your machine put one leg forward and bend over somewhat and then extend your arms so they are pointing straight out, then bend at the elbow behind your head and straighten your arms etc.

Generally chest is you major muscle group of the day, Low rep counts build strength, high rep counts build endurance and vascularity. You want to lift as much weight as you can where you generally fail before you get to the max rep range.

So say you managed 12 reps, 11 reps and then, 9 reps... You could move up 5 pounds cause you will likely still do pretty good next time. But if you hit 9 reps, 8, and 7 reps... Probably a good idea to stay there next week.

Basically if your close to the max rep range on the first set, you should really consider adding weight the following week. Also if you hit your max rep range, and still have something in the tank, keep going till you can't go anymore. That's where you force your body to build muscle... You don't want it to be easy.

Back / Biceps

And of course LEG DAY!

And you can throw some core training, situps, planks etc anytime you want really.

I could assist further if you like... For example I like to work biceps in the 12-15 rep range and a killer 30 rep set, cause biceps tend to like higher rep routines.. Plus you don't hurt your wrists as much.

I believe this is a total body gym and I plan on using it M W F and walk the other 3 days ...I would love for you to assist me further ... I need to get the lingo down also ... see I told you I am a complete newbie LOL... I was going to leave it on 10 lbs for a month and then change it ... I am terrified of hurting myself .... remember I am old (50)
  • Poobah1972
    edited July 2021
    Options

Good morning Meagan...

You could do

Chest

Back / Biceps

And of course LEG DAY!

I believe this is a total body gym and I plan on using it M W F and walk the other 3 days ...I would love for you to assist me further ... I need to get the lingo down also ... see I told you I am a complete newbie LOL... I was going to leave it on 10 lbs for a month and then change it ... I am terrified of hurting myself .... remember I am old (50)

10lbs is probably a little light for major muscle groups, but on others it might be to much.. Like lateral shoulder raises, could be hard even at 5 pounds.

You should stretch whatever your working out that day... Usually for chest / Triceps day.. You should do a warm up set at about half what you would normally do, and doing more reps as well. This will flush your muscles full of oxygenate blood and which will actually help your actual work sets. Doing the 1 warm up set of chest press, will also automatically warm up your triceps and to some degree your shoulders. I usually just do the one warm up set at the start of the workout.

Just see how it goes, if you find you can easily do 15 reps of chest press then definitely don't be shy to move it up. As chest as generally it isn't recommended to hit chests for more the 15 reps as it likes heavy sets.
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited July 2021
    Options
    FYI I think it's got my bone mass all wrong... No way is 7 pounds of bones holding together a near 400 pound body.. Just saying. :)

From the info on my scale it’s a measurement of your bone tissue in your body. It says that normal is between 4.9 and 6.2. My measurement is 6.6lb.

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Steps
    7/24 3,121
    7/25 10,214
This discussion has been closed.