Steps: 10,623+
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    KakoHikes wrote: »
    Wednesday 08/25
    Tracked: Yes
    Under Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes 45 minutes ring fit adventure

Do you guys count stretching as part of your exercise time? I normally count my warm up doing dynamic stretches, but at the end do not count any static stretches I do.

@KakoHikes I absolutely count my yoga/stretching as exercise. If you've ever gone to a yoga class and felt sore the next day--it's real work! I also still make sure I get in a good strength and cardio workout still, but that yoga is part of my daily regime.
  • Veeedot
    Veeedot Posts: 122 Member
    Username- veeedot
    Week- week 4
    PW- 219lbs
    CW- 217lbs
  • KakoHikes
    KakoHikes Posts: 410 Member
    edited August 2021
    Thursday 08/26
    Exercise: Yes, 35 minutes ring fit

@veeedot @AB0215 Thanks for the responses.
    I can see the reasoning behind that, you sit doing some movement/working muscles that you wouldn’t do otherwise and it is an important part of your routine. My dr recommending doing 10 minutes of stretches afterwards but I still don’t spend that much time stretching, probably about 5 minutes instead, keep on saying I am going to look up some more stretches to do, has yet to happen.

Haven’t really tried yoga before, there are some yoga moves on ring fit, but I tend to avoid those, even though I probably shouldn’t, my balance is horrible. Another thing on my list :)
  • AB0215
    Thursday 08/26
    Exercise: Yes, 35 minutes ring fit

@veeedot @AB0215 Thanks for the responses.
    I can see the reasoning behind that, you sit doing some movement/working muscles that you wouldn’t do otherwise and it is an important part of your routine. My dr recommending doing 10 minutes of stretches afterwards but I still don’t spend that much time stretching, probably about 5 minutes instead, keep on saying I am going to look up some more stretches to do, has yet to happen.

Haven’t really tried yoga before, there are some yoga moves on ring fit, but I tend to avoid those, even though I probably shouldn’t, my balance is horrible. Another thing on my list :)

@KakoHikes I was anti yoga for a very long time. A couple years ago my weightlifting coach (male) convinced me to give it a try, he literally taught a yoga class to change my mind. Let's just say, it wasn't what I expected, those stereotypical images we all see of like moms/women doing yoga, not at all what my experience was, not to mention, you can personalize it, and you should because we all have our own areas we need to work on. Also, much to my surprise, I was super sore for 48 hours! I was shocked.
    If you're at all interested, you should find some like youtube tutorials to find out what exercises are out there and I am currently only doing 10 minutes a day, totally do-able.

Also-fun fact, while stretching after a workout is great (and I literally never do it), I do 10 minutes of yoga/stretching a day, any time during the day, and you'll still get those benefits! You'll be surprised how quick your body responds. I got out of that routine for months, and was having a hard time painting my toenails (embarrassing for sure) because I have tight hips, after just a few weeks, I'm good again!
  • KakoHikes
    Friday 08/27
    Under Calories: No
    Exercise: Yes, 25 minutes walking be google fit and 40 move minutes.
    Went grocery shopping in next town over, was police activity in my town just as was about to go shopping and bridge was closed for a while. I didn’t want to deal with the traffic. Unfamiliar with layout of the store in next town and they were in middle of remodel so did a LOT of circles. Also got noodles for dinner that put me over my calorie

Saturday 08/28
    Tracked: Mostly
    Under Calories: No
    Exercise: No
    Days not over but my info is not going to improve. Went to a friend’s wedding and had cake… I don’t even want to know how many calories were in that. It was a nice outside wedding, they kept it small, only about 25 people but still I am not used to being around that many people in a social setting. I enjoyed myself and am glad I went but am mentally done and can not get up motivation to exercise.
  • KakoHikes
    AB0215 wrote: »
    @KakoHikes I was anti yoga for a very long time. A couple years ago my weightlifting coach (male) convinced me to give it a try, he literally taught a yoga class to change my mind. Let's just say, it wasn't what I expected, those stereotypical images we all see of like moms/women doing yoga, not at all what my experience was, not to mention, you can personalize it, and you should because we all have our own areas we need to work on. Also, much to my surprise, I was super sore for 48 hours! I was shocked.
    If you're at all interested, you should find some like youtube tutorials to find out what exercises are out there and I am currently only doing 10 minutes a day, totally do-able.

Also-fun fact, while stretching after a workout is great (and I literally never do it), I do 10 minutes of yoga/stretching a day, any time during the day, and you'll still get those benefits! You'll be surprised how quick your body responds. I got out of that routine for months, and was having a hard time painting my toenails (embarrassing for sure) because I have tight hips, after just a few weeks, I'm good again!

Thanks for the encouragement. I really do want to improve my flexibility and balance. At first I felt am to fat to do it, but people of all body times can be flexible/do yoga. I probably have some of the same stereotype views of yoga you used to. I would like to try some of the moves but do not want the mediation/spirituality aspect of it. Trying something new is also hard for me, I like my routine but know for exercise you do need to change things up. I’ve googled a bit and have a couple different videos to try out. Goal is to do that sometime this week.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 wrote: »

Thanks for the encouragement. I really do want to improve my flexibility and balance. At first I felt am to fat to do it, but people of all body times can be flexible/do yoga. I probably have some of the same stereotype views of yoga you used to. I would like to try some of the moves but do not want the mediation/spirituality aspect of it. Trying something new is also hard for me, I like my routine but know for exercise you do need to change things up. I’ve googled a bit and have a couple different videos to try out. Goal is to do that sometime this week.

@KakoHikes It will feel foreign and super hard at first, the trick is to realize that, start small and ease your way into deeper stretches, and I am by no means an expert, just my 2 cents, You'll be surprised at how well your body responds if you just do a little a day. The yoga has even improved my ability to walk faster and longer distances so it's totally worth it in the long run.
  • AB0215
    tzuvsms4x697.jpg
    **August Week 4**
    g3jetnqqnzsg.gif

This Week's Winners (posted 6-7 times):

@Kakohikes.

This Week's Honorable Mention:

@Veeedot. - posted 2 times
    mdls2vxf2leb.gif

Week 4 Results have also been posted!!

Congrats to our top 3:
    1st - @Veeedot. - 0.91%
    2nd - @dracocapricorn. - 0.84%
    3rd - @Kakohikes. - 0.65%

Finale Results have also been posted!!

Congrats to our top 3:
    1st - @Veeedot. - 3.98%
    2nd - @Kakohikes. - 2.98%
    3rd - @Reneeduke1. - 1.76%
    2uweco3mgzor.gif

The August Thread is now closed. Please move all discussion to the September Thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10841713/team-run-track-minds-september#latest
This discussion has been closed.