What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    In Every Mirror She's Black by Lolá Ákínmádé Åkerström. Not what I was promised or what I expected, but a relatively quick read.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I hope to finish The Footprints of God by Greg Iles tonight. A techno-thriller from 2003 that is dated and worthy of a skip, not very compelling story either.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    California Gold, a historical fiction epic by John Jakes (author of the North and South trilogy).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey last night, book 14 in the Pern series. I really like this series, it is a little older, the book I finished was from 1996.

Now I am reading a new release, The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey by Shawn Speakman. This book is a sci-fi, I am not very far into it yet but it has gotten my attention with Mech robots. I hope there is a great Mech battle scene in here someplace (I used to love Robotech as a child).
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny. I quite enjoy this series and look forward to the new book each year.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I just finished "Nervous Conditions" by Tsitsi Dangarembga. Engrossing. Gotta find a new good read!
  • JeanPatrickII
    JeanPatrickII Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Reading "Stick with it" by Sean Young, PhD.
    It's a book about how to change things in our own or other people's life by an expert in Behaviour change.

To try it out, I'm applying it to fat loss, which I feel provides the right type of timeframe to try ideas. As if something works, it should be clear by a few months.

Sean Young has seven big ideas for how to bring lasting change.
    It goes like this

S - (Stepladders) Dreams are good for motivation. Goals should be achievable in less than three months; otherwise, they are dreams, steps (tiny) are what to mostly focus on
    C - (Community) brought me here. Having a community is good for changing. Hi.
    I -
    E -
    N -
    C -
    E -

The last few items are empty. I am currently reading it :)
  • Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    An Irish Country Welcome by Patrick Taylor. I have read everything in this series so far. Set in Ireland in a small town. It's like the characters are friends.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander #8) by Diana Gabaldon. It's Outlander, so it's awesome, and really, really long. I'm getting ready for book #9 in November, trying to get current with the story.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander #8) by Diana Gabaldon. It's Outlander, so it's awesome, and really, really long. I'm getting ready for book #9 in November, trying to get current with the story.

I'm ready for Book #9. Can't wait to find out how the story continues.
    Enjoy Book #8.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finally finished book 8 of Outlander, it was a 5 star read like all the rest of them for me.

Now I am on to Make Me (Jack Reacher book 20) by Lee Child. Reacher finds himself sticking his nose in some business that ends up being a problem, just like in all of the books. I wonder if Jack Reacher ever goes into a town and nothing is happening so he just moves on? Of course, that wouldn't be much of a story...
  • Hanoverlady1
    Options
    Catfish_Fan, you might like to try the author I just finished, Marc Cameron. He has done some of the "continuation" of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series. I most recently finished "Brute Force", which is number 6 in his Jericho Quinn series.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Now I am on to Make Me (Jack Reacher book 20) by Lee Child. Reacher finds himself sticking his nose in some business that ends up being a problem, just like in all of the books. I wonder if Jack Reacher ever goes into a town and nothing is happening so he just moves on? Of course, that wouldn't be much of a story...

Now that was the first Jack Reacher book that I hated. I should have DNF'd. It was graphic and brutal, without giving away the plot, I just plain didn't like the storyline at all. Well, not every book is for every person, and I have liked the previous 19 books in the series. Maybe 21 will be better?

I stepped back and read a couple of books of short stories, Dark Screams Volume 2 edited by Richard Chizmar and then To Build a Fire and Other Favorite Stories by Jack London. Both better. Now I am reading To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers, this is a sci-fi novella. The new Brandon Sanderson Skyward series (sci-fi) novella Sunreach just came out too, that is near the top of mount TBR. Onward and upward!
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Well I finally finished Stern Men - Elizabeth Gilbert. I t was the book I was reading when my mother passed away 2 months ago - I went through a spell where I couldn't focus and wouldn't be ale to get through more than a page or two at a time.

Now reading Basket Case - Carl Hiaasen
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Well, Imajica by Clive Barker was a 40 hour dud. I don't know why I continued reading it, I guess because I'd gotten so far that I thought I might as well finish my Audible credit's worth... sigh.

On to better books. Terry Brooks had a new book come out today, Child of Light. I'm in line for the audiobook at the library so I won't start that one now. The hardcover from Amazon arrived today, so glad they listened to me and started shipping new books in boxes instead of those soft sided mailers. I had to return a lot of damaged ones before they took my advice. I have almost all of Terry's books in first edition hardcovers, excluding the early ones that are worth a lot of money because of very limited runs. Those I have in reprints.

Next up is the Skyward series novella I previously mentioned. Some short books must balance out that long one.
  • Nanb3447
    Nanb3447 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have read all of the Outlander books and am also ready to #9. I have ordered it from the Poisoned Pen. I just finished “The Vanished Days” by Susanna Kearsley.

• Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Now reading The Shadows by Alex North. A little horror for Halloween.
  • SunnyDays60
    SunnyDays60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am reading Zoo Station by David Downing. First historical fiction novel in the John Russell series.
  • Hanoverlady1
    Options
    Finished "An Irish Country Yuletide" by Patrick Taylor a few days ago. Yesterday I found out that he has retired and will no longer continue the series. I wish him well in retirement but I will very much miss the series.