Fearless October 2021 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. At least in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. But, regardless, all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that. Parades of Halloween candy-crack...And shortly after that Thanksgiving (for some). More and more holiday parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened!!!" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

And now you're justifiably afraid. You're welcome. :lol:
In honor of this being the scary month, you can tackle fear or a scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

It doesn't have to be scary! This month's theme is Fearless October. This will be month 1 of a "prepping for the holidays" basics crash course: This is my 6th holiday season as a low-carber. And I have lost weight during this period in the past. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.

Don't freak though. To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead; log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain scary. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, and in the months ahead, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. Here will be you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. Identify scenarios or patterns that absolutely scare you to death, and tackle the hades out of them.

We're going to compete with ourselves. We'll set up good habits in areas like: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs; however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, or now if you just can't wait, sign in to let us know your personal goals.
We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, you are competing against yourself, and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

em7od5ymabaq.pngLet's go get it!em7od5ymabaq.png

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,328 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to re-join you all this month :) My goals are to get back on Keto (10/1)....walk 5 days a week at least 5 miles ...meal prep weekly......pre-log everything the good the bad and the ugly ( I haven't been honest with myself lately )
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    IN for me:
    October goals:
    Exercise:
    Bike - ride days when weather permits, do spin bike when not - at least 350 miles on the bike (weather permitting).
    Other exercise - upper body workouts at least 3 days a week (body weight and weights)
    Walking - I have noticed that I am a slug if I'm not riding so average at least 7500 steps per day for the month
    Food:
    daily protein at 100+ grams, daily carbs < 150 net grams
    Weight:
    8 lbs down for the month
    Temptation goals - resist the siren songs from the peanut butter and the Halloween candy (yes, we have already gotten some... including mini Reese's... sigh).
  • MJ_Keto
    MJ_Keto Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    Goals: Batch cooking my favorite keto recipes (e.g. shredded chicken), pre-logging food, drinking all my water, avoiding keto "junk" food and focusing on whole foods, maintain running 3x/week and add strength training 2x/week.
  • BerserkerWulfe
    BerserkerWulfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi all new to forum but i'm in.
    October goals
    Prep meals for week - targetting low sugar but with eye on protein levels
    time restricted hours - 18hr fast
    min 3x 45 min walk/ride/row a week

will be happy if i can hit these through October,
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Okay, I'm in.
    October goals:
    To get below 200 lbs. I'm close so it's very doable. I've been in a bit of a slump for about a week, around 204 lbs.
    Now that is finally cooler out, I will start taking walks. I have a little walking path near me that circles a pond. I walked it the other day, it took me around 10 minutes. So a couple of times around should be a great start.
    Start weighing and measuring my food intake. I've been very bad about doing this. Eyeing amounts and trying to find the right food data.
    I have my carb counts down pat. Now to find more options for higher protein. I'm always lacking in that macro.
    Let's do this!
  • stephhethcox
    stephhethcox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to join!
    October goals: go to the gym 4 days a week. Drink 6 glasses of water (as a teacher it's hard to drink bc it's hard to find restroom breaks), and cooking 4 healthy meals a week. Seems simply, right? It's so easy to grab food on the way home. So these goals for me are true goals. I can do it!
    WE got this!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @baconslave
    I'm in again! I want to thank you for the advice you gave me in June. It has helped me greatly in my journey. It's a bit of a different Keto, from what I've read. Letting my fat intake fall where it may and not adding unnecessary fat to my eating style, to achieve a higher percentage number. It seems to work great for me. I can't say I'm ever hungry and the scale and my clothing size is saying it's working! I will post my 10/1 weight tomorrow, as today is still 9/30 and I may have a decrease till the AM. I'm on a challenge that I have already succeeded in September's goal but just might make October end goal and have to change that month end goal too!
    Thank you ALL again for your encouragement here!

My goals are just to continue on as I have:
    1200-1000 max calories
    15+/- 3 Net Carb grams, (I don't freak out if I go slightly over)
    Drink at least 90 oz water/day
    Exercise my 3 off work days/week, my Elliptical for 99 minutes.
    2 meals off days/3 work days (AM before work day is a protein/low carb shake)
    Pre log and plan meals as much as possible
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @baconslave
    I'm in again! I want to thank you for the advice you gave me in June. It has helped me greatly in my journey. It's a bit of a different Keto, from what I've read. Letting my fat intake fall where it may and not adding unnecessary fat to my eating style, to achieve a higher percentage number. It seems to work great for me. I can't say I'm ever hungry and the scale and my clothing size is saying it's working! ...

Yay!!! :heart:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    10/1 138 minute walk 5.93 miles :) ... Is anyone have problem with their #'s being incorrect in their diaries? It shows correct when I changed it to keto at the set up stage ... but my diary shows 40 40 20 ... when it should be 5% carbs... 30% protein and 65% fat
  • MJ_Keto
    Options
    Welcome to October! Starting my day with water and black coffee. I have a walking meeting scheduled with my boss so that will be my exercise for the day (ran 3 miles last night). Looking forward to losing my 8 lbs that have crept on the past year!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm goals… I have so many but should only tackle a couple so as to not become overwhelmed. I will continue to monitor calories, staying low carb most of the time. Evenings and weekends are hard for me without structure so I need to watch portions and not mindlessly inhale food. And finally, even though I loathe it, I need to do some planning ahead each week to ensure I have plenty of options for when i want to grab something not within the calorie budget. We got this guys!
  • MJ_Keto
    Options
    10/1 138 minute walk 5.93 miles :) ... Is anyone have problem with their #'s being incorrect in their diaries? It shows correct when I changed it to keto at the set up stage ... but my diary shows 40 40 20 ... when it should be 5% carbs... 30% protein and 65% fat

I just updated my diary goal macros and they look right. Not sure why it's not showing up correctly for you. Maybe do it again and refresh, or log out and log back in?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited October 2021
    Options
    MJ_Keto wrote: »

I just updated my diary goal macros and they look right. Not sure why it's not showing up correctly for you. Maybe do it again and refresh, or log out and log back in?

I have tried many times ... when I set it up for keto it is correct but when I go to my diary it shows 40 40 20 ..frustrating to say the least
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    workout 3/day:
    10 min morning
    brazil butt lift lunch
    revabs after work/evening

5 poverty days per week (not more than 2 maintenance)

track everything all the time
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    MJ_Keto wrote: »

I have tried many times ... when I set it up for keto it is correct but when I go to my diary it shows 40 40 20 ..frustrating to say the least

It is working correctly today :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    10/2 Food on point and all my other goals were met ...and we walked 68 minutes 2.91 miles I don't usually walk on weekends but I was antsy for some reason ... it was on the warmer side since it was later than we usually walk.. I love my 6am walks instead of 11am
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    I knew yesterday would be a challenge with a potluck friends dinner so I did a 500 cal hike into the morning. Today I logged everything eaten yesterday but I'm sure I missed a thing or two. Back to plan today with a spin class this morning, all food planned for the day and will pre log it shortly. Bowling tonight will be a bonus.