WaistAways Team Chat - DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    @micki48 I tend to live under a bit of a news rock so I am not the most up to date on the tornado situation but it sounds terrible. Glad your family is okay but the devastation must be terrible.
    Sending good vibes for your daughter's job interview! I'm sure the fact it comes with a potential move makes it full of mixed feelings, but I know how supportive you are of her.

Be back with a step report!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Alright folks - I've got a few different things on the report.
    Some people report steps, others report both - thought it would be fun to have categories at the start that track all activities (what our team is built on), but then also have two separate categories that recognize steps only versus other activities only.
    Also planning to show which activities our team is busy doing with their bodies every week!
    Reminder that all numbers are step equivalents - so other activities are always converted to steps for the purposes of comparing apples to apples.
    As the weeks go on I'll try to add some other things (laddering up, individual fitness bests, etc.)
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    12/12 exercise
    60 minutes Peloton + 4752 steps
    12/13 exercise
    30 minutes Peloton + 7052 steps
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @micki48 I'm glad your family is OK - that must've been terrifying for them.

I did it - 80kg deadlift this morning. Unfortunately I was not allowed to go home and back to bed lol, and C had me doing a circuit afterward. :D The circuit included burpees, press ups, crunches, rowing machine, squats, lunges and assault bike. I was strong throughout except maybe the press ups which have always been challenging for me - they did highlight our next goal, however, which is to work on shoulders and chest, ultimately feeding in to the 40kg overhead press on our list.

I realised too late to do anything about it yesterday, but I went for my lunch time walk without my Garmin (it was charging, and would've been finished). I'll be going to feed the ducks again today so will make sure it stays on my wrist. Tea is already made - beef Rogan Josh with lots of veg in it - and I will get something out of the freezer for lunch.

Tonight I think I fancy a quiet evening, but I may try and do some decluttering/organising if I have the energy. We've agreed to tackle paperwork this weekend; the stacks of paperwork on OH's desk are the first thing I see when walking into the office and the mess vexes me lol. There is a box under my desk which has things that need to go into the loft, so that might be my target - I actually bought the box for paperwork relating to the house (it has those hanging folder things in), but we could put some of the other papers we need to keep in there.
  • DD265
    Options
    The new report looks great @ashleycarole86 - thanks for all the effort you're putting in to it!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,041 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 What a report! This is fantastic. It always bothered me when I was doing those reports that the conversion of exercise to steps was great in one way (allowed those who don't get the majority of their exercise from steps to participate) and terrible in another (its invisibility made it seem unfair somehow?). You solved the problem! I hope more people join in - any exercise can count, and yes, there is a conversion for shovelling snow :smiley:
  • jugar
    Options
    Ready, Wednesday people? Hop on there and send in the numbers ---

@AshenMoon
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy
    @PlaneMonkey
    @MandiSaysHey
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @MandiSaysHey Amaretto! A personal fav of mine. Sorry it had to follow a crap day at work.

It was C-O-L-D here today! I did all my exercising indoors. Going to walk around the house a bit to get my steps up a bit more before bed. I couldn't muster even a short walk outdoors today - just didn't have it in me!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @DD265 Your training sessions are always so inspiring. Fun to have an organized plan with a trainer and to be working on specific things. How did you decide on your particular trainer?
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    CW 190.6
    Holding steady. Going to have to work harder to catch up to @ashleycarole86 and reach the decade goal by the end of the month! I've been making good choices on the days my planning calendar has circled. I'll do my best to keep it under control this weekend even though we are travelling out of town for the funeral Friday/Saturday and then returning to a high school girlfriend reunion brunch on Sunday. I went out and bought new outfits last evening and it sure feels great to shop in regular stores so I want to keep this feeling!
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Pw: 234.6
    Cw: 232.0

I stuck with the 16:8 intermittent fasting all week with a few days varying a bit outside my timeframe by half an hour or so. But I also still tracked calories and made mostly good food choices. I'll make a few exceptions this next week and a half or so because of stuff going on, but I think I'll stick with doing the 16:8 rule. Hopefully I'll continue to see good results. This is the best single week loss I've had in a while.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    PW 145
    CW 145.6

@eggfreak I love it!!!! On Monday, we had dress as your favorite holiday character. I saw a little boy all in green, including his face painted. I asked his teacher if Hulk was his favorite, she laughed and said he was the Grinch!!! 🤦‍♀️ Not sure how I messed up that one.
  • DD265
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That's fab @eggfreak!

@ashleycarole86 How I picked my current trainer is a bit of a long story.. :smile:

I first went to a PT in 2009 at a local gym. Nice guys, but pretty generic here's a circuit, here are some machines, go do the thing. I don't think I made any progress at all in ~5 years going there. I went solo in 2014ish when I started a long commute. Began a lifting programme called Fitter, Leaner, Stronger (basically progressive lifting) but found myself going backwards. Went for some physio with J in 2017 and after sounding me out, he offered me a training slot. This was really the beginning of the journey and a love of running (I'd told him I didn't run!) and lifting. J built my body from the ground up, beginning with a seriously strong posterior chain and core. In 2019 we moved away and whilst I tried to keep going once a month, J got busy then Covid hit and I haven't seen him since April 21.

In.. July, I started Stronglifts 5x5. On the second session - so not heavy at all - I couldn't do the squats without my IT bands screaming in the potential-injury way, not the this-is-hard way, and decided to find another trainer. I knew I didn't want a 'personal trainer' based on how spoiled I'd been with the physio approach, but was struggling for somebody I deemed qualified.

In the UK, personal training isn't well regulated and there's a real mixture of qualifications, (lack of) experience and expertise. Physiotherapists generally focus on rehabilitation; they'll earn more on the physio rate than most people are willing to pay for training plus they can typically see more patients for physio than if they combine the two. J loved both aspects of the job so he balanced it for his enjoyment as much as anything.

After a lot of google searching I found C's website; I think the search term was 'physiotherapist personal training'. C is actually a sports injury therapist, so the emphasis is on a return to activity rather than day-to-day function. His website mentioned all the right words (exercise prescription, prevention, strength and conditioning) and said he was previously in the military so I knew that he'd have a good understanding of what it takes to be resilient, that being my ultimate goal. I still needed to meet him, have an initial assessment and see whether we'd train well together - thankfully we do!
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
    Today is my brother's and my daughter's boyfriend's birthday, and a party will be enjoyed. My brother is far away, but will be in our minds as we make merry. We're making an angelfood cake and grilled cheese sandwiches, apparently! Birthday boy's favourite stuff. I'm certainly adding salads, fruit, and plenty of yummy additions to the grilled cheese, including an amazing green tomato turmeric relish that I make every year. So far, its most spectacular use is on grilled cheese sandwiches, so this will be a good chance to use some of it up!

@PlaneMonkey your lineup of funeral followed by lovely reunion sounds so balanced, even if both are opportunities for difficult to track food and drink. Hang in there!

@eggfreak your hulk is fabulous. If you want some help moderating that wine without having to dump it out, give a try to an app called Sunnyside (used to be called Cutback Coach). It has helped me a lot - it is an encouraging and helpful way to set limits.

@MandiSaysHey great job! It looks like the 16:8 is working well for you so far. It is so good to find a method that works without being too difficult or depriving to enjoy.

I had better get some walking and stuff in before the cooking starts...
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @MandiSaysHey Definitely looks like you've got a great strategy going for yourself... keep it up!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    CW 190.6
    Holding steady. Going to have to work harder to catch up to @ashleycarole86 and reach the decade goal by the end of the month!

I've been back in the 190's all week... :) Last week's Thursday weigh-in was definitely a case of a huge overnight drop that happened to fall on my weigh-in day, and I haven't been that low since!

Another justification for why I weigh daily and track my trend weight for myself. I know I'll be up for the team weigh-in tomorrow (sorry team!) but my trend weight this week is still down.

I love that we both have the same goal (enter 2022 in the 180's!!) I have all the faith in the world we can do this. Thanks for sharing the clothing shopping experience, those are the moments that make it all worth it aren't they? Sorry for your loss...

• ashleycarole86
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    I first went to a PT in 2009 at a local gym. Nice guys, but pretty generic here's a circuit, here are some machines, go do the thing. I don't think I made any progress at all in ~5 years going there.

How common this experience is eh? I used to workout at Goodlife on my own (a chain gym here in Canada) and it would drive me nuts to see PT just putting people on the circuit we could do ourselves.

Not knocking the experiences of people who are happy to do that and just require some oversight, but I suspect a lot of folks were just like you and looking for way more out of the process than that level of training can offer.

My best friend Jordan does training that sounds a lot like what you're doing. His main focus is functional movement, injury prevention and the like... he trains a lot in rehabilitation, and his big focus is ensuring that the body is set up to keep moving in a healthy way.
This discussion has been closed.