Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,551 Member
    Options
    Lobster mushrooms.

Hypomyces lactifluorum

They are actually a parasitic fungus that grows on another mushroom. Around here they grow on a species of s Russula (Russula brevipes). They are easy to identify, but they are almost always really filthy and often full of beetles or maggots. After you clean them, you can dry them to use later, or you can saute them and freeze for later if you have more than you want to eat right now.

They are huge. Sorry I didn't put something in this picture for scale, but that piece of paper they're on is bigger than a large cookie sheet.

z813ya4wpq62.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,072 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    My renovation is coming along well. In the rec room, I've finished drywalling, painting etc... This pic is as I was installing flooring... I'm done flooring now and moved back to the laundry room to finish drywall, paint etc..

vo5brjss12vc.png

8na6osxejga0.png

• mtaratoot
    Options
    One of the best exercises to do for paddling is... paddling.

Did that today for three hours.

o40lf8irdm1b.jpg
    4koug08saqtm.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Went for a "walk" (slog?) in the woods looking for more mushrooms. I found a few chanterelles that I picked, and a whole BUNCH of honey mushrooms that I left....
    ncb25djr0yf7.jpg

And I got to visit a waterfall I haven't seen in YEARS.

jr4ypwx1ilt2.jpg

ud59t78ri0v0.jpg

• KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the mushroom pics! I'm just learning about them myself and so far have only dared to eat chanterelles.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    KerryITD wrote: »
    I love the mushroom pics! I'm just learning about them myself and so far have only dared to eat chanterelles.

I was out there to get chanterelles. I got about a half gallon. I'll go back this week, maybe someplace else, maybe back there. I saw that log and thought they looked like Armillaria. A friend told me probably not; probably Galerina. I don't think I agree with her; they are too large to be Galerina.

I also found a couple very small hedgehog mushrooms. They were too small to harvest, but it tells me t hey are about to come out. That will be fun. I'm still hoping to find some Sparassis (cauliflower mushroom). I thought I found a chicken of the woods, but it didn't seem quite right.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Found these choice Hen-of-the-Woods (also known as Maitake) earlier this Fall. I'm still very green at wild mushroom collection so I didn't harvest them at the time. With further research I found there are no lookalikes and allergic reactions are rare.

Those are walnuts on the ground around them (about the size of a tennis ball) for size although the mushrooms are at the base of oak trees. Each mass is probably 5-10 lbs (2.5-4.5 kg) so 30-ish lbs (15-ish kg)total. I'll probably harvest them next year as they do tend to reoccur at the same spot one year to the next. Been boning up on cleaning, cooking, and preserving methods.

og7ncngjm2ij.jpeg
    2767f35evijc.jpeg

Also found a what I think is a Turkey Tail buried in the bremuda grass. Not considered edible but is thought to have cancer fighting chemicals.

a78klale7qnc.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @d_thomas02

That bottom picture looks like a Ganoderma. They grow on wood. Like turkey tails, they are polypore mushrooms. One species of Ganoderma is known as Reshi, and it is used as medicine. Another one is called Artist's Conk, and it has really interesting characteristics.

Nice maitake! Note that hen of the woods is, oddly a LOT different from chicken of the woods. Chicken of the woods is tough, and you can just harvest the outer portion. A friend of mine works for a mushroom spawn company that sells spawn to the people who either grow mushrooms or sell mushroom growing kits. I think they sell a lot of maitake spawn, but her favorite is still shiitake. I'm looking forward to the two logs she gave me fruiting again in spring. I just have to keep them the right moisture level for now. Maitake do grow in the woods around here, but shiitake don't. For some reason they can't. That's ok. They can grow on logs or sawdust.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @d_thomas02

That bottom picture looks like a Ganoderma. They grow on wood. Like turkey tails, they are polypore mushrooms. One species of Ganoderma is known as Reshi, and it is used as medicine. Another one is called Artist's Conk, and it has really interesting characteristics.

After more research, I think you are right. Size alone would rule out Turkey Tail. Turkey Tails are two, maybe three inches across and thin. This specimen was larger than my hand.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    @d_thomas02

After more research, I think you are right. Size alone would rule out Turkey Tail. Turkey Tails are two, maybe three inches across and thin. This specimen was larger than my hand.

Turkey tails grow on wood, too. They are considered "edible," as in they aren't poisonous, but not particularly tasty and tough, tough, tough. I found a couple nice Ganoderma on a foray a couple years ago before COVID when we could go spend time together.... I gave the Reishi to someone who was going to make medicine out of it. We had fun drawing on the artist conk.

After I get the cauliflower kimchi started tomorrow, I might head to the woods to see what I can find. There should be one more flush of chanterelles, and maybe, just maybe, there will be hedgehog. Or I will be lazy and do nothing at all. Or maybe I'll come up with some completely other idea. Vacation time is nice that way. I kind of hate to "waste" it, but I actually enjoy having some completely idle time. Maybe some day you will too... after you stop mowing lawns! Funny because I'm thinking about doing some side-work as a landscaper when I retire. I earned money in college doing that. Nah. I just want to cook now. And eat.
  • d_thomas02
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Turkey tails grow on wood, too. They are considered "edible," as in they aren't poisonous, but not particularly tasty and tough, tough, tough. I found a couple nice Ganoderma on a foray a couple years ago before COVID when we could go spend time together.... I gave the Reishi to someone who was going to make medicine out of it. We had fun drawing on the artist conk.

While I was working today, had the chance to dump leaves on-site in a wooded area. Kept my eyes open and found this on a dead snag, maybe oak.
    dahou3wkbiwx.jpeg

Old, faded, and dried out but still recognizable as Turkey Tails (Trametes versicolor). And the right size too. ;) The ones at eye level are about the size of my thumbnail. Lower on the tree, near the base where there may have been more moisture available while they were growing, they were three times larger.
    cywep89vhppt.jpeg
    ehiluqs7dxqs.jpeg

I collected a few specimens to take home. You can see the pores on the underside.
    z7c5bq71xkky.jpeg

Just above head level I found several False Turkey Tails (Stereum ostrea) also faded and dried. (The name ostrea, from the word 'oyster', describes its shape.)
    mdl8tv1yf1qm.jpeg

Still a polypore but the pores so small, the underside appears smooth.

While the Turkey Tails are too tough to eat, they can be simmered (not hard boiled) for 30 to 120 minutes to extract their medicinal compounds. Turkey Tail tea is suppose to be somewhat bitter but less so than Reishi tea. Other non-water soluble medicinal compounds can be extracted with 100 proof vodka.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    International Buy Nothing Day. Opt Outside!

I went to the forest today to do some mushrooming with a couple friends I married years ago. That was a fun wedding.

We found a whole crap ton of candy caps. That was my goal. It's one I've wanted to learn to ID. My friend told me there were a couple key things to look for, and he could describe them but they would make way more sense if I saw/felt them. True. I've certainly walked over thousands of these while collecting chanterelles but didn't know. Now I do....

lajcejfhbt0l.jpg

We got as many as we wanted, and then a friend found a Sparassis (cauliflower mushroom). I had a two-gallon bucket, so I put my candy caps in a paper sack, and she cut and cleaned the Sparassis and put it in the bucket.

d78crgwv2ngn.jpg

We went back to the car and dropped that off and then spent a while doing a three mile loop and found so many more fun mushrooms including some Tricholoma equestre. These are edible mushrooms that now have an asterisk. I have eaten them before. I took a few; I won't eat pounds a day for several days in a row. A few very small hedgehogs; going back in a week or three should be good for them.

We even found a gnome under a tree.....

b9bfhd3qn8oa.jpg

Went back by their house, enjoyed a beer, and we cooked up some of the Sparassis along with some leftover Mayocoba beans they had. Good times.

And now your quiz. Can you identify this mushroom?

wu22fe9qnk4g.jpg
    p8tq9gquyi89.jpg
  • d_thomas02
    edited November 2021
    Options
    And now your quiz. Can you identify this mushroom?

wu22fe9qnk4g.jpg
    p8tq9gquyi89.jpg

Is it the Gypsy mushroom (Cortinarius caperatus)?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Good answer!

Ridges on cap, not viscid. Annulus present; no vulva. Not growing on wood.

Used to be called Rozites caperata. I sometimes think they change the genus/species or even family just to sell more books.... Nah. We get better at understanding how they are related. The not-really-edible mushroom I always knew as Gomphus floccosis is not known as Turbinellus floccosis. Before my time it was called Cantharellus floccosis.

Taxonomists. Geez.....
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    We almost brought it home, but instead hung it up in a tree so it could disperse its spores over a larger area. We'll go back next year. I've only been mushrooming for about 20 years or so, so I still have a LOT to learn. I did get to go pass on some knowledge about how to ID candy caps with another friend who has good luck with boletes. I wish I was better at finding those. They are SO delicious.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    This is kind of cheating because I didn't get much exercise. I mostly stayed in the truck or standing nearby.

But wow.

It was a surprisingly mild and dry day, and it's late November. I went out to the wildlife refuge to look for Tundra Swans. I saw them. Over a thousand!

I guess I could have taken a walk down the road, but all the trails are closed November 1 - March 31 for the birds.

axb9c2czsjz7.jpg

coauxgmvocqs.jpg

mv49599v3b0g.jpg

1ac372mvsp7l.jpg

I also saw kestrels, harriers, egrets, a red tail, widgeons, coots, shovelers, pintails, Canada geese (and probably Brant's geese, but I can't tell 'em apart), ravens, and lots of mallards. Surprisingly no eagles. I didn't see elk either. Nice day for it; binoculars stayed dry.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Strange Christmas weather we are having this year.

Usually we are cold, sometimes bitterly so. Ice stroms are not unheard of. Rarely we'll even have a white Christmas.

We've been consistently in the mid-60s to the mid-70s F (20 to 25-ish C) all week with more unseasonably warm weather the next few days.

On Christmas day, after the excitement faded, I went out in the late afternoon and looked for winter mushrooms thinking Oysters and Lion's Mane might be found after the rains we've had and now this unseasonably warm weather.

160 acres in the middle of the Ozark Plateau to search with wooded hills, hollows, springs, and creeks.

And it was a great day for a 90 minute hike through the woods, off trail and sliding though dry leaves on top of loose gravel scree down steep slopes into bramble filled hollows. I worked up a sweat with my 26 year old son and 13 year old niece. Truely, it was fun. ;)

No harvestable mushrooms, sad to say (too dry despite the rain a few days back), but the niece was thrilled to gleen an armadillo pelvis with spine that we found. (Found the armor shell too but it stayed in the woods.) She is more than a bit of a nature nut.

We did find tons of dehydrated Turkey Tails and False Turkey Tails, one stump with Reishi way past their prime, and what I'm pretty sure were small half rotten Artist's conk. Saw one small example of what I think were Oyster mushrooms but very small. They didn't really get large enough to identify 100% before they dried out but even though they looked somewhat like bleached out Turkey Tails, they had what looked like decurrent gills.

A bit of a dissapointment mushroom wise, by still good times. (No photos, sorry.)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,072 Member
    Options
    It's typical holiday weather in Ottawa... a good dash of snow and freezing rain... The sidewalks are slick with ice so walking is a hazard I'd rather not risk. In fact, I'm planning to spend a bit of time outside today with an ice scraper as the salt I threw down yesterday looks like it did it's work so I should be able to clear my driveway and front walkway.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Well @d_thomas02 I think we got your snow. It's kind of rare for us, but we got about three inches overnight with three more forecast for today and a bit more over the next 48 hours. Tomorrow there should be enough on the street/sidewalk to go ski. I could probably go today, and maybe I will. First... more coffee.

woeob6e553po.jpg

Hummingbirds are happy to have liquid nectar in the feeder, and the songbirds are going to town on suet, oil seeds, and a nice warm bath. They are knocking all the snow off the bushes.

4g513by1qeqp.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I ended up doing a little tour today. Ski tour.

I put on my skis on the front porch, then went down to Willamette Park. I happened upon a neighbor skiing home after three laps. She said she had set some nice tracks. I ran into some other neighbors about 100 feet farther down the hill walking their dogs. Everyone was out.

I did one lap around the sports fields and through the north part of the park. I didn't go farther south because the snow was absent or really cruddy in the trees to access the other half of the park. It's a big park. I think maybe 600 acres. Then I carefully went back up around the back of the building at the top of the hill where the park entry is. I walked across the snow-free area and into the cemetery. I skied across the cemetery, down to another street, then west to a street that leads back to mine. There wasn't enough snow; I had to be careful. I got to another park and skied across that - it got me off the sidewalk/out of the street. Then I skied back to my street, past my house, down to the nearby field for a lap around there, then a lap around my back yard and up onto the deck to the back door.

Kind of fun to ski out the front door, so a 3.8 mile tour, ski around your back yard, and ski up on the deck to your back door. Probably not my worst day of skiing. And I never have skied through my town.

hb3h973z8h2t.jpg
    45s73lfzkbqm.jpg